18 m square in for next year ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Caro alluded to it being a lock for next year

What the hell is the AFL doing to our game.

This year has seen some cracker games.
Past couple of years we have seen Tigers and Dogs win long awaited flags, the Dees are looming and my Pies are looking good.
With 2 rounds to play we saw Essendon, Port, Crows, Norf all alive in the finals race.

Wish they would stop tinkering with the game. It has a way of naturally evolving.

With a 18m square we could see a kick in after a point land inside the other fwd area.

Saving face for all the bullshit produced this year.

So whats the increased penalty for all the extra rushed behinds it will produce?

Only way we can make the people high up in the AFL who think these rule changes are needed, is to hurt them where they’ll feel it, $$$$.

Fans drop off and poor crowds and they’ll be forced to act on it.

Who wants to go to the footy and see zones and a 18m goal square?? * me!!!

Which club has the most people with connections to it on the committee.
Which club has the longest and skinniest ground in the league
Which clubs ground would benefit from a 18m goalsquare
Which club does AFLPA Dangerfield play for and is in favour of this
Which club did Hocking use to play for
Which club does GW barrack for and has been driving this from the word go

Which club has the most people with connections to it on the committee.
Which club has the longest and skinniest ground in the league
Which clubs ground would benefit from a 18m goalsquare
Which club does AFLPA Dangerfield play for and is in favour of this
Which club did Hocking use to play for
Which club does GW barrack for and has been driving this from the word go

You're paranoid Toff!

2018_SX-Geelong_Launch_06.jpg

I dont get the principle behind an extra reward for the team which, lets face it , was just lucky enough for the attacking team to miss out on six points, and only conceded one.
Its philosophically wrong.

Better to increase the space between the sticks then the poor old defending team gets to contest in the centre
Or award 3 points for a behind

Last edited:
It is only an extra 9 metres. After watching the VFL trial at Coburg, the main change was that almost every kick out after a point was long to the centre rather than the dinky little kicks to the pockets - that can only be a good thing for a free flowing game.

The 6-6-6 starting positions really did nothing to change the look of the game - waste of time in my opinion.

It is only an extra 9 metres. After watching the VFL trial at Coburg, the main change was that almost every kick out after a point was long to the centre rather than the dinky little kicks to the pockets - that can only be a good thing for a free flowing game.

The 6-6-6 starting positions really did nothing to change the look of the game - waste of time in my opinion.

So have a centre bounce after a point. Why have a pseudo measure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely ridiculous!

Expect to see coaches implement and defenders play acting and disguising for rushed behinds in order to just clear out of their defensive zones especially in tight contests late on in games.

If they really want a kick in rule just get rid of the goal square and have a line on the 20/18m mark where the kicker can’t kick behind it during a kick in, that way it wont be restricted to just long bombs. An 18m goal square just takes the tactics and strategy out of kick ins for teams to workout out of defence. Which is fun to observe.

Last edited:

How will it make the game more free flowing? The congestion just moves from outside 50 to the wing. In fact the coaches will simply use it to use more and more short kick in game plans to keep possession. It will achieve absolutely nothing and create more rules to combat this new rule they will stuff up again.

This is stupid, next level dumb. Let’s all recruit an Anthony rocca type, play the ball in our d50 till we incur a rush behind, and then get him to roost to full forward.....now that’s entertainment!

Or dont bring it in without adequate testing? Dont make knee jerk reactional rule changes maybe?
Should be trialed in next years pre season comp I agree but AFL are obviously desperate for 2019 season they don't want the drop in rating they've had this season.

If it backfires Gil should fall on his sword

Should be trialed in next years pre season comp I agree but AFL are obviously desperate for 2019 season they don't want the drop in rating they've had this season.

If it backfires Gil should fall on his sword

If they keep scheduling s**t teams in prime time slots it won't matter what rule changes they bring in as ratings will continue to drop.

Pretty sure the real reason they are bringing in these rule changes is to increase goal scoring and more goals means more opportunities to squeeze in ads.

It's funny how you'd expect massive changes to the game to be tested out for a year or two before being brought in. Not one or two trial games. It's as if the coaching won't evolve after they've played with it for a week.

The AFL have no understanding of unintended consequences and rather than look at unwinding bad rule changes, they'll bring in another rule change to counteract the stupidity of an old rule (or just stop enforcing it after a couple of weeks).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back