Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Has there been a more disappointing player to play 100 games for North?

Geez I hope his future sons can play to make it worth enduring the steaming pile of s**t he takes on the jumper every week.

Some good points back and forth re Atley........ but its not often we're caught with no options for him to deliver the ball to. Last weeks game highlights the lack of footy smarts Atley doesnt have.

What would Wells do if in the same situation?...... do a 180 degree turn and pop it back to allow our forwards do a reset.

2nd half was good. But those two howlers in the first half were unforgivable.

I just don't think we can continue to pump games into him when he is not developing at all. If someone offered a 2nd round pick I'd take it and run

A few years ago he was important only because of his raw pace, we've added a bit of speed to the team now so his one and only strength isn't quite as important to us as it once was. Makes the decision to delist or trade him easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have been screaming for him to be moved up onto a wing or into the midfield mix for years. They have made the change and its obvious that he is having some problems adjusting. He has speed yes, but his decision making is poor at times. He frustrates me because i think he has the physical attributes to be so damaging, yet he just doesnt seem to have the want to tear a game apart.

He had to be to make up for that turnover.

This had me shaking my head for a good 10 minutes.

He had a bloke wide open inside the 50 (Garner?) and then he feigns left to a player, then feigns right to a player, then kicks the ball in to the Melbourne player coming at him......ballgoesdowntheotherendandmelbournegoal.

Why didn't he just take the first AND BEST option?

It gets ******* hard to defend him when he does stuff like that.

He had a bloke wide open inside the 50 (Garner?) and then he feigns left to a player, then feigns right to a player, then kicks the ball in to the Melbourne player coming at him......ballgoesdowntheotherendandmelbournegoal.

Because he's an athlete, not a footballer. Someone with a footballer's brain instinctively gives the handball first time, Shaun has to think about it which gives the opposition time to adjust and intercept.

I reckon if you went back to looked at his worst turnovers throughout his career, they all happen when he has too much time with the ball to make a decision.

People have been screaming for him to be moved up onto a wing or into the midfield mix for years. They have made the change and its obvious that he is having some problems adjusting. He has speed yes, but his decision making is poor at times. He frustrates me because i think he has the physical attributes to be so damaging, yet he just doesnt seem to have the want to tear a game apart.

If we do get Kelly next year and if Ahern recovers from his knee horrors to live up to his potential there wont be a position for him in the side next year.

Williams has taken his old role and is doing it much better, Hrovat has probably already past him in terms of impact and importance, he is running out of time.

For me, the quintessential Shaun Atley moment was in the Sydney game. He bursts off the half back line and looks a million dollars. He thinks about it, tells Brown to lead up at him and then kicks it over his head.
It's sad to see Ats struggle to get any flow in his game. One good game every now and then is definitely not acceptable.

The one thing that Ats does well is running shots for goal. Is very confident when kicking for goal on the run and loves to receive it to advantage before having a ping at it. The problem is, we already have Garner and Co for that.

Apparently he was playing at half forward today? If so, he might find a new role to take on. Or maybe it's just experimentation... Don't know where Ats sits in the current 22.

Even in that play we were talking about the other day, on that vid, he didn't take the first and best option - Cunnington on his own, on the wing.

It's a hard one with Atley. I've got no interest on potting our players.
We've invested a lot in him. There's a bit to like;with his pace. He does as in all the OPs turn it over. Too much.
So IMHO his only positions are wing/ forward flank. Not midfield as he doesn't get it enough.
So I reckon we try him in those positions rather than putting him in the VFL which would be a waste?

I have never had much of a problem with Ats
but I think Clark is amore natural footballer, was great today plus is tougher
and if Mullet has got a gig down back he is gonna get squeezed out, no doubt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back