Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

I just love that the most radical and fervent revolutionary class were known as Sans-culottes immediately before and during the French Revolution. Defined by the absence of a type of clothing.
Silk breaches.
Modern day; mens breifs, underpants are culottes-boxer shorts, all styles, all sexes etc.
Imagine my surprise when I first heard men's underwear being referred to as 'Kangourous' (French spelling).
It had to be explained to me that there was a brand called that with extensive advertising when modern jockey style breifs made their first appearance in the late 40's.
I was like WTF...how could that be, That is so not right.
Cultural chundies confusion.
le seul normal par sa conception.png

Last edited:
Silk breaches.
Modern day; mens breifs, underpants are culottes-boxer shorts, all styles, all sexes etc.
Imagine my surprise when I first heard men's underwear being referred to as 'Kangarous' (French spelling).
It had to be explained to me that there was a brand called that with extensive advertising when modern jockey style breifs made their first appearance in the 60's.
I was like WTF...how could that be, That is so not right.
Cultural chundies confusion.
You should have explained that in Australia they are known as Reg Grundys - that would have confused things further.

Social connectivity being key:

Here I am, trying to reduce my time on the iinterwebz and you just keep posting interesting stuff that I have to read!

I've had a really lovely morning, just mooching around, doing the things I like doing as I've got a full on afternoon (and I've got to go and get some chickens too!). I've been constantly accompanied by my 13 year old cat who is a great companion and always happy to be alongside me.

As usual, I've got music in the background and my choices today really were things I got to hear in 1984 or purchased that year. One of those albums was The Song Remains The Same by Led Zeppelin. And of course, when you start to listen to music that's been in your life for two thirds of it, you start to reminisce. And this track reminds me of a wonderful chat I had with one of the best moderators the Hawthorn board has ever had, and who sadly passed away last year.

Thanks grizzlym. A great mod and a great bloke.

Here I am, trying to reduce my time on the iinterwebz and you just keep posting interesting stuff that I have to read!

I've had a really lovely morning, just mooching around, doing the things I like doing as I've got a full on afternoon (and I've got to go and get some chickens too!). I've been constantly accompanied by my 13 year old cat who is a great companion and always happy to be alongside me.

As usual, I've got music in the background and my choices today really were things I got to hear in 1984 or purchased that year. One of those albums was The Song Remains The Same by Led Zeppelin. And of course, when you start to listen to music that's been in your life for two thirds of it, you start to reminisce. And this track reminds me of a wonderful chat I had with one of the best moderators the Hawthorn board has ever had, and who sadly passed away last year.

Sooo very many things to do, see, feel, remember....many people missed, new characters to meet (the chickens).
Does the family name the chickens? Will the cat (with no known name as yet) be miffed with the new lodgers?
Sooo many machinations in the exquisitly complex lives that we lead.
I'll see your rain song and raise you with this rain song of reminiscence.
Wishing all on the RZSS a productive and soft day ahead.

First Cars File:

VW Fastback 1600 Deluxe 1967 Blue.
Purchased for $800 March 1981
Original Plates Reg. No. KEA 444
Modifications; sports steering wheel, fat tires, flared guards, repainted (not sprayed) a deeper blue than original, cassete deck. All done by previous owner.
Original deluxe interior ie. wooden gear stick knob (like the Karmen Ghia or Porche), bells & whistles for the time.
Named; Gup Gup (After the sound VW's make )
Performance: bad on hills, when you had to fang it to get up the Punt road hill, good on the open road cruising, good on corners with the wider wheels, very economical.
Servicing & maintenance; Regularly serviced at Volksplace in Fitzroy. Rebuilt gear box, worn carburetor arms replaced.
Owned for 2 years until stolen and striped for interior. Written off by insurance company paid out $50 after excess.

I've been having an ongoing conversation about computers in cars for a while with friends and brother. How this development in technology is complicated and the flow on effects of connectivity.
One friend (car nut who is in the car business) was telling me all about how these days you have to buy and continue to pay a subscription to have access to functions in the car ie. even the basics like heating as well as the more sophisticated functions. That this ties you to an economic mill stone and schedule of dependance.
Then there is the lack of control of privacy ie. below article and the fact that this function has been used for ill with DV perpetrators. Let alone the 'Black Mirror' scenario's of imagination of: click you are locked in and taken away or crashed via third party control. Or the basic scenario of 'Pull the plug on Mad Max'.
Ah the cosy benefits of having a low or no tech car.

Sooo very many things to do, see, feel, remember....many people missed, new characters to meet (the chickens).
Does the family name the chickens? Will the cat (with no known name as yet) be miffed with the new lodgers?
Sooo many machinations in the exquisitly complex lives that we lead.
I'll see your rain song and raise you with this rain song of reminiscence.
Wishing all on the RZSS a productive and soft day ahead.

Good morning!

Yes, all our chickens have been named, some clever, some not so (we resorted to the Dr Seuss Thing One and Thing Two for couple). Our older girls are Aioli and Robert (Smith. We're all massive Cure fans and when I got Robert, she had a mate who we named Mary Poole. She's since died). The new girls are named after characters in one of our youngest's favourite films - Chicken Run - Babs and Ginger.

The cat (who is one of five) is named Mr Honeybunny. And he's currently headbutting me demanding to be fed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old Alternative / Punk / Bolshevik Art Crowd Hanger On / University Poseur in me wants to say there is 100% too much guitar in that Jimi Page picture.

The old Alternative / Punk / Bolshevik Art Crowd Hanger On / University Poseur in me wants to say there is 100% too much guitar in that Jimi Page picture.
Is that the same part that wants to say there is not enough of a percentage of beans in the below picture?

First Cars File:

VW Fastback 1600 Deluxe 1967 Blue.
Purchased for $800 March 1981
Original Plates Reg. No. KEA 444
Modifications; sports steering wheel, fat tires, flared guards, repainted (not sprayed) a deeper blue than original, cassete deck. All done by previous owner.
Original deluxe interior ie. wooden gear stick knob (like the Karmen Ghia or Porche), bells & whistles for the time.
Named; Gup Gup (After the sound VW's make )
Performance: bad on hills, when you had to fang it to get up the Punt road hill, good on the open road cruising, good on corners with the wider wheels, very economical.
Servicing & maintenance; Regularly serviced at Volksplace in Fitzroy. Rebuilt gear box, worn carburetor arms replaced.
Owned for 2 years until stolen and striped for interior. Written off by insurance company paid out $50 after excess.

I've been having an ongoing conversation about computers in cars for a while with friends and brother. How this development in technology is complicated and the flow on effects of connectivity.
One friend (car nut who is in the car business) was telling me all about how these days you have to buy and continue to pay a subscription to have access to functions in the car ie. even the basics like heating as well as the more sophisticated functions. That this ties you to an economic mill stone and schedule of dependance.
Then there is the lack of control of privacy ie. below article and the fact that this function has been used for ill with DV perpetrators. Let alone the 'Black Mirror' scenario's of imagination of: click you are locked in and taken away or crashed via third party control. Or the basic scenario of 'Pull the plug on Mad Max'.
Ah the cosy benefits of having a low or no tech car.

1714545003239.jpeg
First car - Silver 1972 HQ Holden Premier. It was my bapou’s and I bought it from my yiayia after he died. Column shift, 202 motor, bench front seat, heater that was initially temperamental before dying completely and an AM Radio that was on 3XY, 3LO, 3AR or of course 3KZ. Loved that car. It meant freedom.

Last edited:
I've only had 6 cars in 43 years of driving and everyone of them 2nd hand.
Graduating from the poor (wo)man's Karmen Ghia just before the turn of the century to the luxury of AC and a heater that you didn't have to make sure the window was always open or run the risk of being gassed.
The second fastback had no clip on the 4th gear so I had to drive with my left leg hooked over it when cruising or hold it in in town traffic and that was for years.
All but the latest have been manual and I still after 5 years sometimes depress the nonexistent clutch.
This list does not include driving cars in France, where there used to be a deal of a new car leased with airline tickets, which was generally a brand spanking new Peugeot 303 for 6months. Ah the joys of getting in the drivers seat and wtf no steering wheel!
In order of appearance:
'Gup Gup' VW Fastback 1967 (Stolen)
'Celeste' VW Fastback 1968 (written off)
'Swingen' VW Fastback 1969 (Sold)
'Grey Nurse' Subaru Liberty (Sold)
'Great White' Subaru Outback(Wreckers)
'Mako' Subaru Outback (first Automatic)

Hmmm... a driving song: sticking to classic 'Road Americana':

But wait.... it's actually more like this:

I've only had 6 cars in 43 years of driving and everyone of them 2nd hand.
Graduating from the poor (wo)man's Karmen Ghia just before the turn of the century to the luxury of AC and a heater that you didn't have to make sure the window was always open or run the risk of being gassed.
The second fastback had no clip on the 4th gear so I had to drive with my left leg hooked over it when cruising or hold it in in town traffic and that was for years.
All but the latest have been manual and I still after 5 years sometimes depress the nonexistent clutch.
This list does not include driving cars in France, where there used to be a deal of a new car leased with airline tickets, which was generally a brand spanking new Peugeot 303 for 6months. Ah the joys of getting in the drivers seat and wtf no steering wheel!
In order of appearance:
'Gup Gup' VW Fastback 1967 (Stolen)
'Celeste' VW Fastback 1968 (written off)
'Swingen' VW Fastback 1969 (Sold)
'Grey Nurse' Subaru Liberty (Sold)
'Great White' Subaru Outback(Wreckers)
'Mako' Subaru Outback (first Automatic)

Hmmm... a driving song: sticking to classic 'Road Americana':

But wait.... it's actually more like this:

You can get so much mileage out of a good riff ‘n’ groove.

The Zero Sum Game of Current Politics.
(Is anyone really listening anymore in the culture war)

When every argument is divisive by being put through one of the two binary sieves that trigger distraction, disinformation and disillusionment, progress by any measure is in the weeds.

The 'Gender' or the 'Age' sieves of division, this article below on current USA politics has both.
When the divide between the haves and the have nots becomes more extreme any economic equality is being ignored because of these two prismatic arguments being continually parsed, no one is the better for it, it just keeps us in place without getting anywhere. A countering to 'It's the economy stupid' catch phrase of previous usage.

These same symptomatic arguments are playing out in our political sphere here in Australia, not just elsewhere.
A perfect example of this was yesterday's expedited National Cabinet summit on Domestic Violence, where some money was thrown at the problem via more funding for a notedly flawed program, enquiries/studies signalled kicking the can further down the road, the politicians get to say they have done their best (they have for their political ideological survival in the ratings game) end of story it's done/happened/solved. No progress was gained.

"For a growing percentage of young men, Cox wrote:
Feminism has less to do with promoting gender equality and more to do with simply attacking men. A 2022 survey by the Southern Poverty Law Center found that 46 percent of Democratic men under 50 agreed that feminism has done more harm than good, and even more Republican men agreed.
More young men, he added, “are adopting a zero-sum view of gender equality — if women gain, men will inevitably lose.”

"Richard Reeves, who wrote the book “Of Boys and Men: Why the Modern Male Is Struggling, Why It Matters and What to Do about It,” argued in a January essay posted on his Substack:
In the centrifugal dynamic of culture-war politics, the more the right goes to one extreme, the more the left must go to the other, and vice versa. The left dismisses biology; the right leans too heavily on it. The left see a war on girls and women; the right see a war on boys and men. The left pathologizes masculinity; the right pathologizes feminism.
In this context, Reeves wrote, “Young men see feminism as having metastasized from a movement for equality for women into a movement against men, or at least against masculinity.”

Letters:
1/"A society with common resources that chooses to uplift women uplifts everyone. A society with resources controlled by the ultra rich will alienate one gender or the other by making them compete for artificially limited resources. Both democrats and republicans serve the ultra rich.We’re fighting each other for gender equality rather than taxing equitably."

2/"More young men, he added, “are adopting a zero-sum view of gender equality — if women gain, men will inevitably lose.”"As the old saying goes, for a group who was once privileged, equality will feel like oppression."

3/"Many young men see the left as the party of those who tell them that masculinity is toxic, even while encouraging girls and women to emulate the very traits called toxic when displayed by men (being confident, selfish, assertive, not taking no for an answer). They see liberals as scolds telling them they have unearned privilege, even as boys are less likely than girls to go to college and more likely to commit suicide."

4/"Toxic masculinity discourages empathy and social emotional skills and recently has also discouraged critical thinking, good behavior, and academic success as well. The end product is barely functional (or nonfunctional) adults"

5/"Isn’t it fascinating that the party of “take personal responsibility” and “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” is encouraging young men to do neither but rather to blame other people like women and immigrants for their disappointments now that the playing field is being leveled?"

6/"The dramatic shift in our overall economy has left millions of young men "behind", if you will, economically and socially, especially in those areas of the country that were historically blue collar and industrial based. Women now make up a large majority in colleges and universities. The "stories" of young men sitting alone in their parents' basement, playing video games and stewing about on the Internet and its conspiracy-based bombardment of disinformation is also a factor. Trump's incessant railing and perfidy contribute to their disengagement and feeling of "revenge." Trump's "campaign" has no basis other than retribution and revenge. He offers young people absolutely nothing of substance that will enhance their lives as evidenced by his threat once more to take away their healthcare. It is heartening that there seems to be some movement back towards Biden among minorities. An Israeli-Hamas ceasefire will help to some degree among young people who have drifted away from Biden. We are six months away...a lot can happen...I somehow remain hopeful that some core of young voters will focus on the "reality" that Trump is a disaster, won't help them at all, and Biden will at least give them some hope."

7/"Interesting that the gender gap is said to be caused by young males' acceptance of the "boys will be boys" attitude that has always been Trump's personal motto. Boys should be informed at a very young age that being male conveys no more rights or "allowances" to them than girls get. Trump should have been taught that lesson approximately 70 years ago.This is just another example of how that attitude has damaged the country. When attempting to correct the idea of "boys being boys" as acceptable behavior, often the cry is that the attempt discriminates against boys! In reality, all it does is remove any acceptance of boorish behavior--a lesson girls learn at a very young age."

8/"A lot of younger men are lost causes these days, blaming their shortcomings and mistakes on women instead of themselves. There's plenty of podcasters, bloggers, and others willing to reassure them of this."

9/"And young men need to open their minds to the possibility of power sharing with others, especially women. A rising tide lifts all boats."

10/"
Women's rights are being shredded by both the left and the right and open misogyny is on the rise, particularly online.Many haven't even noticed that sex discrimination, much to the surprise of women, no longer exists. Who knew?Now, the social construct of "gender", which changes like the wind across culture, time and space, has taken it's place.Instead of second class status, women are now being relegated to a constantly changing and ill-defined third class status."

11/"Ageism is the bias most integrated into our population. This makes sense. Someone explain the real world, and implicit bias to these young people."

12/"I had a mother give me the following advice “expect as much of your son as you would of your daughter”. It was kind of shocking when she first said it. However, over and over I’ve watched as parents expectations for their sons is significantly less than those for their daughters. This carries over into society too. Is it not empathizing or not expecting enough of them. I don’t know. Certainly not all young men are having an issue. Some are absolutely thriving. We hear very little about what the difference is for those thriving vs not."

13/"From the perspective of a Millennial with Gen z friends—America is broken. SCOTUS and Congress codify minority opinion and do not represent Americans, hence the overturning of Roe and the utter inability to enact any gun control. Our healthcare system is a for-profit enterprise that mistreats healthcare workers. Teachers are being asked to act as bodyguards while students are fodder for the 2nd amendment. The older generations have taken our future from us in the form of student loans and hoarding of resources, including housing. Higher education and home ownership are pipe dreams for many young people. The endless war profiteering is just another nail in the coffin. Why would we vote at all at this point? It seems America is so broken, why not let it fall and let something else rise? Young people are sick of being used to transfer wealth to corporations and older generations. I used to believe in our democracy, but since Citizens United and the overturning of Roe I don’t anymore. We are utterly lost."

Letter Chain 'Education is the problem':
1/"Look at the education system. Men have fallen massively behind, and some of that is due to external factors, but some of it is also directly tied to changes in the system.Since, say, the 1990s, there’s been an enormous shift in how students are assessed - away from the traditional sit down exam that tests knowledge and problem solving (which tends to relatively favor men) and towards projects and performance tasks that focus on following a rubric with less focus on knowledge (which women generally do massively better on). Pop quizzes mostly aren’t even allowed.There is an argument that some of this makes sense given the information driven world we live in, but I see no recognition of the challenge this has created for male students. A huge number of teachers grade students on organization and this skews results away from actual knowledge (I’m a math teacher and it’s not uncommon to hear colleagues say “he has a b but he’s the smartest kid in the class”).And as boys have felt increasingly alienated from an education system that heavily caters to women, there’s a ton of alienating messaging about what should be done to help girls and never anything about the struggles of boys (which are far worse).So young men, having been exposed to a progressivism that seems not to be attuned to their needs, aren’t progressive."
In Reply:
1/"I know lots of guys who preferred project work to tests. Our schools test scores show the males as having higher grades (including in math) up until the critical tests (states and regents). Then the girls score way higher. Those tests decide who goes to the elite schools later.I think that for younger grades all active students have been negatively impacted by the lack of physical activity.I think that the video game industry is much more focused on boys and men so they have been undoubtedly impacted more greatly. I see girls learning skills and boys becoming better gamers (which provides some opportunity but not much).Certainly there is a significant lack of male roll models within the education system and certainly missing from classrooms.That being said I question the data from back in the day. I was the top math student in my classes growing up. I spent years having my marks lowered or not getting the award despite having the higher mark so that it could go to a boy. The excuses and justifications from the teachers were astounding. Some would try to convince me to share first place, something they never asked the boys to do, change the marking scheme after the fact, change the rules of the game after the fact, or just say they knew the other child should have been first or received the higher mark. It started as young as grade one and extended through high school."

2/"I'd like to see you cite evidence for your claims about the supposed gender divide on academic material and rubric. This is, contrary to the sentiments you seemed to have expressed, a beneficial development in education. The traditional archetype of 'pop quizzes' and sit-down tests are harmful and polarizing within the classroom. Perhaps this can explain the downfall of male performance within the classroom. In a way, our education system is most certainly egalitarianizing; this is not only the trend of the classroom but the mark of our age. We do not need to uphold some students on a pedestal anymore, but rather test the adaptive academic vigor of our new generation."

3/" "changes in the system" were badly needed. For most of the 20th century, the education system heavily catered to men (and before that there was pretty much no education for women). Women and girls were disadvantaged at every turn. They fought tooth and nail to be allowed to enter training for a wide range of professions. When I started my electronics/computing degree in 1984 I was one of 4 women in a class of 120. In those days "girls don't do engineering" was the normal career advice, and girls massively underperformed boys in STEM in school, because of how it was taught (or in many cases, not taught: electronics or shop class ... boys only!). Welcome to the 21st century, where being female is no longer an automatic disqualification and girls can dream of any career they desire."

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back