News 19th AFL Team Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie has an interesting proposal for a Tassie team.

I dare say that this is not entirely his own idea… some of it coming behind the scenes from the AFL and Eddie is just their salesman of choice

And given that it looks like a group of AFL presidents are going to vote against a 19th licence stand-alone TAS team in August

I consider Eddie’s proposal the more realistic of the two outcomes now

It might take several years… but I reckon NM days as a Melbourne based team are numbered.

I dare say that this is not entirely his own idea… some of it coming behind the scenes from the AFL and Eddie is just their salesman of choice

And given that it looks like a group of AFL presidents are going to vote against a 19th licence stand-alone TAS team in August

It might take several years… but I reckon NM days as a Melbourne based team are numbered.
If this were the proposed outcome the Tassie government would pull support effectively causing it all to fall over. They want their own team not to mention there’s no way a national competition can sustain one club playing 22 home matches.

IMO, this is Ed’s attempt to muddy the waters out of self interest. He doesn’t want a 19th license, he knows there’s zero chance of this getting up and Collingwood will be one of the clubs to vote against it along with Sydney and GC.

If this were the proposed outcome the Tassie government would pull support effectively causing it all to fall over. They want their own team not to mention there’s no way a national competition can sustain one club playing 22 home matches.

IMO, this is Ed’s attempt to muddy the waters out of self interest. He doesn’t want a 19th license, he knows there’s zero chance of this getting up and Collingwood will be one of the clubs to vote against it along with Sydney and GC.

TAS governments change…

and once the AFL presidents put the kybosh on a 19th license

… the TAS govt will realise it’s either a relocated team (with all the financial benefits of that) or handing out millions per year for an extension of the current dual arrangement with NM and Hawthorn

And yes i don’t doubt this alternative model is driven by AFL and club presidents self interest

As for the 22 home games… that would shift over time.

And interstate teams would not object to never hosting home games against NM as they draw so few interstate fans 🤷‍♂️

TAS governments change…

and once the AFL presidents put the kybosh on a 19th license

… the TAS govt will realise it’s either a relocated team (with all the financial benefits of that) or handing out millions per year for an extension of the current dual arrangement with NM and Hawthorn

And yes i don’t doubt this alternative model is driven by AFL and club presidents self interest

As for the 22 home games… that would shift over time.

And interstate teams would not object to never hosting home games against NM as they draw so few interstate fans 🤷‍♂️
Not in time for this to go to a vote. The nature of the franchise also has bipartisan support neither major party will support a fly in team. If the presidents pull the pin it’s not a matter of a revised plan going to a vote there’ll need to be a fresh feasibility process. Without the Tasmanian governments backing this relocated monstrosity won’t pass the vote either.

The 19th license will get up because Gil will want it as the crowning glory of his tenure. It’ll eventually be in Collingwood’s best interest to support it and those negotiations would be ongoing. If I had to guess we’ll get a larger slice of the AFL pie by the end of the decade. The new license will make it more challenging to win a flag, but there’ll also be concessions to make it easier so our position will likely net off.

The footy politics in this one is relatively straight forward so I’m more invested in the flow on effects of the 19th license and whether that pushes us toward a 20th license or rolling byes. My gut feel is we’re set for 20 teams by the end of the decade with a 22 round season giving every club two byes and each team plays each other once plus a “blockbuster” round to get each club to 20 matches. That’s 200 home and away matches up from the current 188 and gives everyone parity around the fixture.

The big question is where the 20th license comes from? I’d go WA myself, but the league will push for the NT. Also just a general note it’s frankly scary that a guy like McGuire could be as powerful as he was for 20 years in the football world and still be guided by self interest.

Not in time for this to go to a vote. The nature of the franchise also has bipartisan support neither major party will support a fly in team. If the presidents pull the pin it’s not a matter of a revised plan going to a vote there’ll need to be a fresh feasibility process. Without the Tasmanian governments backing this relocated monstrosity won’t pass the vote either.

The 19th license will get up because Gil will want it as the crowning glory of his tenure. It’ll eventually be in Collingwood’s best interest to support it and those negotiations would be ongoing. If I had to guess we’ll get a larger slice of the AFL pie by the end of the decade. The new license will make it more challenging to win a flag, but there’ll also be concessions to make it easier so our position will likely net off.

The footy politics in this one is relatively straight forward so I’m more invested in the flow on effects of the 19th license and whether that pushes us toward a 20th license or rolling byes. My gut feel is we’re set for 20 teams by the end of the decade with a 22 round season giving every club two byes and each team plays each other once plus a “blockbuster” round to get each club to 20 matches. That’s 200 home and away matches up from the current 188 and gives everyone parity around the fixture.

The big question is where the 20th license comes from? I’d go WA myself, but the league will push for the NT. Also just a general note it’s frankly scary that a guy like McGuire could be as powerful as he was for 20 years in the football world and still be guided by self interest.

I prefer the 20 team model… but the several years in between with the interim 19 team model is the problem

No additional revenue from no additional 10th game a week, an ugly rolling bye, the AFL having to pump more $$$ into a TAS stand-alone start up then a relocated NM or St Kilda…

Combine that with Covid impact on AFLs finances, state govt debt levels etc

I think the cheaper relocation option wins out ultimately and the TAS govt just has to lump it

And I think the AFL will call the TAS govt bluff that it’s ‘a stand-alone team or nothing’

Is TAS prepared to commit to no AFL football for the rest of the decade… in an attempt to strong arm the AFL to granting an (on paper) weak licence to a TAS team?

A 3rd Perth team would possibly be more viable than a stand-alone TAS team with 30k membership

The real issue here is the AFLs narrow mindedness to the Suns.

The easiest option of them all is to fold the Suns and give their licence to TAS

Brisbane then simply becomes the QLD lions 🦁

Not sure Gil is necessarily particularly keen on a Tas licence given last week was what, the first time he had met with the Tas Govt? That isn't the look I would be going for if I wanted a Tas team to be my lasting legacy.

Reckon the pre-condition of a stadium will kill the proposal for now.

Not sure Gil is necessarily particularly keen on a Tas licence given last week was what, the first time he had met with the Tas Govt? That isn't the look I would be going for if I wanted a Tas team to be my lasting legacy.

Reckon the pre-condition of a stadium will kill the proposal for now.
Do you mean the new government that come to power in April? AFL’s a big deal, but I’m not sure it’s that high a priority. I would find it curious if this were the last achievement of his tenure and he wasn’t a driving force…

The stadium really is the only kicker. I’ve got theories around that, but nothing that would really drive the discussion forward because it’s just speculation.

Do you mean the new government that come to power in April? AFL’s a big deal, but I’m not sure it’s that high a priority. I would find it curious if this were the last achievement of his tenure and he wasn’t a driving force…

The stadium really is the only kicker. I’ve got theories around that, but nothing that would really drive the discussion forward because it’s just speculation.
Not sure he ever met with the previous government on the matter. That was certainly how Gutwein framed it last year.

Gil's comments to the media regarding Tassie have always been circumspect and relatively unenthusiastic. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes.

Not new Government. New Premier. Liberals have been in power here since 2014.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tas gov or the people there wont support a half relocation. Eddie's proposal just felt like to help North and ignoring Tasmania want for their own team. Unless you are a north supporter in tassie, the population wont get around it.
I was going to say the same thing,Jen.Eddie’s proposal is totally unworkable on so many fronts.The Tasmanian government has said repeatedly it doesn’t want a relocated team in Tasmania.It wants its own team,as it should.And Eddie expects them to accept a partially relocated team from Melbourne,which nobody wants?Norht Melbourne doesn’t want to relocate,so that’s a no goer as well.And finally,the other clubs won’t accept a team that essentially has 22 home games,and never travels interstate.It’s just a crazy idea all around.

I just wonder what is behind this idea of Eddie’s.There seems to be some sort of hidden agenda here.But whatever it is,the aim seems to be to kill off a Tasmanian team in the AFL before it even gets off the ground.

I think Collingwood should merge with Tasmania.
We receive 3 years of draft concessions.
We receive priority access to Tasmanian players via the academy.
We play 20 home games at the MCG (1 home game in Hobart & 1 in Launceston).
We are called the Collingwood Magpies.
When in Tasmania we are known as the Tasmanian Magpies.
Our VFL team will play 12 home games in Tasmania (as the Tasmanian Magpies).
We will stick the map of Tassie on our shorts.
We will give away free Fairy Floss to all kiddies at Tasmanian games.

I think this model will work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where exactly will the map of Tassie be situated on our shorts?
I feel this is an important issue to clarify before signing on.

They’d need to be careful where they stick that map of TAS on the shorts 🙈

He could have held that little snippet over until after we’ve played them. Always hate giving any motivation to an opposition club, regardless of how they’re playing.

Would the AFL uniform regs allow the wearing of merkin’s?

Wouldn’t read too much into it Dave. Poorly written story really. Claims 3 clubs are against it but then only includes a quote from Sydney expressing reservations. I’d assume if they had a stronger quote from either us or GCS then they’d have included them as well.

As a supporter, I’m not sure why we all shouldn’t have reservations. A 19th and potentially 20th team dilutes the talent pool and signals years of compromised drafts. How does that help the CFC, or the competition?

The talent pool argument is absurd. Lists are smaller, players are way more skilled than they were 30 years ago, and there are probably a hundred players out there already good enough to be on lists but who, for whatever reason, haven't had the chance.

Mihocek spent 7 years playing at lower levels. It's impossible to look at him from the moment he arrived and explain why.

The talent pool argument is absurd. Lists are smaller, players are way more skilled than they were 30 years ago, and there are probably a hundred players out there already good enough to be on lists but who, for whatever reason, haven't had the chance.

Mihocek spent 7 years playing at lower levels. It's impossible to look at him from the moment he arrived and explain why.

Happy for you to think that.

I’m not sure you can make the case but it’ll be interesting to read so look forward to you doing so.

Happy for you to think that.

I’m not sure you can make the case but it’ll be interesting to read so look forward to you doing so.
In 1993, when footy was probably at its best, AFL lists were 52. Now they’re around 36, not counting rookies. 44 counting them.

thats around 15-18 per team or about 250 players fewer in the AFL system, not counting rookies. So in 30 years the talent pool has decreased by that much? Rather than increased? Okay, there are other things to take into account, but these decisions have become about because of commercial reasons and then Justified on the basis of “talent”. One is the creation of greater class differentiation between the players. Ie. The elite players get huge deals, rookies are constantly on tenterhooks.

You can argue for smaller lists or fewer teams on lots of bases, but talent pool is a bizarre one. What does it mean? The ability to play at a current afl team? Do we use north or Melbourne as the example? Talent pool is a pretty arbitrary category. You have to say talent FOR something. But what?

Last edited:
It's a romantic idea, but they'll be a basket case that wont be able to retain players.
Why do you think this?
Much as Tassie doesn't want Norf this may be one to suck up. On the other hand it kill Nth Melb as any Tassie team would want to celebrate the rich history of Austalian footballers coming out of this state, like Wright, Mihocek & & a few bit players. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back