Past #2: Brad McKenzie - pick #18 '11 draft - delisted end '16 season - 37 games for NM - Norwood '17

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched the replay but going on some comments in here he had a better 2nd half. And some are still holding out hope for him.

Well at least we are getting a good look at him and exactly where he is at. For me he needs to believe he belongs because right now he doesn't. His confidents can only grow with every game but the first half from what i remember every time he had the ball he looked so nervous u could see it, but he had a dip.
He needs more mongrel in him maybe some boxing lessons with Spud or something. Cause he and Mullet are getting their opportunities and so far Dumont and Clarke have gone past them for best 22 and that's with less games.
But there is still hope with him and if others haven't given up then alls good. Hopefully he keeps improving with every game.

Terrible first half. His kicking is really poor. That saying he did manage himself quite well after half time. And thats when the intensity lifted.
Its like he is trying to rise to the occasion of AFL football and therefore his kicking turns to s**t.
Not sold on him as a midfielder and no way as a defender.

There isn't a player on our list who actually has a shot from 50 except boomer, Brown and sometime McMillan on the run. I think they are actually instructed not to have pings from 50 which is why Mckenzie and Mullett hesitated when they had their chance to kick long range shots
And JZ

TBH the umpire didnt even give Bmac a chance he called play on....

Better than mullets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bag him now and you may end up like the fools saying Sammy Wright is a useless waste of space.

Give him more time. Judging a junior player in a struggling team - in a back line, while down a bit on confidence, is folly.

Was going to post something along these lines. Wright looked like he was heading nowhere fast but then it came together. McKenzie has a similar 'feel' to his playing style. Can definitely see little improvements here and there and the value of continuity can't be underestimated in the learning process.

It feels like he's building all the aspects of his game except for his kicking. In some way once he has other things up to AFL standard then he can reinstate his main skill and unleash havoc. Hopefully for us rather than through turnovers.

Terrible first half. His kicking is really poor. That saying he did manage himself quite well after half time. And thats when the intensity lifted.
Its like he is trying to rise to the occasion of AFL football and therefore his kicking turns to s**t.
Not sold on him as a midfielder and no way as a defender.

how do you know? is this just a guess?

Was going to post something along these lines. Wright looked like he was heading nowhere fast but then it came together. McKenzie has a similar 'feel' to his playing style. Can definitely see little improvements here and there and the value of continuity can't be underestimated in the learning process.

It feels like he's building all the aspects of his game except for his kicking. In some way once he has other things up to AFL standard then he can reinstate his main skill and unleash havoc. Hopefully for us rather than through turnovers.
Good call re. comparing Sammy Wright's development. Especially with the kicking. For a while Sammy seemed to be psyching himself out, particularly when shooting for goal. I reckon BMac is in the same state of mind, knowing his kicking is his special skill, seems to leave him thinking that every kick has to be 'special'. This will hopefully pass, as with Sam, and it does become the weapon we all expect it to be. But the encouraging thing on Friday was his improved attack on the contest and some solid grabs. Worth persisting with.

He's a much better kick forward of centre for what ever reason.

Less congested forward lines rather than kicking through a press and hitting direct leads is where he excels.

He's a much better kick forward of centre for what ever reason.

Less congested forward lines rather than kicking through a press and hitting direct leads is where he excels.
Put it down to confidence. I'd say the added pressure to hit it every single time that backmen have, probably tightens him up a fair bit and causes the turnover.

He needs to work on his one on one aerial contests the most. He spends way too much time watching his opponent rather than the ball in flight, gets completely lost and gets out marked without putting up a fight. He needs to read the play, watch the ball and set himself up to jump and spoil. He also has to work on his positioning so he doesn't allow his opponent to get goal side.

Wright looks like that at the start of every season. :stern look

I think McKenzie needs continuity, he also needs a second KPD so he isn't forced to compete against 200cm forwards.

Is this the same elite kick that always takes the crab kick 15 metres sideways from the kickout?

I'm not sure if that's the game plan or not, but why would you have a supposed elite kick doing that job? Shouldn't he be the one on the end of the crab kick for the next one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back