Past #2: Brad McKenzie - pick #18 '11 draft - delisted end '16 season - 37 games for NM - Norwood '17

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the same elite kick that always takes the crab kick 15 metres sideways from the kickout?

I'm not sure if that's the game plan or not, but why would you have a supposed elite kick doing that job? Shouldn't he be the one on the end of the crab kick for the next one?

you mean this crab kick?

O
Is this the same elite kick that always takes the crab kick 15 metres sideways from the kickout?

I'm not sure if that's the game plan or not, but why would you have a supposed elite kick doing that job? Shouldn't he be the one on the end of the crab kick for the next one?
Obviously dont watch the roos much as this side ways kick has been part of our style for a few years now it usually ends up in a quick handball over the top and usually ends up in either jmac wright atleys hands

In some ways these next few weeks are his chance. He will more than likely be dropped when Sam and Luke are back, whether it's this season or not. But it's up to Brad to convince the coaches he is worth retaining.

Definitely ahead of Mullet, which is a worry given Mullet is contracted for one more year I believe.

I get the feeling the club is happy enough with him to get another year. Especially with some older heads on the way out, we can't just have a heap of kids with no experience, unless you think a total rebuild is what is needed.

The real issue is he tries bullet pass almost every kick. Often its to fierce for the players running at him so its spilt. Just has to ease off 10% and the disposal accuracy will come back. He does have an amazing kick but not every one of his kicks has to be amazing.

The comparison makes me, and possibly ArjenTheGreat want to vomit, for opposite reasons.

When Wrighty kicked that left banana against Port a few years ago, I thought he was going to be a superstar.

But yeah, as to BMAC, nteresting. There was a moment in the 2nd quarter where he bounced out of trouble and then did an underground handball in a blink of an eye which was bloody sensational... The kid is certainly growing and the rest of the team seem to be getting around him and pushing him to reach his potential.

Was going to post something along these lines. Wright looked like he was heading nowhere fast but then it came together. McKenzie has a similar 'feel' to his playing style. Can definitely see little improvements here and there and the value of continuity can't be underestimated in the learning process.

It feels like he's building all the aspects of his game except for his kicking. In some way once he has other things up to AFL standard then he can reinstate his main skill and unleash havoc. Hopefully for us rather than through turnovers.

He's going well, his defensive work is much better than we were led to believe and his kicking in hilst not perfect at this point is still bloody good.

If he played it safe and just took the easy option it would be 100%, the fact he has a crack at a few difficult ones is the only reason some are questioning his effectiveness.

I like where Mckenzie is heading but I haven't seen one piece of play where he's used his elite kicking skills. He hasn't hit a proper difficult target this year and has turned it over ALOT. Must be a confidence thing cause its not pressure and I've seen what he's capable of.

I've seen what he's capable of.

So have I....
its-a-slideshow-about-nothing-1-638.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like where Mckenzie is heading but I haven't seen one piece of play where he's used his elite kicking skills. He hasn't hit a proper difficult target this year and has turned it over ALOT. Must be a confidence thing cause its not pressure and I've seen what he's capable of.
I think if anything it is too much confidence in his kicking. Trying a lot of 60m bullets that travel about three feet from the ground that seem far too hot to be taken cleanly most of the time.

I think if anything it is too much confidence in his kicking. Trying a lot of 60m bullets that travel about three feet from the ground that seem far too hot to be taken cleanly most of the time.
I think he would have a bit of a license with that sort of thing. Like suckling has at the dogs and watts has at the dees.

I think he would have a bit of a license with that sort of thing. Like suckling has at the dogs and watts has at the dees.

The comparison to those two is even more valid when you consider how many times both of them absolutely murder the footy (not in a good way), despite being elite kicks when it clicks for them.

The comparison to those two is even more valid when you consider how many times both of them absolutely murder the footy (not in a good way), despite being elite kicks when it clicks for them.
I dont think ive seen watts murder the ball in recent times. Not really the discussion here but yeah i think he would get told to back himself because of what he produces in training.

I dont think ive seen watts murder the ball in recent times. Not really the discussion here but yeah i think he would get told to back himself because of what he produces in training.
Melbourne has put 100+ games into Watts to get to this stage, BMac only played 20 odd games.

Perhaps you recall the last time we played them (Hobart) and Watts had a couple of serious howlers? The second might have cost them the game, given we only scraped in by 5 points.

Perhaps you recall the last time we played them (Hobart) and Watts had a couple of serious howlers? The second might have cost them the game, given we only scraped in by 5 points.
I'm not going to define a player based on a couple of kicks against us on the windiest AFL ground. His efficiency and kicking is elite.

I really dont see the problem with McKenzie tbqh. Is progressing after x amount of games, seems to be getting more comfortable with the hard ball and should relax into a specific role and get confidence the more he plays. Definitely something to work with and i dont get the heat he cops on here.

Agree somewhat with the posters likening him to a young Wright. Written off by some a tad early. He has improved though.

I thought you were taking the piss with that first comment.

I thought a hater would focus more on the kick that hit a collingwood player on the chest when 2 north players were in the clear and streaming towards goal.

This may sound odd, but I think he has good kicking skills in general in terms of he is able to execute difficult kicks, however, he doesn't have consistency with his kicking. I think too often he tries for a high difficulty kick and sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn't come off. I think he would be a very good player if he instead chose to just put it out in front of a team mate with a less brilliant looking kick but one that is a lot easier to execute.

I think when players torch some passes they lose a bit of confidence and may look to go for easier options. I believe he still needs to play bravely, however, he doesn't need to hit players with flat stab passes when a 3/4 pace chip kick in front of a player which allows them to run to the ball will do the job and do it a lot more reliably and give him more confidence in his own ability.

This argument could be used as a "for" or an "against" depending on your perspective, but Sammy Wright played twice as many games in his first 5 years as Brad. And Sammy certainly wasn't a lock in those first 5 years either.
The biggest thing Sammy has that Brad has never shown is the preparedness to put his body on the line and have a crack, a quality much more valuable than an erratic/elite left foot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back