Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this not the Logan McDonald effect?
Kicks plenty from free kicks and out the back goals

Souup

Larkey's averaged 1.2 contested marks over his career and he's done it in a horrendous team as the focal point.

Logan McDonald dreams of averaging that in a good team.

Larkey's averaged 1.2 contested marks over his career and he's done it in a horrendous team as the focal point.

Logan McDonald dreams of averaging that in a good team.
Fair enough, I wonder how their usage rates compare though - how often they are targeted inside 50.
Do you have access to that data?

Intercept marks in our forward 50 that then went end-to-end and a scoring opportunity for them strongly suggests that we needed more of those poorly directed long bombs inside 50 brought to ground to at least give our small and mid-sized forwards a chance to lock the ball in. That's not just on Souva of course but when he's getting beaten in the air and is not getting the rub of the green with the umpires, he probably needs to make adjustments.

Still plays for frees a little too often for my liking, but is a guy who manages to impact the scoreboard even when he's struggling.

I wouldn't mind occasionally seeing him move a little further up field at times when he's struggling to get into the game. He had one possession outside of the forward 50. He's got a big tank, let him take some lead up marks a bit higher. I know he's the bloke you want to be targetting going into forward but Zurhaar, Duursma and Ford can all take a grab and we're trying to lower the eyes going into 50 anyway.

This. Plays for frees way too often rather than just trying to halve a contest. He does it more and more when he's getting outplayed by his opponent rather than just backing himself. Definitely needs a capable KPF down there with him that can crash the packs.

This. Plays for frees way too often rather than just trying to halve a contest. He does it more and more when he's getting outplayed by his opponent rather than just backing himself. Definitely needs a capable KPF down there with him that can crash the packs.
Teams have clearly worked on physically imposing themselves on him early so he plays for kicks rather than playing the footy.

It's the cruellest ******* thing that Comben doesn't ever look like making it to 100 games. Literally the perfect player to partner Souv with

It's the cruellest ******* thing that Comben doesn't ever look like making it to 100 games. Literally the perfect player to partner Souv with

Well by the sounds of the reports on the VFL game on the weekend, I think we need to give that Comben backman experiment a rest. Bring him in and play him forward where he belongs and where the team needs him.

If he gets injured, he gets injured. But if we continue to persevere with playing him as a backman, he won't be AFL ready for a while. We can't afford to have a fit Comben playing in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually worried he might get a week for pulling his opponent into the ground.

I shouldn't be, but this is the AFL.

They'll look at the defender holding his chin and panic.

He's not getting suspended for grabbing a guys jumper. The same thing happened to him immediately after.

He's not getting suspended for grabbing a guys jumper. The same thing happened to him immediately after.
Only thing AFL care about is it LOOKED like a sling and someones head MAY have hit the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back