Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Really has all the tools you would think.

Good mark, decent speed, good kick, has the smarts, Still skinny but uses the body well already. if he gets up to 105-106kg could be a real imposing figure and still pretty young. Lets hope he gets a good run at it and we see him bring it all together.

Also pick 73? why? was he just too skinny?

I think we've been really good at identifying talent over the last 4 years. Larkey, Zurhaar, Hayden, Xerri (despite the knocks that are coming for some God unkown reason, I reckon he's got a future), Taylor, Scott all with picks 40+.

I think we've been really good at identifying talent over the last 4 years. Larkey, Zurhaar, Hayden, Xerri (despite the knocks that are coming for some God unkown reason, I reckon he's got a future), Taylor, Scott all with picks 40+.
swings and roundabouts, on the other hand we have really butchered all those picks in the 20/30ss with mckenzie, williams , clarke, watson, nielson etc...

He is five scoring shots short of being eligible for this list - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html - but would currently be the most accurate kick for goal of all time. Even if he kicks 2.3 over his next five shots he'd still be the third best kick for goal of all time when he appears on this list.

It's amazing that so many players cannot do the simple basics required to kick a ball straight.

It is that cohort of players we need believing that they are the only way forward and drive each other to get better.
There does seem to be real strong bond amongst our younger players. Hopefully they see the benefit of staying together to build something special at this football club. Best case scenario for me, is we are contending within 4-5 years.

There does seem to be real strong bond amongst our younger players. Hopefully they see the benefit of staying together to build something special at this football club. Best case scenario for me, is we are contending within 4-5 years.

I believe the wheel will turn quicker than that.

He is five scoring shots short of being eligible for this list - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html - but would currently be the most accurate kick for goal of all time. Even if he kicks 2.3 over his next five shots he'd still be the third best kick for goal of all time when he appears on this list.

His set shot action should be on coaching videos everywhere. So simple and so effective.

One of the few occasions where the stats absolutely and unequivocally back up what the eye sees. He's got just about the most reliably perfect technique I've ever seen. Hit's them so cleanly and very little hook or drift on them. Amazing advantage for him and us if that continues. Reminds me a bit of Aaron Edwards massive purple patch with us but I think Larkey is a much purer hit of the ball.

Kicks them from good spots, too. Longest goal on the weekend would have been from 30m out, and none on a tough angle.

Since when did that stop many AFL players from missing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it really though? The game is more interested in beep tests and vertical leaps than blokes that can kick.

........when the ability to kick the ball straight through two big posts usually decides a match.

Go back and look at Brown this year running in for goal and waving the ball from side to side on his approach....then go back to last year where he was keeping the ball over his right leg and barely missing.

I saw Aaron Hall last week hold the ball over his left leg and he paced in for a set shot with his right leg.......which of course missed.

It's BASIC stuff. Just watch Larkey & Bailey Scott's set shots and you can see the difference. It's just like golf putting. Technique, technique, technique.

Should be 12, missed two gettable ones.

Worst I've ever seen him kicking for goal - it's my own fault for giving him such a flattering assessment on this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back