Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

It takes two to tango. Sometimes the mids' stuff ups are directly a result of forwards not working hard enough to present an option. If you've got nothing to kick to, the chances of a turnover increase exponentially.

I’m not denying that, but it’s so fking evident that we have to strengthen our midfield. Yes a KPF would be nice but cunners, jy and Ando can’t carry the weight forever.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He dropped an absolute sitter before he snapped that disallowed goal.
Confidence is low
No interference from the bloke running at him? Should have gloved it, but he still bagged the goal.

I’m not denying that, but it’s so fking evident that we have to strengthen our midfield. Yes a KPF would be nice but cunners, jy and Ando can’t carry the weight forever.

Plenty of times our midfield had to kick to Turner or Thomas, both undersize and against 2 or 3, even Larkey had multiple opponents over the match. Another big body down there would have been better right now, imo. Our midfield has just received a triple shot of comfort with Tom, Will and Charlie to complement Jy, LDU, Stepho and Bailey for the next little while. Of course a few new sets of midfield wheels would be a boon, but we defo need another effective big boy up forward.

Just lead ffs and that’s to all our forwards.
It shits me watching other teams hitting up targets at ease.
Do our players know you can use the whole of the fwd 50 - hardly ever see flanks /pockets being used. Always kick it to the hot spot about 30 out.

Just lead ffs and that’s to all our forwards.
It shits me watching other teams hitting up targets at ease.
Do our players know you can use the whole of the fwd 50 - hardly ever see flanks /pockets being used. Always kick it to the hot spot about 30 out.
Would love to see behind goals footage of their leading patterns

Watching w80, Drew and Bbb was fascinating from Level 3. It was like they each had their own Lanes.

Watching w80, Drew and Bbb was fascinating from Level 3. It was like they each had their own Lanes.

True, but remember what happened after they started getting injured, just after the combination peaked in that Tigers game in Hobart? What hope has Larkey right now? He doesn’t have Petrie and W80 to help him out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I also watched him closely and I disagree. There were a few passages where he just gave up, including one on the wing where he absolutely torched Goldy by refusing to run beside him. What I saw last night, again, was a statue whose lack of movement allowed the opposition defence to set up as they pleased. It concerns me that when he and Cam were out of the forwardline in the third we started converting some F50 entries.

I do agree that he's suffering in Brown's absence, though. Brown's running stretch the defence and covered what we're now finding our to be pretty weak tanks of some of our other forwards.

He did work hard when in the ruck, though.

He’s absolutely bushed. He wrestles half the game and loses repeatedly 1v2 then he doesn’t know when to run because he’s out of form and he doesn’t have energy to waste so he’s cautious about running when he doesn’t have to.

He needs two big mates to take the pressure and opposition attention from him. He’s at his best when he’s slipping under the guard of the oppo. There is no chance of that at the moment.

Remember the video of how the forward set up worked in early 2016?

If the reason we traded Brown and passed on McDonald because we thought Larkey and Comben were going to be the next Carey and Longmire show, our recruiters should be sued for negligence.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think you've used a whole jar of mayo on that.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Logan McDonald in our team right now would be touch less and goalless and would be labelled a bust

And Phillips would have 3 20+ games and be labelled Rowell Mach2 had he gone to Sydney.

Swings and roundabouts.

Logan got his first taste of a dewy wet SCG and surprise surprise, like every other CHF that has stepped foot onto the ground, he battled.

Not picking Cox will be the one we lament if we ever actually rue not picking up a Tall.

He is wonderful already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sitting here absolutely shocked that his best half this year has been on the back of;
- not going into the ruck
- with more genuine tall structure around him

I'm f***ing astounded.

I just can't understand why it's so.

Stick it up 'em Souva, kick another couple.

Unlucky to not get another 2/3 free kicks but other than that I said he was gonna get 4, he got 3 but good effort

You can see why we were going all in on mids this draft - the Comben injury really f*cked us.

You could see how much more potent (if you could call it that) we were with an extra tall target in the forward line.

The signs were there with Campbell who presented well but just could not hold onto a mark.

We MUST give Souva more support, I hope that is the key learning from this last game.

Get Xerri on an accelerate program to get match fit pronto.

I'm sitting here absolutely shocked that his best half this year has been on the back of;
- not going into the ruck
- with more genuine tall structure around him

I'm f***ing astounded.

I just can't understand why it's so.

Stick it up 'em Souva, kick another couple.

Think the club didn’t want to play Campbell bit in the end we had no other option.

Think the club didn’t want to play Campbell bit in the end we had no other option.
Campbell may limited but the offset of not having to run Larkey through the ruck and having an additional aerial presence forward makes playing him worth it.

X kicked 3 goals in the VFL today so cannot be far from a call up.

Larkey 1 out and rucking doesn't work and shouldn't happen again.

Campbell may limited but the offset of not having to run Larkey through the ruck and having an additional aerial presence forward makes playing him worth it.

It’s good for larkey to get assistance up forward and not to be rucking.
It’s a double edged sword but Tom is a statue and got in the way of our players often.
Xerri should be in this week.

Campbell copping a fairly large bit of criticism from everyone, but geez he helped out Souv a truckload.....no coincidence Souv got on the end of a few. Campbell also nearly marked the ball about 5 times directly in front....yeah he dropped em, but it also meant Crows didn’t intercept them. We need some actual crumbing small forwards. Even one would do.

So big X has kicked six in two weeks? Or is it 3 goals twice in three games. Either way bring him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back