Review 20 year Anniversary 99 Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

My dad is passed 6 years now, the ‘99 Prelim was a moment we enjoyed together.

We had a delayed start listening to the match on the radio as we were serving a customer in the shop. Tim Lane on ABC the caller of choice.

We closed the shop early I think as there weren’t many customers about and drove home (in separate cars actually) listening on the radio. Only the grand final was live then.

It was hard to follow what was going on from the commentary and the background noise.

Eventually there was a score update to keep me in check.

And then at home we saw the replay and Peter Landy would sometimes say before the last quarter started on a replay something like ‘It’s a beauty’.

Some Carlton players played their best ever games that day ... Kouta, Hamill, Rice, Justin Murphy ...

Some were just outstanding as ever ... SOS (Lloyd had a good game), Sexton, Christou, Ratten ...

Some had their moments: Manton early, Whitnall my avatar the long goal, Lappin bobbed up (I remember the coach was interviewed after Brownlow night and was asked about him, said something like it was a reward for persistence), SOS many spoils and rallying the team at 3 quarter time after * came back in the third, Kouta, Kouta, Kouta again, Brown the tackle and Justin Murphy with the ball and I swear he was counting down from 12 to 1.

Bradley gave his all even with *players sledging him.

For me the ‘95 and ‘87 GFs were nothing compared to the ‘99 Prelim. The ‘79 (which I vaguely remember as a child not yet 10yo) and ‘70 were great though and are talked about constantly. The other early ‘70s GFs also not massive hits ... and only the ‘89 GF deserves the same recognition as the ‘99 prelim.

So with the ‘99 prelim it was the story of * who was rampaging that year being conquered (they pretty much smashed all the next year to a flag) and rightly Kouta’s game and Brown’s tackle. For us Carlton people it was just pure joy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back