2002/2003 Player Comparisons

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
After the season is over I thought it would be a good time to compare season 2002 and 2003 for each player that was on our list this during this time. I was trying to get the feel as to who has gone backwards, who has improved and who has stayed the same. Feel free to comment.

8. Nathan Bassett - Another solid season from the Hound. Does a lot of 1%ers that go unnoticed. I think that he was a bit more consistent last year than he was in 2003. Verdict: Gone backwards slightly

16. Ken McGegor - He has played moe footy this year due to better luck with injuries. A rock at CHB who is improving and getting more and more comfortable at this level. Verdict: Slightly improved

Bloody good post Stiffy, and very accurate overall.

The above two are the only ones I differ with.

Nathan Bassett
I think Bass had just as good a season as last year which was made to look a bit worse than it really was by that soft suspension and then being on the outer with the coach for a couple of weeks. I rated him the same as last year.

Ken McGegor
I rated him as much better than slightly improved. He had a terrificly consistent year, rarely if ever being beaten. Now sits in the top 3 CHB's in the comp.

Good work overall your Stiffness!!
;)

Re: Re: 2002/2003 Player Comparisons

Originally posted by macca23
Ken McGegor
I rated him as much better than slightly improved. He had a terrificly consistent year, rarely if ever being beaten. Now sits in the top 3 CHB's in the comp.
Yeah, I was going to say the same, but thought I was already being too picky! ;)

Honest to god... Hentschel must move like some sort of champion on the training track... because so far on the footy field he hasn't looked anything remotely like an AFL player deserving of some of the high praise he's so far recieved.

Originally posted by DaveW
Honest to god... Hentschel must move like some sort of champion on the training track... because so far on the footy field he hasn't looked anything remotely like an AFL player to deserve some of the high praise he's recieved.
macca23 and myself are preparing the biggest of humble pies for you, dyertribe and ant. We'll make sure its tasty:p

Honest to god... Hentschel must move like some sort of champion on the training track... because so far on the footy field he hasn't looked anything remotely like an AFL player to deserve some of the high praise he's recieved.

I can understand why you say that Dave, because you certainly haven't seen the best of Hentschel.

In his first two games in particular he looked like a rabbit frozen in a spot-light and apologetic for being out there. in his last game he looked a little more relaxed and consequently a little better.

I hope it is a break-out year for him, and he relaxes and just plays the type of footy that he is capable of. He genuinely is a talent. I hope his temperament allows him to show it at AFL level.

macca23 and myself are preparing the biggest of humble pies for you, dyertribe and ant. We'll make sure its tasty:p
Stiffy, regardless of whether he becomes the next Gary Ablett or the next Daniel Schell... I just can't believe the amount of hype coming from the Adelaide Football Club and some supporters, based on what I've seen so far.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
We desperately need Hentschel, Rutten &/or Parker to come through in 2004 as a regular AFL player.
I think thats asking a bit too much. Talls take more time to develop. I doubt either one of them will be regulars next year. One or 2 of them will play anywhere between 12-15 games.

Next year is the time we should blood a couple of youngters by giving them as much time as we possibly can.

Stiffy, regardless of whether he becomes the next Gary Ablett or the next Daniel Schell... I just can't believe the amount of hype coming from the Adelaide Football Club and some supporters, based on what I've seen so far.
How many games have you seen of him??????

Usually I am pretty reserved on my judgment until I see a lot of teh player. I genuinely think he is a VERY good prospect. He needs to beef up a bit but he should be fine. Once he gets a bit of confidence he'll be fine.

He has only played 3 AFL games to date and I reckon he has improved his performances with each game.

Hoping for an injury free preseason (he hasn't had one yet) and some good game time in Wizard Cup.

I think thats asking a bit too much. Talls take more time to develop. I doubt either one of them will be regulars next year. One or 2 of them will play anywhere between 12-15 games.
Then can we afford to trade Sarge?

Then can we afford to trade Sarge?
For the good of the club's future yes.

Hentschel, Rutten and Parker offer a lot more in the long run than Perrie. If we don't play this kids their development will stall.

Same strategy as you are using for the midfield group. Trade Doughty and Gallagher so Reilly and Schuback get a go.;)

Hentschel, Rutten and Parker offer a lot more in the long run than Perrie. If we don't play this kids their development will stall.

Same strategy as you are using for the midfield group. Trade Doughty and Gallagher so Reilly and Schuback get a go.;)

Yes to all of the above.

Beg to differ in regards to the Perrie trade, :) ( unless you propose that we make next year a rebuilding one)

As was shown for a great deal of the year whenever Carey & Stevens were unavailable it was Ian Perrie who stood up in the forward zone & made himself a strong vocal point,

If the same happens next year & which by the look of it that could be a real possibility what with Carey another year older & Stevens again under an injury cloud that would mean having to rely on unproven & yet to be fully tested rookie kpp as our main targets up forward, now that could easily be the making of Hentschel & Rutten & maybe not but at least with Perrie on the list we would have someone who we know can take a contested mark & kick goals on a relatively consistent basis & who will have a go,
just keep him away from full back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by noddy
Beg to differ in regards to the Perrie trade, :) ( unless you propose that we make next year a rebuilding one)

As was shown for a great deal of the year whenever Carey & Stevens were unavailable it was Ian Perrie who stood up in the forward zone & made himself a strong vocal point,

If the same happens next year & which by the look of it that could be a real possibility what with Carey another year older & Stevens again under an injury cloud that would mean having to rely on unproven & yet to be fully tested rookie kpp as our main targets up forward, now that could easily be the making of Hentschel & Rutten & maybe not but at least with Perrie on the list we would have someone who we know can take a contested mark & kick goals on a relatively consistent basis & who will have a go,
just keep him away from full back.
Noddy, if Stevo and Carey go down with injuries next as they did this year then we will not be the genuine condenders. We will again play solid footy throughout the year and fall short of the mark.

I would rather us give the likes of Hentschel, Rutten, Parker and Smith if we manage to get him, a chance to shine. For the sake of the medium to long term future of the club we need to blood this youngsters at every opportunity we get. We need to get them confident and comfortable at the AFL level so in a year or 2 when both Stevo and Carey retire, we have something to fall back on and still be finalists instead of being celler dwellers for 2-3 years.

Noddy, if Stevo and Carey go down with injuries next as they did this year then we will not be the genuine condenders. We will again play solid footy throughout the year and fall short of the mark.

I would rather us give the likes of Hentschel, Rutten, Parker and Smith if we manage to get him, a chance to shine. For the sake of the medium to long term future of the club we need to blood this youngsters at every opportunity we get. We need to get them confident and comfortable at the AFL level so in a year or 2 when both Stevo and Carey retire, we have something to fall back on and still be finalists instead of being celler dwellers for 2-3 years.
Stiffy, I'm with noddy on this one. I would not trade Perrie unless we can get another ready-made KPP next year. It would leave our KPP stocks way to vulnerable.

Stiffy, I'm with noddy on this one. I would not trade Perrie unless we can get another ready-made KPP next year. It would leave our KPP stocks way to vulnerable.
But it would give us a perfect opportunity to blood youngsters ;)

I would trade Perrie for the same reason you would trade Doughty and Gallagher. That is to clear out the decent players that will NEVER carry the club in the next 6-10 years so that youngsters can be given a shot at developing. If we manage to get our Hands on Nick Smith from Melbourne, I would trade Perrie in a second, preferably for a ruckman.

There is a chance we can also get a very good KPP with our first pick (14) unless the club shoots itself in the foot again and trades it:(

But it would give us a perfect opportunity to blood youngsters ;)

I would trade Perrie for the same reason you would trade Doughty and Gallagher.
There is a clear difference between the Perrie & Doughty/Gallagher scenarios. Think of this season - we lack KPP depth & would have been in strife without Sarge. If didn't have Dogga or Gags, it would not have made much difference, as we have midfield depth. Also, KPP usually take longer to develop. ie. Reilly, Schuback, etc are more advanced than Rutten, Hentschel, etc.

There is a clear difference between the Perrie & Doughty/Gallagher scenarios. Think of this season - we lack KPP depth & would have been in strife without Sarge. If didn't have Dogga or Gags, it would not have made much difference, as we have midfield depth. Also, KPP usually take longer to develop. ie. Reilly, Schuback, etc are more advanced than Rutten, Hentschel, etc.
You make valid points but you are also forgeting that the likes of Ruttne and Hentschel have another season under their belts and if they have a good pre-season they should be ready to step up to the plate. Play them in the Wizard Cup to get their confidence up so they can come into a season full of confidence like Perrie did this year. I really think that Rutten and Hentschel are much better prospects than Perrie. If we keep Perrie that just stops the other KPP on our lists from developing further;)

Stiffy is right.

We must play Hentschel and Rutten at AFL level so that at least one of them sticks or if not, at least we'll know. II we don't they'll still be rotting away on the list in years to come, with their true value still not determined - a bit like Morgan of Port's really (5 years).

Perrie is never going to be much better than mediocre, if winning a premiership is what a club is all about. He's okay for a club that doesn't have other options to try, but we do.

His best value to our club at the minute is to use him as a trade to improve our list.

The same applies with Doughty and Gallagher. Doughty in particular should be playing AFL every week. He's good enough. But we have better options, so he should be traded not just for our self-interest, but his as well.

Originally posted by macca23
Stiffy is right.

We must play Hentschel and Rutten at AFL level so that at least one of them sticks or if not, at least we'll know. II we don't they'll still be rotting away on the list in years to come, with their true value still not determined - a bit like Morgan of Port's really (5 years).

Perrie is never going to be much better than mediocre, if winning a premiership is what a club is all about. He's okay for a club that doesn't have other options to try, but we do.

His best value to our club at the minute is to use him as a trade to improve our list.

The same applies with Doughty and Gallagher. Doughty in particular should be playing AFL every week. He's good enough. But we have better options, so he should be traded not just for our self-interest, but his as well.
I think it all comes down to personal opinion. We think trading Perrie is a good think Kane and noddy disagree which is fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinion. Time will tell who is right. But as you said Perrie will not win you the premiership while you need to find out if Hentschel and Rutten are good enough

I think it all comes down to personal opinion. We think trading Perrie is a good think Kane and noddy disagree which is fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinion. Time will tell who is right. But as you said Perrie will not win you the premiership while you need to find out if Hentschel and Rutten are good enough
Have no problems trading Perrie IF we can land another ready-made KPP. My concern is that if we don't have a backup to Carey, Stevo & Welsh (who are all injury-proned), we may burn Hentschel/Rutten if we are force to become too reliant on them too early in their careers. They need easing in & have the pressure taken off them for their development. IMO, neither is capable of single-handedly being the the only marking target in our forward line like Sarge was forced to do this year.

Have no problems trading Perrie IF we can land another ready-made KPP. My concern is that if we don't have a backup to Carey, Stevo & Welsh (who are all injury-proned), we may burn Hentschel/Rutten if we are force to become too reliant on them too early in their careers. They need easing in & have the pressure taken off them for their development. IMO, neither is capable of single-handedly being the the only marking target in our forward line like Sarge was forced to do this year.
Again, I think you have some very valid points and I agree with you to a degree but you have got to bite the bullet eventually.;)

If we are really desperate we can always chuck McGregor and Bassett up forward:eek: :p

If we trade Perrie, we're going to be light on KPP's, particularly if one or both of Wayne and Stevo break down again. But really, if this happens, we're not going to be premiership, or even top 4 contenders. We're going to be making up the numbers, and like Stiffy says, it's best we blood the young 'Ablett-like' superstar in Trent and Rutten.

Both will have been on the list for a couple of years, they'll be reasonably mature and should be ready to play. It's not as if both are 18 year olds just out of the under 18's comp, they've played senior footy in the SANFL and for the sake of the club's future, should be given a go if the King and Stevo are unable to take their place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back