Draft Review 2009 - Revisiting the 2009 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a hard choose but I'd take Dusty as he is far more durable injury wise (touch wood) and dosnt get suspended (touch wood again..)
(thinking about 2017...touching wood....) :p
Yep. It is Martin only because he never misses games, Fyfe misses a few too much football

Carlton are another club burnt by this draft .. FML Thank you Brett Ratten :mad:
62394.jpg

1A - Martin.
1B - Fyfe.

3. Talia
4. Gunston
5. Gawn
6. Cunnington
7. Stratton
8. Duncan
9. Scully
10. Carlisle

I've left out Grimes because he has often been injured and we have only seen the best of him the past two seasons. Carlisle makes the ten because if not for injuries he is a constant All-Australian talent at CHB. Each have played 50 less games than Gunston.

I've put Gawn at 5 because I think the others have done more in their careers to date. However, he could easily end up third by the time his career is finished.

Stratton gets added points for finishing second and fourth in premiership years B&F's. He is also now a captain.

Tom Scully gets in from his Giants years when he was a top 3 wingman in the game.

1A - Martin.
1B - Fyfe.

3. Talia
4. Gunston
5. Gawn
6. Cunnington
7. Stratton
8. Duncan
9. Scully
10. Carlisle

I've left out Grimes because he has often been injured and we have only seen the best of him the past two seasons. Carlisle makes the ten because if not for injuries he is a constant All-Australian talent at CHB. Each have played 50 less games than Gunston.

I've put Gawn at 5 because I think the others have done more in their careers to date. However, he could easily end up third by the time his career is finished.

Stratton gets added points for finishing second and fourth in premiership years B&F's. He is also now a captain.

Tom Scully gets in from his Giants years when he was a top 3 wingman in the game.
Scully only gets in because he now wears horrible colours.

Scully only gets in because he now wears horrible colours.

Haha.

By all reports we are likely to see him early in the season. He has 152 games of AFL football and that includes two seasons he was in the All-Australian squad. Grimes has played only 127 games and only the past two have been at a high level.

It's probably more of an indictment on others that Scully, Carlisle and Grimes are about the top 12.

No way

Talia and Gunston have been elite for most of their careers.

Gawn has been for 2 seasons
Gawn has just been voted the most difficult player in the competition to replace by his peers. He's also won the AFLCA most valuable player award.

The other two players have been better for longer, but neither have reached the heights of Gawn's career.

If all three were standing against a wall no other club is picking a player other than Gawn out of those three - except maybe Collingwood.

I agree with you re longevity. It does make it hard to compartmentalise them.

I suppose you're looking for a few more years of Gawn repeating his recent output, which is fair enough and hard to disagree with.

On career to date I`d take Talia and Gunston over Gawn but only Gawn is going to go close to Martin and Fyfe.

I saw someone earlier rate Martin and Fyfe as 1A and 1B. If Gawn puts together 4 more years he`ll make it a 1A 1B 1C race where it's difficult to split them. You'd expect he`s a strong chance to add a flag and be a big part (B&F, MVP) of that flag.

Just had a look at our draft, ******* hell Scott Clayton was cooked. No surprise that this was his last draft for us.

Pick 15 - Christian Howard (20 games - worst part is he was rated as a 3rd rounder at best, Clayton reached hard, and it was a resounding failure)
Pick 31 - Jason Tutt (26 games, traded to Carlton, retired on 40)
Pick 63 - Lukas Markovic (29 games)
Pick 76 - Shane Thorne (nothing)
Rookie Pick 19 - Brodie Moles (17 games)
Rookie Pick 35 - Andrew Hooper (7 games)
Rookie Pick 48 - Matthew Panos (nothing)
Rookie Pick 59 - Eddie Prato (nothing)
Rookie Pick 68 - Patrick Rose (nothing)

Absolutely nothing out of that draft, all were gone within a few years.

Contrast that to Simon Dalrymple's first year in 2010, where we got Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen and Luke Dahlhaus. To be fair, Libba and Wallis were father sons, but JJ and Dahl individually have produced more than that entire 2009 draft combined, including JJ winning a Norm Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a look at our draft, ******* hell Scott Clayton was cooked. No surprise that this was his last draft for us.

Pick 15 - Christian Howard (20 games - worst part is he was rated as a 3rd rounder at best, Clayton reached hard, and it was a resounding failure)
Pick 31 - Jason Tutt (26 games, traded to Carlton, retired on 40)
Pick 63 - Lukas Markovic (29 games)
Pick 76 - Shane Thorne (nothing)
Rookie Pick 19 - Brodie Moles (17 games)
Rookie Pick 35 - Andrew Hooper (7 games)
Rookie Pick 48 - Matthew Panos (nothing)
Rookie Pick 59 - Eddie Prato (nothing)
Rookie Pick 68 - Patrick Rose (nothing)

Absolutely nothing out of that draft, all were gone within a few years.

Contrast that to Simon Dalrymple's first year in 2010, where we got Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen and Luke Dahlhaus. To be fair, Libba and Wallis were father sons, but JJ and Dahl individually have produced more than that entire 2009 draft combined, including JJ winning a Norm Smith
Scott Clayton has always been over rated as a recruiter imo

Gawn has just been voted the most difficult player in the competition to replace by his peers. He's also won the AFLCA most valuable player award.

The other two players have been better for longer, but neither have reached the heights of Gawn's career.

If all three were standing against a wall no other club is picking a player other than Gawn out of those three - except maybe Collingwood.

I agree with you re longevity. It does make it hard to compartmentalise them.

I suppose you're looking for a few more years of Gawn repeating his recent output, which is fair enough and hard to disagree with.
thats probably more a reflection of Melbourne's Ruck Stocks...

1. Nat Fyfe
2. Max Gawn
3. Dustin Martin
4. Mitch Duncan
5. Ben Cunnington
6. Daniel Thalia
7. Jack Gunston
8. Tom Scully
9. David Astbury
10. Jake Carlisle

1. Nat Fyfe
2. Max Gawn
3. Dustin Martin
4. Mitch Duncan
5. Ben Cunnington
6. Daniel Thalia
7. Jack Gunston
8. Tom Scully
9. David Astbury
10. Jake Carlisle
I'm not sure about Gawn in front of Martin. The real question is how did Melbourne rate Scully and Trengove over Martin? And Watts over Natanui? Two of the biggest draft blunders of all time.

I'm not sure about Gawn in front of Martin. The real question is how did Melbourne rate Scully and Trengove over Martin? And Watts over Natanui? Two of the biggest draft blunders of all time.
Settle - we have all had howlers - Tambling over Buddy is as bad as the above 2 examples.

Agree with Martin in front of Gawn.

Hawthorn and Bulldogs picked Roughead and Griffin before Buddy.
That is true but Hawks rated Buddy at 1. Knew Tiges were taking Lids at 1 and that WB wanted griffin at 3. Roughy had already been promised to the tiges at 4 so they jumped up and grabbed Rough early at 2. It was a brilliant bit of drafting that by the hawks. Built an era from that draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back