2010 Grand Finals: Whose stock has gone up, whose has gone down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Having watched the replay of GF2 several times now I have to say that while I thought Hayes was sensational in GF1, and got plenty of the ball in GF2, in GF2 he turned the ball over more than almost any other player. I guess that's going to happen if you're getting plenty of the ball in a side that's getting pumped but for me it put a bit of a downer on his campaign and reaffirmed my opinion that Goddard should have got the medal in GF1.

The only players from Collingwood who I reckon came out looking better to me than they went in were Sidebottom, Brown and Dawes. From my perspective most of the rest did pretty much what I expected and played the way they had all year. Dawes on the other hand really rose to the occasion and became the most dangerous forward we had while Sidebottom showed a bit more poise than I expected. Brown was just plain unbelievable the way he managed to work Riewoldt into bad positions more often than not. Some reckon that the disposal from St Kilda's midfielders wasn't up to scratch but frankly I reckon Brown just forced Riewoldt under or off the ball which made the service look worse than it was.

Those who reckon Cloke went down really didn't watch the game. Cloke earns his spot by making the contest in the forward line and bringing the ball to ground. He was always going to be targeted in the finals and I reckon that kicking aside he did a sensational job with his aggression at the contest.

Up:
Thomas, all the nay sayers are now having to reappraise. He aint soft and he goes all day and he is not so much the flair as opposed to the work ethic these days

Dawes, the replay he was superb, lots of taps to players resulting in goals, a couple of goals himself and starting to realise he can be Tarzan, not Jane.

Sidebottom, will be a handful in a few years, you can tell he loves playing the game.

N Brown, made me nervous going into both games, by half time, in the replay, I couldnt wait for any contest between him and riewoldt, he just got better and better, outbodied Riewoldt and ran with him very well.

Ben Johnson, always been a fan and just love him running into goal 60 metres out, its a gimme these days. They reset his leg at the right angle finally!

Down:
beams, still plenty of time for him, but he couldnt get anywhere near the ball.

Johnson has quietly gone about saving his career. He was fairly close to being delisted wasn't he? Good year from him.
He had a huge rocket put up him in 2008, called fat by Eddie of all people.

Broke his leg early 2009, must have reset it at an angle to straighten his kicking because he hasnt looked back since.

Great link player and one of the few that likes to carry the ball thru the corridor at Collingwood. Can shut down quality opponents and still win the ball and will damage you with penetrating kicks deep into the forward 50.

He didn't really cost us the game, considering it was a draw. I'm actually glad it turned out as it did because if he kicked straight, it would have robbed us of the awesome display by our team in the replay. We would have missed out on Heath Shaws smother of the century, and Didaks smother and goal.

Lol at people saying Peake's stocks have gone down. I think people are now understanding why getting pick 49 for him was a bargain

Win/Win trade IMV. He was never going to play in a GF at Fremantle.

For supposedly the best player int he comp, thought Swan was very average in both games.

Reminded me of Riewoldt in a lot of ways - super player but did not impose himself when it counted.

Montagna I feel is just being shown up as over-rated. Inf act I never really rated him as a top line player - just a very good one. Was awful when it counted and did not throw one punch.

stocks up - covered well and truely.

For supposedly the best player int he comp, thought Swan was very average in both games.

Reminded me of Riewoldt in a lot of ways - super player but did not impose himself when it counted.

Montagna I feel is just being shown up as over-rated. Inf act I never really rated him as a top line player - just a very good one. Was awful when it counted and did not throw one punch.

I am pretty sure he had the most clearances, or in the top couple in the first GF, which in a world of useless stats is one of the few stats that really matter.

I won't comment on Saints players other than to say Kosi was poor as a forward yet again but looked good in the ruck which was no surprise to me. He should have been the ruckman in GF2 and that he wasn't has lowered Lyon in my eyes.

As for Collingwood, two players with big game reputations and drafted on the back of them showed why they had those reputations. Sidebottom or Thomas would have been worthy Norm Smith medalists. Ried and Brown upped their repuations over the 2 games and Dawes did a fantastic job in GF2.

Davis lived up to his reputation after a poor year.

Most of the other Collingwood players were around the mark as expected.

As for Swan, he had less touches than but did influential things, particualry in the replay and particualrly in the 3rd Q. For a player criticised for cheap posessions and lack of influence it is odd to see him jumped on for less possessions and plays of impact.

1 more comment on a Saints player. Goddard is a gun and should be captain. Not that Reiwoldt is a bad captain at all but Goddard leads by example and with controlled (for the most part) emotion from the from the middle and still does what is required when it is needed forward and back. BOG in GF 1 IMO and nearly the only Saint worth a mention in the first half of GF2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gone Up
Goddard - The bloke is a gun 2nd best player in the league behind Ablett

Thomas - Pies supporters have seen what he has been doing past 2 years working very hard and now will be known as a A-Grader anybody who thinks his soft is a fool 3rd hardest bloke on the ground behind Hayes and Ball thats saying something

Hayes - If there was any doubt he was a champion theres no doubt now

Sidebottom - The kid has arrived loves the big stage and stiff not to have the Norm Smith

Jolly - Biggest recruit of the year is in the top 3 rucks in the league just a class player

Dawes - Came in not rated by alot people will take notice now does everything right very smart footballer

Presti - Presti for being a true champion and not taking his place for the good of the side.

Ball - Showing his just a true class act could have shoved it up Roo and Lyon chose to go about it with great respect dont no many people who would after being slagged off by Coach and Captain/Friend and being told his not good enough

Gone Down
Davis - Will never get a big game chance again doenst deserve it very lucky to have a Premiership nect to his name

Eddy/McQualiter/Dempster/Peake - Just shown to be average footballers playing with a very good 12 or 13 blokes

Montagna - No where to be seen like some have said just seems to bully the lesser teams

Kosi - Shouldnt be getting a game i actually didnt think he could fall anymore

Beams - Had two shockers but only 20 he will get another chance

Not so bad
Roo - Didnt have much help was good in first GF still a champion as much as i dislike him

Cloke - Did his job wasnt as bad as people think

McEvoy - Kid took some great marks bit stiff to be copping a whack

Seeing as that's his job, and he cost us the first game, its a bit hard look past this.
Correction... One of his jobs! Yes his kicking is an issue but whn you bring the ball to ground or take contested marks with the regularity he does you will partly reduce the impact of a poor conversion rate. Just imagine how many goals he would kick in a season if he ever gets it all working!

Ya'll may not have noticed him much because ya'll are uneducated, but Chris Judd was nothing short of amazing.

Swan did plenty in GF2 including keeping Goddard out of the play for fairly long periods of time when asked. On top of that he kept the influence of some St Kilda players to a minimum by forcing them to be accountable and then went on to have a blinder in the premiership quarter. Not a bad report card if you ask me.

Swan had a good first half in the draw and a good second half in the replay.

Good summary from BEEG. Maybe Ball and Dawes stayed about the same rather than went up. I think Gwilt is another who definitely went up.

Ball had a very good game in the replay doing a super job on the Norm Smith Lenny Hayes but that wasnt the reason i put him in never seen a bloke with as much class as Ball and considering most Saint supporters hanged it on him all year i just feel he was very respectful towards the Players and Supporters.

Dawes i put in because no one rated him and did an amazing job he was the one to give the handball to Cloke which got us back in front

I was only talking about as a player. Ball was shocking in the 1st GF is the reason why he stays about the same. 1 shocker and 1 very good game = stay the same.
Agree with you about Luke Ball as a person. Huge amount of respect for him after the way he handled himself after the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back