2011 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Davis, Lachlan Kilpatrick, Eric Moody and Jack Pratt from the Swans Academy have been nominated as draft considerations under the Academy bidding process. So I guess that makes them draft prospects.

Anybody know anything about them? Moody has played a couple of games for the Swans reserves, Pratt is going to play for the reserves in their next game, but it's tough finding info on them.

Thanks for the effort Snoop, I'm keen to see Sumner, Crozier, O'Meara, Sexton, Bolger and Yarran.

Are you sure Liam Corrie is the right name Snoop? The Tigers picked him up last year as a part of the "training draft" but nothing came of it. He was never even seen at the club!

I believe he's the cousin of Anthony Corrie and Alwyn Davey.

Cousin of both Davey boys but not sure on Anthony. Yeah same guy who was invited down to Tigers and not sure exactly what happened there. Is playing for the all conquering Thunder side and he is going well. This kid was arguably one of the better 16yo's going around a few years ago. I think he is the youngest player ever to play SANFL seniors (not 100% sure but something like that). Went pretty well and been dogged by injuries ever since. Only played a handful of games last year but Tigers got him down for a rookie spot so they had obviously been watching. He will need to have a big champs and moreover show that he is committed but there are no doubts the lad can play and he goes real good.

Ps Unlike Anthony Corrie - this kid wins his own footy.

Snoop, Can you tell me some KP Backman to watch out for? Cheers :thumbsu:

Havent got notes with me but from memory the stocks on KP backs are pretty thin this year mate. There are a number of good ruck prospects but few really good key position defenders / fwds like we had last year when Watson, Lynch, McCarthy, Mitchell, Day, Darling etc were in the mix. Sam Frost is one i like but he is injured at present and he wouldnt be in the top 50-60 i would think. We will see what Champs throw up but I think this is a midfield / HB type crop.

Personally I think some guys like Shaun Tapp, Trent Shinner, Toby Thoolen are ones that might get a look in late from a state league perspective. Always Tyler Challwell who I havent given up hope on just yet although languishing in the 2's at the moment.

Havent got notes with me but from memory the stocks on KP backs are pretty thin this year mate. There are a number of good ruck prospects but few really good key position defenders / fwds like we had last year when Watson, Lynch, McCarthy, Mitchell, Day, Darling etc were in the mix. Sam Frost is one i like but he is injured at present and he wouldnt be in the top 50-60 i would think. We will see what Champs throw up but I think this is a midfield / HB type crop.

Personally I think some guys like Shaun Tapp, Trent Shinner, Toby Thoolen are ones that might get a look in late from a state league perspective. Always Tyler Challwell who I havent given up hope on just yet although languishing in the 2's at the moment.
Okay thanks mate. Well there goes my hopes for a good Richmond draft :eek:

Snoops list covers most of my favourites. From the TAC I'd add Clay Smith (an obvious one), Danny Butcher, Daniel Markworth, Michael Mascoulis (hopefully he gets over his hammy in time to play a game or two for metro), Jackson Paine and Vlastuin the underager. Some 19yos in Adam Kennedy (bit of a budget-issue Gaff from what I've seen) and Dandenong's Haynes. A few blokes like Drummond from the Cannons will be worth watching in the TAC in the meantime, to see how well they step up when they get a more senior midfield role in the absence of the rep boys.

And whatever happened to Hal Hunter?

Snoops list covers most of my favourites. From the TAC I'd add Clay Smith (an obvious one), Danny Butcher, Daniel Markworth, Michael Mascoulis (hopefully he gets over his hammy in time to play a game or two for metro), Jackson Paine and Vlastuin the underager. Some 19yos in Adam Kennedy (bit of a budget-issue Gaff from what I've seen) and Dandenong's Haynes. A few blokes like Drummond from the Cannons will be worth watching in the TAC in the meantime, to see how well they step up when they get a more senior midfield role in the absence of the rep boys.

hal hunter has been playing school footy

All good players. paine, Haynes and smith all look real good.

Bolger has played probably 10 games of footy in the past 3 years.. he's been talked up a fair bit too, from wa, gault from swans, and borett from east perth are the standouts by a long way. (ruckman)

17 Yr Old Lewis Hender made his SANFL League Debut for Glenelg tonight.
(Missed his school formal to make his league debut, but didn't mind at all)

Basic info & Photo here for those interested:
http://www.glenelgfc.com.au/home/players/lewis-hender

Originally from Keith in Glenelg's Sth East zone.
Strongly built lad, and has been from a young age. Really strong mark, stands up for himself and his team mates.

2011 Pre-season saw him focus on endurance and fitness, and his improvement in these areas is obvious to people who have seen him over the past couple of years.

In 2011 has played U18s Rnd 1, the next 5 Rnds in Reserves where he has kicked 17 goals, then kicked 3 goals on debut tonight in the League team against Sturt.

He is in State 18s squad again this year, after showing his talent with 4 goals in the first half last year against WA, then 4 against Tasmania as well.

Lewie was a member of Glenelg's 2010 SANFL U18s Premiership team, kicking 42 goals from 13 matches last season, and gave off quite a few as well.

Good Character in this lad - Late last year when the Keith Hospital in Country SA was in the firing line for Gov't funding cuts, Lewie and 5 of his his mates ran and rode the 240km from Keith to Adelaide in 3 days to highlight the plight of their local hospital.
He was a bit stiff and sore for a few weeks after, but said it was all worth it for the exposure it got in the media to highlight their district's need for their hospital.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks falcon. I thought he debuted earlier in the year but will take your word. He is a talent though and really looking fwd to his champs. Will see his first game

did you watch the glenelg game falcon??

i didnt but going from the stats how about that ben kennedy kid.. wow.

looks like he tore the game apart. 25 possies 4 gls.. was named in the bests and he was born 3/3/94, so does that mean he is eligible this draft or in 2012 draft??

yeah hender with 3 goals he certainly knows how to kick them doesnt he, from pics looks like a he is fairly solid, is gonna be a good build but at 187cms is too short for a kf. so hopefully he either grows a few cms or shows he has the workrate to be a good leadup hff/ fp type.

damn from all these guns kids that wont be eligible like mayes, kennedy and whitfield, and back to normal for the draft next year im getting more excited about the 2012 draft than the next one lol.

did you watch the glenelg game falcon??

i didnt but going from the stats how about that ben kennedy kid.. wow.

looks like he tore the game apart. 25 possies 4 gls.. was named in the bests and he was born 3/3/94, so does that mean he is eligible this draft or in 2012 draft??

Yes I've seen all Ben's games this year.
He has played League in all games so far this season. He began the season quietly goal wise, still was picking up touches without too much trouble, but part of a forward line that wasn't efficiently taking advantage of the numerous opportunites presented.
He has stepped up in the past few games though and has settled into the senior team well. The past 2 matches he has shown his flair and ability to read the play at senior level, that he has thrived on in junior grades.

Has a slight dilema this week as is under pressure to play in an important game for Sacred Heart 1st 18, a SA State trial game, or League for Glenelg.
Decisions, Decisions ;)

so with a 3/3/94 birthday is he eligible this draft or 2012??

i love when these young kids can step up against men at this early stage and perform. has been a very good indicator of the kids that can dominate at afl level ( trengove, cooney etc).

looks like the sa state team will have a gun midfield these champs, wingard, kennedy, is mayes a midfielder?

you seem to watch a bit of local footy, any more updates or guys you want to shed some light on would be great falcon, cheers.

i love when these young kids can step up against men at this early stage and perform. has been a very good indicator of the kids that can dominate at afl level ( trengove, cooney etc).

looks like the sa state team will have a gun midfield these champs, wingard, kennedy, is mayes a midfielder?

you seem to watch a bit of local footy, any more updates or guys you want to shed some light on would be great falcon, cheers.

Not till next year, with that birth date.

is mayes a midfielder?

I watch Glenelg each week, so can really only comment on Glenelg players progress & ability.

I would expect Ben Kennedy & Lewis Hender (both 17yr olds) to be under scrutiny by GWS under their special considerations for this years draft.

I would also like 19 yr old Darcy Armfield, part of last years SA 18s team, to get considered again after another year of senior football under his belt.
Darcy is another strong forward who has played mostly Reserves this season, however played his 2nd League game on Fri night against Sturt. He kicked 3 goals while Kennedy kicked 4.

Dylan Riley - Bit of talk around him as a good prospect. Killed it vs Sandy last week.

Certainly look forward to charting his progress. Will be catching them when they play Oakleigh next weekend.

Was South's BOG last night. Has played 5 games for South TSL seniors this year and been in the bests every game as well as BOG for Tassie against Sandy in their only game so far.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...pID=191986377&client=1-3385-0-151866-13888222

A couple of boys i know from Eastern Ranges.....Their names are, Ben Slattery, Max Warren and Nick Sargeant. Please people, watch for these boys come draft time, especially the first two.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::footy::footy::footy:

(probably getting towards time to start a championships results thread?)

Went along to see the vic country vs vic metro trial game today.

Ran to six 22 min 'quarters', with varying squads on the ground. VM split their squad into two roughly equal teams, each of which played 3 quarters, while country ran a near full-strength side for the first three quarters, making some changes and giving some of their topliners a rest for the last half.

No real report, the structure of things made the results meaningless, but for those who care, Country won the first half by about 6 goals, while Metro took out the second by 10. Warmish day with occasional rain, didn't seem particularly slippery though.

Again, hard to make balanced judgements on players given the weird structure of the game made it impossible to evaluate, engine, consistency etc, plus a lot of these guys i was seeing for the first time, but some of the eyecatchers....

Patton. The real deal. GWS-bound for a certainty. Could play ff in the AFL tomorrow. Strong mark, accurate kick, good leap, fast lead, agile, built like a truck. Has it all.

Longer probably the best of the rucks on show. Hand-fed his mids with directed double-handed taps, took marks around the ground. I'd like to see him mark above his head more often and less on his chest though.

Woodward classy, evasive, used the ball well. One *brilliant* pass to Patton set up a goal.

Atkins probably the best VM mid on show for mine. Just was never cornered, always got the ball to a teammate in space. Underager

Ellis a good battle with Clay Smith. Very strong and solid across half-back and through the middle, got VM out of more than a few scrapes.

Curran played up front, kicked a couple and missed a couple, but I reckon he's a better defender.

Paine spent a bit of time at fullback and took some really strong contested marks one-out. Not sure he isn't a better forward though.

Jason Williams some really good instinctive stuff in traffic, but his kicking is a worry. Up and unders etc.

Toby Greene really good, very quick, hard to catch and just kept on finding the ball and used it well. HBF. Looked smaller than his listed 180cm. One of VMs best in the first half when they got smashed.

Tomlinson continually found space in the forward line and took quite a lot of mostly uncontested marks there.

Tom Sheridan added some real pace and run to VMs sometimes one-paced midfield in the second game. Quality midfielder who doesn't waste much ball.

Dom Tyson a lot of bullocking work in the centre square.

Alex Brown has a bit of pace and size, a bit of class, and a lot of hair. 191cm utility, quite slippery, worth watching.

Memory is a bit fuzzy (I should take notes, especially if i'm not going to be doing these writeups immediately on getting home) but I remember #8 dominating the second game. Problem is I don't remember which side's #8 it was! Fairly sure it was Jaxon Cooke, on reflection, since I remember noting early in the 2nd that Clay Smith had been rested and I don't recall changing my mind on that, but who knows? Anyway, the mysterious #8 was awesome, reading the play like a large-print book with lots of pictures, intercepting handballs all over the place while running at full pace in the opposite direction, hitting targets, and generally dropping jaws everywhere.

To be fair to Clay Smith, even if it wasn't him playing enigmatic superhero in the second half, he worked really hard in the first half, doing lots of grunt work and getting lots of clearances.

Nick Haynes played through the centre and on the wing. Kicking was only ok and didn't seem to get a huge amount of the ball (respectable, not huge) but if there's a better pickup below his ankles among this years talls I haven't seen him. Absolute master of full-pace under-pressure half-volley takes. Brilliant stuff.

Shaun Marusic has blossomed since last year. He was always mobile, well-built and a really strong mark, but his kicking was his achilles heel and he's really fixed it up. Tough, quick, flexible kpp who can hurt you a bunch of different ways (GWS should sign him up under their 10-blokes-who've-previously-nominated-for-the-draft concession, not that they'll need him with Patton and Cameron running around)

Whitfield has been talked about enough. Dynamite underager mid with pace, poise, disposal. Very high 2012 pick.

Lachlan Edwards was one I hadn't seen before. Played all 6 quarters, got a mountain of the ball across hb and through the midfield later. One of the best. Calm and didn't mess up very often, even under pressure. Bit of pace.

Staley was very handy in the ruck and changing forward. Couldn't match Longer in the taps but did well against the others. Good leap, good mark, pretty mobile, ok size for the sort of slightly-undersized kpp/ruckman type player that seems to be vaguely in fashion since the introduction of the sub rule.

Haydn Hector an intense and dedicated game. Played both halves, got clearances, won contested ball, very serious about his defensive work.

Frazer Dale a real bright spark for VC in the second half when it was one way traffic. Dunno what a Calder boy is doing playing for country, but he's quick, smart and very strong overhead as a mid-sized fwd.

Schache was pretty good, not quite top-echelon mid work in the first half (shaded by Whitfield and Smith) but good nonetheless. Accumulator who gets a lot of ball in close. Wasn't as clean as he could have been at times, opponents got a hand in to muffle the handball a bit more often than he'd like.

Crisp is another one I'd never heard of, but won a lot of contests and showed a fair bit of coolness across the wing and hb line. Good utility size.

Piva Wright and Simon Deery a really tough kpd combination, and were probably one of the main differences for VC in the first half against some pretty decent opposition in Paine (early) and Curran. Deery taller and more of a leaper, Wright solid and strong, and spoils big with both fists like a little Mal Michael. Would have loved to see them go up against Patton, but I guess the time will come...

Viney worth a mention too, for the dees supporters. Good little hard nut, nice skills by foot when he gets outside. Slightly outmuscled a time or two, to be expected considering he's playing against bigger and older blokes, but tracking really well for an underager.

Viney worth a mention too, for the dees supporters. Good little hard nut, nice skills by foot when he gets outside. Slightly outmuscled a time or two, to be expected considering he's playing against bigger and older blokes, but tracking really well for an underager.

Good to hear mate :thumbsu:

What's your thinking on this Vic groups talent from one sighting?

Good to hear mate :thumbsu:

What's your thinking on this Vic groups talent from one sighting?

My biased and incomplete (since I've seen much more of the Metro boys than Country) impression is that VM might have the edge this year. Probably not a huge one, but I just reckon they bat deeper through the midfield. I don't think VC have 7th, 8th and 9th mids to match blokes like Newnes, Kennedy, Tyson, Morris, Vlastuin and Greene. The top end of the VC midfield - Whitfield, Smith, Benbow, Hector - is quality, it just looks to drop off a bit faster from my first impression. I didn't see Danny Butcher or Devon Smith today though, and they might make a difference in this department. Butcher wasn't listed on the team sheet, and Smith was but I just didn't spot him for whatever reason.

Longer is the best Vic ruck by a reasonable way, though both Staley and Elton at his best (did a couple of good things to day, without really impacting the game too much) look better than VMs second ruck (Prowse? Harris? Roberts?), and May probably is too.

VC look to have a better batch of kpp than I expected, but again VM have the depth edge - Paine, Curran, Bussey, Tomlinson, Talia and Richards are all very good, and Longer is a dangerous forward when resting too. And I don't think VC have anyone who can match Patton, either to stop him or to provide an equal weapon to him in their forward line. Deery looked good today, but Wright is undersized against the 194cm+ blokes.

But I haven't seen WA or SA at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back