2012 afl draft which club came out the best ?

Remove this Banner Ad

How's Towers progressing? Surprised at his lack of dominance in the NEAFL given how good he was in the VFL.

I think Membrey and Marsh will both prove to be very good picks in time. Membrey may not break into the Swans side with Franklin, Tippett, Reid and Goodes there, but with the way that he destroys defenders in the reserves he's going to get further opportunities somewhere. Marsh is another stereotypical Sydney half back/midfielder biding his time, when he comes in he will do well.

How's Towers progressing? Surprised at his lack of dominance in the NEAFL given how good he was in the VFL.
Has done nothing to suggest he should have been taken in the first round. Occasional patches of good form accompanied by patches of average form.

Has done nothing to suggest he should have been taken in the first round. Occasional patches of good form accompanied by patches of average form.

Every team needs a Jack Watts with which to judge their other draftees.

No mention of Sydney?

1st round - Dean Towers (0 games)
2nd round - Harrison Marsh (0 games)
3rd round - Tim Membrey (0 games)
3rd round - Matthew Dick (0 games)

1st round - Dean Towers (1 game)

We are in this thread now

Most teams are probably very happy with how they went in this draft so far.

Western Bulldogs - call me biased but we basically picked up 4 best 22 players in this draft, Macrae is looking to be one of the best players from the draft, we also got Stringer who was always going to take time and many on the doggies board think when his body is right he will become better than Macrae, Libba and Bontempelli! also managed to pick up Hrovrat at #21 and Hunter as a massive steal at #49.

Collingwood - did really well like usual, Grundy was touted a top 3 pick a few weeks before the draft and they snagged him at #18..easily the best pick of the draft. They also secured Kennedy who looks a future best 22 player for them.

Melbourne - did really well to get Viney at pick #26 and secure Hogan through the MD#2 as well as keeping pick #4, If they had of taken Wines over Toumpas they would have won the draft my miles imo.

Brisbane did pretty awesome as well

In a few years I think we'll see the big winners out of this draft will be the Dogs.
  • Macrae might end up being considered the best out of this draft (Whitfield, Mayes, Wines, Vlastuin, Menzel the other front-runners so far).
  • From what I've seen of Stringer, if he gets his body sorted he'll be a beast of a midfielder.
  • Hrovat is going to be a solid starting 18 player in a year or two.
  • Hunter looks to have plenty of quality as well, another best 18 player in a few years.
Dees have got plenty of games out of our draft crop but that's mostly because our list is poor. Viney was a steal at #26 - we'll see how the rest turn out.

The Lions got Sam Mayes (Elite kick) and a promising tall in Paparone to make a pretty good draft, but I feel the addition of Moloney made the Lions look passed getting some onballers which was a little disappointing

Lions have some very good young talent. I think the 2013 draft will be looked back on very favourably. Lewis Taylor looks like a Tarkyn Lockyer clone.

Martin Gleeson and Lachie Hunter are the most inspired selections from this draft. Gleeson is going to be a jet, and Hunter looks to be on the same trajectory.

Martin Gleeson and Lachie Hunter are the most inspired selections from this draft. Gleeson is going to be a jet, and Hunter looks to be on the same trajectory.
Hunter was also a F/S, not really inspired :p Good to get him so late. Gleeson looks like a very handy player so far, you guys did well there.

Still to early to tell. Come back in about 2017
Agh, what? You just pumped up Grundy's tyres heaps then as soon as people jump on you, you say this.

I mean if you said this at the start it would be fine, but not after you already gave a strong opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These threads are great fun.

There have no doubt been kill-joys sayin' it's too early to say, but part of the fun is being an expert and identifying movers and shakers early in the piece.

Draft picks are overrated, pick 10 from 2013 for Collingwood could be a disaster cause the poor kid's (Freeman) hammy's look to be not up to it.

Collingwood have done very well with picks 18, 19 and 20.

Last edited:
Thrilled with this draft. Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat and Hunter will be best 22 players for a decade or more, and if Josh Prudden can overcome his injuries he'll be a very handy player too.

Collingwood worked their way into it beautifully too, and having seen a bit of Broomhead, Kennedy and Grundy at VFL/AFL level they all look like good picks.

While picks 2-4 look ordinary at this point in time (O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas), I really like a few of the players that were selected, particularly early on. I'll be keenly watching Kennedy, Whitfield, Wines, Mayes, Menzel and Daniher for as long as they're around.

Still to early to tell. Come back in about 2017
Hello from 2017. As expected there are a whole heap of ridiculous statements and players being horribly overrated !! Beware these threads can make you look very foolish. They are great fun to look back on though. North supporter talking up Dan Currie and Mitch Wilkins and Freo supporter pumping up Jack Hannath's tyres. And that's not the worst of it.

All in all, draft has not really delivered

4/top 5 have moved clubs.
Stringer, Daniher and rampe have gone on to AA status. 3 in 5 years. 2013 has delivered more in less time
Macrae should have an AA. Genuine gun and would be a close second to Daniher as the best player from this draft

Swans nailed the rookie draft with Lloyd and rampe.

Essendon have reaped these draft nicely with trading;
Daniher and Gleeson are great picks
Stringer and Stewart added in the last two years
Shame we didn't stick with our commitment to Atkins.

The Bulldogs despite the Stringer hurdle are still winning this with Macrae and Hunter both really good players.
Hogan and Viney. Pretty good 1-2.

Pity about Toumpas. Cant believe he is still on an AFL list tbh

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hogan was taken in the mini-draft so he wasn't eligible for the national draft until 2013, so he can't really be counted.

The Bulldogs despite the Stringer hurdle are still winning this with Macrae and Hunter both really good players.

Hogan was taken in the mini-draft so he wasn't eligible for the national draft until 2013, so he can't really be counted.
But he was the mini draft in 2012

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wish we could've kept Membrey in Sydney, we probably would've shitted the draft in if so.

Towers at 23 not amazing but not terrible either, similary Harry Marsh at 44. And Rampe and Lloyd in the rookie draft is amazing work. Naismith as a Cat B rookie a nice bonus too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back