Review 2012 List Review/What our issues are

Remove this Banner Ad

i kmow i'm almost alone in thinking this but i just don't see Casboult making it. obviously i'm no wise footy oracle and have no say in anything at the club, but i just have a sneaking suspicion he will get him marching orders at the end of the season.

i know he's had a terrible trot with injuries and i'm sure others can find examples of similar players whom have made it (gumbleton) imo i don't think he will be with us.
I too am worried and I can not believe that a player can get to the AFL and not be able to kick!!

I too am worried and I can not believe that a player can get to the AFL and not be able to kick!!
It is not as easy as handballing (see my Sig) but if you started from scratch in September and had twice weekly one on one sessions with a kicking master surely after 7 months even Cas should be a decent kick by next April :footy:

i kmow i'm almost alone in thinking this but i just don't see Casboult making it. obviously i'm no wise footy oracle and have no say in anything at the club, but i just have a sneaking suspicion he will get him marching orders at the end of the season.
I had put a line through him along time ago but he is winning me over. Given what he's shown already if he's persisted with I could see him becoming a very good contested mark at AFL level and players like that are pretty hard to find as we Carlton supporters know.

It is not as easy as handballing (see my Sig) but if you started from scratch in September and had twice weekly one on one sessions with a kicking master surely after 7 months even Cas should be a decent kick by next April :footy:

Still think his problem is fitness, has worked on this but injury hasn't helped. .. Not helped by a poor kicking action but kicks better at the start of the matches than the end of the matches it seems. ..

You can improve your kicking but like most skills once you have a poor action it is hard to unlearn it (Baseball and Golf glaring examples of this) but like those afforementioned sports you can compensate for your poor action and improve it. .. Wonder if any footballers have ever switched kicking feet to correct a poor action (ie. Baseball). ..

Can I ask you ROK lovers a serious question
If he is so good, so unbelievably good that this bloke keeps smashing the door down at cramer st every second week for a game in the seniors....... then why the f$rk has he I only got one senior game to his name in 3+ seasons.

I am not an ROK fan nor do I dislike the guy ir even think he is a bad footballer but all I have seen from him is half a game in the ones. To me you can throw a blanket over him, white, Davies & russell (2011/12 version). At least JR has some runs on the board!!

like reading all the Okeefe love,but this is a harsh sport/world he has had plenty of time to show he can make it an sadly his body isn't upto it so he has to go sadly :(
carter is a good player just not a high stat earner rats doesn't rate him so he is gone
kerr is a spud, go showed up by a 17 year old kid one game this year...
lodge, oh dear,the kid seems a great guy but i'd be stuned if he got another year...
rowe hope he is kicking butt first off, footy 2nd.. wonder if carlton will ask to rookie list him like the bombers did with rama,
i'll be unpopluar here but i'd get rid of levi,kid can't kick at the afl standard,
need to rookie draft a young ruckmen,rookie marcon, some quick outside midefield players aswell

Can I ask you ROK lovers a serious question
If he is so good, so unbelievably good that this bloke keeps smashing the door down at cramer st every second week for a game in the seniors....... then why the f$rk has he I only got one senior game to his name in 3+ seasons.

I am not an ROK fan nor do I dislike the guy ir even think he is a bad footballer but all I have seen from him is half a game in the ones. To me you can throw a blanket over him, white, Davies & russell (2011/12 version). At least JR has some runs on the board!!

Rhys has been injured for the majority of his career at Carlton.
2009- 8 games before succumbing to osteitis pubis
2010- 2 or 3 games before a hip injury and a stress fracture in his lower lumbar spine, kept him out for the year.
2011- managed almost the full season with the Ants, played the one Carlton game after being elevated when Andy Collins was put on the LTI list
2012- Had a shaky start to the year, virtually no pre-season, only started playing late may/early june.

As for Levi, he spent a lot of last year, when fit working on his kicking action and had improved dramatically from his first season. He has shown on multiple occassions in the VFL that he can kick goals. After his latest injury, he seems to have struggled to kick goals. He's only in his 5th game for the year, and will need to do some work on it. Everyone has off games where they can't kick straight and miss.
If Levi is retained, which I believe he will be, he is the kind of person who will knuckle down and work really hard on things that need to be improved or changed. He has shown that he is a determined, hard worker throughout his career so far.

Levi kicked a clutch goal against Richmond and even players that are skilled as Dale Thomas and Chris Judd can spray shots so not sure how you can justify getting rid of him. Tom Hawkins 2012 and Travis Cloke last year are examples of players who couldn't kick for crap but managed to overcome their issues to become good players.

The other thing that will effect his kicking is his fitness. As has been discussed at length on this board he has only played a few games of any footy this year. He probably finds it difficult to find the poise needed for a set shot when he has just exerted himself. FWIW Fev was a shocking set shot when he first debuted but he was able to really work on kicking and we all know what came of him.

I think it's worth persisting with Levi and hopefully he can keep working on his kicking. It will be interesting how we set up next year with Casboult, Mitchell and how we use our 3 rucks next year. If Squid and Cas continue to develop there will be one or two ruckman playing a lot of VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for the life of me, i cannot understand why there is talk of delisting thornton

he is depth in 2 crucial areas of the game, pretty established in both
so next year waite has a ravaged season, as to with mitchell and casboult exactly like every other season, so you take hendo and keep effing around with his positions. hampson is not a key forward. hendo is now a key defender

really hoping to see big sam rowe line up next year

i have heard so much talk about ROK and he is effected by injuries and blah blah but i would rather retain him and miss out on another ex afl player like heyne who couldnt get a game in an average st kilda side.

they had the right dea with rowe and jamison, recruiting players who have reached their peak sizing, annybody look to the vfl or sanfl or any other league for a 60+ 190+ 92kg+ key forward and defender

The other thing that will effect his kicking is his fitness. As has been discussed at length on this board he has only played a few games of any footy this year. He probably finds it difficult to find the poise needed for a set shot when he has just exerted himself. FWIW Fev was a shocking set shot when he first debuted but he was able to really work on kicking and we all know what came of him.
I hope you don't think I want to get rid of him - I was just saying that I think he needs the sort of work put into him that went into Hawkins and Cloke to improve them. I am a bit sceptical about fitness being much of a factor

I hope you don't think I want to get rid of him - I was just saying that I think he needs the sort of work put into him that went into Hawkins and Cloke to improve them. I am a bit sceptical about fitness being much of a factor

I just thought it was a relevent point to add to what you were saying.

FWIW, I don't think he's a lock for next year, but i'd rather a young KPP who can take a F50 mark over a back flanker who we have plenty of.

I just thought it was a relevent point to add to what you were saying.

FWIW, I don't think he's a lock for next year, but i'd rather a young KPP who can take a F50 mark over a back flanker who we have plenty of.
I agree... eventually we will have the forward line we have really wanted and having Caz around would be a big plus in the backup department.

We just need to get our heads around the idea that it took 5 years for Tomahawk to finally start performing like the KPF that he was supposed to be. Levi has only been in the system for nearly 3 years and for most of that time, he has had knee injuries which has set him back

Succession planning to replace our stars, will be the greatest concern. Youngsters take 2-3 years to get up to speed. In three years Judd & Waite will be 32, Carrazzo & Simpson 31

Rhys has been injured for the majority of his career at Carlton.
2009- 8 games before succumbing to osteitis pubis
2010- 2 or 3 games before a hip injury and a stress fracture in his lower lumbar spine, kept him out for the year.
2011- managed almost the full season with the Ants, played the one Carlton game after being elevated when Andy Collins was put on the LTI list
2012- Had a shaky start to the year, virtually no pre-season, only started playing late may/early june

Looks like we will get see R.OK this w.e. :thumbsu:

May I just compliment you on how good a supporter you are BG4L.
It's clear you follow your boys and appreciate them for efforts most of us don't get to witness.

You never know which vote of confidence may be the difference in making a player, but if I was ROK or Casboult, I'd walk just a little taller for the appreciation of supporters such as you.

Aww thanks Harks! That means a lot!

Do you go and watch the reserves fair bit BG4L?
I do, I have a lot more in past seasons. I thoroughly enjoy watching the younger kids develop their talents.
Workload requirements for me this year meant I did not attend a heap of games in the first half of the year, but are starting to make it to a lot more in this second half of the year.

May I just compliment you on how good a supporter you are BG4L.
It's clear you follow your boys and appreciate them for efforts most of us don't get to witness.

You never know which vote of confidence may be the difference in making a player, but if I was ROK or Casboult, I'd walk just a little taller for the appreciation of supporters such as you.

Have to agree with all of this BG4L. Always like reading your feedback from the VFL games. You clearly pay alot of attention to some of our boys that we dont often get to see.

As Harks said your a great supporter and this really shows through. It was obvious from all your reviews in the off season that went into the BF player reviews PDF :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back