Golf 2012 PGA/European Tour Season

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
1st round of the Hyundai Tournament of Champions on right now. This tournament never feels as big as it should be, simply due to a fair few big names normally skipping it. Doesn't feel the season really ended due to all the golf we had in Australia recently.

Anyway, hopefully one of Scott/Day land a major this year. That's my no.1 wish for the season. Also like to see Ogilvy return to his best after an injury interrupted season. And obviously Tiger, the atmosphere and excitement rises when he he is challenging for tournaments so hopefully he takes his end of season form into the new year.

Only 27 players going around at Kapalua, really getting beyond a joke now, the PGA is even saying they may force players to play here or risk losing ranking points and entitlements.

Badds has had a shocker to start the year, 4 over, currently sitting in last place.

I backed Laird (fantasy pick also) and he's only one of the lead at the moment.:thumbsu:

It should just be a normal tournament. Even if it means a lot of the nationwide grads/lesser names are playing because it would be a fun way to start the season going over to Hawaii. It's just a normal tournament in my eyes but with a small field. I'm not watching it because it has most of the winners from last season, I'm just watching it because I like golf. The tournament is trying to be unique to open the season but whatever prestige it originally had is dying a slow death.

The other tournament that doesn't work anymore is the PGA Grand Slam of Golf. They should just scrap the 'winners only' tournaments because it defeats the purpose if they need replacement players each year.

Like every year the main goal is for an Aussie to win the Masters. We were so close last year, hopefully this is the year. But also for Scott and Day to have great season, hopefully winning a tournament or two.

I like the "winners only" tournament, it's a great reward for players who win a tournament the previous year and should be kept solely for that reason. Just a pity that a few of the top guys don't show

Winners only tournament would work, but in the first week of January given that alot of the big name winners have spent all December playing tournaments around the world, you lose alot of the high world rankers .

I didn't even realise about 10 of the names even won tournaments last year....

Byrd always seems to start the season well, he's got a great record in Hawaii, in both events, and he's the round 1 leader.

Laird only a shot back, internationals have a great record here too, that's why I picked him, it was between him and Choi from the Ints.

Stricker would have to be the favourite to win from only 1 shot off the lead, highest ranked player in the field too.

Tournament is set up well it seems, even after only one round.:)

'Tigermania' is causing the Torrey Pines event, which usually gets a lot of media attention, to play second fiddle to the Euro tour event in Abu Dhabi this week.

Obviously helps that a lot of the best players in the world at the moment are European but the Euro tour seems to be getting bigger each year. I can't remember what it was like in the 90's, early 00's but the whole 'Race to Dubai' concept is working well.

Didn't realise this thread was here, was posting in the Fantasy thread :eek:.

Keegan Bradley and Australia's favourite player Robert Allenby two of the very few players to shoot lower on the South Course than they did on the North @ Torrey Pines. My pick is still Brandt Snedeker who's moved into 2nd after shooting -8. With the North Course out of the way, hard to see anyone coming from too far back to win, even with 2 rounds to play. Lowest scores on the South appears to be about -5.

Agree about the Euro tour, although I must admit I haven't been following golf long enough to fully appreciate how much it's grown.

The Rock wins in Dubai and deserved to. Was a man in control for most of the round and it was shots like his fairway iron on the 16th or 17th, can't remember, that won it for him.

Woods couldn't hit a fairway to save his life and did well just to remain in contention but the signs are there that he has turned a corner. Personally I hope he does return to his best and goes on to beat Nicklaus' 18 majors.

Wow! I guess he was a little unlucky, but damn, that one is going to sting.

Gotta feel for Kyle Van de Stanley because he was awesome all tournament. My fantasy team thanks him though... :p

Awkward

230136-16309558-thumbnail.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Happened to Sim and Lieshman? they disappeared.

Sim has had back issues and I believe he's coming back this year with condiitonal status, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Leishman played this week, made the cut.

Whta a blunder by Kyle Stanley, no you should be hitting anyway near that flag on 18th, an abo****e sin and must be giving him nightmares.

Sim has had back issues and I believe he's coming back this year with condiitonal status, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Leishman played this week, made the cut.

Whta a blunder by Kyle Stanley, no you should be hitting anyway near that flag on 18th, an abo****e sin and must be giving him nightmares.

thanks

remember sim was looking really good a few years back. These days the only aus golfer i got trust in is Scott. If tournaments were for 3 days i would trust Jason Day.

btw i heard Peter Lonard was a alternate for the aus pga this year. If thats True AUS PGA should be ashammed. The guy is a legend in australian golf.

Phoenix open is now on.

Spencer Levin has a strangle-hold on the tournament after round 3. Leads by 6 strokes. Webb, Watson and Stanley all up there. Great to see Kyle Stanley bounce back after last weeks choke. Tied for 5, alongside Greg Chalmers who is the best placed Aussie.

On a side note, 173,000+ spectators were there for round 3. The course has the 16th, a par 3 which is surrounded by 30,000 fans. Its nicknamed "The Colessium" and if the picture below is anything to go by, it wou dbe one intimidating hole!

16th-Hole-at-WM-Phoenix-Open-Aerial.jpg

Phoenix open is now on.

Spencer Levin has a strangle-hold on the tournament after round 3. Leads by 6 strokes. Webb, Watson and Stanley all up there. Great to see Kyle Stanley bounce back after last weeks choke. Tied for 5, alongside Greg Chalmers who is the best placed Aussie.

On a side note, 173,000+ spectators were there for round 3. The course has the 16th, a par 3 which is surrounded by 30,000 fans. Its nicknamed "The Colessium" and if the picture below is anything to go by, it wou dbe one intimidating hole!

16th-Hole-at-WM-Phoenix-Open-Aerial.jpg

I would love to play the hole. Crowd would need helmets though.

What's the saying a week is a long time in Golf? :)

Nice round from Day in Qatar too. -7 was about the worst he could have shot. 9 birdies and he missed I think another 4 birdie putts inside 12 feet.

Great to see Kyle Stanley get the win this morning, even if it was from another collapse from a player. Really talent and will be there for the Fed Ex Cup for a long while thanks to his start of the season.

Disappointing by the aussies, especially Chalmers, best chance at sneaking in the top 50 this year and getting to the masters, Bad final round here hurt that a bit.

Pebble Beach pro am has been ok so far, nothing special. A few notables just off the pace and Tiger does look like he is close to getting back to his best. Certainly not 00/01 or 06 form but he is looking like he is close to finding his tournament winning form again. Probably needs to just get a proper tour event win under his belt and then he might bag a few more.

Harrington was looking good but lost 4 shots on his last 4 holes. He is another who needs a big season. Hasn't really done much since his 08 major double.

Harrington was looking good but lost 4 shots on his last 4 holes. He is another who needs a big season. Hasn't really done much since his 08 major double.
Has surprised me so far, expected him to be quite rusty and not know where his game was at. Kinda hoping he chokes it up again, as I've got money on Ogilvy to beat him H2H, but I wouldn't mind seeing him hit his straps again. Rickie Fowler very disappointing so far, thought he was a real chance. Guess I was wrong :p

Haven't watched a lot of Dubai, but Westwood looks to be striking it really well. Could've been a little further ahead with an ounce of luck and a few more putts.

Edit: Well done to Rafael Cabrera-Bello on his 2nd European Tour win. Played very solidly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back