2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great roll up today.

The crowd today was probably (from a Hawthorn perspective) the only highlight from the game.

Will be interesting to see whether the Hawks/Cats game has now been locked in as a permanent Easter Monday fixture (it was the 4th consecutive fixture)

For it to be locked in as a permanent fixture I think it needs to continually draw 65k+ even when both teams are struggling. Hawks v Cats games may not necessarily attract large crowds anymore once that happens, so I'm not entirely sure about that.

56 and bit thousand tonight, great crowd

The 4th biggest Home attendance for the Saints in history

1. R. 11 1998; 71,488 V Richmond at Waverley
2. R. 5 1990; 67,893 V Colllingwood at the MCG
3. R.13 2010: 58,208 V Geelong at the MCG.
4. Friday night.

Of course the Saints play most of their home games at the Dome and thus most appearances at the G are "away" but it is still among the top 20 home and away attendances for the Saints overall. Curiouslay enough their top 2 attendances V the Tigers have now both been at Saints Home games.

4. Friday night.

Of course the Saints play most of their home games at the Dome and thus most appearances at the G are "away" but it is still among the top 20 home and away attendances for the Saints overall. Curiouslay enough their top 2 attendances V the Tigers have now both been at Saints Home games.

Surely would have been in the 60's if the Saints had beaten the GC last week..

There was a massive Tiger turnout

Surely would have been in the 60's if the Saints had beaten the GC last week..

There was a massive Tiger turnout

Sportsbet have the Saints trading at 81.00 for the flag....in other words the market sees them as no hopers and obviously levels of expectation have nosedived for St Kilda and as you know expectation and on field form are what drive attendance so clearly yes the Saints turnout was probably several thousands below par. However few H+A games are played in perfect conditions in a perfect timeslot with both sides up and about trading at 4.00s and 5.00s for the flag and lots on the line and those few usually produce outliers in terms of crowd figures.

A Saint Kilda trading at 81.00 and struggling to engage its fanbase simply does not draw 60,000 no matter what the opposition turnout. Any exceptions to this reality will be outlying one offs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be realistic. Saints are a mid sized Vic club with low expectations for the season trading currently at 80.00 for the flag not expected to final. In those circumstances 20,000 in a decent turnout.

And what was the difference in 09-10 for Richmond? We were a rabble and still had a good turn out from our supporters. Yeah I know we have more supporters but we didn't make excuses for not showing up to games.

4. Friday night.

Wasn't it a Tiger member replacement game? That surely brings another 5,000 Tiger members along.it was a very good crowd but I reckon it was in line with expectation given both clubs members had access and those other Saints games at the McG would have only been Saints members getting rights.

Still, 56,000 with other good crowds to come looks like another good round of crowds.

And what was the difference in 09-10 for Richmond? We were a rabble and still had a good turn out from our supporters. Yeah I know we have more supporters but we didn't make excuses for not showing up to games.
Saints didn't have a successful period 30 years ago to boost supporter numbers.

Saints didn't have a successful period 30 years ago to boost supporter numbers.

LOL...Clutching at straws now.

30 years ago is why we have good supporter base now? Come on man.

So what about the unsuccessful 30 years. What has that done for our support numbers?

I take your point mate but I don't think the Saints are making excuses. They are what they are...a mid sized club entering a period of lowered hopes and expectations and attendance fall off is inevitable in those circumstances.

LOL...Clutching at straws now.

30 years ago is why we have good supporter base now? Come on man.

So what about the unsuccessful 30 years. What has that done for our support numbers?
Kids tend to either follow family tradition or go for who's successful*.

I imagine in 30 years the cats will have a massive following too.

*In my personal experience.

Kids tend to either follow family tradition or go for who's successful*.

I imagine in 30 years the cats will have a massive following too.

*In my personal experience.

In that case Richmond will have no supporters soon considering the last 30 years. :p

In that case Richmond will have no supporters soon considering the last 30 years. :p
Cmon...Surely Richmond supporters have a longer lifespan than 40 years :D

I know a few who are well into their 90s.

But honestly, I don't know why they have such low numbers. I'm really just trying to make sense of it myself.

Cmon...Surely Richmond supporters have a longer lifespan than 40 years :D

Most Richmond supporters die young. They go to the games like Rich V Carl last week and start to suffer heart failure.

It's sad, but it's true.

Wasn't it a Tiger member replacement game? That surely brings another 5,000 Tiger members along.it was a very good crowd but I reckon it was in line with expectation given both clubs members had access and those other Saints games at the McG would have only been Saints members getting rights.

Still, 56,000 with other good crowds to come looks like another good round of crowds.

I agree. the turnout was pretty much what sensible and objective commentators would have predicted in all the circumstances. The somewhat below par Saints roll up offset by the replacement game additions from Richmond.

Fact is that any H and A game featuring an off colour St Kilda which gets over 50,000 is more than holding its own. As for the Tigers the truth is that we all have known for ages that any semblance of sustained form onfield would see a surge in turnout. I have long argued that a Richmond surge would help raise all boats ( the same would be true if Essendon got into some sustained form ) and the point is shown by a weakish and struggliing St. Kilda copping a much bigger payday than would have been the case without the yellow and black roll up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back