Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

On what planet is Cockatoo ranked top 20 ? He averages less than 10 disposals.

He's not ahead of Neal-Bullen, who you have to low at 25, nor is McKenna for that matter.

Mckenna is easily ahead of Neal Bullen.

Mckenna is easily ahead of Neal Bullen.
Negative.

They average the same amount of disposals, Neal-Bullen is one of the best pressure forwards in the AFL (ranked 6th in the AFL in 2018) to go along with his 27 goals for the season and he averaged more than double McKenna's tackles.

This year in one game he also covered 17.2km, which was the 10th most since the beginning of 2017 according to AFL tracker.

You may want McKenna to be ''easily ahead'', but all it shows is your own limited knowledge of opposition players in the AFL and your extreme bias.

Last edited:
Negative.

They average the same amount of disposals, Neal-Bullen is one of the best pressure forwards in the AFL (ranked 6th in the AFL in 2018) to go along with his 26 goals for the season and he averaged more than double McKenna's tackles.

This year in one game he also covered 17.2km, which was the 10th most since the beginning of 2017 according to AFL tracker.

You may want McKenna to be ''easily ahead'', but all it shows is your own limited knowledge of opposition players in the AFL and your extreme bias.
Were you going for irony?

Negative.

They average the same amount of disposals, Neal-Bullen is one of the best pressure forwards in the AFL (ranked 6th in the AFL in 2018) to go along with his 27 goals for the season and he averaged more than double McKenna's tackles.

Tbh they’re probably pretty close right now, I could rattle off some impressive stats from McKenna too such as metres gained, running bounces and rebound 50s which I couldn’t be bothered looking up but I know are impressive.

The list in question was made with projected future output in mind. McKenna has literally been playing this game for 4 years, I would love to revisit this in 2 years time and see where he’s at because his upside is massive.

Negative.

Agree Neal-Bullen is a good player and there isn't a lot between the two. Still think most sides would take McKenna ahead of him especially when you consider his upside.

Agree Neal-Bullen is a good player and there isn't a lot between the two. Still think most sides would take McKenna ahead of him especially when you consider his upside.
I have no problem with the view that McKenna has more upside or may become the better player, but Neal-Bullen has had the better career to date. And that may continue, or may not.

I have no problem with the view that McKenna has more upside or may become the better player, but Neal-Bullen has had the better career to date. And that may continue, or may not.
The better career to date is debatable, both are very close on output to date both excel in different stats mostly because of their different roles, not sure they are the right players to compare against each other.

The better career to date is debatable, both are very close on output to date both excel in different stats mostly because of their different roles, not sure they are the right players to compare against each other.
This is a ranking of players from a particular draft. Most won't be comparable yet players are ranked as they are at draft time.

It's not really debatable that Neal-Bullen has had the better career to date for the reasons I've already quoted. He's the 6th best pressure forward in the AFL in 2018 while kicking nearly 30 goals in a side that won two finals.

This is a ranking of players from a particular draft. Most won't be comparable yet players are ranked as they are at draft time.

It's not really debatable that Neal-Bullen has had the better career to date for the reasons I've already quoted. He's the 6th best pressure forward in the AFL in 2018 while kicking nearly 30 goals in a side that won two finals.

You may want It to be ''not really debatable'' but all it shows is your own limited knowledge of opposition players in the AFL and your extreme bias.

Negative.

One is going to be a premier half back in the comp the other is a slightly better Jarrad Blair. You assume that I didn’t know any of what you said before. Wrong. He’s a trier but in reality he’s a one paced kid with good intensity that’ll carry him until the fire burns out just like Blair.

Last edited:

A forward kicks goals and puts on pressure so yep he plays his role well, McKenna rebounds from defence and uses the ball well and plays his role well.

It’s funny that both players are rated right next to each other when I compare them on the AFL app, funny that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all started to click for Langford in the back half of 2018. Admittedly he still has work to do to be considered a top 10 player out of this draft but if he can get a good preseason under his belt he is a massive breakout candidate for next year.

Langford reminds me of Myers. Both are slow and don’t find it enough as midfielders.

Maybe they will both break out in 2019 but with Shiel coming in they may struggle for midfield minutes.

Langford reminds me of Myers. Both are slow and don’t find it enough as midfielders.

Maybe they will both break out in 2019 but with Shiel coming in they may struggle for midfield minutes.
Langford showed last year that he didnt need to be at stoppages to have an influence, his confidence with ball in hand improved massively and he was on of our better users by foot especially going inside 50, didnt need alot of the ball but averaging about 20 disposals i thought wasnt too bad considering the amount of time he actually got in the middle compared to the likes of Heppell and Smith.

Might be bias but I think Langford will suprise a few this year. His development has been very similar to Jobe's. Not saying he will be as good as Jobe but he is tracking in that direction.

In regards to Myers I think the bird has flown there. He is 30 next year, a handy depth player but that's about it unfortunately.

Don't really see the comparison tbh other than both being tall.

Agree that predictions of Langford riding hi up the redraft list are premature.

Don't really see the comparison tbh other than both being tall.

Agree that predictions of Langford riding hi up the redraft list are premature.
Both averaged 18-19 touches in their 4th year. Myers has increased that to 20 in his 10th. Both good kicks but lack pace. Langford has more chance of making it as a forward flanker than inside mid.

Both averaged 18-19 touches in their 4th year. Myers has increased that to 20 in his 10th. Both good kicks but lack pace. Langford has more chance of making it as a forward flanker than inside mid.

Disagree that Langford lacks pace as he runs a sub 3 second 20m Sprint. He just likes to hang on to the ball too long which leads to him getting caught too often.

Don't really see Myers as a good kick either. He's an average kick who has differentiated himself from others by being able to kick 55 plus meters.

Could be right RE Langford being a HFF but it's hard not to get caught up in his flashes of brilliance as a mid.

This was alot harder than i thought i had to extend it to 25, so this is what i predict for the future not for current output, haven't included any players that where mature age at the time because some of those players are already in their prime. Ive also left out some players that have been injured for alot of their early career since its hard to predict if that injury history will continue.

1. Jordan De Goey - Collingwood
2. Isaac Heeney - Sydney
3. Jake Lever - Melbourne
4. Christian Petracca - Melbourne
5. Harris Andrews - Brisbane
6. Angus Brayshaw - Melbourne
7. Connor Blakely - Fremantle
8. Kyle Langford - Essendon
9. Jack Steele - St Kilda
10. Touk Miller - Gold Coast
11. Toby McLean - Bulldogs
12. Mitch McGovern - Carlton
13. Lachie Weller - Gold Coast
14. Dan Butler - Richmond
15. Bailey Dale - Bulldogs
16. Nakia Cockatoo - Geelong
17. Peter Wright - Gold Coast
18. Conor McKenna - Essendon
19. Dougal Howard - Port Adelaide
20. Caleb Daniel - Bulldogs
21. Jayden Short - Richmond
22. Brayden Maynard - Collingwood
23. Ed Langdon - Fremantle
24. Liam Duggan - West Coast
25. Alex Neal-Bullen - Melbourne
There is absolutely no way Langford is ahead of Steele. If anything Steele's recent form is Langford's absolute ceiling.

Players like:
Short, Maynard, Langdon, Neal-Bullen, Wright, Mclean, Weller, Mcgovern all have their strengths and weaknesses, but are also superior players to Langford.

Langford should be in the 23-30 range from this draft.

There is absolutely no way Langford is ahead of Steele. If anything Steele's recent form is Langford's absolute ceiling.

Players like:
Short, Maynard, Langdon, Neal-Bullen, Wright, Mclean, Weller, Mcgovern all have their strengths and weaknesses, but are also superior players to Langford.

Langford should be in the 23-30 range from this draft.
Strongly disagree on the bolded and again this is down the line not for now.

Negative.

What’s makes him the 6th best. The most tackles inside 50. The most pressure acts. Who is he behind. McKenna is 2nd for running bounces, does that make him the 2nd best rebounding defender??

What’s makes him the 6th best. The most tackles inside 50. The most pressure acts. Who is he behind. McKenna is 2nd for running bounces, does that make him the 2nd best rebounding defender??
No, it makes him the second most prolific defender who runs and bounces.

As for Neal-Bullen ? I don't know all of the metrics, but one suspects they'd include tackling, smothering, harassing, corralling, etc. It no doubt suits our high pressure chaos game.

Melbourne player a territory game with an end goal of trapping the ball inside our F50. They were no.1 for inside F50 in 2018 and no.1 for inside F50 differential. They were also the highest scoring team in 2018 and the only team to average 100 points or more in 2018.

So do you think being an elite pressure forward is somewhat valuable in a top 4 side ?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/le...e/news-story/c634dfec8fc34d0b414c6969c83d64c5

"This year, the South Australian is ranked sixth in the AFL for pressure."

No, it makes him the second most prolific defender who runs and bounces.

As for Neal-Bullen ? I don't know all of the metrics, but one suspects they'd include tackling, smothering, harassing, corralling, etc. It no doubt suits our high pressure chaos game.

Melbourne player a territory game with an end goal of trapping the ball inside our F50. They were no.1 for inside F50 in 2018 and no.1 for inside F50 differential. They were also the highest scoring team in 2018 and the only team to average 100 points or more in 2018.

So do you think being an elite pressure forward is somewhat valuable in a top 4 side ?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/le...e/news-story/c634dfec8fc34d0b414c6969c83d64c5

"This year, the South Australian is ranked sixth in the AFL for pressure."

So pressure acts not exactly a concrete metric.

Might be bias but I think Langford will suprise a few this year. His development has been very similar to Jobe's. Not saying he will be as good as Jobe but he is tracking in that direction.

In regards to Myers I think the bird has flown there. He is 30 next year, a handy depth player but that's about it unfortunately.
Just a heads up, enagaging in a discussion with Bill on anything Essendon is just a precursor to banging your head against a wall. Troll everytime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back