2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure having the two young fellas living with the CEO is a great idea....might be ok for a while, but hopefully then they can go out on their own.

Would be very intimidating (not sure thats the right word) living with the big boss....yes sir, no sir type stuff for them.......not able to be themselves, but do understand wanting to be in a family enviroment etc.

Depends entirely on the person. First thing they did when they got here was head around for a BBQ which looked pretty relaxed. I'd be more impressed that the CEO is taking on that responsibility and willing to do it. Could easily wash his hands and find another family to house them short term. Living with the big boss would be pretty welcoming i would have thought.

I think it's awesome that the CEO opens his door to them. These are kids moving to a new state, new friends, new training routines, new coaches. They've probably never cooked or done their own laundry or dealt with real estate agents or power bills or the like. Plenty on their plate for now.

This way they can get settled, learn the city, figure out who they get on well with, and 3, 6, or 12 months from now, get a place where they want be, with who they want. Swanny won't stop them.

I think their parents would be impressed the CEO isn't just a 9-5 guy, and I suspect Swanny would be a great host with a very nice setup for the lads.

Last edited:

Might also reflect a conscious decision not to load it all on the Lamberts and allow them to focus their welfare efforts on the whole group and not just a couple of lodgers.

While I have some similar misgivings to MacMum, it's about as powerful a message as you can possibly send about the importance of player welfare at every level of the organisation.

While I have some similar misgivings to MacMum, it's about as powerful a message as you can possibly send about the importance of player welfare at every level of the organisation.

Maybe it's also just a temporary arrangement until other things are sorted. We really have no idea either way

I realise that what I wrote could be misconstrued, as I wrote that post while still trying to wake up before work:$

I do agree it is awesome that our CEO has taken them in, a most unusual move I'd have thought, so thumbs up to the Swanns. It will put the boys' families at ease while they settle in....

...where I was coming from with the post was purely from the boys point of view of being very young and being new, and in awe of who they are staying with, which in turn just might hold them back from relaxing and feeling "at home" in their new home of Brisbane.....like normal young lads out on their own living together.

I also am aware of what young lads on their own can get up to too.....so I see fors and againsts the idea.

FWIW I can't fault the club atm, their every move seems to be in the right direction, which is a pretty good feeling after what we have had to put up with for far too long.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

I imagine the players agreed to stay there in consultation with Lambo and their parents.I think their parents in particular would be pretty happy about it.

I realise that what I wrote could be misconstrued, as I wrote that post while still trying to wake up before work:$

I do agree it is awesome that our CEO has taken them in, a most unusual move I'd have thought, so thumbs up to the Swanns. It will put the boys' families at ease while they settle in....

...where I was coming from with the post was purely from the boys point of view of being very young and being new, and in awe of who they are staying with, which in turn just might hold them back from relaxing and feeling "at home" in their new home of Brisbane.....like normal young lads out on their own living together.

I also am aware of what young lads on their own can get up to too.....so I see fors and againsts the idea.

FWIW I can't fault the club atm, their every move seems to be in the right direction, which is a pretty good feeling after what we have had to put up with for far too long.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Imagine if they stayed with Leigh Matthews though! THE Leigh Matthews!

I heard he has a shorts only policy, even in Winter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think staying with the CEO is really just an extension of the "family club" vibe that they are trying to push.

I think it's a good initiative for a short term stay and takes away the fear for a young player about interacting with senior figures at the club.

I think staying with the CEO is really just an extension of the "family club" vibe that they are trying to push.

I think it's a good initiative for a short term stay and takes away the fear for a young player about interacting with senior figures at the club.

That's a good point I think.

Swann seems like a pretty personable guy, and I reckon he'd have dealt with footballers enough to know how to create a comfortable temporary environment for the kids. It can't hurt for the playing group and the management group to be on familiar terms.

Also worth noting that Swanny seemed to be the guy pitching for us to pick up bad-boy Mitch Robinson when most others were pleading for us to stay away (myself included). Would have been safer for his rep to do nothing but he went into bat for Mrobbo.

So to me he doesn't seem to be the preachy, holier-than-thou, watch-your-skin folds-and-curfews type of boss

Post draft..the Aish trade is looking pretty good. Essentially Redden and Aish for Bastinac and Mathieson. Two future picks still in the bank not to mention 20% of the Keays currency. Not too shabby

Post draft..the Aish trade is looking pretty good. Essentially Redden and Aish for Bastinac and Mathieson. Two future picks still in the bank not to mention 20% of the Keays currency. Not too shabby
yeah all things considered we did really well.. Im just of the opinion Reddo will find his form and be the best of the 4 and Aish could really be anything still the little prick.. but if Bastinac plays well it is a win due to Matho who im big on..

yeah all things considered we did really well.. Im just of the opinion Reddo will find his form and be the best of the 4 and Aish could really be anything still the little prick.. but if Bastinac plays well it is a win due to Matho who im big on..

I worked it all out a few pages back, it was basically
Aish + Redden for Bastinac, Hipwood, saints 2016 second rounder, Kangas 2016 Third rounder.

The Aish trade itself was pretty fair, the future second rounder is gold to us, opens up multiple opportunities next year.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Swann can handle a couple of cocky/scared teenagers for a while. Gives them time to choose where they live on their terms instead of taking the first available offer. In the long term this will make their home life a lot more comfortable and help with retention.
Lets face it, for the first few months the increased training load means they will be mostly training, eating and sleeping so where they stay won't really matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back