2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok
Dan (my Daniel) reckons so as well
He was surprised the likes of Greg Clarke missed out ( I don't know anything about him so can't comment)
He also recons next year will be better for WA.
Still, pretty poor for this year.
Correct me, but no rookie drafts either?
A few WA rookies - Bradley Lynch, Jordan Snadden, Kade Stewart and Josh Deluca-Cardillo and a couple of mature agers too.

The WA system has been getting a lot of criticism from the AFL clubs. Just not putting the time into development programs and getting people to actually play the game. An overhaul is definitely required.
Quigs, they don't play them!
Greg Clarke played reserves all year!
What's the point in that!
I also don't think the WA state squad spend enough time together.
The TAC programme is obviously working as the best of the best in VIC are playing against each other week in week out.
The standard of WA colts footy is not improving as each year passes.
I think a lack of funds is a possible symptom.
An injection of funds into development from the AFL so that greater intensified training with the state squads from 15s right through to draft age can only help develop these guys further.

Quigs, they don't play them!
Greg Clarke played reserves all year!
What's the point in that!
I also don't think the WA state squad spend enough time together.
The TAC programme is obviously working as the best of the best in VIC are playing against each other week in week out.
The standard of WA colts footy is not improving as each year passes.
I think a lack of funds is a possible symptom.
An injection of funds into development from the AFL so that greater intensified training with the state squads from 15s right through to draft age can only help develop these guys further.
Well said, the lack of draft eligible kids playing Seniors is particularly noticeable when you compare it to the SANFL. Grassroots footy needs some serious investment.

I'd be very surprised if these guys were being overlooked vice just not at league standard. The WAFL has a great history of playing colts in the league team if they're up to it. Obviously any extra funding for development helps but sometimes the lads just aren't ready.

Well said, the lack of draft eligible kids playing Seniors is particularly noticeable when you compare it to the SANFL. Grassroots footy needs some serious investment.

Also comparable to Academy kids always getting time in the NEAFL. Keays, Hipwood, William, Wagner, all playing against men at 17-18 years old, all drafted onto an AFL list. 6 other Queenslanders were picked this year and I'm sure they were playing regular NEAFL as well.

Regardless of the quality of the competition, playing against Men running at 90-95 kgs through the midfield gets you better prepared for AFL than Colts who are full of 60-75kg rakes.

I've got a feeling Hipwood will end up being a number 1 ruck.
My thoughts as well. I remember Mitch Clark break out season when he was a ruck. Would drop back into defence to take a few intercept marks and I think Hipwood would be ideal to play this role. He has the athleticism and I think he will project to a Ryder build which is reasonable. Don't see him getting into the 100kg mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting there will be an allies team next year.

Maybe the div 2 teams will play each other once and then the allies play the div 1 teams each once.

Interesting there will be an allies team next year.

Maybe the div 2 teams will play each other once and then the allies play the div 1 teams each once.

The Allies Squad will be selected following the completion of Division 2 of the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships in May, joining the Division 1 teams for the June 4 start.

The five teams will play four matches each during June and July in 2016, playing each team once, a change from recent years where the Division 1 sides played each other twice.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...sID=69677&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=37166405

Living in Melbourne I rely largely in highlights and dodgy replays to see our NEAFL and Academy players.... But William's highlight look fantastic.... He looks fast and well built already.... Exactly what we need..... Watch out Cutler....

acuguy should jump at the chance to fill that role.
also who do you think will be the first academy player to come back to the lions due to the go home factor?

Hopefully we breed and train them a bit tougher up here!

acuguy should jump at the chance to fill that role.
also who do you think will be the first academy player to come back to the lions due to the go home factor?

Not confident on anyone coming back... when ever a club passes on a player they can never be confident they will return. If I was a player id be like "You had your chance". Like how Saints supporters cried when Matho went to the lions after they had past on him at 18, but then go "we will just get him in 2 years". Wait and see. Would be nice and funny if the academy boys demanded a trade back in 2 years though just for a bit of revenge for all the poaching attempts over the years from footy states

I will be turning my attention to the academy players next year and beyond

Last edited:
Not confident on anyone coming back... when ever a club passes on a player they can never be confident they will return. If I was a player id be like "You hard your chance". Like how Saints supporters cried when Matho went to the lions after they had past on him at 18, but then go "we will just get him in 2 years". Wait and see. Would be nice and funny if the academy boys demanded a trade back in 2 years though just for a bit of revenge for all the poaching attempts over the years from footy states

I will be turning my attention to the academy players next year and beyond

There is also the 'How will we keep them down on the farm now that they've seen Paree' factor...

After taking a few days to think about our draft I think what I like the most is that we didn't try to be too clever. We took the players we knew and when there was an obvious slider we took were flexible enough to take advantage rather than having blinkers on.

I think the fact we have invested so heavily in KPPs over the last few years makes the Skinner pick easier to make as we have plenty of other highly speculative picks to work out while he rehabs. Really happy with our draft team right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back