2015 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the NRL go by this same procedure by making higher ranked teams have a tougher draw? what happens if we dropped most games and missed the 8 (won't happen of course) and lower ranked teams make the 8 because they had such a soft draw? to me AFL equalisation is just stupid.

I don't know what there procedure is but having 16 teams and playing 24 games means they can spread things out more evenly as there are 9 double up games.

But Brisbane gets a very biased Friday night game draw. They did before 2 Friday night games was introduced (which was introduced in 2007 when GC Titans joined to make it 16 teams again) and even more now. Of their 24 games in 2014 they had 16 on Friday nights, 1 on a Thursday night and 7 in other slots. Their first 10 games - home and away - were on Friday nights.

Its all driven by Ch 9 in the Packer days owning Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne Channel 9. Last year or early this year the owners added the stations in Perth and Adelaide to the network. [Think they bought them off WIN group]

Do teams actually do heavy training loads during the season any longer since these sports science guys have taken over? I know Hinkley was asked that question this year and he said it was bullshit but I often wonder if the program is changed at all due to players getting injured and having niggling injuries, it is probably more logical that teams have more lighter weeks mid way through the season for player management reasons and that could impact how switched on clubs are.

We had huge issues this year, we had a lot of 6 day breaks this year and we had light training in those weeks and we often came out lethargic the following week. Curious, would be interesting to see if clubs open up a bit on the type of training they do.
It was kept in house & denied until Hartlett spilled the beans in a an interview before the finals, certainly still happens.

I don't know what there procedure is but having 16 teams and playing 24 games means they can spread things out more evenly as there are 9 double up games.

But Brisbane gets a very biased Friday night game draw. They did before 2 Friday night games was introduced (which was introduced in 2007 when GC Titans joined to make it 16 teams again) and even more now. Of their 24 games in 2014 they had 16 on Friday nights, 1 on a Thursday night and 7 in other slots. Their first 10 games - home and away - were on Friday nights.

Its all driven by Ch 9 in the Packer days owning Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne Channel 9. Last year or early this year the owners added the stations in Perth and Adelaide to the network. [Think they bought them off WIN group]
we dropped games against very average teams this year (nearly lost to melbourne twice) yet we are being punished like we are unbeatable lol? if we lose our first few games against these top sides it's pretty much playing catch up with everyone else, our goal is top 2 next year but * me it's going to be a challenge for our boys. (Hawks got it hard last year but they never leave Victoria)

17d574c4a623858b5bdb974339b1bc338e4f5e9aed51a3e93cbca17b88299925.jpg

The hardness of the draw only matters when you're trying to scrape into the eight. We're here to win the thing, and we'll do that by getting valuable opportunities to gain points over Sydney and Hawthorn by playing them twice.

Look at our start to the season:

Freo - If we are genuine contenders, we need to beat them. With Freo's age profile, we need to be past them this year, and they could end up being 4th to 8th material. Loseable game based on the venue, but a winnable game based on changing lists.

Sydney - What better way to get them than early on, at home. Sydney started slow last year, but finished hard. Perfect opportunity to gain 4 points on them.

North - Must beat. I'm so sick of watching us play like crap to North every year.

Hawthorn - Ripper game, and a sold out Adelaide Oval behind the boys from the start. We should have beaten them last year at the G and the hunger should drive with us this game.

Adelaide - Showdown's are generally 50/50 games, and this certainly looms as a danger game.

A challenging stretch, by all means. But our reward for it is our fixture opening up until the bye. Then we catch Sydney with us rested coming off the bye, and them on a six day break. If we have to travel to the SCG and play them, it's the perfect preparation. I love the draw. My only complaint is that yet again, we have no games in Toronto. :p

It was kept in house & denied until Hartlett spilled the beans in a an interview before the finals, certainly still happens.

Cam Mooney was asked about Port's mid season training load and said it could be a factor(re results).
In his playing days for Geelong they approached it by dividing the 30 odd core playing group
into 3 groups of 10 who's increased workload was staggered so as to avoid a slump. A slump that cost us
a top 4 finish? Won't happen next year surely. Injuries to Trengove and Carlisle didn't help.
I remember Burgo saying he thought he could get up to 30% more out of the players. It would surprise me
if it happens(a slump) next year from training overload.

I think we will win our first 5 games.
Freo = will be close
Hawks = our first home game for the season - Crowd will be going nutters
North = about time we flogged them
Sydney = at home - ? Probable win
Crows = a win

just flicked through the draw..... strewth if you dont like watching carlton or richmond you wont like friday night footy. what a joke, two pathetic clubs that play crap footy yet they get 70% of the friday night games, farce.

But they are massive clubs and have earned the big stage o_O

I love that run home! AFC 1997-esque!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough and challenging is how I see it.....but I welcome it

If we are going to be a Premiership contender in 2015 we have to believe we can win those first 5 games and all the others

I bet sides like Sydney and Hawthorn look at the draw and just see winable games...nothing else

Go back to 2012 and the AFL would have been scratching their heads wondering which crap games they could give us to minimize the embarrassment of the Tarps and the poor attendances....now they are confident in giving us blockbusters and the only problem will be fitting everybody in

Can't wait

AFL pay zero attention to runs, we had a bried respite for a year or two but generally always play Geelong in Geelong every year, Fremantle is a team we rarely ever get at home unless we play them twice, next year we play them twice.

You would have thought that they could flp it so we played Crows here and Port at AO. We quite often play the Crows in SA when we only play once.
Well I for one hope you have a win in round 1 and a loss in round 3 :)

Last few years we start strong and then mid year we crash and then around finals we play well again. If Essendon has met us mid season then that is perhaps why we can't beat them.
I'm hopeful that, with an even tougher pre season under their belts, that mid season slump won't happen in 2015. And with a bit of luck, Trengove and Carlile will stay sound for the entire season!!!!

Does anyone know if there is there any financial disadvantage for teams that travel more? ie: does each team have to foot the bill for all their own travel or is there some sort of averaged / shared cost?

Does anyone know if there is there any financial disadvantage for teams that travel more? ie: does each team have to foot the bill for all their own travel or is there some sort of averaged / shared cost?

I would've assumed transport costs were taken care of by the AFL's Virgin sponsorship. Not sure about accommodation.

Couldn't get a soft fixture during our sh!te years (I recall no double up games against bottom 4 sides in one season) but as soon as we look like being half decent.... BANG

I think it should be looked at as a positive to play the top teams twice for several reasons, it raises the standards when playing tough matches, and if good enough we can take points from those up at the top end of the ladder and this gives us a better chance to finish top 2 and secure home finals.

Always look on the bright side of life !

I would've assumed transport costs were taken care of by the AFL's Virgin sponsorship. Not sure about accommodation.

That might cover the flights, but there are a lot of additional expenses associated with travelling, meals, accommodation etc Just haven't ever really seen this discussed, but could potentially put a big strain on clubs that aren't as financial, eg Port in 2011 / 2012 etc

Did some digging and apparently the AFL has set up this. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-25/afl-signs-hotel-partner

I know many don't like tiger air but for those that do there might be a bargain tonight for 2015 travel

On twitter from Flight Centre ...

Happy Halloween! To celebrate, TigerAir are releasing $13 fares from 8pm-midnight.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back