Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Yah Oliver not having a great start to the year, disposal isn’t as sharp as it should be. Having said that, coming off a dual shoulder reco and has had 29 disposals in 5/6 games so far. He’s not playing elite footy this year, but I can’t imagine he’ll be caught any time soon unless Gresham starts kicking goals regularly from midfield. For all the talk of a forward who is becoming a great mid - which he is - he’s only kicked 5 goals so far.
For all intents and purposes, Oliver is still the best player from this draft imho. Should build nicely to what we know he's capable of. Others are closing but his first 2 years were phenomenal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I wont be including Carlton plays as I am obviously biased towards them.

1. Oliver: Clear standout, not much needs to be said

2. Gresham: A type of player all supporters would love to have at their club, exciting small forward who can really effectively push through the midfield (although based on this season it might be more correct to call him a midfielder who can play small forward), really effective player who rarely wastes disposals. My favorite aspect of his is how clean he is with ground ball gets, really turns 50/50 possession into a win for his team. Main criticism is despite being a decent-to-good pressure player, id like to see him tackle more and force a stoppage .

3. Hipwood: I think its fairly obvious that Hipwood will become a top key-forward, you just have to look how he is tracking against todays best at the same age to see it, superb mobility for his size and consistently hits the scoreboard. Also his goal kicking has been much improved this year imo. Knock would be that while he is a great mark on the lead, id like to see him get another 1-2 contested marks a game, either inside 50, or down the wings.

4. Milera: I really rate this bloke, looks very classy with ball in hand and provides great run, his defense is underrated if you ask me too, with him rarely being beaten one-on-one and getting more than his fair share of tackles every week, I was really devastated to see him go down last week as he was really building. While he has shown the ability to be a great kick, and I commend the endeavor with his kicking, I would like to see him use the easier option as he too often tries the difficult kick, but it doesn't always pay off.

5. Hopper: Had a really strong 2018 season in a midfield where it is quite hard to stand out in, hes a great stoppage player who has shown a natural ability to win the ball at the coalface and then rarely waste it. He's improved his kicking a lot this year which has served him well in becoming much more damaging, with much improved inside 50 and score involvement numbers as a result. While his contested numbers are great, I think the next step he can take which will really make him elite would be providing more spread and getting some uncontested marks which will give him more opportunity to really hurt the opposition with his kicking, although this will be hard in a Giants team who have many other players doing this.

6. Mills: This is a funny one as you could definitely see him either being a top-3ish player from this draft, or an unfulfilled talent who wont crack the top 20. Mills' talent is obvious and looked an absolute monty to become one of the drafts best midfielders yet he just hasn't made that jump. He is a good HBF but I dont think Sydney drafted him with the intention for him to play out his career in that position. I think it might be best for both parties to move him on at the end of the season if he isn't played on-ball.

7. Burton: Has looked very good in his new colours this year. Hes a consistent and reliable player who's always efficient with his ball-use, and great off both feet as well as being a great size for the modern game with plenty of athleticism to go with it. Hes always liable for a big game now and again and as he gets more experienced I think those big games will become more common. Hes always been a good intercept mark and his one-on-one defence has improved since moving to port, but I still think it leaves a little to be desired, and I'd like to see him be a little more careful around the goals as I can think of a few times where he has unnecessarily given away free kicks that have lead to goals this year. Overall I think hes one who Hawthorn will regret letting go.

8. Rioli: There's really not that much to say about Rioli as his pressure has been talked about so much. Richmond's forward line clearly suffers so much when he isn't there because of his one-percenters. Just needs to find more of the ball of the ball, and pressure forwards like him need to be more clinical in front of goals than he has been.

9. Tom Phillips: A little bit older than the most of those drafted in 2015, his running ability speaks for itself and lets him accumulate on the outside. Has been a bit down on form this year compared to last,mainly his kicking, but has still been good. His flaws are obvious, he doesn't tackle enough and he doesn't win enough of his own ball, but his running more than makes up for it and allows his to get clear from his opponent and mark the ball all over the park, which perfectly suits Collingwoods game style. He has been a great pick-up for the pies and is my pick for steal of the draft.

10. Doedee: Another young Crows defender unfairly struck down by injury. One of the best intercept marks in the competition if you ask me, who uses it very well once its in his hands, although I'd like to see him back his kicking a bit more, a little too handball-happy. He is very clean with the ball on the deck and rarely gets beaten by his opponent. Major knock obviously his injury which was a massive shame.
no issue sliding Curnow in there. he's shown it. Would have him ahead of Rioli and Doedee

Decent top 10 though.

barberbarbarian

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I'm cooling on Mills, I don't think he's that good, not top 10 if I did it now
Being played out of position doesn't help. They've lost Hannebery, Jack is well and truly cooked, Kennedy slowing too. He should be straight in the middle, not floating around as a half back.

Jell

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2007
Bacchus Marsh
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Like I'm not gonna lie, I think Petrevski-Seton is going to be a very good player. If O'Meara nominated us I have little dout we would have traded 1 for O'Meara and 4, bid on Setterfield and hopefully then taking him. I'm an unabashed fan. But to say McGrath is tracking to be an average player is plainly incorrect. He wasn't fantastic today but he'd be comfortably in our top 10 for our BnF right now.
I get a bit of a Bryce Gibbs vibe about McGrath. Bryce was consistently in our top 10 in the b+f, in fact I think there was only one year in him time at Carlton where he wasn't in there. He was a good consistent player, but didn't end up being best in his draft, and was never the A++ you want from a #1 pick. I think any team would be happy to have McGrath on their list, but I think he's going to be very good rather than exceptional.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Being played out of position doesn't help. They've lost Hannebery, Jack is well and truly cooked, Kennedy slowing too. He should be straight in the middle, not floating around as a half back.
There's probably a reason for that...maybe Mills isn't even that good as a midfielder.

He's definitely not in the top 10 of this draft at this stage...doesn't really stand out as a star, only a solid role player so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Brayden Fiorini has been ultra consistent and putting up big numbers this year to date. Would sincerely think he'd be in the top 3 midfielders from this draft so far.
Finds the ball a lot. Seems a natural at it.

Judging the mids solely, Oliver is a clear number 1 with Fiorini, Hopper & Gresh battling for the next few spots.

Dons would hope Parish can cement a spot and hit a patch of form that puts him in that calculation too. Surprised we never bid on Hopper @ 4 to foroce the issue with GWS and gamble them not matching. Had two picks in hand to play with.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Schache and Keays big whiffs, thank god for Hipwood. While he is still inconsistent when he is on he is a match winner.
Iirc there was a lot of hype around Keays in his draft year. Was this misplaced?

Tom14

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Iirc there was a lot of hype around Keays in his draft year. Was this misplaced?
I don't know that it was misplaced per se, he just hasn't come on. He was a high volume possession winner in juniors from memory and hasn't really show that when he has played senior football.

He's playing well in a small forward role in our NEAFL team (equal leader in the NEAFL MVP) but can't get ahead of Charlie Cameron, Linc McCarthy or Rayner atm. I suspect he'll be delisted at the end of the year.

Worth remembering that with the bidding rules that year he and Hipwood only cost a couple of picks in the 40s, so him not working out as a second round pick isn't as bad as it looks.

BigFrizz36

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if true but someone mentioned that for the first time all five carlton 2015 draftees;
Weitering
H. Mckay
C. Curnow
Cuningham
J. Silvagni
Are all playing in the same team today. Wouldn't happen too many times you would think.

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure if true but someone mentioned that for the first time all five carlton 2015 draftees;
Weitering
H. Mckay
C. Curnow
Cuningham
J. Silvagni
Are all playing in the same team today. Wouldn't happen too many times you would think.
Not as good of a strike rate as Carlton but Essendon had the 5 of Francis, Parish ,Redman, Brown and Tippa play against North.

Tulip

Hall of Famer
May 3, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham
Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Stretch and McDonald were all taken in 2014 and played yesterday

Checkered

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dockers & Eagles
Ah so no one wants to talk about Curnow struggling to get a kick and struggling even harder to get a goal. Meanwhile Hipwood is starting to clunk contested marks and keeps on ticking over at nearly two goals a game despite being wildly inaccurate. Really should have half a dozen more goals over the season.

No takers?

Virgin Dog

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ah so no one wants to talk about Curnow struggling to get a kick and struggling even harder to get a goal. Meanwhile Hipwood is starting to clunk contested marks and keeps on ticking over at nearly two goals a game despite being wildly inaccurate. Really should have half a dozen more goals over the season.

No takers?
You already bumped the post yesterday jerking over Hipwood, was that not enough?

Here, I've responded, is that enough?

Orasia Fantazio

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

No takers?
I'm all for calling out a bit of Carlton delusion but to be fair I think most followers of the AFL would've rated Curnow over Hipwood at the start of this year.

Checkered

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dockers & Eagles
You already bumped the post yesterday jerking over Hipwood, was that not enough?

Here, I've responded, is that enough?
It wasnt enough no because I'm still baffled where everyone went, friend. There were heaps of them just a few months ago saying these things and now they've just disappeared.

Maybe they forgot their passwords?

I'm all for calling out a bit of Carlton delusion but to be fair I think most followers of the AFL would've rated Curnow over Hipwood at the start of this year.
Yeah which is fine. I'm not talking about them though, I'm talking about those saying he was significantly better. There were a few of them up and about in here too let me tell ya.

Wild Bill

Brownlow Medallist
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It wasnt enough no because I'm still baffled where everyone went, friend. There were heaps of them just a few months ago saying these things and now they've just disappeared.

Yeah which is fine. I'm not talking about them though, I'm talking about those saying he was significantly better. There were a few of them up and about in here too let me tell ya.
Charlie through injury and form hasn't had a great start to the year but not sure this debate is done and dusted.

Their stats are simlar but Hipwood has kicked a lot more goals - which end of the day 1 is playing in a top 4 team and 1 is playing in the worst team in the comp.

I know which midfield I would like kicking the ball to me. Just give it more time before claiming the victory.

Virgin Dog

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I mean, rewind to last year and Curnow really was clearly better. Without the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure 95% of people would have said Curnow > Hipwood. Based on this year's output, Hipwood is clearly the better player, but it wasn't so apparent last year

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

No takers?
While CC hasn't had a good year, the reality is that Hipwood is getting less of the ball this year compared to last despite being in a much better side. Not sure I would gloating at this stage. Has shown no real improvement.

Top Bottom