2016 Hottest 100

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been that way for, well probably forever .

I think they could play better Aussie music. but they tend to hop onto stuff which is derivative of overseas trends that are popular at that time.

Good stuff still gets played obviously, but they have always been too into soundalike bands which in hindsight always seem stupid to how they got so popular in the first place.

It seems to be getting alot worse lately though. Here's the Aussie representation over the past 5 countdowns...

2011: 44 songs
2012: 41 songs
2013: 44 songs
2014: 59 songs (the most Aussie songs in the Hottest 100 ever)
2015: 54 songs

You can see the huge jump from 2013 to 2014 and that is when I really noticed the quality drop. 2013 was a great year with plenty of good tracks from the likes of Arctic Monkeys, Daft Punk, James Blake, Arcade Fire, London Grammar, Queens Of The Stone Age, Vampire Weekend, Chvrches, Kanye West, Disclosure, Lorde, The National etc. making the countdown. Most of these artists didn't just get a single token track in either, but 2-4 songs in some cases.

2014 on the other hand delivered us 3 TRACKS EACH from all of Hilltop Hoods, Vance Joy, Ball Park Music, Sticky Fingers, Thundamentals, The Amity Affliction & Meg Mac :drunk: OVER much better tracks from The War On Drugs, Run The Jewels, Jamie xx, St. Vincent, Todd Terje, Mac DeMarco, Vic Mensa, Phantogram, Aphex Twin & Flying Lotus to name just a few that missed out.

this is an interesting prediction system...

https://nickwhyte.com/100-warm-tunas-2016/

I can only hope this 'Warmest 100' prediction is off the mark. If this is accurate, could this year be a contender for the worst Hottest 100 ever?

Yes everyone always says this, but at the time of me viewing this prediction (it updates daily, with only 5 days of voting left) there is NOTHING from A Tribe Called Quest, Bon Iver, Solange, Radiohead (um what? :huh:) Run The Jewels, James Blake, Danny Brown or Anderson .Paak. There is also only 1 track from Kanye West, Frank Ocean & Chance The Rapper who all released iconic and culturally defining albums this year.

Come on JJJ listeners, get your **** together! :eek:

Last edited:

After looking at counts from the '100 Warm Tunas' and LOOFrundry on twitter, I thought I'd make a top 30 prediction.

1. Flume - Never Be Like You Ft. Kai
2. Amy Shark - Adore
3. Tash Sultana - Jungle
4. DMA's - Believe (Like A Version)
5. Hilltop Hoods - 1955 Ft. Montaigne & Tom Thum
6. Childish Gambino - Redbone
7. Illy - Papercuts Ft. Vera Blue
8. Violent Soho - Viceroy
9. Flume - Say It Ft. Tove Lo
10. The Weeknd - Starboy
11. Peking Duk - Strangers Ft Elliphant
12. Big Scary - The Opposite of Us
13. Mura Masa - Love$ick Ft. A$AP Rocky
14. Miike Snow - Genghis Khan
15. Pnau - Chameleon
16. Milky Chance - Cocoon
17. the xx - On Hold
18. Chance The Rapper - All Night Ft Knox Fortune (Kaytranada Extended Joint)
19. Catfish and The Bottlemen - 7
20. Client Liaison - World of Our Love
21. Kanye West - Ultralight Beam Ft Chance The Rapper
22. A.B Original - January 26 Ft Dan Sultan
23. The Smith Street Band - Death to The Lads
24. Cub Sport - Come On Mess Me Up
25. Dune Rats - Bullshit
26. Gretta Ray - Drive
27. Violent Soho - Blanket
28. Sticky Fingers - Sad Songs
29.RUFUS - Innerbloom (What So Not Remix)
30. Montaigne - Because I Love You

Yes everyone always says this, but at the time of me viewing this prediction (it updates daily, with only 5 days of voting left) there is NOTHING from A Tribe Called Quest, Bon Iver, Solange, Radiohead (um what? :huh:) Run The Jewels, James Blake, Danny Brown or Anderson .Paak. There is also only 1 track from Kanye West, Frank Ocean & Chance The Rapper who all released iconic and culturally defining albums this year.

All victims of having great albums without standout singles. It's no surprise to me.

What the hell is Know Better by Spit Syndicate and what is it doing at #4 on that site? I don't think I'd even seen it in the 100 before the other day. Am I missing something?

What the hell is Know Better by Spit Syndicate and what is it doing at #4 on that site? I don't think I'd even seen it in the 100 before the other day. Am I missing something?
Very dull Australian hip hop song. Fun enough, but it makes the hilltop hoods look challenging

Last time I saw his count, it was around 20th or so. Theres definitely something that's off, because no song rises that suddenly.

The Warm Tunas site is automated, picking up it's votes from Instagram. Last Night somebody spammed instagram with about 50 votes all of which were 10 votes for Spit Syndicate. The Loofrundry twitter guy does his manually and noticed the spamming and skipped them all.

spit.gif

Last edited:
The Warm Tunas site is automated, picking up it's votes from Instagram. Last Night somebody spammed instagram with about 50 votes all of which were 10 votes for Spit Syndicate. The Loofrundry twitter guy does his manually and noticed the spamming and skipped them all.

View attachment 328374
Looks like Warm Tunas has picked up the error and Spit Syndicate are no where to be seen again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After looking at counts from the '100 Warm Tunas' and LOOFrundry on twitter, I thought I'd make a top 30 prediction.

1. Flume - Never Be Like You Ft. Kai
2. Amy Shark - Adore
3. Tash Sultana - Jungle
4. DMA's - Believe (Like A Version)
5. Hilltop Hoods - 1955 Ft. Montaigne & Tom Thum
6. Childish Gambino - Redbone
7. Illy - Papercuts Ft. Vera Blue
8. Violent Soho - Viceroy
9. Flume - Say It Ft. Tove Lo
10. The Weeknd - Starboy
11. Peking Duk - Strangers Ft Elliphant
12. Big Scary - The Opposite of Us
13. Mura Masa - Love$ick Ft. A$AP Rocky
14. Miike Snow - Genghis Khan
15. Pnau - Chameleon
16. Milky Chance - Cocoon
17. the xx - On Hold
18. Chance The Rapper - All Night Ft Knox Fortune (Kaytranada Extended Joint)
19. Catfish and The Bottlemen - 7
20. Client Liaison - World of Our Love
21. Kanye West - Ultralight Beam Ft Chance The Rapper
22. A.B Original - January 26 Ft Dan Sultan
23. The Smith Street Band - Death to The Lads
24. Cub Sport - Come On Mess Me Up
25. Dune Rats - Bullshit
26. Gretta Ray - Drive
27. Violent Soho - Blanket
28. Sticky Fingers - Sad Songs
29.RUFUS - Innerbloom (What So Not Remix)
30. Montaigne - Because I Love You
Decent list. My opinions:

Need to drop some places- DMA's LaV, Mura Masa, Genghis Khan, Come on Mess Me Up, cocoon

Need to raise some places - Papercuts, Stranger, ultralight Beam, the opposite of us,

It seems to be getting alot worse lately though. Here's the Aussie representation over the past 5 countdowns...

2011: 44 songs
2012: 41 songs
2013: 44 songs
2014: 59 songs (the most Aussie songs in the Hottest 100 ever)
2015: 54 songs

You can see the huge jump from 2013 to 2014 and that is when I really noticed the quality drop. 2013 was a great year with plenty of good tracks from the likes of Arctic Monkeys, Daft Punk, James Blake, Arcade Fire, London Grammar, Queens Of The Stone Age, Vampire Weekend, Chvrches, Kanye West, Disclosure, Lorde, The National etc. making the countdown. Most of these artists didn't just get a single token track in either, but 2-4 songs in some cases.

2014 on the other hand delivered us 3 TRACKS EACH from all of Hilltop Hoods, Vance Joy, Ball Park Music, Sticky Fingers, Thundamentals, The Amity Affliction & Meg Mac :drunk: OVER much better tracks from The War On Drugs, Run The Jewels, Jamie xx, St. Vincent, Todd Terje, Mac DeMarco, Vic Mensa, Phantogram, Aphex Twin & Flying Lotus to name just a few that missed out.

I can only hope this 'Warmest 100' prediction is off the mark. If this is accurate, could this year be a contender for the worst Hottest 100 ever?

In some ways, I agree. I like the idea of their being plenty of Australian music on there as a means of promoting Australian music. It's not like Drake, The Weeknd or Radiohead need the plug anyway. But as has been pointed out, much of the Australian music that makes the count is boring, derivative music that shouldn't be anywhere near a list that is meant to contain the best 100 songs of the previous year. There is plenty of good Australian music out there, but for some reason Triple J is still obsessed with playing Hilltop Hoods, Flume, Illy and last year, The Rubens, to death.

Agreed. A few of my friends like them a lot and wanted to go see their gig a few months ago. So so bland and boring

After having seen all 3 live, The Smith Street Band and Luca Brasi are much better. Dope Calypso and In The Aisle are cracking tunes though, so I will give Violent Soho that.

They're not likely to go down in history, but they are a perfectly good band. Jinja Safari and Jezabels also produced great albums this year, Empire of the Sun are reliable. There's plenty to like unless you're looking for reasons not to like Australian music.

Seeing Illy in the predicted top 10 is disturbing. Wasn't looking for that either

There's plenty to like unless you're looking for reasons not to like Australian music.

I don't think many would disagree there. I think the argument is more so Triple J don't play as much good Australian music as they should.

I don't think many would disagree there. I think the argument is more so Triple J don't play as much good Australian music as they should.
I think Triple J do their best, but they still have a market to appeal to, they obviously do research on what people want to hear. They also try to be many different things to many different people, which I think just makes it seem inconsistent. When you can go from Illy to the Amity Affliction to the Jezabels to Dustin Tebbutt in the space of an hour, you're going to annoy people. I just recognise that not everything is for me; fortunately there's generally enough there. Otherwise, there's smaller stations, there's Spotify etc.

Agreed. A few of my friends like them a lot and wanted to go see their gig a few months ago. So so bland and boring

They have a dedicated fanbase who vote en masse in the Hottest 100. Same with Amity Affliction. That's why those two bands will be over-represented in the countdown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back