2016 QFA NORTH

Remove this Banner Ad

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not disagreeing with that guys but in this respect the rule I quoted does apply. Hasn't got anything to do with an interchange infringement - interchange infringements are fairly B&W now in most comps I would suggest. Thats why the rule is related to "head counts". I think the umps could have done exactly this in terms of noting time of play and record it and then go forward with the game. 15sec in and a head count?? Reckon that's bad form - yell out to opposition box, tell them to drag someone off the ground, whatever. The state of the game hasn't been impacted. Bit of commonsense goes a long way imo at this level.
Unbelievable that Caloundra did not have an I/change steward - agree. only themselves to blame in this respect but really I think you will find that the score is removed is basically for situations where a major length of time has been.

Damo - maybe a lot of people remember a certain Colts team playing an entire year with a couple of over age players back in 2014 as well and instead of being disqualified from the comp at finals time preceded to the GF... Seems like some rules are flexible and some aren't??

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Not disagreeing with that guys but in this respect the rule I quoted does apply. Hasn't got anything to do with an interchange infringement - interchange infringements are fairly B&W now in most comps I would suggest. Thats why the rule is related to "head counts". I think the umps could have done exactly this in terms of noting time of play and record it and then go forward with the game. 15sec in and a head count?? Reckon that's bad form - yell out to opposition box, tell them to drag someone off the ground, whatever. The state of the game hasn't been impacted. Bit of commonsense goes a long way imo at this level.
Unbelievable that Caloundra did not have an I/change steward - agree. only themselves to blame in this respect but really I think you will find that the score is removed is basically for situations where a major length of time has been.

Damo - maybe a lot of people remember a certain Colts team playing an entire year with a couple of over age players back in 2014 as well and instead of being disqualified from the comp at finals time preceded to the GF... Seems like some rules are flexible and some aren't??
That has nothing to do with this. Totally different circumstances. Plus that was Brisbane juniors fault. The club and the player were also heavily penalised for it

BigE

All Australian
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon

smy1305. No one at Aspley asked for the scores to be removed!!! head count was done, then everyone realised Caloundra had 19 players on the ground. Umpires then decided to remove scores. I can assure you the direction from Aspley coaching staff was to play the game as per normal (the current scores before being wiped). To be honest, its a bit tough to swallow, people on here having a go at Aspley and saying we were in the wrong and taking advantage. thats absolute rubbish and ill-informed, but who would expect anything less from some of the people on this site.
Who knows what affect the "chaos" and some very upset Caloundra officials had on both teams from that point on. I counted 3 Caloundra officials on the playing arena during the whole debacle and a Caloundra player had to put himself between the president and the umpire. I know footy is an emotional game, but on reflection was not a good look for footy.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
smy1305. No one at Aspley asked for the scores to be removed!!! head count was done, then everyone realised Caloundra had 19 players on the ground. Umpires then decided to remove scores. I can assure you the direction from Aspley coaching staff was to play the game as per normal (the current scores before being wiped). To be honest, its a bit tough to swallow, people on here having a go at Aspley and saying we were in the wrong and taking advantage. thats absolute rubbish and ill-informed, but who would expect anything less from some of the people on this site.
Who knows what affect the "chaos" and some very upset Caloundra officials had on both teams from that point on. I counted 3 Caloundra officials on the playing arena during the whole debacle and a Caloundra player had to put himself between the president and the umpire. I know footy is an emotional game, but on reflection was not a good look for footy.
i remember a dad of a coach doing the same thing in a grand final a few years back

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yep fair enough, wasn't actually stated that but I can't imagine for a second your coach wanting to win that way either. Sounds like a mess for sure and not defending Caloundra for a minute but a disappointing day for footy in what sounded like a ripper game (and still was fortunately). No I/change steward... get what you get I suppose.

Damo - heavily penalised?? Bris juniors fault? - fastest handball Ive seen there. The biggest penalty would have been to take points away for every game the kid played in - but it didn't happen.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep fair enough, wasn't actually stated that but I can't imagine for a second your coach wanting to win that way either. Sounds like a mess for sure and not defending Caloundra for a minute but a disappointing day for footy in what sounded like a ripper game (and still was fortunately). No I/change steward... get what you get I suppose.

Damo - heavily penalised?? Bris juniors fault? - fastest handball Ive seen there. The biggest penalty would have been to take points away for every game the kid played in - but it didn't happen.
Do you even know what happened with that situation and how it panned out

BigE

All Australian
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon

suggestions from people of Aspley taking the hardline. Captain said to umpire, i think they have too many on the ground. umpires took over from there. not sure what else he could have done, who knows the extra player may have played the last 10 mins of the 3rd qtr as well.
What we can't measure which is unfortunate is how it affected both sides post "debacle"
Yes it was a great contest and i believe both sides have improved on last year, lets hope they can bridge the gap between the top 3 sides

Bud63

MVP
May 7, 2015
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The rule you quoted Smy was from the Competition Management Rules and Regulations. Within that Section 3 is titled Match Days, 3.1 ...
3.1 Laws of the Game
Matches shall be played in accordance with the current Laws of Australian Football as determined by the Australian Football League.
I previously posted what the 2016 Laws of the Game rule is in relation to a team having more than 18 players on the field.
and
3.11 Interchange operation.... which outlines the role of the steward and how the interchange works. And its very much to do with interchange infringements. The only thing it says about head counts is that the steward should assist the umpires if requested, that's all.

We don't have two sets of Laws of the Game for AFL football in this country, I can assure you.

Dinga_19

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Chris Davis was the guy that was contacted at Aflq for those playing at home and im not sure a quick phone call to anyone is grounds to over rule the on field umpires in charge of the game and it certainly isn't grounds to enter the field of play and talk to/abuse the umpires.

We still haven't heard what the result is? What were they doing all day? I would thought it would be as simple as reading the 2016 rules of the game..

Dinga_19

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Chris Davis was the guy that was contacted at Aflq for those playing at home and im not sure a quick phone call to anyone is grounds to over rule the on field umpires in charge of the game and it certainly isn't grounds to enter the field of play and talk to/abuse the umpires.

We still haven't heard what the result is? What were they doing all day? I would thought it would be as simple as reading the 2016 rules of the game..

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The rule you quoted Smy was from the Competition Management Rules and Regulations. Within that Section 3 is titled Match Days, 3.1 ...
3.1 Laws of the Game
Matches shall be played in accordance with the current Laws of Australian Football as determined by the Australian Football League.
I previously posted what the 2016 Laws of the Game rule is in relation to a team having more than 18 players on the field.
and
3.11 Interchange operation.... which outlines the role of the steward and how the interchange works. And its very much to do with interchange infringements. The only thing it says about head counts is that the steward should assist the umpires if requested, that's all.

We don't have two sets of Laws of the Game for AFL football in this country, I can assure you.

Really?? Im not sure you are across the fact that some leagues (in fact many) do not play every single rule adopted by the AFL. An obvious example is the order off rule which is reasonably different for many different leagues in terms of time etc. And there are major leagues in Vic that dont play 50m penalties, but have shortened it to 25m bc of the length of the grounds.

I was only asking Big E if Aspley had taken a hard line bc i find it unbelievable that for a 15sec period of 1 extra player and no score was made that this whole farce played out. Like I said earlier commonsense should have prevailed in the decision making that both sides would have been okay with and I will stand by the fact that the laws of the game are really only guidelines for competitions and in the end the competition managers decide which game laws they want to apply or not.
As an example this is taken straight from the EFL web site:

Players Exceeding Permitted Number

Where a Team has more than the permitted number of players on the Playing Surface, the following shall apply: A field umpire shall award a Free Kick to the captain or acting captain of the opposing team, which shall be taken on the goal line of their attacking goal square. A report indicating a head count has been taken shall be given to the EFL by the controlling umpires with the match day paperwork.

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Screenshot_2016-04-11-21-34-21.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is a clear disconnect between the umpiring department and AFLQ officials if the umpire just ignored the direction of an AFLQ official and decided to go with his own interpretation.

Surely the AFLQ employees all have a meet and greet with the umpires given they have to work together?

Dinga_19

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
There is a clear disconnect between the umpiring department and AFLQ officials if the umpire just ignored the direction of an AFLQ official and decided to go with his own interpretation.

Surely the AFLQ employees all have a meet and greet with the umpires given they have to work together?

This disconnect may not be such as bad thing considering the Umpires knew the laws of the game in this instance, stood firm and backed their knowledge. The reversal of the points to Aspley surely back that up now..

footy_is_king

Debutant
Apr 2, 2009
Home
In our 2011 grand final against Pomona, an "injured" player went off the ground on the opposite side to the interchange bench and was replaced. This player didn't realise he had been replaced and came back on the field. One of players noticed this after a minute or so and we asked for a head count. It was discovered that they had 19 players on the field so we were given a free kick in the middle of the ground and a 50m penalty (no adjustment to the score).

I had a phone call from an AFLQ official the next day explaining what the rule was and that it had been correctly handled by the umpires.

We were 3-4 goals down at the time of the head count earlyish in the last quarter and had Pomona's score been wiped, they wouldn't have had time to catch us.

I'm not sure when AFLQ's interpretation of this rule changed but it has been that way since at least 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinga_19

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
In our 2011 grand final against Pomona, an "injured" player went off the ground on the opposite side to the interchange bench and was replaced. This player didn't realise he had been replaced and came back on the field. One of players noticed this after a minute or so and we asked for a head count. It was discovered that they had 19 players on the field so we were given a free kick in the middle of the ground and a 50m penalty (no adjustment to the score).

I had a phone call from an AFLQ official the next day explaining what the rule was and that it had been correctly handled by the umpires.

We were 3-4 goals down at the time of the head count earlyish in the last quarter and had Pomona's score been wiped, they wouldn't have had time to catch us.

I'm not sure when AFLQ's interpretation of this rule changed but it has been that way since at least 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dare say you were robbed of a premiership there my friend.

The rule has been around for 150 years and hasn't been changed.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My mail is dings is that the result was reversed NOT because of the 19 men but bc of the Caloundra officials that entered the playing arena and the behaviour associated with this. I still would argue that based on th competition rules for aflq that the wrong call was made it matters little now. In all honesty though, irrespective of who is correct it would be good if the aflq put a directive out explaining exactly what the ruling is so that if this situation was to happen again (and it will), that there is no confusion among umpires, officials and players.

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
No interchange stewart from Caloundra at there home game, no ones fault but there own.
Any chance clubs could enter complete details from both sides in results!

BigE

All Australian
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
My mail is dings is that the result was reversed NOT because of the 19 men but bc of the Caloundra officials that entered the playing arena and the behaviour associated with this. I still would argue that based on th competition rules for aflq that the wrong call was made it matters little now. In all honesty though, irrespective of who is correct it would be good if the aflq put a directive out explaining exactly what the ruling is so that if this situation was to happen again (and it will), that there is no confusion among umpires, officials and players.
Smy unfortunately your mail is wrong - officials entering the ground is a whole other matter mate

sunnyman

Rookie
Aug 16, 2013
Nambour
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Smy unfortunately your mail is wrong - officials entering the ground is a whole other matter mate
Thats is right Big E, they lost their score up to the time of the head count because they had 19 men on the field and that's what the rules say should happen.

The report for the President was referred to the tribunal. Not sure if its been heard yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back