briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Would have been perfect for the suns as a team that lacks leadership. Berry's proffesionalism and leadership is phenomenal for a kid his age.

Suns could have done a lot better in this draft considering they had 4 picks inside the top 10 from memory. If the draft were redone today I don't think any of those players would feature in the top 10.
I’d have Ainsworth and Bowes in the top 10. Bowes has a lot of similar attributes to McCluggage, though is a little more inside than Cluga.

We’ve certainly fast tracked the development of our first 3 picks from 2016. Much more so than the Suns top picks from 2016.

I’m expecting Ainsworth, Bowes and Brodie to cement spots this year in the Suns midfield.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
McGrath will hold onto that number 1 spot IMO, His speed is just electric.
I’ll take the field against McGrath.

I expect Taranto (2), McCluggage(3) and Berry (17) to go past McGrath this year.

With Florent and Bowes pushing up as well.

McGrath would basically have to become a version of Lachie Neale to be in the race to be best from the 2016 draft. And I haven’t seen that from him yet.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

I expect Taranto (2), McCluggage(3) and Berry (17) to go past McGrath this year.

McGrath would basically have to become a version of Lachie Neale to be in the race to be best from the 2016 draft. And I haven’t seen that from him yet.

Will be exciting to watch this year all the players you've mentioned.

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d have Ainsworth and Bowes in the top 10. Bowes has a lot of similar attributes to McCluggage, though is a little more inside than Cluga.

We’ve certainly fast tracked the development of our first 3 picks from 2016. Much more so than the Suns top picks from 2016.

I’m expecting Ainsworth, Bowes and Brodie to cement spots this year in the Suns midfield.
Here's my top 11 (no particular order), I think these 11 players are a cut above the rest of the draft at this stage.

Mcgrath, Taranto, McCluggage, Florent, Marshall, Berry, Hayward, Witherden, Fisher, Parfitt and Stewart.

Bowes and Ainsworth would be in the next bracket down for me along with Simpkin, Logue, Venables, Galluci, Perryman, SPP, English, Ridley, Brown, Darcy, Battle and SPS.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Still can't provide a sensible retort to a differing opinion.

Reality is McGrath showed little real improvement in 2018 from his impressive debut season as compared to the top end of his draft class.

He was able to show he can play in multiple positions, He wen't from the RS off the HBF to the wing and stints off HF in his 2nd year, He's now training to become one of our first choice on ballers, has had a great pre season to date and has added much needed muscle to his frame.

His versatility alone has him as one of the most valuable commodities from this draft class.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
My tip is Simpkin and Florent will be the movers in 2019 from this draft - both played every game last year and both have some handy tricks when they get the ball. If they can both push up close to 20 touches a game they will become very good players.
I think it could be Taranto. He's was covering 15k's a game late last year indicating he's git endurance sorted, and looks like becoming more central in our midfield set ups.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
My tip is Simpkin and Florent will be the movers in 2019 from this draft - both played every game last year and both have some handy tricks when they get the ball. If they can both push up close to 20 touches a game they will become very good players.

Simpkin looks classy but not sure he has the size or athleticism to really shoot up the ranks of the draft.

Don't really see the Neale comparison at all. McGrath hopefully becomes a dynamic inside outside player who uses his pace/agility to exit a stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
"A version of Lachie Neale" if that's not a comparison then what is it?
Have a similar impact for his team as a smaller mid who has a greater impact than his size would suggest.

I just picked Neale as he’s the player on our list McGrath would have to have a similar impact to.

I could have picked another of our own shorter mids, Rising Star winner Lewy Taylor from 2013, but he doesn’t have the same impact on games as Neale does.

Last edited:
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I think it could be Taranto. He's was covering 15k's a game late last year indicating he's git endurance sorted, and looks like becoming more central in our midfield set ups.

I don’t see Taranto as a big riser in this draft - he is a gun already - him and McCluggage are 1 & 2.

My 2 movers are more to do with pushing into the top 10 and maybe top 5.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I don’t see Taranto as a big riser in this draft - he is a gun already - him and McCluggage are 1 & 2.

My 2 movers are more to do with pushing into the top 10 and maybe top 5.

In terms if movement I get it. I'd call Taranto best 22 but not a gun as yet.

Here's my top 11 (no particular order), I think these 11 players are a cut above the rest of the draft at this stage.

Mcgrath, Taranto, McCluggage, Florent, Marshall, Berry, Hayward, Witherden, Fisher, Parfitt and Stewart.

Bowes and Ainsworth would be in the next bracket down for me along with Simpkin, Logue, Venables, Galluci, Perryman, SPP, English, Ridley, Brown, Darcy, Battle and SPS.

Some good names there and in all, 2016 seems as though it may serve to have been a very good draft year.

Keep an eye on Petrevski-Seton this year though, as he's finally had a pre-season and is in terrific shape.

Whichever way though, it seems we're going to get oursleves at least 20 quality players drafted from the year 2016.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
How I see it now after 2 years in the system:

1. Taranto
2. McCluggage
3. Stewart
4. McGrath
5. Witherden
6. Marshall
7. Powell-Pepper
8. Fisher
9. Florent
10. Bowes
11. Berry
12. Petrevski-Seton
13.Parfitt
14. Ainsworth
15. Perryman
16. Long
17. Ratugolea
18. Ryan
19. Hayward
20. Simpkin

* Haven't seen enough of due to various reasons:
Darcy, Setterfield, Logue, Venables, Scrimshaw and Williamson.

How I see it after 10 years in the system (classy/match winning players): TOP 10 ONLY

1. McCluggage
2. Petrevski-Seton
3. Taranto
4. Witherden
5. Fisher
6. McGrath
7. Marshall
8. Setterfield
9. Bowes
10. Berry

* I UNDERSTAND ALL CALLING ME OUT FOR CARLTON BIAS (WHICH I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND), HOWEVER QUIETLY CONFIDENT SPS & SETTERFIELD WILL SHOW WHY THEY WERE RATED SO HIGHLY AFTER FINALLY GETTING A PRE-SEASON UNDER THEIR BELT. FISHER IS A JET..WILL CONTINUE GETTING BETTER

* Great haul by Brisbane.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I'd argue Brodie is the most deserving of a top 10 pick still at this point. Worth noting that over 8 games (including round 21 when he was taken off injured half way through the second quarter) was ranked:
7th in the entire competition for centre clearances per game

And amongst NAB Rising Stars last year he was:
1st in:
Total centre clearances
Clearances per game
Centre clearances per game
2nd in:
Handballs per game
Contested possessions per game
4th in:
bounces per game
Inside 50's per game stoppage clearances per game
and 5th in average disposals per game.

If you remove his injured game from his stats, he actually posted better averages than Jarrod Berry in almost every area except Goals, Behinds, and I50's and I think most agree Berry looks like a talent. He hasn't had a lot of exposure like some of the other guys from this draft but to be honest I think he's looked the best of all of our 2016 draftees when he's been played. Think he'll be the biggest mover out of the Suns players at the end of 2019.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How I see it now after 2 years in the system:

1. Taranto
2. McCluggage
3. Stewart
4. McGrath
5. Witherden
6. Marshall
7. Powell-Pepper
8. Fisher
9. Florent
10. Bowes
11. Berry
12. Petrevski-Seton
13.Parfitt
14. Ainsworth
15. Perryman
16. Long
17. Ratugolea
18. Ryan
19. Hayward
20. Simpkin

* Haven't seen enough of due to various reasons:
Darcy, Setterfield, Logue, Venables, Scrimshaw and Williamson.

How I see it after 10 years in the system (classy/match winning players): TOP 10 ONLY

1. McCluggage
2. Petrevski-Seton
3. Taranto
4. Witherden
5. Fisher
6. McGrath
7. Marshall
8. Setterfield
9. Bowes
10. Berry

* I UNDERSTAND ALL CALLING ME OUT FOR CARLTON BIAS (WHICH I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND), HOWEVER QUIETLY CONFIDENT SPS & SETTERFIELD WILL SHOW WHY THEY WERE RATED SO HIGHLY AFTER FINALLY GETTING A PRE-SEASON UNDER THEIR BELT. FISHER IS A JET..WILL CONTINUE GETTING BETTER

* Great haul by Brisbane.
Reckon you're underrating Hayward a bit there. He is an absolute jet and has put in some excellent performances against quality opposition, and has held down a spot in a very solid Swans side. Finished 2nd in the Swans goal kicking in 2018 behind only Buddy. Has shown a lot more than a few of the players you've got ahead of him.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Looking forward to seeing how Battle goes this year, after his switch to defence.

Prior to his concussion issues last year he was really impressive up forward for us, and was looking comfortably in our best 22 at the time, so if he was looking like he belonged up front then, he may find it even easier down back (if he's adapted to the change of role), as it's usually easier to get a kick back there.

We're looking for him to play the Sicily-type intercept marking and distributing role.

Reckon you're underrating Hayward a bit there. He is an absolute jet and has put in some excellent performances against quality opposition, and has held down a spot in a very solid Swans side. Finished 2nd in the Swans goal kicking in 2018 behind only Buddy. Has shown a lot more than a few of the players you've got ahead of him.

It's not easy to project from what we've seen to what may yet be, but I do agree with you re. Hayward.

Has the goods to be well inside the top ten...as has Simpkin and Florent and Perryman and Petrevski-Seton and....There are plenty of good ones here.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair call. Haven't seen as much of him as the others I've rated. Will have a closer look this year.

From what I've seen though, this is a seriously good draft.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1. Taranto
2. English
3. Mcluggage
4. McGrath
5. Setterfield
6. Ainsworth
7. Stewart
8. Brodie
9. Berry
10. Witherdan
11. Fisher
12. Morrison
12. Marshall
13. Brown
14. Hayward
15. Graham
16. Bowes
17. Ratugolea
18. Simpkin
19. Perryman
20. Florent

Didn't include rookies
This is how I'd go

English at #2? It's still not clear he'll make it at the level due to his body. Has loads of talent and agility for a tall guy but so did Ayce Cordy before putting on the weight required for AFL football. Really hit and miss type of player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back