Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it really? One is a (supposed) midfielder, and the other is a lock down defender...awkward
Simpkin is a forward that was moved into the midfield for 1 game.

Can I now claim that Jy is entrenched in our midfield or does he have to play 2 games - like Parfitt to be entrenched?

Rowan Marshall doesn't crack the top 20, despite having received coaches votes in 3 of his 5 games so far this year and having been very solid in the ruck forward role last year?

Averaging 17 disposals (@78% efficiency), 10 contested possessions and 6.2 clearances per game and is in the top 2 for a number of stats for "ruckmen" so far this year.

Here are his numbers for the year so far compared to Rutagolea:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=10&pid2=6368&fid2=S&type=A

And his numbers compared to Todd Marshall:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=14&pid2=6308&fid2=S&type=A

Different roles obviously, but he's monstering them. Even matching or bettering them for goals.

Last edited:

Buh bye irrelevant North posters. Message me when Kelly, Gaff, Dusty, or anyone of importance decides to join your club. Enjoy your stay in mediocrity, it's gonna be a long one

Rowan Marshall doesn't crack the top 20, despite having received coaches votes in 3 of his 5 games so far this year and having been very solid in the ruck forward role last year?

Averaging 17 disposals (10 contested) and 6.2 clearances per game and is in the top 2 for a number of stats for "ruckmen" so far this year.

Here are his numbers for the year so far compared to Rutagolea:

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-30/the-full-afl-injury-list-round-seven

I didn't actually realize Marshall was part of that draft? Love him! 100% he should be in! Replacing Darcy (who already replaced Ratugolea) with him

lol I love the switching Rucks out for other Rucks ^^. Not how the draft works. Its not a best 22. They aren't all going to the same team. God, that guys good for a laugh.

lol I love the switching Rucks out for other Rucks ^^. Not how the draft works. Its not a best 22. They aren't all going to the same team. God, that guys good for a laugh.

So is your entire organization :)

*Ignored

Josh Battle another one who is going under the radar.

Holding down CHB at 20yo in an often very inexperienced defence and is averaging 15 disposals (at a ridiculous 85% efficiency- excellent kick off both feet), 6 marks, 5.4 intercepts and 4 rebound 50's.

His first year playing in defence, so he's largely learning how to defend on the job, but is tracking very, very well, and was showing plenty up forward last year, until he copped a couple of concussions that derailed his season. Could just as easily be holding down CHF.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Revisiting the top 20 today (with current form) -

1. Tim Taranto
2. Tom Stewart
3. Hugh McLuggage
4. Zac Fisher
5. Luke Ryan
6. Brandan Parfitt
7. Alex Witherden
8. Sam Powell-Pepper
9. SPS
10. Andrew McGrath
11. Olly Florent
12. Jarrod Berry
13. Tim English
14. Jack Henry
15. Jack Bowes
16. Will Hayward
17. Ben Ainsworth
18. Rowan Marshall
19. Willie Rioli
20. Todd Marshall

Interesting exercise. Definitely my favourite draft of ours in recent years

EDITED: To replace Ratugolea with Rowan Marshall, and O'Connor with Todd Marshall
Jarrod Berry way too low, he has been a lot better and more consistent than Alex Witherden who you have at 7. I don't think you watch too much of Brisbane, Jarrod Berry is a top 5 lock.

Jarrod Berry way too low, he has been a lot better and more consistent than Alex Witherden who you have at 7. I don't think you watch too much of Brisbane, Jarrod Berry is a top 5 lock.

Berry is not top 5 in that list in any realm.

Especially with the other two Brisbane players miles ahead of him.

Witherden isn't miles ahead of him at all. Love witho, but he gets more notice due to AFL Fantasy/Supercoach production - Berry is the better player in a more difficult position.

I think Berry is in the 5-10 range and Witho in the 10-15 group personally.

Jy Simpkin:

2017 av - 11.1 disposals and 0.7 goals a game
2018 av - 14.8 disposals and 0.5 goals a game
2019 av - 16.6 disposals and 0.3 goals a game (take out inflated game against witches hats and it's 14.6 and 0 goals this year)

Yeah...what a player...
Yes take out games like that. Might as well take out bad games against bench mark teams. I’ve read through your s**t you are just a Whittington troll. Have a nice life bud.

Witherden isn't miles ahead of him at all. Love witho, but he gets more notice due to AFL Fantasy/Supercoach production - Berry is the better player in a more difficult position.

I think Berry is in the 5-10 range and Witho in the 10-15 group personally.

You've got guys like McGrath, SPP, Fisher, Taranto, Stewart, Ryan who are clearly ahead.

No way in the world Alex is way ahead of Jarrod Berry, I'd have Hugh McCluggage ahead of Jarrod but not way ahead.
You've got guys like McGrath, SPP, Fisher, Taranto, Stewart, Ryan who are clearly ahead.
Berry is better performed than McGrath, SPP and Fisher IMO.

Add McCluggage and that makes 7, leaving a few spots still available in the '5-10' range which is where I see Berry slotting in. I think SPP (can't kick) and Fisher are arguable re Berry too, though I like Fisher a lot and can understand why people would put him higher. SPS would be the other one to include in the first 10 or so.

But seriously, ask any Brisbane fan who has been the better player out of Witho and Berry and I doubt you will find anyone who says Witho.

I'd still have McGrath ahead on performance. Long-term I'd take Berry but that's a preference for taller mids more than anything.
You could be right, I haven't watched a lot of the Bombers but what I have seen I much prefer Berry to McGrath........... I could be biased though.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back