Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Could make an argument that if not for injury all 4 would be playing in the AFL this week.
Wouldn’t bother mate

Some people are sad and pathetic who would prefer to dig the heels in than applaud a team for doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter J

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Elliot Himmelberg starting to make his move down from the original pick 51.

Still only 20 and putting together a few games this year as a key forward/2nd ruck.

Still a lot of development to go and expect he will be rested after 8-10 games, but 2020 should see him taking even bigger strides.

Right now would have to be inside top 30

AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Elliot Himmelberg starting to make his move down from the original pick 51.

Still only 20 and putting together a few games this year as a key forward/2nd ruck.

Still a lot of development to go and expect he will be rested after 8-10 games, but 2020 should see him taking even bigger strides.

Right now would have to be inside top 30
Looks a very astute selection. Great replacement for Jenkins

AFL Club
Carlton
Moderator #657
Your eyes may not lie but they’re looking through navy blue glasses. He’s a promising young player, I wanted him for the price he’d come at but you can’t assume he’s going to make significant gains while discounting the chance that others do too. Right as we sit he’s not close to any of those mentioned in the post you replied to on exposed form and while he may get there, your blind faith is likely a little premature. He behind 2 bombers players for a start (McGrath & Ridley, I won’t count Begley), let alone Taranto, McCluggage, SPS, SPP, Florent, Hayward, English, Witherden, Fisher, Battle, Stewart and others.
I wholly agree. Have since my first post. He hasnt had any real exposed form barring a handful (5) of games this year.

I did say that IMO by the end of the year, he's going to be in discussion for that top 10, and in time he is going to more than justify his initial selection at 5.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Brisbane have bossed this draft. McCluggage and Tarranto are going to be absolute stars. I have selected on more potential than exposed form.

1. McCluggage
2. Tarranto
3. Stewart

4. Witherden
5. Berry
6. English
7. Bowes
8. Parfitt
9. Scrimshaw
10. Florent

Last edited:
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dockers & Eagles
Everytime I've ever seen Shai Bolton he's been bottom 5 players on ground.

Apart from last week. He's got a fair bit to do to make up for every other game before we start talking about him moving up much.

scoman

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As a few have mentioned the shine is starting to wear off of Witherden. He is a good kick no doubt and can find himself quite a bit of football in the back half but his pace and fitness is looking like it will limit him as a footballer. He really needs a couple of monster pre seasons if he is going to continue to improve and become a top line player. I'm not sure he should be mentioned in the top ten in this thread tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last year I would've had Witherden inside the top 10 comfortably. This year he has gone backwards a fair bit and is very lucky to keep his spot in the side. He is slow, doesn't work hard, and gets beaten regularly 1 on 1. His weapon is his kicking but even that has been sub-par this season, he turns it over quite a lot and is lacking the confidence he had in his first 2 seasons where he would pull the trigger on very risky kicks and most of the time pull them off, he hasn't done much of that at all this season. Hopefuly he can turn it around. I'd have him currently around his original draft position at 20ish.

Dom PC

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jesus some people are harsh on him. Witho has areas to improve for sure and hasn't been amazing this season (he's still had good games). But he still is what would be considered a young gun IMO...

I agree he's been over taken by a few, but I'd still have him in my top 10. These guys are only in their 3rd year of AFL for goodness sake, none of them are the finished product.

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jesus some people are harsh on him. Witho has areas to improve for sure and hasn't been amazing this season (he's still had good games). But he still is what would be considered a young gun IMO...

I agree he's been over taken by a few, but I'd still have him in my top 10. These guys are only in their 3rd year of AFL for goodness sake, none of them are the finished product.
I think my assessment of him is fair. What would you disagree with, other than draft position?

Dom PC

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think my assessment of him is fair. What would you disagree with, other than draft position?
My post is probably more suited to the Lions board 😊 as lots of Lions fans are very harsh on him. I do agree he's got lots of work to do in terms of improvement. But as a 3rd year player, I just don't think he's been as bad as some lions fans make out.

Other than your current draft ranking, i think your assessment of his kicking is a little harsh. He really hasn't been that inconsistent by foot IMO, but I do agree he is taking less risks this year. His disposal efficiency is actually up 5% this year. And about 10% on his first year. Perhaps he is following Fagan's instructions to not take any risks at this stage of the season... the disposal efficiency improvement would support that.

Now is that a good thing or a bad thing? With us being 5-3 currently, I am leaning towards the "wait and see" option.

Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Brisbane have bossed this draft. McCluggage and Tarranto are going to be absolute stars. I have selected on more potential than exposed form.

1. McCluggage
2. Tarranto
3. Stewart

4. Witherden
5. Berry
6. English
7. Bowes
8. Parfitt
9. Scrimshaw
10. Florent
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk