Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure - but the comment as I understood it was based on slotting them into the top 10 as it stands. Anyway, especially in Larkey's case we aren't talking about a great young tall just yet. By comparison Naughton on performance is in the top 2-3 in his draft year, by his third year Harris Andrews was performing to a very high level and was 40 games in.

Point being, its a very very small sample size and you can't extrapolate from VFL to AFL form for talls. Plenty of players are good enough to dominate the VFL that do nothing at AFL level.

I'd have Battle in the conversation for the top 20 personally, and if he continues his good form then he can rise up.

Larkey reminds me of Hipwood.

Sure - but the comment as I understood it was based on slotting them into the top 10 as it stands. Anyway, especially in Larkey's case we aren't talking about a great young tall just yet. By comparison Naughton on performance is in the top 2-3 in his draft year, by his third year Harris Andrews was performing to a very high level and was 40 games in.

Point being, its a very very small sample size and you can't extrapolate from VFL to AFL form for talls. Plenty of players are good enough to dominate the VFL that do nothing at AFL level.

I'd have Battle in the conversation for the top 20 personally, and if he continues his good form then he can rise up.

My point is they are clearly showing they are not those types that don’t translate to AFL.

My other point was Todd Marshall is in a lot of top 10 lists in this very thread...

I’m sure you have Eric Hipwood in his top 10...

Don’t mention the m word to hawks fans
Scrimshaw. Spell me.
McGrath is becoming a damn fine footballer and regardless of whether he ends up being the best from this draft, you can see why he went number 1.

The Lions have also set themselves up really well with their selections, I'm a fan of Berry who I can see captaining the Brisbane in time.

McGrath is becoming a damn fine footballer and regardless of whether he ends up being the best from this draft, you can see why he went number 1.

The Lions have also set themselves up really well with their selections, I'm a fan of Berry who I can see captaining the Brisbane in time.
A couple of clubs had a great draft in 2016.
McGrath and Ridley have developed very nicely.
I'm puzzled that we are playing mcniece (Who is a decent depth player) over Ridley, who belies his age with the calmness he displays under pressure.

Anyhoo, the top 3 will probably remain the top 3 from this draft, with a few bolters close behind.
I couldn't split McGrath, taranto and clug draft night

I remember being keen on a taranto/battle combo at 1 and 19, given how well they played together at u18 level.
When Ridley was still there at 19 I was stoked to get him. Had him rated top 10

A couple of clubs had a great draft in 2016.
McGrath and Ridley have developed very nicely.
I'm puzzled that we are playing mcniece (Who is a decent depth player) over Ridley, who belies his age with the calmness he displays under pressure.

Anyhoo, the top 3 will probably remain the top 3 from this draft, with a few bolters close behind.
I couldn't split McGrath, taranto and clug draft night

I remember being keen on a taranto/battle combo at 1 and 19, given how well they played together at u18 level.
When Ridley was still there at 19 I was stoked to get him. Had him rated top 10

I think will will have a clear picture in two years time how this draft turns out.

I might be biased but this man could be number 1.

B922C7F8-6E1A-4F0C-9ACF-5317732E7A4E-9210-000010F01180841E.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think will will have a clear picture in two years time how this draft turns out.

I might be biased but this man could be number 1.

View attachment 687334

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He could also become just a good average medium forward. He’s had 1 really good game in 3 years, calm down.

Didn't watch Fridays game, I take it?
11 disposals, 11 tackles, no goals, 7 score involvements. Easy to please down at North Melbourne these days I guess, but I would class that as a decent, but not great game.

11 disposals, 11 tackles, no goals, 7 score involvements. Easy to please down at North Melbourne these days I guess, but I would class that as a decent, but not great game.
Yeah you might want to actually watch football rather than read stat lines..... theres a reason they had a dedicated highlight reel to him in the post game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah you might want to actually watch football rather than read stat lines.....
I watched, I just didn’t walk away thinking that he’d had an amazing game. As I said, you guys are easily pleased.

Youre entitled to your opinion but you may want to look beyond stats. Its infantile.
Almost as infantile as declaring a player the next DeGoey off the back of 1 great and 1 decent game.

I watched, I just didn’t walk away thinking that he’d had an amazing game. As I said, you guys are easily pleased.
He got coaches votes - his tackling performance was very good. He rattled alot of Tiger players.

I would like to see this consistantly before putting him in the top 10 but this was a game where the stats alone didn't show his full impact on the game.

As it stands he is looking like one of the steals of the draft.

Lol ohhhh youre cross about a random North poster making that comparison and quoting it to me as if I said. Grow up.
I’m not cross about anything, I’m simply pointing out that making such declarations as he’ll be top 10 in his draft, and DeGoey clone, off the back of one outstanding game, and 1 good tackling game is very premature. You clearly haven’t taken this reasonably balanced view very well and have jumped in defending it, and started throwing out insults in the process. But yeah, I’m the angry one who needs to grow up. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror buddy.

Last edited:
I’m not cross about anything, I’m simply pointing out that it’s premature to be making such declarations as he’ll be top 10 in his draft, and DeGoey clone, off the back of one outstanding game, and 1 good tackling game is very premature. You clearly haven’t taken this reasonably balanced view very well and have jumped in defending it, and started throwing out insults in the process. But yeah, I’m the angry one who needs to grow up. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror buddy.
haha where is this Degoey comparison coming from? You're creating stories in your head.

Incorrect, again. You said he's had one good game - I questioned that. You're living in a fantasy land. I'm done.
Ok m8. Have fun getting excited over a 0 goal game because tackles.

Career games:
Battle - 17
Larkey - 8

Both have been decent this year, Battle in particular but let's cool the jets on slotting them into the top 10. I get that you say you take into account VFL/reserves form but I don't think you can extrapolate too much from that.

The better performed players in this draft are tracking towards 40-50 games (e.g. McCluggage has played 51) and have many more runs on the board.
Pick 66 Luke Ryan - 42 games

Happy with where we got him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back