Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

With regards to the Suns, IMO Ainsworth and Bowes have shown plenty to suggest they will be very good selections, Scrimshaw and Brodie not so much.

I remember on draft night I had everything crossed from our selection 3 all the way to pick 16 hoping that Jarrod Berry would fall to us.

to me simpkin looks set to explode. he had 36 touches (21 contested) and a beautiful goal tonight. he has had 20 clearances over the last 2 games. arguably back to back BOGs.

has an astonishing highlight reel but is starting to put together some nice consistency in the middle. smoothest mover i have seen in a while. what a sidestep. magic through traffic.

i consider him norths most talented player and very happy to get him with pick 12 due to injuries.

from the looks of this thread it doesnt really seem like he is rated by other club supporters which is interesting. maybe that will come.

Last edited:
to me simpkin looks set to explode. he had 36 touches (21 contested) and a beautiful goal tonight. he has had 20 clearances over the last 2 games. arguably back to back BOGs.

has an astonishing highlight reel but is starting to put together some nice consistency in the middle. smoothest mover i have seen in a while. what a sidestep. magic through traffic.

i consider him norths most talented player and very happy to get him with pick 12 due to injuries.

from the looks of this thread it doesnt really seem like he is rated by other club supporters which is interesting. maybe that will come.
Sounds impressive, haven’t seen either game so will withhold comment on the games in question but if you’re wondering why nobody rated him that highly to date it’s likely because he’s produced very little until the last couple of weeks aside from maybe a blind turn a while back.

Sounds impressive, haven’t seen either game so will withhold comment on the games in question but if you’re wondering why nobody rated him that highly to date it’s likely because he’s produced very little until the last couple of weeks aside from maybe a blind turn a while back.

fair enough. i dont think the bolded is true. i think he has produced a fair bit, including several other games of 20+ disposals and 1 or more goals this season. he is averaging around 20 disposals per game even though he has played quite a few games rotting in the forward pocket under brad scott.

im not a big stats guy, but if you look at all the numbers and compare measures like champion data rankings and afl fantasy points etc., then you will see that he has someone like, for example, oliver florent covered, a player who is very highly rated in this thread and appears 10+ places higher than simpkin in most lists.

fair enough. i dont think the bolded is true. i think he has produced a fair bit, including several other games of 20+ disposals and 1 or more goals this season. he is averaging around 20 disposals per game even though he has played quite a few games rotting in the forward pocket under brad scott.

im not a big stats guy, but if you look at all the numbers and compare measures like champion data rankings and afl fantasy points etc., then you will see that he has someone like, for example, oliver florent covered, a player who is very highly rated in this thread and appears 10+ places higher than simpkin in most lists.

He has been rated appropriately to date I would have thought.

If he continues his form from the last month (no reason why he won’t - he clearly believes now) then he will surge up these rankings no question.

He is finally a full time mid and is now showing signs of why he went so early in the draft.

Make sure you tune in this sat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall is an A grade ruckman. Physical and athletic. You’ve got a good one there. 👏👏
They said a few days ago that since round 11, he's the highest rated player in the comp in the AFL Player ratings!

And you'd think after yesterday's game that won't have changed.

Had 20 disposals (16 contested), 8 clearances, 8 score involvements, 6 tackles, 31 hitouts, and kicked a goal.

Is really only just learning the ruck craft, too, having played and trained mainly forward in his first two years with us (because we had Hickey, Longer and Holmes ahead of him there) and played mostly key defence in the VFL in the year he got drafted.

So you'd think there's a lot of improvement in him still.

Last edited:
Just in the last month, this draft has seen some players go from simply promising to actual bonafide gun players.

1. Tim Taranto
2. Hugh McCluggage
3. Rowan Marshall
4. Tom Stewart
5. Luke Ryan
6. Andrew McGrath
7. Jarrod Berry
8. Zac Fisher
9. Jack Bowes
10. Josh Battle
11. Jy Simpkin
12. Alex Witherden
13. Sam Petrevski-Seton
14. Brandan Parfitt
15. Ben Ainsworth

With Oliver Florent, Sam Powell-Pepper, Will Hayward, Mitch Hannan and Jack Graham having an early body built and will be looking to pick up on where they left off.

With Callum Brown, Oscar McInerney, Jack Henry, Taylin Duman, Harry Morrison, Jack Scrimshaw, Tim English, Brennan Cox, Willie Rioli, Will Setterfield, , Sean Darcy and Jordan Gallucci becoming regulars for their sides and looking like serviceable types over many years

And with Nick Larkey, Cam Zurharr, Patrick Lipinski, Shai Bolton, Mitch Lewis and Jarrod Lienert in good recent form and potential candidates of breaking out and blasting up the rankings

Just in the last month, this draft has seen some players go from simply promising to actual bonafide gun players.

1. Tim Taranto
2. Hugh McCluggage
3. Rowan Marshall
4. Tom Stewart
5. Luke Ryan
6. Andrew McGrath
7. Jarrod Berry
8. Zac Fisher
9. Jack Bowes
10. Josh Battle
11. Jy Simpkin
12. Alex Witherden
13. Sam Petrevski-Seton
14. Brandan Parfitt
15. Ben Ainsworth

With Oliver Florent, Sam Powell-Pepper, Will Hayward, Mitch Hannan and Jack Graham having an early body built and will be looking to pick up on where they left off.

With Callum Brown, Oscar McInerney, Jack Henry, Taylin Duman, Harry Morrison, Jack Scrimshaw, Tim English, Brennan Cox, Willie Rioli, Will Setterfield, , Sean Darcy and Jordan Gallucci becoming regulars for their sides and looking like serviceable types over many years

And with Nick Larkey, Cam Zurharr, Patrick Lipinski, Shai Bolton, Mitch Lewis and Jarrod Lienert in good recent form and potential candidates of breaking out and blasting up the rankings

Interesting to rank them by the 2019 AFL coaches votes:

Taranto and McCluggage having great years!! Taranto is 14th in the AFL.

Tim Taranto - 44
Hugh McCluggage - 36
Tom Stewart - 23
Jy Simpkin - 19
Luke Ryan - 17
Rowan Marshall - 17
Sam Petrevski-Seton - 7
Andrew McGrath - 7
Jack Bowes - 5
Zac Fisher - 4
Brandan Parfitt - 1
Ben Ainsworth - 1
Jarrod Berry - 0
Alex Witherden - 0
Josh Battle - 0

Reckon Timmy Taranto could make the AA squad if he doesn't taper off?

I'd say he'd have to improve on current output. Been very, very good but mid spots in the AA team are super tight and there'd be quite a few ahead of him. Would not surprise me one bit to see him there in the not too distant future though.

I'd say he'd have to improve on current output. Been very, very good but mid spots in the AA team are super tight and there'd be quite a few ahead of him. Would not surprise me one bit to see him there in the not too distant future though.
Squad? 16 or 17 mid's will make the squad. He is a good chance to make it.

Squad? 16 or 17 mid's will make the squad. He is a good chance to make it.

Maybe. If I was just to look at who I've have ahead of him in Cripps, Neale, Cunnington, Fyfe, Bont, Boak, Jelly, Kelly, Parker, Danger, Oliver, Shuey, Coniglio, Macrae, Dunkley, Merrett. And then there's likely to be some strict wingers like Hill, Henderson and maybe Clugg that will be in the list too. I just think at this point there's a few too many names ahead of him at his current output.

Maybe. If I was just to look at who I've have ahead of him in Cripps, Neale, Cunnington, Fyfe, Bont, Boak, Jelly, Kelly, Parker, Danger, Oliver, Shuey, Coniglio, Macrae, Dunkley, Merrett. And then there's likely to be some strict wingers like Hill, Henderson and maybe Clugg that will be in the list too. I just think at this point there's a few too many names ahead of him at his current output.
Josh Kelly has missed 3 and is about to miss another 3-4. Dunkley' season started in round 7 when he moved into the midfield, Oliver is well down on past seasons and I think he has been more consistant than Cogs at the GWS. Parker and Merrett can also be debated.

With the coaches votes he is sitting 12th best mid. A strong finish and I wouldn't be surprised if he made it. McCluagge has been quality as well.

Josh Kelly has missed 3 and is about to miss another 3-4. Dunkley' season started in round 7 when he moved into the midfield, Oliver is well down on past seasons and I think he has been more consistant than Cogs at the GWS. Parker and Merrett can also be debated.

With the coaches votes he is sitting 12th best mid. A strong finish and I wouldn't be surprised if he made it.

Yeah, that's all reasonable. Although on Dunkley and Oliver don't know if either of those will impact their standing. Oliver's had some awful games, although with high stats, and not quite at the level of last year (keeping in mind he's only 21) but still playing at a very high level and regardless of Dunkley being moved into the midfield late he's been enormous and has played at a higher level than Taranto. Don't know why Parker and Merrett are up for debate any more than Taranto; both have been fantastic and at times shining lights during periods where the rest of their teams have struggled. Cogs in my opinion has just been better than him. He's in with a chance. I just think it's too tight and he'll miss unless he definitely increases his output to the point where we're regularly hearing in the media about how good he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back