Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Could make an argument that if not for injury all 4 would be playing in the AFL this week.

Wouldn’t bother mate

Some people are sad and pathetic who would prefer to dig the heels in than applaud a team for doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elliot Himmelberg starting to make his move down from the original pick 51.

Still only 20 and putting together a few games this year as a key forward/2nd ruck.

Still a lot of development to go and expect he will be rested after 8-10 games, but 2020 should see him taking even bigger strides.

Right now would have to be inside top 30

Elliot Himmelberg starting to make his move down from the original pick 51.

Still only 20 and putting together a few games this year as a key forward/2nd ruck.

Still a lot of development to go and expect he will be rested after 8-10 games, but 2020 should see him taking even bigger strides.

Right now would have to be inside top 30

Looks a very astute selection. Great replacement for Jenkins

Your eyes may not lie but they’re looking through navy blue glasses. He’s a promising young player, I wanted him for the price he’d come at but you can’t assume he’s going to make significant gains while discounting the chance that others do too. Right as we sit he’s not close to any of those mentioned in the post you replied to on exposed form and while he may get there, your blind faith is likely a little premature. He behind 2 bombers players for a start (McGrath & Ridley, I won’t count Begley), let alone Taranto, McCluggage, SPS, SPP, Florent, Hayward, English, Witherden, Fisher, Battle, Stewart and others.

I wholly agree. Have since my first post. He hasnt had any real exposed form barring a handful (5) of games this year.

I did say that IMO by the end of the year, he's going to be in discussion for that top 10, and in time he is going to more than justify his initial selection at 5.

I’ll be intrigued to see if Shai Bolton starts to work his way up the order, so much potential and just starting to show it, hope gets a good run at it this year.

As a few have mentioned the shine is starting to wear off of Witherden. He is a good kick no doubt and can find himself quite a bit of football in the back half but his pace and fitness is looking like it will limit him as a footballer. He really needs a couple of monster pre seasons if he is going to continue to improve and become a top line player. I'm not sure he should be mentioned in the top ten in this thread tbh.

Last year I would've had Witherden inside the top 10 comfortably. This year he has gone backwards a fair bit and is very lucky to keep his spot in the side. He is slow, doesn't work hard, and gets beaten regularly 1 on 1. His weapon is his kicking but even that has been sub-par this season, he turns it over quite a lot and is lacking the confidence he had in his first 2 seasons where he would pull the trigger on very risky kicks and most of the time pull them off, he hasn't done much of that at all this season. Hopefuly he can turn it around. I'd have him currently around his original draft position at 20ish.

Jesus some people are harsh on him. Witho has areas to improve for sure and hasn't been amazing this season (he's still had good games). But he still is what would be considered a young gun IMO...

I agree he's been over taken by a few, but I'd still have him in my top 10. These guys are only in their 3rd year of AFL for goodness sake, none of them are the finished product.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus some people are harsh on him. Witho has areas to improve for sure and hasn't been amazing this season (he's still had good games). But he still is what would be considered a young gun IMO...

I agree he's been over taken by a few, but I'd still have him in my top 10. These guys are only in their 3rd year of AFL for goodness sake, none of them are the finished product.
I think my assessment of him is fair. What would you disagree with, other than draft position?

I think my assessment of him is fair. What would you disagree with, other than draft position?
My post is probably more suited to the Lions board 😊 as lots of Lions fans are very harsh on him. I do agree he's got lots of work to do in terms of improvement. But as a 3rd year player, I just don't think he's been as bad as some lions fans make out.

Other than your current draft ranking, i think your assessment of his kicking is a little harsh. He really hasn't been that inconsistent by foot IMO, but I do agree he is taking less risks this year. His disposal efficiency is actually up 5% this year. And about 10% on his first year. Perhaps he is following Fagan's instructions to not take any risks at this stage of the season... the disposal efficiency improvement would support that.

Now is that a good thing or a bad thing? With us being 5-3 currently, I am leaning towards the "wait and see" option.

Brisbane have bossed this draft. McCluggage and Tarranto are going to be absolute stars. I have selected on more potential than exposed form.

1. McCluggage
2. Tarranto
3. Stewart

4. Witherden
5. Berry
6. English
7. Bowes
8. Parfitt
9. Scrimshaw
10. Florent

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Battle is really starting to come on. Great hands, good courage and great kick. Expect him to become quite dominant as he gets closer to 50 games.

Battle and Larkey have barely been mentioned in this entire thread, they’d both be easily in the top 10 imo, I take into account VFL/Reserves form for key talls of this age and they were both dominant forces during their apprenticeships.

Larkey’s going at 1.5 goals a game for a string bean key forward at the moment, he’s going better than Marshall at the moment who most have in their top 10’s.

Last edited:
Battle and Larkey have barely been mentioned in this entire thread, they’d both be easily in the top 10 imo, I take into account VFL/Reserves form for key talls of this age and they were both dominant forces during their apprenticeships.

Larkey’s going at 1.5 goals a game for a string bean key forward at the moment, he’s going better than Marshall at the moment who most have in their top 10’s.

Career games:
Battle - 17
Larkey - 8

Both have been decent this year, Battle in particular but let's cool the jets on slotting them into the top 10. I get that you say you take into account VFL/reserves form but I don't think you can extrapolate too much from that.

The better performed players in this draft are tracking towards 40-50 games (e.g. McCluggage has played 51) and have many more runs on the board.

Career games:
Battle - 17
Larkey - 8

Both have been decent this year, Battle in particular but let's cool the jets on slotting them into the top 10. I get that you say you take into account VFL/reserves form but I don't think you can extrapolate too much from that.

The better performed players in this draft are tracking towards 40-50 games (e.g. McCluggage has played 51) and have many more runs on the board.
That's an excellent way of generating a list of shorter players like mids, half back flankers and small forwards. Talls take time.

That's an excellent way of generating a list of shorter players like mids, half back flankers and small forwards. Talls take time.

Sure - but the comment as I understood it was based on slotting them into the top 10 as it stands. Anyway, especially in Larkey's case we aren't talking about a great young tall just yet. By comparison Naughton on performance is in the top 2-3 in his draft year, by his third year Harris Andrews was performing to a very high level and was 40 games in.

Point being, its a very very small sample size and you can't extrapolate from VFL to AFL form for talls. Plenty of players are good enough to dominate the VFL that do nothing at AFL level.

I'd have Battle in the conversation for the top 20 personally, and if he continues his good form then he can rise up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back