Prediction 2016 Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess is the club thinks that the salary cap will increase and Rookie's will be included in it. They are trying to spend as little as possible and bank the cap increase so it can be rolled into 2018.

We quite often agree on most things but I don't think the club needs to justify itself to us as supporters or members, not at this stage anyway.
If we have a disastrous year and finish bottom 8 then yes but if every employee had to justify their position and expertise there'd be no point having them.
They just need to explain it. I'm sure there is a reason. It's a free hit - why not rookie VB or Grigg to play SANFL and move the cones at training if we don't rate anyone. Would save on the footy department cap!

I'm cringing so much right now.

Not because we didn't make any rookie picks, but because after drafting Le Bois the Blues have given him the nickname 'yeah the boys'

I thought Sam Shaw retired? I'm so confused right now...

Edit: Ok I checked on Twitter:

First rookie pick is Sam Shaw, an administrative decision in relation to the pending CBA and Sam's access to welfare assistance #crowsdraft

Regarding Sam Shaw...to me, it 's quite simple really. We save money by delisting him and putting him on the rookie list while he is still rehabbing. If he manages to recover from the concussion issues we still have a good player available to us.
As has already been suggested, with the uncertainty over the rookie list being abolished next year, those 2 Cat Bs salaries would put pressure on the cap.
If I recall correctly we have gone short on the rookie list once or twice in previous years. It does have some benefits by doing so.

Seems like we had interest in both Marshall and McInerney. Very surprised we didn't pick up a ruck, if that's the case.
And South Adelaide Ruckman Sam Draper surprisingly went 1st Pick after only playing footy for 9 months after converting from soccer, just a "little" upside there you would think...perhaps we wanted him too?

It's not all bad news.

Vader's "who will be delisted" predictions took a further turn for the worse.

You guaranteed us that Sam Shaw wouldn't be on our list in 2017 Vader :p.

We also have two category B rookies who are better than anyone on the standard rookie list (IMHO).

An excellent off season for the Adelaide Football Club!!!!
Guess I have to cop this one. Not that I saw anyone else predicting the club re-drafting him for "player welfare" purposes, due to the pending CBA.

I do see one positive to come out of this - it speaks volumes about Adelaide's culture, that we'd re-draft a player just for "player welfare" purposes. Players will know that they will be treated with care & respect at the Adelaide Football Club. We go out of our way to look after our own.

I think a few things we have done point towards minimising the salary cap next season, I think we are trying to front load a few contracts and stay as close to 95% as possible, so in 2017 we can go 105% of the cap and bring in a free agent or trade. I have a suspicion that we had someone lined up as a potential trade next year before Bryce asked for a trade which is why we didn't want to give up any of our future picks to get Bryce or improve our draft position.

I really want to believe we are that far ahead. I really want to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should mean that GWS get a penalty too then.

Rookied Patfull after he retired.
Gone into the season with TWO senior list spots free
Only have 3 Cat A rookies
Have 3 Cat B, but they can list more if from their zone.

Gee, they've gone really short.

:p
My post was tongue in cheek, but then again, you know, not really.
#afl

" He has been taken by Adelaide for administration purposes “in relation to the pending CBA and Sam's access to welfare assistance.”"

So...because no new CBA, Sam might lose access to medical insurance or something if he's not on a list? So we good-bloke signed him up.
While I applaud the AFC for doing this and I can understand the approach , it annoys me because of the tardiness of the AFL and the AFLPA that this situation arose.

The 2nd thing to think about is if the CBA was in place : would the AFC have selected anybody apart from Ben Jarman?

" He has been taken by Adelaide for administration purposes “in relation to the pending CBA and Sam's access to welfare assistance.”"

So...because no new CBA, Sam might lose access to medical insurance or something if he's not on a list? So we good-bloke signed him up.
Not quite.. It's expected that the new CBA (if/when the AFL & AFLPA ever reach agreement) is likely to have better provisions for players post-career. By drafting Shaw, he becomes eligible for these new provisions (whatever they might be). If we didn't draft him, he would have only been eligible for the provisions in the current/old CBA.

I wonder how the contracts of Greenwood and Keath might impact our TPP if they were to abolish the rookie list. Do we still keep them as Cat B players who are off the books? Or are they absorbed into the main list like every other rookie? And how do the extra numbers work list wise since Cat B rookies are their own seperate beasts?

Greenwood had just signed a 90K contract with Perth when he decided to join us. If we did something like offer him 100K to come over and because it was "off the books" then suddenly we've got a double rookie almost to absorb into the cap. Same again with Keith.
Anything above the standard rookie contract is included in the salary cap anyway, so probably half his salary is already counted towards the TPP.

Not quite.. It's expected that the new CBA (if/when the AFL & AFLPA ever reach agreement) is likely to have better provisions for players post-career. By drafting Shaw, he becomes eligible for these new provisions (whatever they might be). If we didn't draft him, he would have only been eligible for the provisions in the current/old CBA.
Ao we helped shaw out ahead of ine of the many rookes who didn't get drafted. didn't i hear this was a great year and the quality leftover was fantastic, yet we went for a retired bloke who got a favour. guess he qualifies for fa now

South to drop out of SANFL finals. Port have done well to stack their Reserves team with proven SANFL level talent.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
Leinert has some talent and is a great size, could be more than a handy SANFL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back