2017/18 Melbourne Victory Thread. We Are The Champions!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha off course they did.
Stopped us from getting Diamanti when the rule was around as well if anyone can remember lol

Melbourne Victory have been blocked from signing former Italy international Alessandro Diamanti under the same rule which allowed their crosstown rivals, City, to snap up Socceroos superstar Tim Cahill.

Football Federation Australia rejected Victory’s bid for 33-year-old left footed attacker Diamanti, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The guest marquee rule opens the door for A-League clubs to sign high profile players for an entire season outside the salary cap.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/victorys-diamanti-deal-dashed-434406

It's happening people!!!!

Victory land Honda for $2.9 million but Maclaren wavering
Updated Updated 54 mins ago By Dave Lewis
2 minutes
Victory have stumped up $1.3 million, with Football Federation Australia - via Fox Sports’ $3 million marquee fund - paying the lion’s share of $1.6 million.

Negotiations have been ongoing for over two months, with The World Game exclusively revealing a deal was close in mid-July.

It’s now over the line after several on-off moments, and an official announcement is expected imminently.

The 32-year-old playmaker, who retired from international football after the 2018 FIFA World Cup, is likely to provide some wow factor to an A-League competition seeking to break out free from a straitjacket of mediocrity in 2018-2019.

And he could also provide the perfect antidote for Victory boss Kevin Muscat, as he works to boost his squad following the high profile departures of Leroy George, Besart Berisha, and Rhys Williams.

However Victory’s bid to team Honda with Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren is far less cut and dried, despite reports he is headed to AAMI Park.

Maclaren, 24, remains on the books of 2.Bundesliga club Darmstadt, and despite being inundated with offers from England, Scotland, Continental Europe and the A-League, he has yet to be granted an early release from his contract.

Victory would also have to somehow squeeze him inside the salary cap, with Honda and James Troisi occupying the marquee spots.

Honda has been a free agent since departing Mexican club Pachuca.

A-League boss Greg O’Rourke did not to respond to The World Game’s request for comment.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/victory-land-honda-for-2-9-million-but-maclaren-wavering

Granted its theworldgame.com they love putting their balls on the line! But I'm also hearing it from multiple sources now! It's out there and nobody is denying it! Good deal imo!

Get excited!!

Stopped us from getting Diamanti when the rule was around as well if anyone can remember lol

Melbourne Victory have been blocked from signing former Italy international Alessandro Diamanti under the same rule which allowed their crosstown rivals, City, to snap up Socceroos superstar Tim Cahill.

Football Federation Australia rejected Victory’s bid for 33-year-old left footed attacker Diamanti, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The guest marquee rule opens the door for A-League clubs to sign high profile players for an entire season outside the salary cap.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/victorys-diamanti-deal-dashed-434406
Tbf there needs to be a bit of context around that situation. There had always been a guest player rule which was at the time between 10-14 games, but you had to meet a marketability criteria basically at the FFA's discretion to be granted the slot.
Cahill became available going into the season but was asking big coin, and essentially no-one was interested in stumping up the cash except City, but they weren't willing to forego their 2nd marquee spot on a second striker as Fornaroli already occupied one.
As Cahill fit the marketability criteria, City asked to use the guest slot, but Cahill wasn't going to sign for half a season, it was all or nothing. The FFA's brainchild was to extend the guest slot for the full season rather than add a 3rd marquee slot. Note that regular marquees don't have to pass any criteria to be approved, their only need to be ticked off by FFA is to make sure there's no funny business in the contract to cheat the cap. City took full advantage of this and offered a heavily front ended three year deal (with the first outside the cap in the guest slot) to Cahill, in a move that ultimately backfired when Cahill threw them under the bus by leaving in season two. In fairness Cahill did pay the club back around 500k to leave, but no doubt Melbourne City were burned overall.

Now with the introduction of the full season guest slot, MV in particular went about trying to secure a guest marquee as well and were ultimately unsuccessful. Obviously what qualified was subjective to some degree, but FFA deemed Diamante as not particularly marketble and therefore knocked him back. The other option Victory pursued was Essein, who passed the FFA's test but their early crow combined with some family matters meant Essein didnt end up signing and hence no-one was signed in the slot.
It's worth noting that the way the FFA sold the guest marquee slot to the clubs essentially meant they'd have to contribute something to the players salary if the approved them, so FFA had incentive to not approve the player as a guest marquee unless they could see the benefit marketing-wise. In that sense I personally think they actually got it right with Diamante; as good as a player as he might have well proven to be he wasn't known whatsoever by your average punter.

A) I hope the Honda deal is all well and done
B) I hope that it will be more than a 1 year deal as reported

J Mac moving back to the A League doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, actually makes no sense at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yess!!! So that means Tom Lynch will be a Tiger next year cause his sister is a tiger too :D

J Mac moving back to the A League doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, actually makes no sense at all.
i kinda agree with that. he's got a taste of europe, and he's getting more attention. Why come back here?

i kinda agree with that. he's got a taste of europe, and he's getting more attention. Why come back here?

If JMac’s options are 1) stay where he is play reserves and warm The bench. 2) Move to cold and miserable Edinburgh and play for Hibs who ain’t gonna win anything and are a mid table SPL club going nowhere! As well as getting paid peanuts. 3) Or Come Home to sunny and warm Melbourne where he’ll be treated with the respect he deserves with the best facilities. Playing in frant of the best fans in the country and making a good living out of scoring for fun! All under the watchful eyes of the current Socceroos boss too.

We would easily be able to match whatever Hibs are offering well insider our cap! Look maybe JMac just isn’t quite ready to make it in the big leagues in Europe just yet and needs a reset similar to Rojas.
We’ll be able to look after him better then Hibs that’s for sure. Whether he’ll stick around for the whole season or longer if he starts banging them in? well...
I just think it’s not such a bad idea if these are his only options.

Last edited:
If JMac’s options are 1) stay where he is play reserves and warm The bench. 2) Move to cold and miserable Edinburgh and play for Hibs who ain’t gonna win anything and are a mid table SPL club going nowhere! As well as getting paid peanuts. 3) Or Come Home to sunny and warm Melbourne where he’ll be treated with the respect he deserves with the best facilities. Playing in frant of the best fans in the country and making a good living out of scoring for fun! All under the watchful eyes of the current Socceroos boss too.

We would earlier be able to match whatever Hibs are offering well insider our cap! Look maybe JMac just isn’t quite ready to make it in the big leagues in Europe just yet and needs a reset similar to Rojas.
We’ll be able to look after him better then Hibs that’s for sure. Whether he’ll stick around for the whole season or longer if he starts banging them in? well...
I just think it’s not such a bad idea if these are his only options.

You make valid points mate. It really depends where he is at as a player. Is he getting paid peanuts?

Pros for Europe
If he wants to be immersed in football every day then europe is best
Easily travel to other countries, and cheap to travel (ticket wise)
More clubs watching him, can move if interest is there
His dad played in scotland. It's carrying on a tradition of sorts

Cons for Europe
Lack of sunlight in winter
Away from home
Cost of living?

Maybe he needs to reset,i for one would love him in navy blue. Only he knows whats best.

You make valid points mate. It really depends where he is at as a player. Is he getting paid peanuts?

Pros for Europe
If he wants to be immersed in football every day then europe is best
Easily travel to other countries, and cheap to travel (ticket wise)
More clubs watching him, can move if interest is there
His dad played in scotland. It's carrying on a tradition of sorts

Cons for Europe
Lack of sunlight in winter
Away from home
Cost of living?

Maybe he needs to reset,i for one would love him in navy blue. Only he knows whats best.

I meant Peanuts in terms of what Hibernian would offer! Despite the SPL not having a salary cap apart from Celtics and maybe Rangers SPL clubs don't have very much spending money especially for foreigners. Avg wages at Hibs wouldn't be more then 150K! We would easily match that in our cap. Remember we have Georges wages and Troisi previous wages to go nuts on we have the $$$ that wouldn't be an issue, The issue would be if he wants to stuck it out in Europe and take the gamble or come back home and reset! (also a gamble I might add) I just hope he's getting the right advise either way!

I meant Peanuts in terms of what Hibernian would offer! Despite the SPL not having a salary cap apart from Celtics and maybe Rangers SPL clubs don't have very much spending money especially for foreigners. Avg wages at Hibs wouldn't be more then 150K! We would easily match that in our cap. Remember we have Georges wages and Troisi previous wages to go nuts on we have the $$$ that wouldn't be an issue, The issue would be if he wants to stuck it out in Europe and take the gamble or come back home and reset! (also a gamble I might add) I just hope he's getting the right advise either way!

oh i understand now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back