2017-18 NHL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

George Parros, "Get me Baastaan's number, please... ring ring, ring ring, Don! Hey Don is Cam there? Yeah, thanks... ***why would I want to talk to Sweeney when I can talk to Sea Bass!***
Hi Mr Neely? George Parros here, big fan... uh yeah, remember me? Marchand and all that... anyway, we're going to have to have a chat about your man Backes. What time suits you best?"
If backes got a call from dops for that hit, noone would be hitting anybody in open ice anymore. He attempted a regulation hit on the guy with the puck who tried to deke him sideways.

Another embarrassing display, in a huge rut at the moment and if things don’t change quickly we will be back amongst the pack very soon

If backes got a call from dops for that hit, noone would be hitting anybody in open ice anymore. He attempted a regulation hit on the guy with the puck who tried to deke him sideways.

Yeah, right. Everyone would just stop hitting...

He stuck his knee out, looks like no injury = no suspension. Lucky for Backes that contact was to Dermott’s thigh instead of knee. An injury and he’s gone for three.

Yeah, right. Everyone would just stop hitting...

He stuck his knee out, looks like no injury = no suspension. Lucky for Backes that contact was to Dermott’s thigh instead of knee. An injury and he’s gone for three.
Rubbish.

There was no intention to make a knee on knee contact there. If anything, he brings his skate further in towards his body in the lead up to the contact, and then turns his skate once Dermott is already half past him.

Dermott makes a very clear move left just as backes is trying to hit him body on body. Sure, it's a tripping minor, whatever, but no way should that be suspendable. The majority of leaf fans on reddit even acknowledged that wasn't that dirty, just a trip.

Rubbish.

There was no intention to make a knee on knee contact there. If anything, he brings his skate further in towards his body in the lead up to the contact, and then turns his skate once Dermott is already half past him.

Dermott makes a very clear move left just as backes is trying to hit him body on body. Sure, it's a tripping minor, whatever, but no way should that be suspendable. The majority of leaf fans on reddit even acknowledged that wasn't that dirty, just a trip.

I'm not buying what you are selling, Backes' knee is moving towards Dermott, away from Backs body, before contact (not a turn of the skate but that doesn't even matter). Contact is knee to thigh. Half a foot lower and it would have been months on the sideline for Dermott.

The call on the ice was "kneeing", but no injury = no suspension.

I'm not buying what you are selling, Backes' knee is moving towards Dermott, away from Backs body, before contact (not a turn of the skate but that doesn't even matter). Contact is knee to thigh. Half a foot lower and it would have been months on the sideline for Dermott.

The call on the ice was "kneeing", but no injury = no suspension.

The first two seconds of the slomo that you just linked shows backes pulling his right leg in towards his own body. Why would he do that if he was trying to blow out a guy's knee? Thanks for reiterating my point I guess?

The DoPS has still handed out fines for acts that they deem worthy of it. Injury or not.

The first two seconds of the slomo that you just linked shows backes pulling his right leg in towards his own body. Why would he do that if he was trying to blow out a guy's knee? Thanks for reiterating my point I guess?

The DoPS has still handed out fines for acts that they deem worthy of it. Injury or not.

In then out, not sure how in inward movement you keep referring to is relevant when the leg moves back out. Backes, and Dermott, got lucky.

In then out, not sure how in inward movement you keep referring to is relevant when the leg moves back out. Backes, and Dermott, got lucky.
How a player approaches contact in hockey is used pretty much all the time as an indicator of intent. Especially by the department of player safety. See the play that they just got forsberg for. They illustrated his body movement well before the contact as intent.

There are about 100 instances of body on body contact per hockey game which could have been a lot worse had the intention and the result been a lot different. I didn't realize the department of player safety were in the business of making phonecalls about contact that "couldve been really bad if the intent and result was different"

"In then out" is reciprocated. Not even the opposition's fans think it's dirty, the DoPS haven't suspended him for it or fined him for it, yet because you think he's dirty, he is. Right oh.

Last edited:
Looks like he was aiming for body on body and to put the leg between Dermott's legs rather than into them, but it was a pretty ugly attempt at it. Doubt he intentionally hit his leg, but he probably didn't try hard enough not to and went for a pretty risky play. As others said, only really worth two minutes still.

Looks like he was aiming for body on body and to put the leg between Dermott's legs rather than into them, but it was a pretty ugly attempt at it. Doubt he intentionally hit his leg, but he probably didn't try hard enough not to and went for a pretty risky play. As others said, only really worth two minutes still.

Spot on, which gets a suspension if the recipient of the hit gets a serious injury. That’s the way they operate. Both players got lucky.

Hopefully no more essays...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's no Dustin Brown..

Got out of jail there but happy to get back on the winners list. Blue Jackets battered us for the majority of the game

Burrows kneeing Taylor hall in the back of the head while he's down on the ice? There's an actual serious suspension coming for that one.

You can't even legally do that in mma.

Spot on, which gets a suspension if the recipient of the hit gets a serious injury. That’s the way they operate. Both players got lucky.

Except for the 20+ occasions this year the DoPS has handed down penalties when the player on the wrong side of the play hasn't had a serious injury.

So its not the way they operate at all.

Except for the 20+ occasions this year the DoPS has handed down penalties when the player on the wrong side of the play hasn't had a serious injury.

So its not the way they operate at all.

That's nothing close to what you are replying to...

Example:
Matt Martin --> Trevor Daley
Martin's poorly executed attempt at a hit results in leg-on-leg contact, the kneeing penalty resulted in Daley being injured, Martin gets a game even though DPOS states there was no malice in the hit.

That's nothing close to what you are replying to...

Example:
Matt Martin --> Trevor Daley
Martin's poorly executed attempt at a hit results in leg-on-leg contact, the kneeing penalty resulted in Daley being injured, Martin gets a game even though DPOS states there was no malice in the hit.
That was almost 3 years ago. He was also given a major and a game misconduct at the time. Not only did the DoPS assess that play differently, so did the referees on the ice at the time.

The play also had no similarities to the backes hit. The principle point of initial contact was the leg on leg.
Backes applies body contact at exactly the same time as when the legs collide with each other. Clumsy? sure. A minor? Sure. Not even close to the martin hit.

You said that the 'way the department of player safety operates' is punishing guys if the result is an injury. There are literally multitudes of examples this year alone of that not being the case, whether it is a fine or games. I don't need to go back 3 years.

Special ovation for Fleury at PPG.

AT&T Sports didn’t go to an ad for the tribute/ovation and the linesman delayed the restart by a minUte.

Was a great game. If Penguins turn up for playoffs how they played for parts of that game, they'll be hard to beat.

Vegas didn't stop with the pressure, Penguins just upped their speed of play to a crazy level to make Vegas's pressure game almost pointless. Before the stuff up that led to 5-3 (Le Tang taking on a player in defence when he had an easy outlet pass), it looked like Penguins would just keep dominating and win by a huge amount.

Was a great game. If Penguins turn up for playoffs how they played for parts of that game, they'll be hard to beat.

Vegas didn't stop with the pressure, Penguins just upped their speed of play to a crazy level to make Vegas's pressure game almost pointless. Before the stuff up that led to 5-3 (Le Tang taking on a player in defence when he had an easy outlet pass), it looked like Penguins would just keep dominating and win by a huge amount.
They might want to get some goaltending from Matt Murray once in a while..

You said that the 'way the department of player safety operates' is punishing guys if the result is an injury. There are literally multitudes of examples this year alone of that not being the case, whether it is a fine or games. I don't need to go back 3 years.

Taking into consideration of the injury resulting from a hit is always part of the process when determining a suspension.

Those type of suspensions are not mutually exclusive to suspensions that don’t result in injuries. I wouldn’t have thought that notion is too hard to comprehend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back