2017 AFLW NAB U18 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

BIG surprise.
VIc. has a TAC U 18 program -WA similar?
WA has a set up similar to colts football called the Rogers Cup which has 9 WAWFL clubs based on their WAFL counterparts except for Subiaco.
Coastal Titans is the only non WAFL equivalent. It is hoped Subi and Coastals will eventually come together under the one umbrella as a club.

BIG surprise.
VIc. has a TAC U 18 program -WA similar?
At this stage, the order at these champs looks to be, Vic Country, Qld, WA, Vic Metro. Part of the reason for that is that the Vic girls now have a TAC cup setup that mirrors the boys, and this resulted in zone changes that made country stronger, and Metro weaker.

The Vic country Qld game looked a high quality game, will be interesting to see what happens when WA plays country, and Qld plays metro.

At this stage, the order at these champs looks to be, Vic Country, Qld, WA, Vic Metro. Part of the reason for that is that the Vic girls now have a TAC cup setup that mirrors the boys, and this resulted in zone changes that made country stronger, and Metro weaker.

The Vic country Qld game looked a high quality game, will be interesting to see what happens when WA plays country, and Qld plays metro.
The U 18 Melbourne girls far exceeded (at least to 2017!) the country girls in not only sheer nos., but also skill levels. Even with the addition of Vic. Metro players from outlying "semi-rural" areas of Melb./ close to Melb. to the Vic. Country team, to knock off Vic. Metro is extraordinary.

Can you amplify your comment "looked a high quality game" re Vic. Country v. Qld.?

Are the huge regd. nos. (bigger than Vic.) of Qld. teenage girls now producing a Queensland competitive advantage at the elite U18 level? If so, Brisbane Lions AFLW, being the only Qld. team, may become a dominant powerhouse in the AFLW (even with the Draft).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The U 18 Melbourne girls far exceeded (at least to 2017!) the country girls in not only sheer nos., but also skill levels. Even with the addition of Vic. Metro players from outlying "semi-rural" areas of Melb./ close to Melb. to the Vic. Country team, to knock off Vic. Metro is extraordinary.

Can you amplify your comment "looked a high quality game" re Vic. Country v. Qld.?

Are the huge regd. nos. (bigger than Vic.) of Qld. teenage girls now producing a Queensland competitive advantage at the elite U18 level? If so, Brisbane Lions AFLW, being the only Qld. team, may become a dominant powerhouse in the AFLW (even with the Draft).
I meant lots of footy that would not have looked out of place in a male U18s game. Clean marking, run and carry, good chains of posession. There was still congested play, but it was because of defensive pressure largely, not primarily due to skill deficiency (fumbling, poor positioning and handballs get etc).

I think where Qld fall down is that there is still a bit of a gap between best and worst player.

They just finished against Vic Country and were comfortably beaten, but I think country will be the standout team of the comp, they have speed and skill, but also size.

Qld u 18s will produce enough good players to supply the lions, but I wouldn't rush into a second team yet. Lions still have quite a few non Qld players helping them be competitive.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Another win to the Allies, this time over WA
With the vast majority from SA, surely they will return to the national champs in 2018

Really hard to read the comp, results are really unpredictable. Allies squads 3 best players probably Jones, Scheer and Ponter, but Scheer and Ponter dont seem to be playing, so it's especially impressive.

Really hard to read the comp, results are really unpredictable. Allies squads 3 best players probably Jones, Scheer and Ponter, but Scheer and Ponter dont seem to be playing, so it's especially impressive.

I believe Scheer is injured

The whole comp is hard to read because it is a half-arsed effort.

SA dominated their two Round 1 games but were not included in the main carnival this week
Allies have been slapped together now but the other teams in the carnival have already played Round 1games Qld, NSW & WA played a round robin, and the two Vic teams have played each other once
Now they play 3 games each in Round 2 with no GF
If Vic Country and Allies both win on Friday, three teams (Vic Country, Allies and SA) will be undefeated because none of them have played each other.
It seems like just a series of matches for the recruiters with no real other purpose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back