VFL 2017 Sandringham News

Remove this Banner Ad

19 touches for Paddy. Surprised. Seemed to get better as the game went on

Being able to turn around a slow/poor start is a good effort in itself imo. Shows that instead of dropping his head he just pushes through and forces himself back into the game. Hopefully that determination takes him to the place we need him to be.

Being able to turn around a slow/poor start is a good effort in itself imo. Shows that instead of dropping his head he just pushes through and forces himself back into the game. Hopefully that determination takes him to the place we need him to be.
I think one thing Paddy does have is bucket loads of character.
He will make it I have no doubt

Freeman did not impress at all.
Marshall was definitely the stand out player Imo. Must of taken 10 first half marks and most were contested.
Paddy went in very hard and impressed with his physicality more so than the 3 goals.
Savage was a class above.
Wright is an underrated goal sneak and I'd rather him than Lonie in the seniors atm.
Rice had a great second half, but with his build I can't see him as an AFL player.
Brandon White tried hard, but again can't see where he can fit in in the seniors.
Sinclair good game, again prefer him to Lonie.
Battle did some good things early until injured. Knock to the calf I think.
Koby Stevens good game. Ready made replacement for Armo.
Pierce was far better than Holmes.

Agree with most of that except for --

* Savage. Took a while to warm into it, still doing his lollipop kicks, a crucial turnover in the last cost us a goal, but overall a good game. Definitely not a class above. I would only say Sinclair, Marshall and Stevens looked like a class above, in that order.

* I thought Freeman was OK, considering. He's a ways off it but I think I can see where he's heading. I think.

* I can see Rice making AFL.

You need to step it up

04HsIatQTa8cZctkYMo1W98A9BkbGTl2ryFhTXkxQGRGs1aoZySio9oyd46l1UYPoaoLY7xdHE3N59PAoUaFOGcA84HFmT41-vys0SCHu1a9Vqwi8EbA1uJn=w490-h276-nc

That's hilarious. No chance though I like to keep at least a degree of the wolf in her!

Agree with most of that except for --

* Savage. Took a while to warm into it, still doing his lollipop kicks, a crucial turnover in the last cost us a goal, but overall a good game. Definitely not a class above. I would only say Sinclair, Marshall and Stevens looked like a class above, in that order.

* I thought Freeman was OK, considering. He's a ways off it but I think I can see where he's heading. I think.

* I can see Rice making AFL.
I'm a Savage fan, think he is hard done by in regards to his courage. Went in very hard today and took a couple of big hits. Yeah he can sometimes bomb it high and down the line, but generally has a pretty good kick on him, also has that extra time to dispose the ball than most players.

It is seriously amazing how a number of people can watch the same game and have completely different opinions. Guess that is why eyewitness testimony is considered pretty useless. Anyway, I went down today and my thoughts on the game are below. Hopefully it helps those wondering who is actually on the fringes.
Great summary there Enclosed_Animal....very informative.....especially about Paddy.....

Thanks.

I more than a little flabbergasted with all the bucket tipping on him that I read on here.

Patience folks....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is seriously amazing how a number of people can watch the same game and have completely different opinions. Guess that is why eyewitness testimony is considered pretty useless. Anyway, I went down today and my thoughts on the game are below. Hopefully it helps those wondering who is actually on the fringes.

From a team perspective

The word is frustrating. For anyone who hasn't seen Sandy live, it comes with exactly the same frustrations as watching the AFL side. Terrible delivery inside 50, poor conversion and struggled in the middle.

Also, Sandy will simply not do well this year if we keep playing 3 ruckman size players. Either we play three 200cm+ players for development, or we structure up in a way that will win us games. Can't do both. Too tall on the forward line, and no quality smalls to finish the crumbs. Reckon Long, Lonie or Minchi would have kicked a bag today.

From an individual perspective

Really really good news first.

This is summed up in two words ... Brandon White. I am perplexed by the lack of appreciation in here! For me the quality of this kid was head, shoulders and half a chest above anyone else out there. His boot is a thing of beauty and his hands are great. Reads the play well, and a couple of grabs he took floating across a pack just screamed 'I belong in the AFL'. Still looked raw at times, and did make some blues as the only one trying to make things happen. But develop his tank and decision making some more and 6-18 months and this kid could be anything. Cant remember who picked him early on this board, but I tip my hat to you good sir.

Despite all the 'sky is falling' garbage, I thought the other good news was Paddy. For anyone old enough, do you remember what it was like looking at a player sitting in the hole in front of Plugger, and thinking he is going to regret this? At least 3 times today Paddy put that bloke into tomorrow, and he has one hell of a presence on the field that you can only appreciate live. And for anyone who wonders why didn't he dominate? Got the service our forwards have been getting in the AFL. Seriously, I stopped counting the amount of times it was kicked at his feet (or over his head) when I got to 7. Now add the fact that he had a minimum of two, and often 3 opponents on him. Still in the end he had an 'almost' day (and still kicked 3 and worked up and down the ground quite a bit more than you would think). When it all comes together he will really be something. Is AFL quality and then some, we just need patience! Problem is, none of us have any!! Thank god our club does.

Other pieces of good news.

Both the Irish boys can play. Seriously looked at home out there! Especially Connellan. Might just have plucked something out of nothing here.

Marshall was really good. Now before anyone gets too carried away, he played solely as a forward and benefited massively from having Paddy drawing defenders away from him. And he needs to build a tank (Pierce / Holmes did the rucking and he still looked more gassed more than anyone). And White put it down his throat straight in front (twice) in a way that meant if he didn't mark it he would have swallowed it. BUT, he made the most of the opportunities he was given (other than the shot on halftime), which is all you can ask. For me he is ahead of both Pierce and Holmes already with his skills, and looks really likely. Coming along really nicely, but not the second coming he has been made out to be just yet. Something to get excited about long term.

Baily Rice. Jeez this kid is brave. Think Geary level courage going back with the flight. Can jump too, and his boot is of the quality you need deep in the backline. Nothing wrong with letting him develop in the VFL for a while, and long-term I think he replaces Gears in that role. Big tick from me.

The 'Im conflicted' category

Cmon down DMac, Sav and Sincs. All have AFL skills. All have AFL exposure. All were good. All will have good stats. BUT none were great or really impacted the game. None screamed pick me and that is what you want from them! Sav - not enough of it, and probably the most disappointing of the three given his age. Sincs - very neat but didn't hurt the opposition as much as you would hope. Dmac - probably the best of the three, but needs to learn how to win the ball easier for his development. All get a pass. None get an A.

Nathan Freeman watch

Good news is he moved freely. But, I don't think we know how to use him at all. Looks like the type of player who will benefit feeding off a really good contested midfield. Problem is, we are about the worst contested midfield around. On the flip side he also didn't go in and assert himself either. Worth persisting with definitely, but still a fair way off. Flashes of it though!

New boys

Koby Stevens copped a really big head high hit with his head over the ball. Good size. Looks and plays like that bodyguard midfielder, and him going off hurt us. Nothing to change my opinion that he is a solid get and valuable depth. Pass.

Ed Phillips did some nice things and got a little bit of it. Also a good size. Too early to make any judgements but wasn't our worst.

Battle. Injured his knee early but in good news was doing some run throughs on the boundary and could move okay laterally. Don't think its anything long term (fingers crossed).

Disappointments

Nathan Wright did what he does in the AFL as a forward. Went into the midfield and cracked into the contest hard. Love his heart. That's about it

As for the ruckman, I don't want to be unkind. Holmesy needs to play Dev league (that's the best I can say). Pierce tried hard but looked proppy. Realistically we have two rucks on our list anywhere close to AFL. Piece a longshot and Holmesy on borrowed time.

Kudos

Geary, Acres and Steele for coming down (and anyone else I didn't see). Good team support!!

Roast

Umpiring was appalling. Seriously woeful. If the number 33 umpire is reading this: you are an oxygen thief and an embarrassment to a job full of people I consider a lower form of human being than parking inspectors or Collingwood supporters. Absolute muppet of the highest order.

Question?

Can anybody explain to me how Taylor Hunt is still on an AFL list? Horrible horrible footballer
Agree with most of this ad good points re Paddy.

Good to get different views.

I liked the way he got pinged for HTB, came off angry and belted the side of the dugout.

After that came out and was much more competitive.
Loved it when he ironed out campaigners in front of him on the lead.

From a team perspective

The word is frustrating. For anyone who hasn't seen Sandy live, it comes with exactly the same frustrations as watching the AFL side. Terrible delivery inside 50, poor conversion and struggled in the middle.

Also, Sandy will simply not do well this year if we keep playing 3 ruckman size players. Either we play three 200cm+ players for development, or we structure up in a way that will win us games. Can't do both. Too tall on the forward line, and no quality smalls to finish the crumbs. Reckon Long, Lonie or Minchi would have kicked a bag today.

From an individual perspective

Really really good news first.

This is summed up in two words ... Brandon White. I am perplexed by the lack of appreciation in here! For me the quality of this kid was head, shoulders and half a chest above anyone else out there. His boot is a thing of beauty and his hands are great. Reads the play well, and a couple of grabs he took floating across a pack just screamed 'I belong in the AFL'. Still looked raw at times, and did make some blues as one of the only Sandy boys trying to make things happen. But develop his tank and decision making some more and in 6-18 months this kid could be anything. Huge ceiling! Cant remember who picked him early on this board, but I tip my hat to you good sir.

Despite all the 'sky is falling' garbage, I thought the other good news was Paddy. For anyone old enough, do you remember what it was like looking at a player sitting in the hole in front of Plugger, and thinking he is going to regret this? At least 3 times today Paddy put that bloke into tomorrow, and he has one hell of a presence on the field that you can only appreciate live. And for anyone who wonders why didn't he dominate? Got the service our forwards have been getting in the AFL. Seriously, I stopped counting the amount of times it was kicked at his feet (or over his head) when I got to 7. Now add the fact that he had a minimum of two, and often 3 opponents on him. Still in the end he had an 'almost' day (and still kicked 3 and worked up and down the ground quite a bit more than you would think). When it all comes together he will really be something. Is AFL quality and then some, we just need patience! Problem is, none of us have any!! Thank God our club does.

Other pieces of good news.

Both the Irish boys can play. Seriously looked at home out there! Especially Connellan. Might just have plucked something out of nothing here.

Marshall was really good. Now before anyone gets too carried away, he played solely as a forward and benefited massively from having Paddy drawing defenders away from him. And he needs to build a tank (Pierce / Holmes did the rucking and he still looked more gassed than anyone). And White put it down his throat straight in front (twice) in a way that meant if he didn't mark it he would have swallowed it. BUT, he made the most of the opportunities he was given (other than the miss on halftime which really hurt us), which is all you can ask. For me he is Flemington straight ahead of both Pierce and Holmes with his skills, and looks really likely. Coming along really nicely, but not the second coming he has been made out to be just yet. Something to get excited about long term though.

Baily Rice. Jeez this kid is brave. Think Geary level courage going back with the flight. Can jump too, and his boot is of the quality you need deep in the backline. Nothing wrong with letting him develop in the VFL for a while, and long-term I think he replaces Gears in that role. Big tick from me.

The 'Im conflicted' category

Cmon down DMac, Sav and Sincs. All have AFL skills. All have AFL exposure. All were good. All will have good stats. BUT none were great or really impacted the game. None screamed pick me and that is what you want from them! Sav - not enough of it, and probably the most disappointing of the three given his age. Sincs - very neat but didn't hurt the opposition as much as you would hope. Dmac - probably the best of the three, but needs to learn how to win the ball easier for his development. All get a pass. None get an A.

Nathan Freeman watch

Good news is he moved freely. But, I don't think we know how to use him at all. Looks like the type of player who will benefit feeding off a really good contested midfield. Problem is, we are about the worst contested midfield around. On the flip side he also didn't go in and assert himself either. Worth persisting with definitely, but still a fair way off. Flashes of it though!

New boys

Koby Stevens copped a really big head high hit with his head over the ball. Good size. Looks and plays like that bodyguard midfielder, and him going off hurt us. Nothing to change my opinion that he is a solid get and valuable depth. Pass.

Ed Phillips did some nice things and got a little bit of it. Also a good size. Too early to make any judgements but wasn't our worst.

Battle. Injured his knee early but in good news was doing some run throughs on the boundary and could move okay laterally. Don't think its anything long term (fingers crossed).

Disappointments

Nathan Wright did what he does in the AFL as a forward. Went into the midfield and cracked into the contest hard. Love his heart. That's about it

As for the ruckman, I don't want to be unkind. Holmesy needs to play Dev league (that's the best I can say). Pierce tried hard but looked proppy. Realistically we have two rucks on our list anywhere close to AFL. Piece a longshot and Holmesy on borrowed time.

Kudos

Geary, Acres and Steele for coming down (and anyone else I didn't see). Good team support!!

Roast

Umpiring was appalling. Seriously woeful. If the number 33 umpire is reading this: you are an oxygen thief and an embarrassment to a job full of people I consider a lower form of human being than parking inspectors or Collingwood supporters. Absolute muppet of the highest order.

Question?

Can anybody explain to me how Taylor Hunt is still on an AFL list? Horrible horrible footballer

Good post.

On Brandon White -- I didn't have a handle on who he actually was!! I was able to isolate Rice but not White (have always gotten them mixed up). Looking at the Sandy site though, #65, he was definitely in the midst of things.

I also have faith in Paddy, as mentioned earlier, saw a different player come out after half time. I think he can make it, NEEDS to play aggressive and I reckon he needs to get fitter // ripped! Let's see what we see next season, but there's plenty there and think he'll play seniors again this year and even do well.

After today, I also rate Sincs, Pierce and Stevens a lot more highly than you! I reckon Pierce could make it and Sincs was most influential player on the ground for a good while.

I'm a Savage fan, think he is hard done by in regards to his courage. Went in very hard today and took a couple of big hits. Yeah he can sometimes bomb it high and down the line, but generally has a pretty good kick on him, also has that extra time to dispose the ball than most players.
I think he is ok as well, but who do you take out of the back 6 to bring him in ?

I think he is ok as well, but who do you take out of the back 6 to bring him in ?
The way the backline played last week.

No one comes out for Savage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back