2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would we take Hodge for 1 year if it means he takes Claye Beams' spot on the list?

Personally, I would, but it would stir some earnest discussion.
They are not in the same conversation as players, even a well matured - half done Hodge.

If we are worried about players who will be part of our next Premiership push then we should get rid of Beams, Zorko, Rocky, Martin and any other players aged 26 and over because we are a few years away from winning a premiership.
think our earliest crack would be 2020 still expect all of those bar Martin to be around obviously this based on Rocky staying.

I still wonder if Bewick could be used more forward. Similar to Jamie Elliot.
I like this idea. Doesn't mind a 'hanger' and does have speed and goal sense. The thing with Bewick is he is such an enigma. Having gone in to bat for him this year, I am a bit 'gun shy,' given his lack of consistency. I am hoping he comes good, but if he were traded or delisted when he was out of contract, I would say that he had his chances and that was that.

I still wonder if Bewick could be used more forward. Similar to Jamie Elliot.

It's where he played initially and never really provided much consistent impact up there - he averaged about two shots on goal per game in 2012 and 2013. It was after the failure of that initial approach that we started seeing him moved around on to wings or as a tagger.

Thinking aloud here but some sort of three-way deal where the nucleus is Kennedy and Schache would sit pretty comfortably with me*.

*if of course Schache does want to leave

Kennedy will likely be traded for a second rounder. Definitely not worth it for us.

Could Hodge's on field leadership, if even playing for 1 year, show our team how you have to play to win a premiership?

I think yes. He doesn't have to be part of our next premiership team but he could play a big part in helping our players develop to win a premiership.
Not as a player but would be great to have in our coaching ranks, can achieve the same thing without taking games away from withers etc.

http://sen.lu/2xm5n4U

BRISBANE "KEEN" ON RETIRED HAWK CHAMP: MCCLURE
BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Is Luke Hodge the man who can lift the Lions? It's a left-field scenario but one that has been tried before.

In 1995 Doug Hawkins played 21 games for Fitzroy, including making his 300th appearance. Dermott Brereton the fiery centre half-forward switched to Sydney, then Collingwood, after winning five premierships with the Hawks. Nicky ‘Elvis’ Winmar kicked kicked the third most goals for the Bulldogs in 1999 after crossing from the Dogs.

While the above scenarios are different to the Lions' interest in Hodge - who is wanted for his leadership and ultimately coaching prowess - stars crossing to rival clubs late in their career is not new. Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis are living proof.

SEN news breaker Sam McClure says that it’s something the Brisbane Lions wouldn’t be against, in a role similar to Mitchell at the West Coast Eagles this year.

“Two weeks ago Mark Evans confirmed the Gold Coast Suns had approached Hodge (and) now the Brisbane Lions are very keen at looking at Hodge for a position both on and off-field,” he told SEN Breakfast.

"I’m not saying he is going, I’m saying they (Brisbane) are keen on it.

“He hasn’t signed his media contracts (for 2018) yet. Make of it what you will.

"He’s got close relationships with (Gold Coast Suns CEO) Mark Evans and (Brisbane coach) Chris Fagan, both clubs who are in need of a senior leader."

McClure previously reported Hodge was being targeted by the Suns in a similar manner to the Lions.

There have been varying levels of success for similar moves throughout the years. Hawthorn's decision to bring Port Adelaide premeirship player Stuart Dew out of retirement in 2008 was originally met with raised eyebrows, however his outstanding performance in the Grand Final that year proved doubters wrong.

However flops have been common. One of the most notable being Carlton's decision to give away a first and fourth round draft pick for Collingwood champion Mick McGuane, who went on to play an uninspiring three games for the Blues in 1997.

The first round pick the Magpies recieved was eventually used in a trade deal to bring star forward Anthony Rocca to the club from Sydney.

It is doubtful that Hodge extends his playing career but, if the past is anything to go by, it’s not completely out of the realms of possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://sen.lu/2xm5n4U

BRISBANE "KEEN" ON RETIRED HAWK CHAMP: MCCLURE
BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Is Luke Hodge the man who can lift the Lions? It's a left-field scenario but one that has been tried before.

In 1995 Doug Hawkins played 21 games for Fitzroy, including making his 300th appearance. Dermott Brereton the fiery centre half-forward switched to Sydney, then Collingwood, after winning five premierships with the Hawks. Nicky ‘Elvis’ Winmar kicked kicked the third most goals for the Bulldogs in 1999 after crossing from the Dogs.

While the above scenarios are different to the Lions' interest in Hodge - who is wanted for his leadership and ultimately coaching prowess - stars crossing to rival clubs late in their career is not new. Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis are living proof.

SEN news breaker Sam McClure says that it’s something the Brisbane Lions wouldn’t be against, in a role similar to Mitchell at the West Coast Eagles this year.

“Two weeks ago Mark Evans confirmed the Gold Coast Suns had approached Hodge (and) now the Brisbane Lions are very keen at looking at Hodge for a position both on and off-field,” he told SEN Breakfast.

"I’m not saying he is going, I’m saying they (Brisbane) are keen on it.

“He hasn’t signed his media contracts (for 2018) yet. Make of it what you will.

"He’s got close relationships with (Gold Coast Suns CEO) Mark Evans and (Brisbane coach) Chris Fagan, both clubs who are in need of a senior leader."

McClure previously reported Hodge was being targeted by the Suns in a similar manner to the Lions.

There have been varying levels of success for similar moves throughout the years. Hawthorn's decision to bring Port Adelaide premeirship player Stuart Dew out of retirement in 2008 was originally met with raised eyebrows, however his outstanding performance in the Grand Final that year proved doubters wrong.

However flops have been common. One of the most notable being Carlton's decision to give away a first and fourth round draft pick for Collingwood champion Mick McGuane, who went on to play an uninspiring three games for the Blues in 1997.

The first round pick the Magpies recieved was eventually used in a trade deal to bring star forward Anthony Rocca to the club from Sydney.

It is doubtful that Hodge extends his playing career but, if the past is anything to go by, it’s not completely out of the realms of possibility.
Typical of McClure to spout nonsense like "He hasn't signed his media contracts (for 2018) yet. Make of it what you will" The guy will have only just finished up his main Hawthorn commitments and I am sure he is keeping pretty busy with all his current commitments. It's a struggle to watch 360 when this halfwit and King come on the TV. Robbo is bad enough but at least Gerard Whatley is there to even the balance.

Typical of McClure to spout nonsense like "He hasn't signed his media contracts (for 2018) yet. Make of it what you will" The guy will have only just finished up his main Hawthorn commitments and I am sure he is keeping pretty busy with all his current commitments. It's a struggle to watch 360 when this halfwit and King come on the TV. Robbo is bad enough but at least Gerard Whatley is there to even the balance.

Different McClure(s).

Different McClure(s).

Yeah Sam is a second generation sports reporter. His dad also was a sports journo for the Age.

I think Hodge would be a disaster.

He played some important games this year, but even at his best he can't jump or bend his knees anymore. By the last two games he couldn't run.

He can't stand an opposing forward, he can't provide overlap run, he can't help our key defenders in the air, he can't win the ball at ground level. There's no reason to think any of these things are going to be any better after he's aged yet another year.

So he'll give us two things. An outlet from the backline - for which we already have Witherden and Rich - and leadership and direction that we're badly in need of. I'm sure it's that last one that we want him for, but I'm really not sure that with all his weaknesses he's going to make our backline more cohesive and stronger overall.

Most likely he plays a few games and then retires mid season.

Mclures info is usually pretty good. He has gotten word early on several things, his biggest win recently was breaking the AFLPA agreement early with fine details.

I think he is just having a fresh airey here though, just the Fages connection.

Also don't rule out the Suns who have bucketloads of cap space and no one to spend it on.

No need to move out of his new house, no need to move the wife away from family. And I honestly believe that, with what he has learn't from the last couple of years, his leadership would be invaluable to the Suns. Give them more character than Gablett anyway.

The fly in the ointment of them making a big money offer is that they are the team that would suffer most if we got band 1 compensation. That being said, IMO they are the team that needs LDU's grunt most of all - and if they believed we would not take him either 1 or 2 ....................

I think Hodge would be a disaster.

He played some important games this year, but even at his best he can't jump or bend his knees anymore. By the last two games he couldn't run.

He can't stand an opposing forward, he can't provide overlap run, he can't help our key defenders in the air, he can't win the ball at ground level. There's no reason to think any of these things are going to be any better after he's aged yet another year.

So he'll give us two things. An outlet from the backline - for which we already have Witherden and Rich - and leadership and direction that we're badly in need of. I'm sure it's that last one that we want him for, but I'm really not sure that with all his weaknesses he's going to make our backline more cohesive and stronger overall.

Most likely he plays a few games and then retires mid season.
I think most of the experienced players who've made a positive contribution to younger sides have been forced out eg. Kelly at Essendon, Cross at Melbourne. Hodge has already retired so I'm not sure the hunger would be there.

I think you're right that he wouldn't necessarily give us something we don't already have, by the end of the season Rich was doing pretty well in the sort of role we'd want Hodge to play.

You have to love the way SEN do a story on a story by McClure.
All SEN's news stories are what rando ex-footballers and wannabe journos say on the radio.

You would think only teams challenging for a flag in the immediate future would offer that cash... who does that leave ? Crows? Dogs? Bombers?

Certainly think he could fit in with both Melbourne & St Kilda too. Both missed finals by a whisker. A fit Rocky is an A grade inside mid, who can also play forward and usually towels up his man and kicks goals. Obviously doesn't have the outside game & pace, but I reckon his forward prowess is a big positive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back