2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was almost surreal when we won the premiership.

I was drunk for a week.
I remember the day after at the gabba. Just being almost dumbfounded and commenting to a mate that it just goes to show that to win a premiership you didn't need to be the best team of the season or even the best team of the finals, you needed to be the best team on the day and we were (after half time).

I loved it but never in my wildest dreams did I think we were the best team or that it would lead to another 3 gfs

On HTC 2PS6200 using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Great post Notiondown. A coffee, Friday morning and a positive post about our young team and all us die hard supporters is a great start for the day:):)
Thanks to all, for the memories, has been a great 5 minute read to lighten the spirits.
We have got a great young list of boys who want to continually improve themselves and get better with every game as stated many a time by Fagan this year. We will improve, it is just a matter of time. But I am bullish that we will have a pretty good year this year and build off what was gained this year. Hodge in the backline as on field coach will help all the young defenders and I can already picture Witho following him around like a little puppy dog. Wanting to learn all he can.
It is a good time for the club and we should all embrace it and follow and support like we never have before because The next 2 years is the most important time for this club and if we can get through that and retain, then we will be away! Lets have faith!

So guessing Eagles becomes a Cat A rookie.
Wouldn’t be in our interests to do that. Have delisted 3 Cat B rookies (Grewar, William, Hanley). Keep Eagles as Cat B and add 2 more from Queensland zone, Irish zone. With Skinner’s injury Eagles can play from round 1 anyway. I think we will only have 3 Cat B rookies, instead of 4 allowed last year because of The Recruit.

If we made Eagles Cat A we wouldn’t be able to add Hamish Bradshaw or anyone else as a rookie, as we already have 3 Cat A rookies.

Nice post @notliodown.

Re 2001

Not only was the start of the year a shambles, there were some really dark times later that season

I well remember trudging out of Optus Oval (then Princes Park) on a bleak Melbourne evening after witnessing my beloved Lions being absolutely smashed by Carlton by 74 points

That was Round 8, 19 May 2001

We were a joke. Cocky blues supporters were jeering and laughing at us. I dont think I've ever felt a deeper sense of despair as a Brisbane Lions or Bears supporter, We were going nowhere, we were a rabble. Our players looked dispirited and almost disinterested. Leigh was a has been, too old, dining out on his past glories as coach of Collingwood. The Sunday Melbourne papers the next morning were writing us off as failed experiments, destined to be nothing other than whipping boys and cannon fodder for the "traditional" AFL clubs.

We lost our next game against the Crows at the Gabba by a very narrow margin, beat the "invincible" Bombers the next week in the "if it bleeds" game and never lost another game that season.

I think that somehow there may be this idea that 2001 was a glory ride for from start to finish.

Far from it.

Something great grew from a total train wreck and that's why, like you I will always have faith that it can be done again.

The Doggies in 2016 and Richmond 2017 are further evidence that it can be done.

It is possible to turn things around ....and fast

I contnue to live in hope:footy:
Guys like Ratten, Kouta and Camporeale toyed with us that day. And the Carlton crowd at Princes Park always had that sickening sense of entitlement which was especially hard to take when you are being flogged.

Down by by 20 just before half time.

Lynch kicks a pressure goal to get us back to -14.

We are at the Southbank Piazza in Brisbane watching the live feed on multiple big screens.

The mood amongst the 2000 strong supporters at half time is hopeful rather than confident, The beers are plentiful

The Bombers throw everything including several kitchen sinks at us in the first 8-10 minutes of the third quarter. The damwall is close to bursting. Most of us are hushed with a sense of impending dread.

Somehow we resist and hold the line . Somehow we manage to sweep the ball downfield through an impossibly unlikely chain of handballs and from memory Marcus Ashcroft tops it off by kicking a goal from a totally mongrel punt from 50 that is also his first possession of the entire game!!!

Then we never look like losing and the crowd goes wild and the beers are even more plentiful and when Luke Power slots a running shot from 40 out in the last quarter to put us 38 points in front it's all over and we are Premiers and complete strangers hug and kiss and pinch themselves in case they are dreaming.

And we are not even at the game.

An impossible dream came true.

So don't anyone tell me I'm not allowed to hope to experience that feeling again before I depart.

The day I give up on that hope is the day I give up following this club

GO YOU LIONS!!!!
I remember travelling 400kms to watch the 2001 GF in a country pub(Esperance) with 3 mates. The event room was full of about 200 Essendon supporters and as far as I could see I was the only Brissy supporter. My mates were eagles but they rallied with me... aaah was such a magnificent day.

Getting to see the GF live was an achievement in itself - we had a mate line up for 6 hours for tickets, we took 3 flights from CQ, slept on peoples floors, pub crawled our way to the ground... Geez it was an awesome trip!!

Then I got dragged out on the MCG at 1/4 time to be interviewed live on the big screens - all because I was drinking a bottle of Coke because I'd had enough beer by then! Felt like 95000 people alright when you looked up! He asked me as a Lions supporter was I confident at 1/4 time and I said our 2nd halves had been our best parts all year so yeah I was ok with where we were at. 2 out of the 4 of us were Bomber supporters - didn't they give me heaps over that. They were very confident at that stage.

The rest as they say is history. The Lions song on repeat for what seemed like hours was just bloody brilliant. Mind you those 2 bombers supporters really didn't like it much!

s**t that was a great day!

You're right, things are stacked against us... and that's before we kick the odd own goal ourselves. Despite the A, it's still a game slanted to the VFL. 14 out of the 18 clubs come from VFL/AFL heartland states. The amount of potential draftees every year is heavy stacked towards those states as well. If we really dig into the system and the stats none of us would support the Lions. The odds are against us in so many ways and so many levels that on an unemotional level no one in their right mind would give us a chance.

But for me it's exactly for those reasons I've been a member of this club for almost 20 years.

History makes most A grade players. It certainly makes premiership players. Analysing our list and ranking our players is only ever a snap shot of the here and now. It's certainly not proof of where those players will be in 1 or 2 or 3 years time. It's easy to dismiss the improvement in our players this year as them getting back on track.

But the reality is with more time, more guidance, more experience and more maturity both physically and mentally the Mayes, Robertson, Taylor, Bastinac, Rich, Walker, Zorko, McStay, Allison improvements could well be continual instead of fleeting. We are still young, and inexperienced.

In 2001 the start of our year was a shambles. We lost a string of games we should have won. I was adamant it was another wasted year. I looked at the Scotts who were tough but their skills were questionable, Lynch who could hardly see a game through, Power and Lappin annoyed hell out of me with flashes of brilliance but plenty of butchery with it, Pike was a castoff, Leppitsch was a nomad, Brown was off the field more than on... I was sure we were going no where. We had stars for sure... but not a team of them. Not at that point. Looking back at the 2001 yearbook there were some dismal failures on our list.

Now we are hearing of the struggles those players had with the same issues we confront today like homesickness I realise very little has changed. We had to take a group of what could have easily been described as B graders, lots of low to middling draft picks, a few zone selections, players forced up here by a merger... and make success with them. No one that I knew of had the slightest inkling of what the next 4 years would bring.

I'm not for a minute suggesting this current team is a premiership one. I'm sure for all the reasons you mention it will change. But looking back, one of the biggest parts we've lacked in recent times, was a strong, united, driven and experienced "off field" side of the club. We had it then. And I believe we again have it now. We focus so much on the players - and rightly so. But the ability to mould them, improve them and keep them comes off the field.

Call me naive, but I believe if you create an environment where people belong, feel part of something and are proud of it, anything is possible. And I believe that a lot of the decisions made this trade period were centered on that very thing. And for a lot of reasons known only to those inside the club.

If we can build a club with the same passion and pride we used to have, we give ourselves the best chance to retain, improve and create Brisbane Lions "citizens" that will believe their best chance of success is with us. And once that happens, it's almost impossible for us to be a contender once again.
Good post, very true mate. Now, if only we were the only team trying to build passion and pride, we'd be a cert :p

I live in hope, but I think that we have less wastage available to us than most other clubs. So when we serve up incredibly poor trades like this period (there are those defending the trades, but I don't think I've seen anyone say that they were GOOD trades), it turns us from a long shot into a very long shot. Down the bottom this long, and in my opinion we have just 2 A graders who have more than 2-3 years in them (Harris and Hippy). Hopeful for the development of some more. Really think Berry could be something special. But others - I don't see where it's going to come from.

Then again, I never thought Zorko would be more than a reliable B-grader, and I was wrong about that. Time makes fools of us all. I'd love it if 12 months from now, we could pull out my negative posts from this week and laugh at how ridiculously wrong I was.

Good post, very true mate. Now, if only we were the only team trying to build passion and pride, we'd be a cert :p

I live in hope, but I think that we have less wastage available to us than most other clubs. So when we serve up incredibly poor trades like this period (there are those defending the trades, but I don't think I've seen anyone say that they were GOOD trades), it turns us from a long shot into a very long shot. Down the bottom this long, and in my opinion we have just 2 A graders who have more than 2-3 years in them (Harris and Hippy). Hopeful for the development of some more. Really think Berry could be something special. But others - I don't see where it's going to come from.

Then again, I never thought Zorko would be more than a reliable B-grader, and I was wrong about that. Time makes fools of us all. I'd love it if 12 months from now, we could pull out my negative posts from this week and laugh at how ridiculously wrong I was.

I guarantee you that nobody wants this more than me. Not because I want you to be wrong because I understand why you feel like you do, but to at least change the way supporters such as yourself think with all the negativity. (no disrespect intended) If our players & coach's thought the same as you, we would not be in the competition let alone have an attitude that would allow us the chance of improving. I'm seeing our club going through massive change starting at the end of 2016 & 90% of it all positive. Sure we will sometimes take 2 steps forward & then 1 step back, but we are on the improve. No doubt.

aside from the game my favorite memory of 2001 is running into Paul Roos in the street at about 10pm that night, me well drunk and giving him a hug.

he was at the time (from memory) not affiliated with Sydney, I think he started being assistant coach the next year, and senior coach 2003 but he had clearly enjoyed the day.

I kicked 26 straight once in the back yard against my little brother........before half time!

I'm entering the PSD

Confidence is high!
Reminds me of the time I hit 400 on Xmas day against my cousins when I was 11 and they where 6. I must be a chance for the Boxing Day Test

Really, really, REALLY don't want Hartung.

Only upside to him is that he will take the whipping boy pressure off everyone else. The way he plays will drive people absolutely bonkers.

Apparently we have put a coaching group together to add a bit of polish to his game so his finish is right....they're called the "Tung Oils"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But then he was a very good junior...worth a lifeline to turn his act around?
Yeah, but Richmond fans mostly think he's chubby and one dimensional. It'd be like a different version of Josh Green - even less productive offensively.

I'm going to assume that means rookieing both for the time being, given they're talking about them in the same terms.
Definitely possible that they both become rookies. Actually seems most likely to me. Otherwise we would have to offer Claye a 2yr contract on the senior list, wouldn't we? Do you know if Claye can be a Queensland zone selection (Cat B) or would he have to be a Cat A rookie because of his previous career with us?

Definitely possible that they both become rookies. Actually seems most likely to me. Otherwise we would have to offer Claye a 2yr contract on the senior list, wouldn't we? Do you know if Claye can be a Queensland zone selection (Cat B) or would he have to be a Cat A rookie because of his previous career with us?

I believe the "minimum two year deal" on draftees only applies to players not previously on an AFL list, though I'm not 100% sure of that. Either way it makes more salary cap sense, if we're retaining him but not really expecting him to play, to retain him on the rookie list and put an extra draftee on the main list because this way half of his salary is outside the cap unless he starts playing senior games.

Claye can't be Cat B because he's been on an AFL list.

Getting to see the GF live was an achievement in itself - we had a mate line up for 6 hours for tickets, we took 3 flights from CQ, slept on peoples floors, pub crawled our way to the ground... Geez it was an awesome trip!!

Then I got dragged out on the MCG at 1/4 time to be interviewed live on the big screens - all because I was drinking a bottle of Coke because I'd had enough beer by then! Felt like 95000 people alright when you looked up! He asked me as a Lions supporter was I confident at 1/4 time and I said our 2nd halves had been our best parts all year so yeah I was ok with where we were at. 2 out of the 4 of us were Bomber supporters - didn't they give me heaps over that. They were very confident at that stage.

The rest as they say is history. The Lions song on repeat for what seemed like hours was just bloody brilliant. Mind you those 2 bombers supporters really didn't like it much!

s**t that was a great day!

And Bombers fans to this day are STILL dirty about that win....get over it fellas! :p

Pretty interesting how they are swinging the axe through our tall forward stocks. Gone is Schache, Close, Hammelmann, Freeman. Replaced with only Ballenden. Leaves us (for tall KPPS) with just Hipwood and Walker...and means that without a doubt they are 100% committed to draft Ballenden now, regardless if he gets bidded on early.

Seem a bit light on tall forwards? I know smaller and speedier is the way, but just seems a bit light if Walker and/or Hipwood go down to injury, and I doubt they will pump many games immediately into young Connor just yet.

Perhaps Matty Eagles is in Fagan's plan to slot into the regular lineup?

I believe the "minimum two year deal" on draftees only applies to players not previously on an AFL list, though I'm not 100% sure of that. Either way it makes more salary cap sense, if we're retaining him but not really expecting him to play, to retain him on the rookie list and put an extra draftee on the main list because this way half of his salary is outside the cap unless he starts playing senior games.

Claye can't be Cat B because he's been on an AFL list.
Thanks dlanod, appreciate it. So half of a rookie's salary is outside the cap. Does it all become part of the cap when he plays one game, is that how it works?

This also means we are probably only likely to take one DFA at most, given we are likely to take at least 5 picks, including 40 & 44 (for Ballenden) to the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back