2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Beams brings other players into the game much more than Rocky does, I feel. We're a better team out there when Beams is playing compared to Rocky.

Does that make up for be totally unaccountable for his opponent? At least Rocky tackles like a maniac.

Does that make up for be totally unaccountable for his opponent? At least Rocky tackles like a maniac.
And Rocky can also get a lot of non-damaging possessions; all players have weaknesses and strengths but in general I think we're a better team with Beams out there compared to Rocky. Doesn't mean they can't both be good players.

And Rocky can also get a lot of non-damaging possessions; all players have weaknesses and strengths but in general I think we're a better team with Beams out there compared to Rocky. Doesn't mean they can't both be good players.

I'd say it's pretty even with Rocky getting the edge because Beams' body has let him down. Doesn't have the strength or mobility Rocky has, which is saying something.

Fyfe already agreed to terms with Sainters. Just not signed as yet &/or made official until seasons end. Cant see Richmond letting Dusty go without offering him a BIG BIG contract renewal.
Fyfes only a restricted FA so that move would likely need to go similar to the Dangerfield one with a trade. Otherwise fyfe has to stay at Freo or go into the PSD........... where guess who will be waiting????
Welcome to brisbane fyfey!
Saints are probably the only team to have the currency needed to pay for Fyfe. That Hawthorn pick is looking very good for them.

Depends what May wants to do. He could probably hve any club he wants. So it really depends if he wants to go to the bright lights of Melbourne or stay in Queensland.
Why would May leave Gold Coast for Brisbane? GC are what two, three years ahead of where we are at. The only reason that May would come the Brisbane, is if he wanted to stay in QLD, but wanted out the supposed dysfunctional GC locker room (if the earlier discussion on here is to be believed).

Yes, and I don't think many people would call Rocky twice as good a defender as Robinson. My point was that defending is more than tackle numbers.

Robbo has played forward this year and his average is effected by the game he was injured. Last 2 years he was averaging 6.5-7 a game when he was playing midfield. Much higher than the 4 he and D Beams have averaged this season but short of Rockys 8.

Tackling isn't the only part of defending but Rockys tackling and contested possession stats are very impressive.

Kinda like Tom Hawkins at Geelong really. Hawkins was talked about just like you described Casboult for many years. Don't understand your anger but each to their own I guess. Takes bunch's of marks every game consistently unlike any of our forwards atm.
Hawkins? Oh hell no.
Beams brings other players into the game much more than Rocky does, I feel. We're a better team out there when Beams is playing compared to Rocky.
Beams at his absolute best like he was last week, yes. On the whole though, Beams has been a level below Rocky so far this season. Hasn't won as many contested possessions as he should and faded out of most games. That might be a fitness thing, but the long term worry is that he'll rarely be at full fitness or even close given his history.
He won't get that much, he accumulates but doesn't hurt. We need him on field more than anybody else does though.
I think people have missed that changes in his game under Fagan. He hasn't accumulated as much of the ball as he used to, especially on the outside. I think he's shown that he can be more effective getting 30 touches than he can racking up 40+.

Who knows what Rocky is worth but one thing is for sure with the new players agreement there will be close to a $2mil extra in each club's kitty. There is going to be some spending this off-season for a lot of players from other clubs. If a club who needs an inside contested/clearance/tackling machine and all it will cost is $$$ then he will be offered a fairly large contract from them. Any team who thinks that they need this type of player and they've got the cash they'll come knocking especially with how he has gone this season and has previously all bar the last two injury riddled seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this this a typo?

No, it's an opinion. He's a gun and exactly what we need. If things go as they are we will have a few first round picks, could use one in a trade easily. You've also got to remember that we will be paying overs for any established player we trade for, else we have no chance of getting any.

Who knows what Rocky is worth but one thing is for sure with the new players agreement there will be close to a $2mil extra in each club's kitty. There is going to be some spending this off-season for a lot of players from other clubs. If a club who needs an inside contested/clearance/tackling machine and all it will cost is $$$ then he will be offered a fairly large contract from them. Any team who thinks that they need this type of player and they've got the cash they'll come knocking especially with how he has gone this season and has previously all bar the last two injury riddled seasons.
I wonder if the AFL will up the threshold for qualification for straight after your clubs 1st round pick compensation for free agents? IIRC it is $700,000 now, wouldn't mind betting if Rocky leaves he's offered 750k a season then the AFL up the qualification to 800k.

No, it's an opinion. He's a gun and exactly what we need. If things go as they are we will have a few first round picks, could use one in a trade easily. You've also got to remember that we will be paying overs for any established player we trade for, else we have no chance of getting any.
Ok then, that's crazy talk, pick 1 for May.

I wonder if the AFL will up the threshold for qualification for straight after your clubs 1st round pick compensation for free agents? IIRC it is $700,000 now, wouldn't mind betting if Rocky leaves he's offered 750k a season then the AFL up the qualification to 800k.
Most probably but who the hell knows with the AFL.

Steven May turns 26 in January next year, if he was 2-3 years younger I would definitely give pick 1 up for him. With his age I'm not so sure, toss of the coin for me.

I guess I under rate draft picks? What do you think he's worth? Gold Coast co-captain. We are not a Vic club and not successful, what can we offer other than a good trade and good $$?
He's definitely a first round pick but just not a pick 1 but 7/12 range.

I would use some if we have a few first round picks on a seasoned player rather then getting 4-5 kids that take 2 years to develop just to leave :)
Not sure #1 on May although if we have 5-7 as well from the Schache deal then yes

So now that the Swans have salary cap issues thanks to Buddy and Tippett's crazy contracts and the fact they will start to slide down the ladder watch the Victorian vultures swoop for their players. I can see Tippett gone at seasons end. Misses to many games through injury is costing them a fortune.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back