23. Xavier Duursma
24. Luke Valente
25. Bailey Williams

Last edited:
The first thing I think of when I think of NSW/QLD is the national draft
Undoing years of progress here is the AFL

thumbs down

b16bc0d0616_t800_h8578968fe126d48296657e3314fea2488a9a8555.jpg

"Violent scenes in Homebush as news breaks of the relocation of the AFL National Draft"

New Phantom draft update

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-08/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-august

1. Sam Walsh
2. Jack Lukosius
3. Izak Rankine
4. Max King
5. Bailey Smith
6. Ben King
7. Nick Blakey
8. Connor Rozee
9. Jye Caldwell
10. Tarryn Thomas (NM NGA)
11. Isaac Quaynor (Collingwood NGA)
12. Jackson Hately
13. Curtis Taylor
14. Ian Hill
15. Rhylee West (WB F/S)
16. Zak Butters
17. Riley Collier-Dawkins
18. Chayce Jones
19. Will Kelly (Collingwood F/S)
20. Connor McFadyen (Brisbane Academy)
21. Jez McLennan
22. Jordan Clark
23. Xavier Duursma
24. Luke Valente
25. Bailey Williams
Keep on hearing how good the top of this draft is. To those that know, is 2nd round onwards any better this year compared to other years?

Keep on hearing how good the top of this draft is. To those that know, is 2nd round onwards any better this year compared to other years?

Valente will be a 200 game player imo.

He's quicker than Cunners and Dumont etc, just a gun all round midfielder.

AFL Draft 2018: How live trading will change draft night forever
4e990e5f68ddff5b313345edc4aa2c1f

SA U18 football stars Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine. Picture: Tait Schmaal
IN AN exciting draft-first, we will have a two-day event in November that will decide where the country’s brightest underage stars commence their AFL careers.

The exact details will be announced in the near future, but the event will be staged on November 22 and 23 at Etihad Stadium, soon to be renamed Marvel Stadium.

While there’s been many changes to the format over recent years — namely removing list managers from calling out “player number 2435077 (player name)” and now getting coaches to call out each club’s first selection alongside AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan — 2018’s changes are bigger than we’ve ever seen before.

Clubs will have the ability to trade ‘live picks’ meaning they can move up and down the draft order as they please.

In a similar way to the American sports movie ‘Draft Day’, clubs will be looking to get the best deals possible and have the ability to “make a splash” — which could result in clubs forcing others to pay ‘overs’ to get a certain draft selection to help them draft their preferred players.

Like the NFL Draft, clubs are set to be bunkered down in ‘war rooms’, rather than out among fans — and the ‘war rooms’ are set to be in the stadium’s various corporate boxes. Cameras will likely be peering in to follow their every move.

Here’s how it will all work.
317247dd75f32e9878862ffcb60ec29d

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan at the 2016 draft.
HOW WILL LIVE TRADING WORK?

The full details are still to be worked around. But at this stage, clubs will be able to trade picks but no players will be exchanged.

So what deals do we expect to happen? Adelaide and Port Adelaide potentially could be two big players in the live trading, with the South Australian Under 18 team possibly boasting five players that could be selected in the first round of the 2018 AFL Draft.

Key forward Jack Lukosius has been compared to St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt by some AFL scouts, while exciting small forward Izak Rankine can produce moments of brilliance that few others have shown in their draft years in the last few years.

Both players project to be likely top five selections and both South Australian clubs would be keen to get them on their books. But considering both clubs will have later first-round picks, how could they do it?

ee79a9eff5e6026e06a528239e98e733

Jack Lukosius in action for South Australia. Photo: Michael Dodge/Getty Images
Instead of exchanging picks during trade week, the two clubs could leave their advances to the last minute and exchange picks during the live draft.

As the ladder currently stands, Gold Coast holds Pick 2 and will likely received Pick 3 as part of the Tom Lynch compensation. After the Lynch compensation, Adelaide would hold Picks 8, 16 and 20. But Port Adelaide count also end up with North Melbourne’s first-round selection (Pick 10) in exchange for wingman Jared Polec, who’s rumoured to be considering a move back to Melbourne. In this scenario, they’ll have Picks 13 and 23.

The Crows likely have more leverage than the Power, but Port can’t be discounted being part of the trading bonanza in an attempt to collect Lukosius or Rankine.

Carlton, which currently has Pick 1, could draft Vic Country midfielder Sam Walsh with the opening pick, leaving South Australians Lukosius and Rankine on the board for Adelaide and Port Adelaide to consider.

554b46da0ed2003111d3d869f61a961f

Exciting forward Izak Rankine. Photo: Michael Dodge/Getty Images

Adelaide could theoretically speak to the Suns on draft night and offer them all of, or a combination of, Picks 8, 16 and 20, as well as another potential juicy selection acquired from a rival club, in return for the Suns’ Pick 2.

That trade would then help them claim Lukosius or Rankine, which could help them launch back into finals after a disappointing 2018.

The Suns could then have Picks 3, 8, 16, 18 and 20, with the five selections helping them gain hopefully a strong group of players for the future as the club looks to jump into finals since its introduction into the AFL.

WHAT ABOUT ACADEMY AND FATHER-SON SELECTIONS?

These will still occur as they naturally have in previous years.

Sydney’s Nick Blakey, North Melbourne’s Tarryn Thomas, Collingwood pair Isaac Quaynor and Will Kelly, and Western Bulldogs father-son Rhylee West are the likely candidates who could end up warranting a first-round selection.

But rival clubs could play games with the selection. For example, Sydney Swans academy selection Blakey looms as a potential top-five selection — and Sydney’s first selection isn’t until Pick 11.

AVOIDING ‘WHITE LIES’: Why Nick Blakey made the early call

37da06ddd3e9debbacafdd0e0f208695

Nick Blakey celebrates a goal. Photo: Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

A club ahead of Sydney in the order could then look to make a deal with the Swans and potentially get ‘overs’ by not bidding on the player.

At the same time, it would be appealing for the Swans to try and jump up the draft board and get in a first-round selection before Blakey earns a bid. That way, the Swans could bring in a top 10 player, such as Ben King, as well as gain Blakey.

WHAT ABOUT THE ROOKIE DRAFT?

The Rookie draft will remain, but instead of it being held 72 hours later then the national draft like past years, it will be held within 24 hours after the national draft.

077600910da94eb681e5e262cc2046fd

Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew looks on during the 2017 AFL Draft. Photo: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

In past years, clubs have had three years to stew over their potential rookie selections.

But this year, clubs will need to have their lists in order before Thursday’s national draft, with very little time to plan between the conclusion of the national draft to Friday evening’s rookie draft.

Hope we can somehow get our hands on a late first rounder , I would love for us to get our hands on Chayce Jones . This kid is a really good player , I can see him being a General across half back ala Luke Hodge .

New Phantom draft update

1. Sam Walsh
2. Jack Lukosius
3. Izak Rankine
4. Max King
5. Bailey Smith
6. Ben King
7. Nick Blakey
8. Connor Rozee
9. Jye Caldwell
12. Jackson Hately
13. Curtis Taylor
14. Ian Hill
15. Rhylee West (WB F/S)
16. Zak Butters
18. Chayce Jones
21. Jez McLennan
22. Jordan Clark
23. Xavier Duursma
24. Luke Valente
25. Bailey Williams
I'd take hately, Hill and Taylor over TT

Pushing him back to 13th

Unless we somehow make the second week of finals there should be no reason to worry about TT not being picked up after our first, and if a club does try and do a west coast we let them have him.
Not worth a top 10 pick in this draft

Have we drafted a VFL player since Gibson? We seem to have actively avoided recruiting out of there.

Hopefully our recruiting boffins are aware there's now a NEAFL equivalent running out of Victoria. Even produces the odd decent player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New Phantom draft update

1. Sam Walsh
2. Jack Lukosius
3. Izak Rankine
4. Max King
5. Bailey Smith
6. Ben King
7. Nick Blakey
8. Connor Rozee
9. Jye Caldwell
12. Jackson Hately
13. Curtis Taylor
14. Ian Hill
15. Rhylee West (WB F/S)
16. Zak Butters
18. Chayce Jones
21. Jez McLennan
22. Jordan Clark
23. Xavier Duursma
24. Luke Valente
25. Bailey Williams

Hey GR do you have any vids on Jye Caldwell? He could be around at our 1st.

Hey GR do you have any vids on Jye Caldwell? He could be around at our 1st.
Not at the moment. Didn't have much footage during the National champs due to injury.

Last edited:
Gary Buckenara names state league players who should be on radar of AFL clubs for 2018 drafts
Gary Buckenara, Herald Sun
August 16, 2018 11:30am
Subscriber only

THERE has never been a more critical time for AFL clubs to think outside the square when it comes to recruiting and improving lists.

While most new talent will arrive via the TAC Cup, that isn’t the only competition recruiters should be focusing on in their preparations for the national and rookie drafts.

In an 18-team competition and with 44 players on every list (and in some cases category B rookies on top of that), there are more players than ever being given an opportunity to develop their game and play AFL football.

But, the talent pool is stretched and finding enough players with the ability to play at AFL level is more difficult now than it has been in the past. That’s why it’s critical every AFL recruiter and list manager is looking for other pathways.

What I’m talking about are mature-age recruits from state leagues around the country.

There are mitigating circumstances sometimes, such as injuries or a player is a late developer, which prevents players from showing their full potential during their draft year at TAC Cup level and during the under-18 championships. That’s why it’s critical for clubs to look at players from every angle, regardless of their age.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s AFL clubs were very reluctant to add mature-age or state league players to their lists in the drafts. The focus instead, was finding the next star 18-year-olds from Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia in particular, and a few from Tasmania, Northern Territory and New South Wales.

This was a flawed philosophy.

Sam Mitchell and Matt Priddis are prime examples. Both were overlooked as 18-year-olds but continued to work hard to develop their game and plied their trade in the VFL and WAFL respectively. They went on to have stellar AFL careers and won Brownlow Medals.

To their credit, they never gave up on their dream and eventually Hawthorn and West Coast took a punt and it paid maximum dividends.

We’re now seeing more clubs willing to draft players in their 20s if a player suits a list need. The state leagues are largely an untapped resource when clubs are looking to add critical depth in a position, such as key position forward and back, if that need wasn’t able to be addressed via the trade and free agency period.

The best examples in 2018 are clearly Cat Tim Kelly and Eagle Liam Ryan.

Both played in the WAFL last year and have translated their standout form into impressive football at the top level. Both Kelly and Ryan filled critical needs at their clubs — Geelong’s need for speed through the midfield and West Coast more x-factor and speed up forward.

There are other examples, including Collingwood rookie Brody Mihocek who was drafted from Port Melbourne in the VFL and has been a really handy pick-up given the club’s injury crisis. He filled a critical list need.

Kangaroo Ben Brown was overlooked at three drafts. He suffered an ACL tear in his draft year in 2010 and so wasn’t given an opportunity but never gave up. Brown played in the Tasmania State League before moving to Victoria and playing in the VFL. Now, he’s one of the game’s dominant forwards and could win his first Coleman Medal this year.

And what about Cat Tom Stewart? He was drafted in 2016 after being identified by Geelong premiership defender Matthew Scarlett when he was playing for South Barwon and then for Geelong’s VFL side. He could be All-Australian this year.

This is a really important message to send to young players that miss out on being drafted as 18-year-olds — it’s never too late to realise your dream, so keep working as hard as you can because AFL clubs won’t ignore consistent performances in the major state leagues across Australia, especially if you’re a player that fills a critical list need.

I still look back and regret a decision I made in my early recruiting days at Hawthorn when I didn’t have the courage to recommend a 29-year-old playing in the WAFL for my old club Subiaco.

His name was Alistair Pickett. He was a really small player and his size, combined with his age, stopped me from recommending him to coach Alastair Clarkson and the rest of the recruiting team. To this day I still believe he was a player that had the ability to be an AFL sensation in the Cyril Rioli mould, only a smaller version.

So to Ali and all AFL fans I apologise for not taking that risk and I’m sure, in hindsight, many other recruiters share my thoughts.

10 PLAYERS WHO COULD BE MATURE-AGE RECRUITS THIS YEAR
Gary Buckenara names the players that should be on the radar of AFL clubs.

SAM COLLINS (Werribee)

194cm, 98kg, 24 years, defender

The former Fremantle Docker was delisted at the end of 2017 but has shown great ability to read the play and defend well at VFL level this year. He also has the flexibility in his game to play forward as well, which only adds to his appeal. Collins is a very nice athletic tall utility that should be looked at closely. He deserves another chance.

53bdd0d5afff194e9dba07b7f8833b81

Sam Collins takes front position against Jordan Lisle during a VFL clash this season. Picture: Getty
ANGUS LITHERLAND (Subiaco)

192cm, 88kg, 25 years, halfback

I have always liked Litherland’s athletic run and dash as a defender. He moved back to Perth after being delisted by the Hawks and has continued to work on his footy in the WAFL, where he’s put together a solid season so far. I believe he’d be a really good pick-up for either West Coast or Fremantle. Don’t forget he played 25 games for Hawthorn during the three-peat years and earning a spot in that team, and with such a strong list, shouldn’t be underestimated.

LACHLAN DELAHUNTY (Subiaco)

194cm, 91kg, 27 years, utility

A very athletic tall utility with a great pair of hands, the former Frankston player has thrived in the WAFL competition. At 194cm and 91kg, he has a ready-made body and given his size, to be averaging 23.8 disposals and a goal a game, is impressive. I’m sure he is on the radar of AFL clubs.

d3fc063cce1e5e688aa5035a6fd75a20

Lachlan Delahunty in action in the WAFL. Picture: Getty
LUKE MEADOWS (West Perth)

185cm, 86kg, 23 years, midfielder

Meadows is a mid-sized midfielder who finds a lot of the football. He’s been one of the best players in the WAFL so far this season and has been a model of consistency, averaging 26.2 disposals per game. I think he’d offer good midfield depth at an AFL club.

JYE BOLTON (Claremont)

187cm, 84kg, 26 years, utility

A former Collingwood rookie, Bolton is now in his prime at 26 years of age. He’s a mid-sized utility type averaging 30.9 disposals per game for Claremont in the WAFL and has been ultra consistent. He’s also proven himself to be a good tackler as much as a ball winner. His 30-disposal game against powerhouse Subiaco a few weeks back was impressive.

01e2e39a875314b6dc978ac8befc5482

Could Jye Bolton get another opportunity at AFL level? Picture: Sarah Reed
HAIDEN SCHLOITHE (South Fremantle)

182cm, 85kg, 25 years, midfielder

Last year Haiden was the only player in my top 50 prospects list not to be drafted or rookie-listed and I was surprised he wasn’t given another chance at AFL level after dominating in the WAFL and winning the Sandover Medal. Considering Tim Kelly was a teammate in 2017 at South Fremantle, this goalkicking midfielder had a right to be disappointed but to his credit he has put his head down and is again having another good year. I hope an AFL club will reward his consistency.

MITCH GRIGG (Norwood)

182cm, 85kg, 25 years, midfielder

Grigg returned to Norwood last year after being delisted by Adelaide and hasn’t missed a beat. He won the Magarey Medal in 2017 after an outstanding campaign where he missed only one game. The 25-year-old has genuine toughness around the contest and his tackle pressure puts him up there with the best midfielders in the SANFL. Given AFL has become a very contested game with strong-bodied in and under ball winners in demand, he could be looked at again.

29d21aefe158c00e2094a4f77dacc191

Mitch Grigg fires off a handpass. Picture: Sarah Reed
NICK HIND (Essendon)

180cm, 75kg, 23 years, midfielder

Hind has very good leg speed and looks to me (even though he is built like a pretzel, sorry Nick), like he has the makings of a good outside midfielder and ball carrier. His game against Box Hill, where he had 28 disposals and kicked a goal, was excellent. I’m sure he’ll have AFL clubs looking for outside speed closely tracking him.

WILL FORDHAM (Frankston)

190cm, 87kg, 22 years, midfielder

Fordham has really impressed at Frankston this year and has improved his inside game and field kicking. He has a strong body and has mixed it inside with the best VFL midfielders, while also being dangerous on the outside. He has also matured, given he has had to be a leader in a very young Frankston team. He was previously listed by North Melbourne but I hope he gets another chance at the AFL level as he’s worked very hard this year.

77881ae4a13f95fd81e5c241d1eb8b8d

Jesse Palmer has had a good season for Northern Blues. Picture: Hamish Blair
JESSE PALMER (Northern Blues)

191cm, 86kg, 21 years, forward

An impressive mid-sized forward with very good footy smarts and kicking skills, the former Port Adelaide player has been a standout at VFL level with Carlton’s VFL affiliate. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him drafted at the end of the year.

OTHER VFL PLAYERS WHO COULD BE IN THE MIX

Corey Rich (Frankston)

183cm, 83kg, 21 years, half forward/midfielder

Shaun Mannagh (Richmond)

182cm, 76kg, 21 years, midfielder

Callan Wellings (Collingwood)

181cm, 76kg, 20 years, midfielder/defender

Josh Corbett (Werribee)

190cm, 90kg, 22 years, forward

Brett Bewley (Williamstown)

185cm, 87kg, 23 years, midfielder

Michael Gibbons (Williamstown)

175cm, 73kg, 23 years, midfielder

Marty Hore (Collingwood)

189cm, 81kg, 22 years, defender

Tom Atkins (Geelong)

180cm, 85kg, 22 years, midfielder

Marcus Lentini (Coburg)

184cm, 77kg, 19 years, midfielder

Harry Nolan (Coburg)

194cm, 93kg, 19 years, key defender

Ben Cavarra (Williamstown)

175cm, 72kg, 22 years, small forward

Kade Answerth (Sandringham)

181cm, 78kg, midfielder

Eli Templeton (Port Melbourne)

183cm, 75kg, 22 years, midfielder

Ahhh Gary Buckenara, one of the funnier footy "experts" around.

Anyway, is it just me or does Rankine strike others as an A grade tool?

Never heard him speak but caught the eye in his underage year as a sleazy moustached version of Nick Kyrgios.

Never heard him speak but caught the eye in his underage year as a sleazy moustached version of Nick Kyrgios.

Yep, you are detecting what I am detecting.

He strikes me as a bogan with HUUUUGE tickets on himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back