First-month review

Remove this Banner Ad

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So we are 4 weeks in and that gives us our first review point of the season. Here is my take:

General Team

1. Team defence - our overall team defence is stronger than in recent years. It appears Clarko actually has a plan and it allows us to be opened up less while still allowing attacking moves. Opposition sides have worked it out relatively quickly and we lack the skill and speed to implement it effectively all of the time but it is a good start and I am sure will go through several iterations over the next 20-30 games;
2. We are controlling games for longer, this is a big plus.
3. Lack of athleticism across the ground is noticeable and the better teams go faster for longer and we are a fair way behind.
4. Sheez is the real deal, wow!

Backline

1. Have performed well as a unit and the structure has stopped bigger scores being kicked against us. Logue is a great addition, Sheez has added skill we have lacked for many years and Jack has played twice as well as 2021 in my view.
2. Been disappointing not having the 3KP defenders together, and I am looking forward to seeing them gel in the next 4-6 weeks;
3. I have 4 locks for 2024 so far.
- KP Defenders - McKay, Logue, Corr
- General Defender - McDonald
- Creative of HB - ????

The backline mix at the moment won't win us many games, but keep us in them. We lack run out of the backline and if we are to be a finals team, we need to replace Jack and Bonar types with the run our opposition clearly wins with. Jack has been great, but simply isn't the right type of player for the modern game. Bonar has the athletic traits but unless he adds an attacking game, he won't be in it.

4. Need KP depth

Midfield

1. LDU is a genuine star and Jy looks like he is back to his best.
2. Cam is our 2nd most impactful midfielder.
3. We need better run. LDU, TT and Wardlaw are the only 3 dynamic mids in our team, plus Cam who needs to be part of the mix. We lack powerful runners on the wings but have invested in inside mids.
4. Cunnington has reached the end. Football changed in 2022 and he is not suited to it. He makes it difficult to defend the transition. Incredible career but time comes for all of us.
5. I am nervous that only one of Powell or Philips will work in the modern game. Powell has done a great job at improving physically to give him the best chance, it is up to Will to see how his next 12-24 months go when he is hopefully injury free;

Forwardline

1. Structure is poor, hopefully just a matter of time but it is not setup to make the most of individual talents;
2. Curtis has been poor and we lack crumbers so has hurt us.
3. We are slow in the forwdline, affecting our ability to crumb and ability to provide defensive pressure
4. Charlie has impacted the contest and moves to the right positions often. Not working yet but has the tools just needs some easy marks and goals to gain a little confidence.
5. We are getting more I50 than have in recent years, that is a good sign
6. Need to invest in more KP depth. Mc Donald v Philips may still be an interesting decision for review over the coming years.

There is plenty more but that is my quick takes.

So we are 4 weeks in and that gives us our first review point of the season. Here is my take:

General Team

1. Team defence - our overall team defence is stronger than in recent years. It appears Clarko actually has a plan and it allows us to be opened up less while still allowing attacking moves. Opposition sides have worked it out relatively quickly and we lack the skill and speed to implement it effectively all of the time but it is a good start and I am sure will go through several iterations over the next 20-30 games;
2. We are controlling games for longer, this is a big plus.
3. Lack of athleticism across the ground is noticeable and the better teams go faster for longer and we are a fair way behind.
4. Sheez is the real deal, wow!

Backline

1. Have performed well as a unit and the structure has stopped bigger scores being kicked against us. Logue is a great addition, Sheez has added skill we have lacked for many years and Jack has played twice as well as 2021 in my view.
2. Been disappointing not having the 3KP defenders together, and I am looking forward to seeing them gel in the next 4-6 weeks;
3. I have 4 locks for 2024 so far.
- KP Defenders - McKay, Logue, Corr
- General Defender - McDonald
- Creative of HB - ????

The backline mix at the moment won't win us many games, but keep us in them. We lack run out of the backline and if we are to be a finals team, we need to replace Jack and Bonar types with the run our opposition clearly wins with. Jack has been great, but simply isn't the right type of player for the modern game. Bonar has the athletic traits but unless he adds an attacking game, he won't be in it.

4. Need KP depth

Midfield

1. LDU is a genuine star and Jy looks like he is back to his best.
2. Cam is our 2nd most impactful midfielder.
3. We need better run. LDU, TT and Wardlaw are the only 3 dynamic mids in our team, plus Cam who needs to be part of the mix. We lack powerful runners on the wings but have invested in inside mids.
4. Cunnington has reached the end. Football changed in 2022 and he is not suited to it. He makes it difficult to defend the transition. Incredible career but time comes for all of us.
5. I am nervous that only one of Powell or Philips will work in the modern game. Powell has done a great job at improving physically to give him the best chance, it is up to Will to see how his next 12-24 months go when he is hopefully injury free;

Forwardline

1. Structure is poor, hopefully just a matter of time but it is not setup to make the most of individual talents;
2. Curtis has been poor and we lack crumbers so has hurt us.
3. We are slow in the forwdline, affecting our ability to crumb and ability to provide defensive pressure
4. Charlie has impacted the contest and moves to the right positions often. Not working yet but has the tools just needs some easy marks and goals to gain a little confidence.
5. We are getting more I50 than have in recent years, that is a good sign
6. Need to invest in more KP depth. Mc Donald v Philips may still be an interesting decision for review over the coming years.

There is plenty more but that is my quick takes.
Your point re fwd line I think it will click, there was a kick from will (I think ) which was a bit lower than the other entries and the setup looked dangerous. I think that is the intention. It gives comben the opportunity to attack it plus it means Larkey isn’t forced to play body on body. If we kick to CZ we can bomb it a bit higher.

What I’m trying to say each of our tall/ marking fwds have a different optimal delivery, at present we are predominantly bombing long, with a developing mids group I think we will make the fwd structure look a lot better

We just gave the bloke a 2 year contract. That doesn't look good on us if you reckon he's done after 4 games.

Personally I don't think he's finished. His first 2 weeks were good. Still has something to offer. Needs to play forward more, he has the tools and we are screaming out for goal kickers.

I’m not sure Cunnington’s career is over, he still takes an important opposition mid and when he isn’t winning the clearance himself he is making it easier for LDU, Simpkin and Zurhaar to win the clearance. I do think the 2 year deal will be his final one, so we need to find a replacement by the end of next season.

We just gave the bloke a 2 year contract. That doesn't look good on us if you reckon he's done after 4 games.

Personally I don't think he's finished. His first 2 weeks were good. Still has something to offer. Needs to play forward more, he has the tools and we are screaming out for goal kickers.
I think he will be playing a lot more forward in the future

I was very surprised we gave him 2 tbh. That said with bigger tanks in few and TT back he's more easily covered and can he rested up forward more often and/or rested for games here and there.

• Already won as many games after the first month of footy as we did for the entirety of 2022 ☑️
  • Harry Sheezel plays like a 200 game Champion ☑️
  • LDU is a top 5 player in the league ☑️
  • Griffin Logue is already one of the recruits of the season ☑️
  • Excited to see George Wardlaw debut at some point ☑️

Feels like we are getting back to some sort of normality as a club and fans. The fog is starting to lift. The past few days has been good, proper footy talk, bitching and moaning about getting shafted by the umpires, the MRP, cursing injuries etc. The past few years have been pure misery, just doom and gloom. I walked out of Marvel on Friday thinking what a great day and game it was even though we lost. Full house, very competitive, no capitulation and a bit of anger and frustration to go with it. Even my Carlton Lebo mate that makes my morning coffee was laughing at me about the cheating umpires today. I'm starting to enjoy footy again rather than enduring it.

Im loving this season. I'm going in to every game optimistic we can win, rather than hoping to keep the margin under 50.

I don't live in Victoria, rather a rugby league dominant state, but one of the barstaff at my local is a native Victorian and a mad Richmond supporter.
Even he says ever since we've got Clarko he's never seen me without a smile on my face. He is absolutely correct there and he is absolutely delighted for us. I now bring my North Melbourne hoody every time I head down to my local.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump.

I echo the thoughts on the forward line.

Don't seem to create space and targets very well as a team.

We don't get many easy goals. Most are win clearance -> long chain of possession +/- scrappy contest -> goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back