BigFooty Official 2018 Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a quick phantom draft analysis and fun.
Pick 5 players underrated in your opinion.
Pick 5 players overrated in your opinion.
Phantom draft participants obviously can't nominate their own picks- we don't drink our own bath water here. Also no personal comments about drafters. This is a subjective exercise.

Overrated
1. Ben King - I am slightly burnt from tall defenders these days, don't like spending high picks on them. He better make it as a forward which I did not feel like he made me take notice

2. Quaynor - I cannot for the life of me see the love for this kid. I know Pie will tell me his live action is better, but not for me, especially not that high

3. O'Halloran - First few times I liked this kid, but watching closer, just double touches the ball and does not feel like a midfielder for mine.

4. Bailey Smith - Once again people are saying he is better than Walsh, I just cannot see it. He did not impress me that much, so many better midfielders from previous drafts that spending a high pick on this kid would not impress me. His one impressive aspect was his strength up forward, so that may change my mind a little.

5. McLennan - Ho hum for me, just nothing outstanding.

Underrated

1. Bailey Williams - I still feel like this kid is getting a tough rating, Twomey having him outside his top 30 players.
2. Chayce Jones - Screw how tall he is, this kid is fast, kicks both sides and finds the ball!
3. Conner McFadyen - He is moving up the rankings, but called this guy had top 15 potential ages ago and I still like his potential.
4. Tom McKenzie - Quick and with great skills, lovely late option
5. Marlon Pickett - He should have been drafted before, love his work.

6. Fraser Turner - I would not spend a huge pick on him, but I like his potential.

Can't believe Kyle Reid went through undrafted, way better than a rookie chance. Tough, no frills KPD with reasonable athleticism, excellent overhead and seems to know when to go the grab or spoil which I particularly like in a defender. So he'd definitely be in my underrated column along with small/medium forward GWV Rebel Charlie Wilson.
He'd be next on my talls draft board.

Overrated - Quaynor, Kelly and Stocker (i've seen good sample sizes of these guys playing, unless Quaynor was twice as good early in the season, i dont get his rating, especially so high, Kelly is a late pick for mine, very much a project tall def, a better defender wasnt even drafted imo and he goes top 30? and Stocker ive seen too many ordinary efforts from him to go first round)

Underrated - McFadyen, Williams and McHenry (McFadyen is a first rounder, but is out of sight out of mind apparently, Williams is top 20 at least, probably a bargain as you dont often get an athletic tall who can play multiple positions and dominate each and McHenry is the hardest working player in the draft pool, for example Hill and McHenry are the same height, both are very quick and agile, but 1 is a hard worker and impresses whatever position he plays in, the other has gone missing since the nationals...yet they are picked in the opposite order to their performances)

Last edited:

The saints signed a category B rookie does he need to be drafted in the rookie draft? He was a basketballer and his name is Sam Alabakis. He is from Western Australia.

He'd be next on my talls draft board.
Falcon Charlie Sprague another very talented medium forward that's not getting much love on these boards, footy smarts, good skills, great goal sense and a team player. Won't surprise me at all if he gets drafted in the main draft even after little exposure this season with injury, has a very Stephen Wells type feel about him. That round 16 game against the Calder Cannons at Mars Stadium where he slotted 3 goals and handed off another he could have easily kicked himself showed he doesn't need a lot of touches to really hurt the opposition.

Falcon Charlie Sprague another very talented medium forward that's not getting much love on these boards, footy smarts, good skills, great goal sense and a team player. Won't surprise me at all if he gets drafted in the main draft even after little exposure this season with injury, has a very Stephen Wells type feel about him. That round 16 game against the Calder Cannons at Mars Stadium where he slotted 3 goals and handed off another he could have easily kicked himself showed he doesn't need a lot of touches to really hurt the opposition.
He is listed to play again for Geelong next year, Ethan Floyd was the same so I think it’s a good indication that he is a slim chance to be drafted this year.

He is listed to play again for Geelong next year, Ethan Floyd was the same so I think it’s a good indication that he is a slim chance to be drafted this year.
Way, way more ability than Ethan Floyd, Charlie can actually win his own ball.

Way, way more ability than Ethan Floyd, Charlie can actually win his own ball.
Floyd was rated a better chance than Sprague in his draft year, Floyd was a wingman which would attribute to him getting the outside ball. Sprague’s injury has gotten in the way and sadly I’ve only seen him since play a few times and although talented I don’t think he played many 4 quarter games.

Floyd was rated a better chance than Sprague in his draft year, Floyd was a wingman which would attribute to him getting the outside ball. Sprague’s injury has gotten in the way and sadly I’ve only seen him since play a few times and although talented I don’t think he played many 4 quarter games.
You ever look at Floyd's lame attempt at tackling? No surprise he went undrafted, there's outside players then there's Floyd.

You ever look at Floyd's lame attempt at tackling? No surprise he went undrafted, there's outside players then there's Floyd.
This isn’t the place to discuss a player that isn’t getting drafted I only brought him up as an example of a player that got a combine invite which confirmed club interest and was then listed to play TAC for the next year which Sprague also fits the bill.

Last edited:
Yep Sprague is a favourite of mine. Late/rookie chance on upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The saints signed a category B rookie does he need to be drafted in the rookie draft? He was a basketballer and his name is Sam Alabakis. He is from Western Australia.
Nah you dont need to go via the draft,just sign him up and he's yours

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I thought Carter might go in the ND here just on account of speed.

Still I (and I think most Freo fans who have heard of the NGA) would be stoked to get these two as Cat B. Free swing.
Not sure how confident clubs would feel about drafting a kid out of WA who is tied to and expecting to play for a WA club. Of course they can do it, but unless you have interviewed them and put that in front of them I would think it unlikely to happen. I would also think that recruiters would have had limited exposure to him given his Academy ties, and would have focused on other kids.

Not sure how confident clubs would feel about drafting a kid out of WA who is tied to and expecting to play for a WA club. Of course they can do it, but unless you have interviewed them and put that in front of them I would think it unlikely to happen. I would also think that recruiters would have had limited exposure to him given his Academy ties, and would have focused on other kids.
NGA and F/s prospects have ended up at different clubs recently. It is a minority but it does happen. Also, I was only referring to the phantom draft anyway. In the real thing I expect we either take or match Carter with 65 and Medhat goes to the rookie draft.

Snoop Dog

Chayce Jones

A supremely talented individual with ticks right across the board as both a footballer and person showing flair on the field with leadership and great character off the field.

Was willing to take Jones with my first pick but not with Caldwell still being there, I feel that he is probably in the underrated bracket with his impact and perhaps if he was in either VM or VC he'd be rated a little higher but playing for Tassie may just see him slide a little perhaps.

Nonetheless Jones is a classy player with good skills, especially by hand. His clear standout trait for mine is his ability to find the ball in close and create space and move it on quickly. Few can sum up a situation and keep the ball moving like he can, he's got this nippy style that will be hard to stop and tremendously quick hands in close. He knows how to free his arms, even when being tackled his manages to dish off the ball more than your average player, perhaps that little extra 1/4 second he has allows him to do this.

His skills for mine can be at both ends of the spectrum where I have seen some lovely little bullets from a fully balanced and poised individual but at times a rushed or munged kick when under pressure and sometimes even when not. Perhaps his legs can go too fast for him but I don't think this is a big deal. He reminds me very much of Marc Murphy at the same age, who used to have his fair share of mung helicopters but was usually always balanced and turned out pretty damn good.

His defensive pressure is absolutely elite, few can rival his tackling, his harassing and his application to the contest and coaches will absolutely love this about him, I certainly do. He will walk off the field every game with nothing left and he rarely goes missing, he's just always there doing something for the team and this adds onto his excellent leadership qualities, an AFL captain beckons one day.

In summary, a good get with the crows second pick to compliment the class and hardness of Caldwell, Jones perhaps being the slighter of frame will take that bit longer at AFL level to match it with the bigger and harder bodies so an earlier outside role may apply but long-term, he should be a very good outside in midfielder who can win plenty of the ball and use his agility, speed and smarts to be a player worthy of a tag at his peak.

Riley Collier-Dawkins

I struggled a little with this pick as I was contemplating a few individuals but felt that I needed to take the 'risk' on this guy and add a slightly different dimension to the crows midfield with Jones and Caldwell being more alike, Collier-Dawkins offers that big unknown in the taller, bigger bodied mid that has come to the fore in recent times, could be be the next Bont? or a bust who never develops a tank and is forever a what if? I'd like to think the crows know how to develop footballers so would back him in in such an environment to maximise his huge raw talent and upside.

Collier-Dawkins is a tough one to rate, he's that big body similar to Bontempelli and many wonder can he follow that path? If he did, his likely rating in this draft would be top 5 but hindsight is a wonderful thing....for now we can only pick him on potential and from what we have seen. But the glimpses I have seen give me some confidence that he's more likely than not to develop into a very good AFL footballer.

Firstly he has the big body and the size at 193cm 88kg with perhaps a little more growing to come...that in itself is a daunting prospect for opposition sides with a large gazelle running around in the middle. He's got good skills and a powerful burst out of the contest with some nice dash and those steps at his size will almost always present issues to the largely smaller midfielders he will encounter. He gets his arms free quickly and really burrows in hard, that big frame crashing in and winning his own footy, he loves a good contest and that's one thing I love about him, not afraid to use his best weapon, his frame. His speed is good, especially early and loves to run and bounce the footy. Kicking is sound but not outstanding, sometimes the odd floater comes off his boot and it can look a little shaky as he is not always balanced when kicking. And his engine is the biggest question where it doesn't allow him to win as much of the footy as you would like as a midfielder but very rarely do you see 6ft3 18yo's winning it 30 times a game in the Under 18 comp...that comes with develop and AFL standard training. His hands are elite, long arms and very clean with one-grab takes at winning the ground balls and he is competent overhead having been used forward at times although this doesn't come naturally to him, his size makes it an attractive option.

In summary, an exciting prospect with a huge upside and too good to ignore with my 3rd pick for the crows and will add a new dimension to a midfield now bolstered by the elite classy talent in Caldwell and Jones

Luke Valente

Now with my final pick in a flurry of early picks for Adelaide, I had to take the South Australian captain, especially given that I had not yet been able to accquire any of the quality South Aussie talent with my first 3 picks, it's just the way it happened to be but with Valente available, I just had to take him. I was really wanting Ely Smith here as I think he is criminally underrated as well as Tom Berry but Valente was too good to pass over.

A supreme leader and individual, I have no doubt Valente is probably the best captain to come through the SA Under 18 system in my time watching juniors, there is not a box in the leadership section that he does not tick. But as a footballer he can play to a very high level. Perhaps some may say jack of all trades master of none which perhaps is a little unfair but at the same time not untrue. As good as Valente is, he perhaps will never be that elite star at the highest level but still be a very good 250+ game player which in itself would be a fine achievement.

Skills wise he is probably the most competent dual-sided kicker in the draft, with good penetration of both legs and thus when caught, doesn't have to kick the awkward checkside on his preferred when balanced for his non-preferred. His kicks are neat, fast and generally accurate and when taking his time can kick it a fairly long way. Most noticeably, he is a very balanced disposer of the football, he always looks 'neat'. Having said that, his outside class is matched by his inside ability to win the ball, at times he can rack up enormous numbers in both the ball and clearances and is often the standout midfielder on the ground, he certainly was for Norwood Under 18's and have no doubt he could have held his own at SANFL league level if given a chance.

His pace would be considered average, he is not slow at all but doesn't have a lot of top end speed of some of the other highly touted midfielders but has a good engine and can run all day.

Defensively his tackling is often a feature, he will tackle strongly all day when not in possession so one cannot question his efforts there.

I compare him to Liam Shiels from the Hawks, with better skills and in summary would be a fine accquisition for the crows to compliement the high skillset from Jones and Caldwell and the upside of Collier-Dawkins, Valente would be the icing on the cake.

Snoop Dog

Jordan Sweet

Having taken 4 midfielders with my earlier picks I felt I neeed to address a pressing need for the crows and that is a decent young ruckman. Big sauce is not getting any younger and is well past his best. I think he has 2 years max left and probably only 2019 as a decent ruckman, after that his impact will wane. O'Brien is a good young ruckman and has been solid in his games in the SANFL when fit but he won't ever be as good as sauce was and perhaps only reach B grade at AFL level when he becomes out next full time ruckman so more is still needed, especially with Hunter being delisted but he was never good enough anyways.

Enter Jordan Sweet...a young ruckman who I have been a fan of since his Under 18 days and would have taken him back then as an 18yo in his first year with a later pick and certainly a rookie pick. Sweet is a physically imposing ruckman who likes to use his body at the ruck contests and can get a high number of hitouts, he was seldom beaten in underage comps and is now starting to hold his own at SANFL league level and was the premiership first ruck in their flag this year really taking it to Sam Bauldertstone who is probably the second best SANFL ruck behind Darcy Fort. Sweet works around the ground well but perhaps could get a little more of the ball in general play. His marking is strong and can take a pack mark and surprise at times with a good leap but he doesn't always seem to use that at other times. Given his size, there is a lot of upside and I feel if he was undrafted this year, he'd have a big year in the SANFL and take the mantle from Fort as the premier ruckman in the comp and still be 4 years away from his peak as a ruck so I think the AFL is most certainly his destiny...he can become a better ruck than O'Brien, I have no doubt about that so a pick this low down would be good value and address a need for the crows and I'd expect him to get games next year.

Oscar Chapman

I like to think Chapman is just about a steal down here, he is a supremely talented and natural footballer which enormous upside. I can see why perhaps he has slipped down the ranks, his production at times can leave a lot to be desired often having less than 10 touches a game and be lucky to even kick a goal but his game against Vic Metro shows what he can do and I'd like to think the right environment and team balance can extract that level of output on a more consistent basis...because on raw talent he could be in the top 30.

Some liken him to Jack Gunston or Will Hayward and I can see a bit of both in him, he's got the overhead marking and leadup of Gunston and a little x factor of Hayward but not as dynamic or damaging. He would be considered your classic 3rd tall who can also play the smaller role if required. Chapman has a terrific pair of hands and a rare knack of reading the ball in flight. When he's on he's pretty graceful and a pleasure to watch, not afraid to take a contested grab either and is a lovely kick of the football. His consistency has been the main issue as well as his general hardness and on and off defensive pressure compared to some of his peers but everyone has their knock...a good and potentially hard matchup forward would suit the crows well, especially with Tom Lynch not getting any younger, he could potentially slot into that role nicely in time after some more development and become a very exciting AFL footballer. Big upside and could be a surprise packet in a few years time...

Is Curtis Taylor the next Ben Lennon ?
That's not a bad comparison. Think Taylor has more upside, but Lennon probably showed a bit more in his draft year. IMO he is a player that some clubs have on their draft boards in the top 15, others have him in the third round.

Richmond profiles:

Ian Hill

OVERVIEW

The creative half-forward comes from strong football bloodlines as he is the second cousin of Fremantle pair Stephen and Brad Hill. The Perth youngster has all the attributes which wins the hearts and minds of AFL coaches, players and fans alike. Blessed with speed to burn and terrific foot skills, it is an exciting sight when the man affectionally known as Bobby (due to his fondness of Bob the Builder as a youngster) swoops on the ball and set up his teammates for goal scoring opportunities.

Hill does not have to have a high number of possessions to have an impact on the game. His skills greatly suits the forward 50 area where he can cause havoc with his pressuring skills and he certainly knows where the big sticks are. However, he is just as much at home dashing off the half back line and setting up attacking thrusts which he has done for the Demons a few times this season. Once the 18 year-old builds up his light frame, a key role in the midfield beckons. For his tender age, Hill has a fair bit of big game experience having been part of two WA U/18 campaigns as well as playing a couple of reserves games for the Demons as well.

STRENGTHS

• Speed
  • Clean Skills
  • Goal sense
  • Decision making
  • Creativity
  • Agility
There is a reason why league coaches do not always look to negate the player who accumulates the most possessions. It is a proven fact that the player with the ability to run and create is what gives them sleepless nights. The ability of Hill to scoop the ball up in heavy traffic and set off leaving opponents flat footed is a skill in its own right.

There is one thing to have speed and then there is another thing to use it in the right fashion. Hill does that with his ability to use his evasive skills to deceive his opponent and get himself out of tight situations. He also has the ability to use his closing pace on opponents to win back the ball from the opposition. His results in the agility testing at the upcoming AFL combine will be fascinating to see.

Elite foot skills is another key asset in today’s football as seen with Hawthorn three-peat success and in more recent times with the West Coast Eagles this season. Hill has a innate ability to find a teammate with a pin-point pass who is in a goal scoring.

Improvements

• Size
  • Continuity
With all the exciting attributes of Hill, you would be thinking he would be a talent scouts’ dream, but the one thing that holds him back from being a true top 10 candidate is his size. Hill tips the scales in the mid 60s which means he faces a pre-season or two of heavy gym work if he wants to be a first-choice midfielder. It was noticeable that he struggled somewhat with the bigger bodies when he made the step-up to the reserves late in the season. However it poses as a delicate balance as getting too bulky will certainly negate some of his natural attributes.

His WAFL campaign was a stop-start campaign due to a number of factors. U/18 championships, a two-game suspension he received for a sling tackle (against Vic Country) which carried over to Perth’s season along with dealing with some niggling injuries and a delayed concussion. These interruptions led him to play just nine games this season. Once again, getting his body into prime senior footy conditioning poses as Hill’s biggest task.

SUMMARY

Hill is a ball of excitement ready to leap onto the AFL scene. We see every season how indigenous talents can instantly improve the fortune of a team with their natural ability and Hill certainly fits that description. While the West Australian youngster is still a work in progress, Hill shapes as an ideal choice for a team that is looking to inject some speed, creativity and skill into their side. Expect him to land somewhere in the top 20 picks, with both West Australian sides surely eyeing off the leader, while other teams looking for some X-factor will consider the excitement machine.

###

Luke Foley

OVERVIEW

Luke Foley went from unknown talent to a bonafide draft prospect after an incredible 2018 campaign. In just nine games for Subiaco’s Colts team, Foley finished fourth in the best and fairest, and tenth in the Jack Clarke Medal, averaging 25 possessions, seven tackles, five inside 50s, four marks and booting nine goals. While for the Western Australia U18s State Academy, he averaged 17 possessions, seven tackles, five clearances, four inside 50s, three marks and kicked two goals from three games.

STRENGTHS

• Accumulation
  • Skills
  • Workrate
  • Clean hands
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Big game performer
As a midfielder, Foley shares similar traits to GWS star Stephen Coniglio due to his ball-winning ability, two-way running, class on the outside and his ability to impact the scoreboard. For Subiaco’s Colts’ team, Foley ranked eleventh for total possessions (225) and third for possessions per game (25) such was his ball-winning ability. Foley accumulated 22 or more possessions in seven games, including a dominant 36 possessions against Claremont in Round 4.

When Foley has possession he does not let it go to waste, as he will more often than not lace out his targets with his penetrating kicks. Or, if he is winning the ball out of congestion he will produce a quick-fire handball to a teammate in open space. Another reason why he is so good with his skill execution is because of his clean hands. Foley rarely fumbles the ball and as such his ability to find targets either by hand or foot is exceptional.

He is also an excellent two-way runner, ranking seventh for tackles at Subiaco and third for the WA U18s State Academy. But also his ability to chase, and worry his opponents is excellent. Such is his work-rate, Foley has also demonstrated an ability to drift forward and impact the scoreboard with a combined 11 goals from 12 games between Subiaco and WA. His nous inside the forward 50 worries defenders as he sets up teammates, and can slot goals himself.

Finally, he has demonstrated an ability to play well in big games. In the second Semi-Final against Swan Districts, Foley finished with 22 possessions, five marks, five tackles, three inside 50s and two goals to be one of Subiaco’s best. He was also very close to securing the Mel Whinnen Medal (WAFL Colts’ Grand Final Best on Ground Medal) after a dominant performance in the Grand Final with 22 possessions, seven marks, six tackles and six inside 50s.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Strength
  • Durability
  • Acceleration from a stoppage
Despite having a host of excellent athletic traits, Foley does not boast the blistering acceleration out of a stoppage that some other midfielders have. However, his endurance and ability to cover the ground should hold him in good stead. He also missed a large chunk of the season due to injury, and as such AFL clubs will want to monitor his situation closely. However, with the right medical team, the AFL club that picks him up should be able to have him durable quickly enough. It is not a massive thing, but Foley will need to put on some muscle if he is to start in the midfield for the AFL club that selects him. He is more ready-made than other midfielders, but can always increase his strength and become even more effective on the inside.

SUMMARY

One of the premium midfield prospects for this year’s draft, Foley is a hard-working, skilful and damaging midfielder. With a full AFL pre-season behind him, expect Foley to play a few games in his first season of AFL football. He is an over-age prospect and showed at the National Under 18 Championships, that he is capable of using the ball well and making good decisions. He can play forward, back or through the middle, with his work at the stoppage very impressive. He is predicted to go somewhere in the late-first round to mid-second round, and would be a valuable addition to any side that will be looking for a versatile midfielder with good upside.

###

Damon Greaves

OVERVIEW

A mainstay of the WA State teams since the 2015 Western Australian Under 15s State Schoolboys’ Team, Damon Greaves is one of the best defensive prospects from Western Australia in this year’s draft. He is a sweeping defender who reads the play exceptionally well, makes sound decisions and has a penetrating kick which leads to his side’s attacking forays. Despite missing some of the Championships and some WAFL Colts with an elbow injury, Greaves had already demonstrated that he has the potential to be a star of the future. He has plenty of attractive traits which will catch the eyes of recruiters, including his ability to read the play and dispose of the ball with composure and a penetrating kick. He is often camped out in defence taking strong intercept marks and using his high level endurance to work his opponents over.

STRENGTHS

• Penetrating kick
  • Reading of the play
  • Composure
  • Intercept marking
  • Endurance
Not unlike West Coast star Brad Sheppard, Greaves has the perfect balance between stopping his opponent from being dangerous, as well as being able to provide quality rebound for his team. His clean hands, reading of the play and strong intercept marking ability all enable him to pick off the opposition’s forward entries. He is that defender who you can rely upon to give you both good offensive movement, while remaining accountable. When bounding out of the backline, his ability to remain composed even under heavy duress and find the right option is outstanding for someone his age. He also has one of the best kicks in this year’s draft, and as such his drive is crucial to his team’s success. In the future it would not be a surprise if Greaves transitions into a silky wingman due to his elite linkage play.

For East Perth, Greaves is ranked second for total tackles (56), third for total possessions (251), and third for total marks, despite just playing 11 games. His best games this year have come against West Perth (31 possessions, 10 tackles, four marks and three inside 50s), East Fremantle (22 possessions, and 16 tackles), Peel Thunder (24 possessions, seven marks, three inside 50s and a goal) and Subiaco (27 possessions, six marks, five tackles and two inside 50s).

IMPROVEMENTS

• Contested marking
  • Strength
With his body size, Greaves will need to put more muscle on to his frame to cope with the bigger bodies as he can easily be pushed out of one-on-one marking contests. This is an area that can be worked on at an AFL club with plenty of gym programs and trainers to further develop the area. He is a solid height at 186cm, but the 74kg will no doubt mean he needs some time to match it with the stronger forwards. Once he has added some more muscle and strength into his body, expect his contested marking to improve as well, which is another area of improvement for Greaves. He is a smart defender who drops into the hole and takes some good intercept marks, but body-on-body can be out-marked.

SUMMARY

Damon Greaves has the potential to become a very capable medium-sized defender in the AFL. His intercept and rebounding play, combined with his “stopping” makes him an attractive prospect. While he is not in the top group of names that have been talked about in draft circles, he is predicted to be a mid draft prospect and a very solid get for whichever club needs a well-balanced defender. He might not walk into a Round 1 team due to his lighter frame, but with good development and working on his craft further at a state level against senior bodies, Greaves could make an impact in the short to medium future.

###

Hugo Munn

OVERVIEW

Hugo Munn is a big bodied key position forward, who at times pinch hits in the ruck, Munn has been a member of the AIS Academy Squad for the past two years and has been a consistent member of the Sturt SANFL League side in 2018. Munn was a member of this year’s 2018 South Australian National Championship winning team and played as a forward in most games.

Munn has a strong ability to mark above his head and showed through his body strength and size during the National Championships that he can turn a game with limited opportunity. He managed to kick key goals from marks in quick succession in a number of games, and also on the lead is difficult to match based on his size and reach. Munn’s biggest weapon during the championships was his contested marking and he is an excellent kick for goal. He is athletic to fly for the ball and based on his height, hard to defend.

At Sturt in 2018, Munn managed seven games at League level and one at Reserves level and finished the season with eight goals, averaging one goal per game. As a key forward at his age at SANFL League level he was often against experienced defenders, but certainly showed he is capable. In one game in particular he was critical to Sturt securing victory with a big contested mark and goal. Munn was selected in Sturt’s Round 1 league side on the back of an excellent pre-season and also after spending time training with the Adelaide Crows to get exposure at the next level.

At times Munn was played across defence, and against bigger bodies but he certainly showed some versatility and confidence in flying for marks and hitting the packs at pace and hard. In his last game of the year for Sturt, he finished with seven marks and 12 possessions.

STRENGTHS

• Contested Marking
  • Strength
  • Goal Kicking
  • Size and athleticism
Munn’s key strength is that he has shown at League level his body size and marking ability is at the standard required. On smaller opponents during the Championship he showed he was difficult to defend or move from his line, and contested marking his strongest attribute. When around goal Munn’s technique is sound and consistent and would be a reliable and efficient kick for goal. He offers that strong key position forward role for a club looking for a contested marking beast.

The size Munn brings to any side matched with his athleticism in the air and recovery has him able to get up the ground as a centre-half forward and provide a valuable target for moving the ball from the midfield. Big forwards who have a great set of hands at a young age are hard to find, and Munn is one of those.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Versatility
  • Speed
Munn had pinch hit in the ruck at National level at times, but had not quite clicked for him in that role. At 197cm he could be the second ruck option, but improvement in that area would help him. For the times he played some minutes in defence for Sturt he was solid, but not quite as dangerous as how he looked as a key forward.

Munn is clearly a player that will always give effort, contest (often mark) and do what was required, we are just waiting to see that absolute break out game that takes his game to the next level, as he is capable of ripping a game apart, especially up forward. Key forwards take time to develop, but Munn has the attributes that will provide him the foundation to progress. He is quick on the lead, but with some development when the ball is on the ground will help take his speed to another level.

SUMMARY

Hugo Munn is a contested marking forward who has abilities to reward effort from his midfield and hit the scoreboard and create moments for his team. His size and ability will make him a key target for clubs and with some versatility to his game could turn into a valuable asset to any team. He does have some areas such as speed and versatility to work on, but he could be that power forward target inside 50 for clubs looking for a goal scoring option.

###

Zane Barzen

OVERVIEW

Zane Barzen is one player who would divide opinions because of his ability to do the unbelievable, but just not on a consistent basis. In his bottom-age year, Barzen shone in patches with his delivery inside 50 among the best in the competition, able to hit that 45-degree kick from half-forward into the centre of the forward 50 across his body under pressure. He is one of those players who has all the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, he just has to put them all together across four quarters. At 193cm, there is that future scope that Barzen could play as a full-time midfielder, he just has to build his endurance and improve his athleticism where possible, to be able to do it, otherwise he stands as that dangerous half-forward who will be used as a link in transition from midfield to the forward line.

STRENGTHS

• Kicking
  • Composure
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Scope
  • Smarts
Barzen has a number of draftable qualities that come with being a natural footballer. Like some, he might not be the most athletic player out there, but he can sum up a situation well, and use the ball accordingly. His ability to hit targets going inside 50 is very good, and he impacts the scoreboard off both his own boot and through assisting others. His kicking and ability to deliver the ball cleanly going inside 50 is what sets him apart from a number of other medium-tall forwards in the draft crop. He has the smarts and composure to go with his skills and packaged up make him a prospect to watch for the future.

At his size, he is that prototype midfielder size, who could almost be a key position player. But given his athleticism, he has been suited in that half-forward role with some stints up on the wing. He wins a remarkable amount of ball on the inside, at one stage earlier in the season, winning 50 per cent of his possessions in a contest while still running at 64 per cent by foot. While he played more outside in the second half of the season, Barzen has maintained his kicking efficiency, while still balancing between inside and outside possessions. He has the capability of leading out and taking marks, while also cleanly taking the ball off the ground and using it well.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Athleticism
  • Endurance
  • Consistency
The three question marks of improvements for Barzen centre around his athletic side and consistency in games. At times he looks like he can be a real threat up forward, but can often misfire in front of the big sticks and kick 2.4 instead of 4.2 or 5.1, and that is something which is a minor consideration. But for me, it is more about just creating a presence and getting his hands on the ball. He can do some fantastic things with ball-in-hand, he can just have some quiet games with low accumulation and impact. Once he can iron that out, he can certainly have a lot to offer at the elite level. Likewise, his speed (3.17 seconds in 20m sprint), agility (9.026 seconds in agility test) and endurance (20.6 in yo-yo test) are all areas he could improve upon, just to get more mobility and be more dangerous inside 50. Because of his composure inside 50 and ability to glide at times, his speed and agility is not a hindrance, but it is still an aspect he can certainly build upon.

SUMMARY

Barzen is a hard player to judge when it comes to draft projection and how clubs view him. He has the natural talent and scope to be a player who can be damaging at the elite level with a high impact per possession. But he has to build a bigger tank to improve his consistency, while working on his athleticism. His impressive kicking and ability to hit targets with passes very few can will have plenty of people interested in the talented half-forward, but it will reignite the debate of footballer vs. athlete. Regardless, Barzen has some really impressive traits that have been on show for the Murray Bushrangers and Vic Country throughout the past two seasons.

###

Matthew McGannon

OVERVIEW

After coming extremely close to be drafted in 2017 with interest from several clubs, Matt McGannon returned to Gippsland Power as an overager and has become one of the most consistent ball winners in the competition. With a late December birthday, he is seen in the same vein as a 2000 date of birth prospect by recruiters after being draft eligible by only a few days last year. Whether in the TAC Cup or for Vic Country, McGannon is the player you want with ball in hand as his elite foot skills have been instrumental in starting scoring chains from the back half.

“Moose” started the season on fire, averaging just over 27 disposals in the opening three games of the season, including a 28-disposal, 16-mark effort against Dandenong in Round 1. His shear weight of numbers and extremely high kicking efficiency percentages meant he was a near starter for Vic Country honours and he played well during the opening game of the National Championships against the Allies at Blacktown in difficult conditions. Unfortunately for the second year running, a poorly timed injury curtailed his momentum after a subluxed shoulder early in the game against South Australia prematurely ended his tournament.

McGannon returned to the Power line up in late July and immediately started winning plenty of the footy again, earning a rare consecutive draft combine invite and another opportunity to show the clubs what he has to offer. He finished the season a little slower than he would have liked, averaging 14 disposals from the final four games after winning 21 or more disposals from eight of his first 10 outings, but has certainly shown the footy world how influential he can be with ball in hand.

STRENGTHS

• Ball use
• Dual sided
• Decision making
• Skills
• Endurance
• Work rate
• Character

McGannon is a player that immediately catches the eye live, due to his elegant and classy kicking style and it is an asset that just cannot be underestimated. For the first few occasions you see him play, you are often left wondering whether he is right or left footed as he is so naturally competent on either side when running out of defence. He again proved to be one of the best users in the pool at the draft combine, finishing third in the kicking test with 25 out of 30 targets hit. While being a great kick is one thing, it is just as important to be a good decision maker and this is an attribute that can be easily forgotten when discussing McGannon. He assesses his options well, stays composed and often chooses a target that will become the most dangerous pathway to goal, whether that is through the corridor or a nicely directed switch across the ground.

His work rate and endurance are also important aspects to his game, as you constantly hear of him giving the GPS a serious workout when on the field. One improvement he was asked to work on for 2018 was to get in dangerous ball winning positions more often to fully utilise those elite execution skills. There is no doubt he has succeeded in doing that this year and it can be put down to his willingness to continue running. He has consistently survived to level 21 in the Yo-yo tests and recently ran a 6 minute, 40 second 2km trial at the National AFL Draft Combine, but most importantly has an appetite to get better physically and is flawless in his approach to recovery.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Contested ball
• Physicality
• Speed
• On-field continuity

There is a wide ranging opinion that McGannon preferably needs to raise his contested possession percentages, which is a tad unfair considering the change of role in 2018. Playing a more offensively behind the ball role will naturally see contested numbers drop, but we have already seen evidence during 2017 when he went to more stoppages or played some run with defensive roles. He could have a greater presence physically, but that will come as his body develops.

McGannon has a bit of a laconic, long bounding style that can often be misinterpreted as lacking pace, but he is actually deceptively quick. He often challenges that magic three second mark in the 20 metre sprint and can consistently hold that speed. While it appears he prefers to stay calm with the ball, it would be good to see him take the game on and break the lines more often.

He has also had rotten luck when it comes to injury over the last three years and would love to have a full season on the field. A severely rolled ankle in 2017 came only days after earning his first combine invite and never truly got the opportunity to justify that privilege on the field after returning for the elimination final under done. The early shoulder injury during the Champs again struck at the peak of his form, but thankfully these were just unlucky incidences as opposed to ongoing occurrences.

SUMMARY

Matt McGannon is a classy, smooth moving defender or midfielder who arguably has the best foot skills available in this year’s draft. Coaches and teammates want the ball in his hands and he rarely lets them down with his execution. He has made that modern day “quarterback” role his own, often being the instigator of a dangerous scoring chain due to excellent decisions and use. Clubs looking for some surety behind the ball could do a lot worse than McGannon, who could become a bargain selection in the second half of the draft.

Snoop Dog might as well not re-invent the wheel and save time writing up. I'll get the state combine ones done as well which will be a lot shorter.

St Kilda write-ups:

Max King

OVERVIEW

Max King has been talked about for the last two years not just for his ability, but because of the unique fact he has an equally talented twin brother, Ben. Both are 202cm key forwards with Max usually taking the reins up forward which allows his brother Ben to play down back. Max had his season ruined by injury, doing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) while playing for school team Haileybury just when he looked set for a massive year, after kicking eight goals playing for Sandringham against potential grand finalists Oakleigh in the most dominant display seen this year from any player in the TAC Cup. Oakleigh did not have anyone that could go with him and when he got a run at it he was impossible to stop. King can dominate in the air but he will also tackle and offer support at ground level which makes him a complete package as a key forward, he tackles with intent and is not afraid of a bit of push and shove. Max’s injury should not affect his draft range and the timing should allow for him to still attack the pre-season for his new club.

STRENGTHS
  • Athleticism
  • Marking
  • Pressure
  • Football IQ
  • Attitude
King’s athleticism is unreal for a player standing at 202cm, he is taller than some ruckman so when you combine his speed, leap and marking ability you get a player that’s near impossible to stop in the air. You will find many tall forwards lack something that could be identified to exploit whether that’s speed, height, leap or endurance but Max does not struggle in any of those areas and the only one are that could be considered an improvement is his strength, but that is something that will improve naturally, making King an extremely difficult match-up once he reaches his prime.

King’s marking, especially at the highest point, is a massive asset and when he gets a run and jump at the ball it is impossible to spoil him. King is a fantastic kick for a player of his height, you will find many 200cm plus players struggle with their ball drop and often taking a while to get ball to boot, but King has a fluid and penetrating kicking action. He is also very clean with his pick-ups and can fire out a handball as clean and quickly as most midfielders. King also has good footy smarts he will usually stay composed under pressure and take the right option, the way he can move side to side and dummy opponents shouldn’t be possible for a player his size but he does it anyway. Injury could be seen as a blessing in disguise and if anything what he has done so far has shown his resilience. He recently consoled a young footballer whose year was also cut short with injury, revealing the type of character King is outside of footballer.

IMPROVEMENTS
  • Strength
  • Versatility
The things Max King needs to improve on are rather easy to work on and I would not say they are weaknesses for him at this stage either. King’s strength is the main improvement he can make to become a dominant key forward at the elite level. He is fine against smaller bodies now, but like many developing talls he will need to spend plenty of time in the gym to be a real force at the next level and really make the most of his assets. The other area that could be considered room for improvement is his versatility, which unlike his brother Ben, has seen him played purely up forward (while pinch hitting in the ruck). Considering his dominance inside 50, it is not an area of concern, but when compared to the likes of his brother or fellow top-end tall Jack Lukosius, Max is the only one who has not spent considerable time in defence. One area that is hard to judge at this stage is his set shot goalkicking, with limited action this year to go off, booting 8.6 against Oakleigh in windy conditions at RAMS Arena. He was a relatively strong set shot for goal last season, so it is an area to watch, but have no concerns over at this stage, having booted 10.4 in his bottom-age year for the Sandringham Dragons.

SUMMARY

Max King was in the mix for the number one pick this year before injury and even with injury he is still projected to go top five and could provide a bargain if he slips even lower. The injury is unfortunate and many supporters would be hesitant in their club picking up a tall player in the top 10 with recent talls not coming along as quickly as hoped. However Max has the attitude and talent to warrant that early pick and despite only playing the one TAC Cup game this year, he also showed to recruiters what he is capable of. A 202cm athletic star who can dominate a game with the potential to be one of the top key forwards in the AFL once he reaches his prime.

###

Will Hamill

OVERVIEW

Will Hamill has been a regular in the Dandenong line-up for two years, despite his light frame he played 20 games last year which is an impressive effort. Hamill got to represent Vic Country playing in his favoured role down back and despite not getting a lot of the ball still had some eye-catching moments. Hamill was a player known to most draft watchers and recruiters going into the start of the year but his form early especially with ball in hand was not as good as expected but Hamill worked through the early jitters to start playing some good footy especially late in the year where he arguably played his best games. His finals performances were impressive being named second and fourth best in the preliminary and grand final with his grand final performance holding the most weight especially for the hard edge he had shown early in the game. Hamill had an up and down year, but his mix of attributes and finals form has him firmly in draft calculations.

STRENGTHS
  • Skills
  • Clean Hands
  • Versatility
  • Acceleration
  • Agility
  • Endurance
Hamill is silky by hand and his trusty left boot can cut teams apart. His kicking especially with short passes are usually penetrating and find the target more often than not, he favours the short option a lot of the time which would help his efficiency numbers. By hand he is incredibly clean and it is very rare that he will miss a target by hand, and very rarely fumbles the ball. His strong hands are also valuable in marking contests where he is also a good judge overhead and willing to go back with the flight. He has taken many courageous marks above his head including some playing for Vic Country.

Hamill mostly plays down back but he can go forward and even through the midfield. As a forward he uses his decent leap to prove a difficult matchup overhead and his clean ball handling also makes him dangerous when the ball hits the deck. He is also a willing tackler not afraid to put his body on the line so he could easily fill a forward role if needed. As a midfielder he lacks the size to be an effective contested player but when he is able to win his own contested ball he will often use good composure and his clean hands to release the footy. Hamill has electric speed and a good leap which would lend him well to playing at either end of the ground. He showed off his acceleration at the National Draft Combine, recording 2.914-second 20m sprint, a 8.222-second agility test and a 21.4 Yo-yo test. The latter showed the athletic play maker also has a large tank which helps him run out games and play in multiple positions where required.

IMPROVEMENTS
  • Production
  • Size
Hamill has only averaged around 15 touches a game which is fairly low compared to most running defenders in the AFL, you could say quality outweighs the quantity but it is still an area to improve and this is a factor no mater what position he has played thought-out the year.

Hamill is still very lightly framed at 185cm and 70kg he would need to add some size before he can impact at the next level with the hope that it would not effect his athleticism which is a major part of his game. At 185cm he may be required to play on the taller players at the next level and although he has a good leap he would not definitely need to add some weight to his light frame to able to compete one on one.

SUMMARY

Hamill has a lot of upside despite the relatively low production but with the amount of impact he can have with his low numbers and his impressive finals series he has done enough to suggest he should find a place on an AFL list come November. He has the tools that recruiters like with his upside, athleticism and overall skill amongst the best in this year draft. If he can improve his production levels and develop an AFL ready body he could be a real surprise packet at AFL level able to play so many roles but hopefully as a dangerous rebounding half-back.

###

Fraser Turner

OVERVIEW

The hard-running midfielder from Tasmania has bolted further up draft boards as the season has progressed. Turner’s had a very consistent season and has caught the eye of many recruiters with his endurance and ball use on the wing. He impressed throughout the U18 Carnival for the Allies, with his natural ball-winning ability and scoreboard impact. In the Allies close defeat to Vic Metro, Turner accumulated a team-high 25 disposals, nine marks, three inside 50s and four rebounds. Turner is the perfect player for a club that is looking at finding a natural wingman that works hard and is clean by foot. Along with these attributes, Turner has a great endurance base, and can hit the scoreboard when going forward. He needs to build up his frame in order to have more of a role on teh inside, and also register more effective tackles, but as a whole, the slick Tasmanian mover is able to get free and hurt opponents on the counter attack.

STRENGTHS

• Spread
  • Acceleration
  • Ball-winner
  • Endurance
  • Skills
  • Scoreboard impact
Turner suits the needs of a wingman seamlessly, with his strong aerobic capacity and clean ball use. He runs tirelessly both ways, often finding the ball at both ends of the ground within a short space of time. Turner also has the speed and agility to weave through congestion, along with the ability to burn opponents on the outside. Throughout the National Championships, he was able to drift forward, hitting the scoreboard on numerous occasions, adding another weapon to his game. Players that have great endurance, clean skills and the ability to accumulate with ease, are some of the most valuable assets to a football club in the modern era. His ceiling is as high as anyone in the draft, especially when it comes to outside midfielders. If Turner continues to work hard at improving all areas of his game, he could turn out to be a really valuable footballer at the elite level.

At the National Draft Combine, Turner recorded a 21.4 in the Yo-Yo test (top 10), and a 2.976-second 20m sprint, both very high for the draft class showing he can run in spurts and do it all day long. His kicking efficiency at the National Under 18 Championships did not do him justice, recording a 50 per cent efficiency from his nine kicks per game average. He is more effective than the statistics show, while his hands in traffic are clean, finishing the championships with almost a 90 per cent efficiency by hand. His spread saw him average 5.3 marks per game (ranked equal sixth) and booted almost one goal per game playing predominantly on a wing, just getting forward when possible.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Inside game
  • Strength
  • Tackling
Turner is on the lighter side and will need to develop more physically, but as we have witnessed in the AFL this season, first-year players can still have a big impact immediately, regardless of their size. With Turner spending the majority of his minutes on the outside, he can find it difficult to gain sufficient tackle numbers in games, and this will be one area he will be looking to improve on as he develops. He’ll also be looking to improve on his ability to win the ball on the inside, with the midfielder winning the majority of his possessions uncontested. If he can do that, he will make his game more complete and he’ll become just as damaging in tight, as he is on the outside. Likewise, his tackle numbers at the championships were poor, laying just the one tackle, with Turner used rather for his outside run than his tackling, but it is another area he can build on.

SUMMARY

Turner was one of four Tasmanians invited to the AFL National Draft Combine this year, revealing that there are many clubs interested. His endurance, ball use and the potential to turn into a consistent ball-winner that can kick goals, is far too good for clubs to ignore. The midfielder does have improvements to make to his game, but once he is able to bulk up his skinny frame, he can improve the other areas of his game to complement his classy outside ball-winning ability.

###

Angus Hanrahan

OVERVIEW

Angus Hanrahan, the younger sibling of the Hawthorn-listed Oliver, is a smart, classy outside player who sets up play off half-back and can hit the scoreboard across half-forward. Strong TAC Cup form early in the season warranted Vic Metro selection for the Under 18 National Championships — where he did his draft chances no harm — averaging 16 disposals. Whether it’s across half-back, half-forward or even through the midfield, Hanrahan oozes class and composure, rarely wasting his disposal. This was displayed early in the Dragons’ TAC Cup campaign. In a round two clash against the Oakleigh Chargers, Hanrahan dominated outside play, with 29 disposals at 86 per . cent efficiency together with seven handball receives — confirming his status as a designated playmaker — and nine marks, leading the Dragons to a strong 23-point victory. Then, a fortnight later, the St Kevin’s College student proved a handful for the Murray Bushrangers defence, booting 3.2 from 18 disposals, showcasing his ability to hit the scoreboard. Later selected to play for Vic Metro throughout the under-18 National Championships, Hanrahan impressed with his foot skills, particularly against Vic Country, earning the praise of St Kilda legend Leigh Montagna for his “beautiful delivery” inside the forward 50. It was a season that led to a National Combine invite, where Hanrahan again impressed with a top ten finish in the goalkicking test.

STRENGTHS
  • Class
  • Composure
  • Run and carry
  • Kicking
  • Football smarts
  • Versatility
Hanrahan possesses obvious strengths which lend well into each other, with his outside play clearly the standout feature. Combining run and carry with precision kicking, creativity and football smarts, it’s easy to understand how he was deployed across half back and across half forward to damaging effect. If Hanrahan can bring that kind of creativity to his midfield craft, he could be just as damaging there too. His playmaking ability from behind the ball was put on display early in the season, but a move to half forward for the Dragons saw Hanrahan kick eight goals in his last five TAC Cup appearances, demonstrating his versatility in a different role. His composure is something that allows him to be deployed as that damaging ball user, while also being accustomed filling the role of a steady finisher up forward. Moreover, Hanrahan seldom wastes disposal. Throughout the TAC Cup, he went at 65 per cent efficiency by foot and 76 per cent by hand to hold one of the better disposal efficiency percentages in the competition. His outside game often plays well into boosting those numbers as he has more time to pick the right option, but Hanrahan also showed good aptitude in delivering well in traffic.

IMPROVEMENTS
  • Size
  • Consistency
Weighing in at only 68 kilograms, although he’s an outside player, Hanrahan simply needs to add to his frame in order to avoid being pushed off the ball against men next season. That’s obviously an area that plenty of underage players will look to improve on should they get the opportunity to have a pre-season at AFL level. The Prahran, East Brighton and St Kilda City product could also improve his consistency. After enjoying a strong start to the TAC Cup season, which preceded an impressive campaign for Vic Metro, Hanrahan averaged a mere 12 disposals in his last four appearances for the Dragons. While those numbers may be reflective of a more forward-orientated role, he would definitely be looking to make use of his damaging disposal more consistently.

SUMMARY

Angus Hanrahan is a classy outside ball-user who, if used across half-back, will set play up, run, receive handballs and carry. When positioned up forward he will simply hit the scoreboard, while still providing that trademark outside ball use. A well-composed and clever player, he would be a good asset to any side with his speed and efficiency. With his upside and ability, Hanrahan could come into club thoughts from the third round onwards.

###

Tyron Smallwood

OVERVIEW

Tyron Smallwood first announced himself as serious draft prospect when he booted six goals against Australian Capital Territory (ACT) in the 2015 Australian Under 15 Football Championships. He continued to gain attraction the following in year in the AFL Under 16s Championships with sensational performances against Vic Metro (two goals) and Vic Country (17 possessions and a goal), highlighting his class inside 50. Then this year he played more as a midfielder highlighting his versatility. In just six games for Claremont’s Colts’ team, he polled 14 votes in the Jack Clarke Medal and 10 votes in the WAFL Colts Coaches Award, after averaging 24 possessions, five tackles, four marks and kicking seven goals. He also made his WAFL League debut against Swan Districts in round 21. Whether Smallwood plays through the midfield or in the forward half, he has a nice blend of skills, smarts, defensive pressure and scoreboard impact. While he could build more size and improve his speed, he has some real natural talents to look out for in this year’s National Draft.

STRENGTHS

• Skill execution
  • Decision making
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Tackling
When in the forward line, Smallwood plays as a “link-up” player much like Adelaide star Tom Lynch and he plays the role perfectly. His ability to penetrate the defensive zones with his elite kicking combined with his incredible footy nous is sublime. Smallwood often makes the right decision with ball in hand, due to his incredible vision.

Smallwood has also shown outstanding defensive traits, especially with his desire to chase and tackle. For Claremont’s Colts’ team he averaged five tackles per game, for Claremont’s Reserves’ team he averaged four tackles per game, while for Western Australia he averaged five tackles. Even if he does not lay a tackle, his chasing pressure often forces his opponent to turn the ball over.

Like any good small forward, Smallwood also knows how to kick goals. In six games for Claremont’s Colts’ team, Smallwood booted seven goals playing primarily as a midfielder, while in the Reserves he booted 10 goals from just four games playing as a small forward.

It is also worth noting that Smallwood made his WAFL League debut in round 21 against Swan Districts and did not disappoint with 11 possessions, three marks and a goal. He also played a part in the Tigers’ finals campaign and did well both against East Perth in the Elimination Final (eight disposals, three marks and one goal) and West Perth in the First Semi-Final (11 possessions, three inside 50s, and two tackles). By seeing Smallwood already playing against bigger bodies, it is clear he is ready from the get-go.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Size
  • Speed
With big-bodied midfielders in vogue, it will be hard for Smallwood (179cm) to break into the midfield. Albeit, he has the potential to play like Luke Dahlhaus when in the midfield considering his hunger for the contest. Dahlhaus’ ability to get forward and have an impact is also noticeable, but Smallwood’s first improvement is to continue building size to be able to spend more minutes in the midfield.

His speed is also a factor, as he does not have the blistering pace other similar shaped players have. In saying that, his endurance is very good and the more he uses that to his advantage the better. Given he has the skills and natural smarts, Smallwood’s speed is not something that limits him from performing, but just an area that can be worked upon in the future.

SUMMARY

Tyron Smallwood is a small forward who has the potential to play midfield due to his skills, decision-making and two-way running. He has already shown that he is capable of matching it with men in the WAFL League, playing two finals and not looking out of place. He has a strong blend of smarts and skill execution, and does all the defensive things asked of him by a coach. He does need to build some size, and is not the quickest small forward going around, but he knows how to combat situations thrown at him, and his versatility and decision making is very good.

###

Snoop Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back