Prediction 2018 Carlton Consensus Best 22 [Done and Dusted]

Who should be our 2018 Captain, 2 x Vice-Captains and 2 add. Leaders for Season 2018? (PICK FIVE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Forward line vote is hard and I assumed Dow as the 8th midfielder gets the last bench spot.

Went with ...

Jack. Charlie. Pickett.
Garlett. McKay. Fisher.

Pickett, Garlett and Fisher would wreak havoc up forward ...

We are not asked to vote for the seventh forward for the extra bench spot but it’s out of Wright and Lang IMO.

Not sure if McKay can pinch hit in the ruck 10-15% of game time to relieve Kreuzer and so Casboult might start forward instead and particularly if McKay doesn’t hit his straps during pre-season.

Can see Fisher and Cuningham on the bench with Kennedy in the forward pocket, particularly if Cripps starts in the center square.

Round 1 ... I can see McKay giving Rance a hard time, Charlie killing it, and we throw Weiters forward to win it in the last quarter.

Fisher being underrated here in my opinion. Don’t think he’ll miss a game barring injury and I reckon he’ll make the biggest improvements of any of our players.
Correct.

Made his debut in the Senior team round 4 and played 17 senior games, missed maybe for injuries / rest but didn’t play VFL again ...

One touch player.

Fisher being underrated here in my opinion. Don’t think he’ll miss a game barring injury and I reckon he’ll make the biggest improvements of any of our players.

Got a call from a Hawk tragic mate yesterday:

Me: Gday
Him: Whatya doin?
Me: Um actually i'm just writing down a carlton team for next year.
Him: Oh yeah, what is it?
Me: Blah blah blah....then at half forward i'm tossin up between Jed Lamb, Lang, Wright, Fisher and Cuningham. Dunno yet.
Him: You're ******* kidding aren't ya. Fisher's a gun. Put him in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me: Blah blah blah....then at half forward i'm tossin up between Jed Lamb, Lang, Wright, Fisher and Cuningham. Dunno yet.
Him: You're f'n kidding aren't ya. Fisher's a gun. Put him in.
Your mate might be on to something

Jimmae’s teamboard, hours of fun (though needs another update, Jimster)

Fisher is a definite 1st 22. Whether it be wing, fwd, or bench/mid.

I’ve said it before ...Cuningham is a good chance to play as our rebounding hbf’r. Has pace, skill, toughness and strength.
cunners is a goal kicker

Trade him for a 1st rounder.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The forward line is the most contentious as we have the least proven players in this area. We do have a lot of developing hope tho.

I feel good locking in C Curnow then that is it. The next player I'm most happy with is Silvagni but hope we can get a bit more out of him this year.

Wright just deserves the next spot as he has done nothing wrong and a lot right. Works hard.

Casbault has to slot in next because Mckay is not ready and there really isn't a better option.

This leaves two spots. Honestly, these 2 spots are the floating spots for a number of players: Fisher, Lang, Cuningham, Picket, and Murphy. No point picking 2 players as it will be equally shared and rotated through. Kennedy will probably rest there at times too.

My best 22:
Byrne Jones Plowman
Weitering Marchbank Simpson
SPS Cripps Murphy
Kreuzer Kennedy E.Curnow
JSos C.Curnow Lang
Wright Casboult Pickett
Int: Fisher, Cunningham, Garlett, Dow

I really like that side, happy with that every week. But then again, no Willlo.

Competition for spots, what a great feeling

I like the fact that you rate Polson enough to have him in the team ahead of Fisher and Garlett. I have hardly seen him play as I rarely watch the reserves (so I can’t judge him yet) but the more competition there is amongst these young mids the more the pressure is on them to perform and the quicker we will improve. It’d be great if the young players that most of us have lower expectations for really challenge for spots in the team this year and beyond. A really competitive squad where every player is hungry to be in the best 22 is what will drive us up the ladder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a fan but even more so after seeing him at training. Looks so much more mature and fitter. With structure I couldn’t fit Fisher even though I rate him highly. Just good to have options

Pre season and JLT will decide who plays Rd One out of Fisher Polson Cuningham Dow OBrien Garlett & Schumacher.

I just hope they keep improving and are all regulars by second half of the year

Last edited:
Thanks for all your work Matty411

Was the 8th midfielder the extra bench spot?

I suspect the 7th will start in the forward pocket (say Kennedy if Cripps is already in the square) and the 8th on the bench (either Dow or Lang) and then there’s Pickett and Garlett ...
Cheers mate, love doing these - always a fun exercise. Will revote for the last bench spot on Thursday or Friday. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest votes will be emergencies.

Last edited:
had to find a spot for jed lamb as a negating hf. needs to kick more goals but given how many teams drive attacking plays from hb it's a team balance choice.

mckay, casboult, jack, curnow, pickett & lamb

Just way too tall for me. Modern game is mobility and ability to lock it inside fwd 50. I really can’t see us going with more than 2 talls at any stage

Back