List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Clayton debate (abuse) has been done to death but essentially, this.
He was a talent scout but not a list manager's a-hole

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was decent at identifying talent and finding some gems late, as he proved over the 3 clubs.

However, you still have to be able to fill out a list with different types of players and build a well rounded squad, not just go for the home- run, potential-filled pick every time. Clayton never proved that he could do that as you can see with our list mis-management since inception. (Although 2014 looked like we could be well on our way).

That’s my point, this is not a Richmond forum. Keep your opinions limited and the back chat minimal. It’s patronising especially when it’s not your forum.
Be polite and curtious on this forum.

Mate, I reckon you've come on a bit strong there. I quite enjoy reading his posts as most times he presents an even view and it's good to get a perspective from an outside point of view.

And it's a job for our Moderators to oversee the outside point of view. If you don't appreciate his opinions, block him and that way he keeps posting his outside point of view and then I can decide for myself whether I block him or not...:)

That’s my point, this is not a Richmond forum. Keep your opinions limited and the back chat minimal. It’s patronising especially when it’s not your forum.
Be polite and curtious on this forum.
Mate im sure you have Mods here and they would have pulled me up on it and with respect im highly unlikely to give you any importance just because you have Gold Coast as your club having just joined last year and averaging 2 posts a week - I would not be surprised if this account you are using is an alternative account and you are a follower of another club.

Mods might be a good idea to check the IP on this account

Challenge Craig Cameron to pick 13 players that are better than Clayton previous Master piece . Talk are cheap just do it .

Challenge Craig Cameron to pick 13 players that are better than Clayton previous Master piece . Talk are cheap just do it .

I spent an evening and posted somewhere in this thread Craig Cameron's history with Melbourne and Richmond - lot more misses than hits so not overly confident.

We can only hope he has learnt about his own shortcomings over the journey and can employ the appropriate staff to delegate the areas he is weakest at.

Lindsay Gilbee, Brian Lake, Daniel Cross, Daniel Giansiracusa, Mith Hahn, Bob Murphy, Ryan Hargrave, Matthew Boyd, Dale Morris plus the blokes you mentioned. Not bad. At the Lions he recruited Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis, Simon Black, Nigel Lappin, Chris Scott, Luke Power, Daniel Bradshaw and Justin Leppitsch, among many others. What B-graders! Only 4 Brownlows!!
A bit like Silvagni at GWS, if you have enough picks some of them are going to turn out to be good players.

But it is the wasted selections over the years that you haven't mentioned.

Lets take 2000 draft for example. We used 4 picks in the main draft (1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th rounds) plus one pre-season draft selection and 6 rookies. Just one of those players (Cross, 4th round) was any good.

2001 draft. 5 picks in the main draft (1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th) plus two rookies. Burnt all the main draft picks except our 6th round selection (Lake). Boyd as a rookie was excellent, but the other rookie not so much. 2 out of 7 picks. The picks we traded away that year were for used to bring in 3 useless players.

His strike rate while with us was actually really low. Better at Brisbane no doubt. But overall shizen with us, burnt so many first rounders over the years.

Happy to hear that he set up some good academy options for you guys. We don't hear much about those types here in Melbourne. Hope they come good for you.

I spent an evening and posted somewhere in this thread Craig Cameron's history with Melbourne and Richmond - lot more misses than hits so not overly confident.

We can only hope he has learnt about his own shortcomings over the journey and can employ the appropriate staff to delegate the areas he is weakest at.
I hope so , if I'm not mistaken Dew going to be involve in this year trade and Draft .

Im not a fan of cameron based upon his body of work at Richmond,Hope he has better support and has developed his talent recognition since his time with us.

Im not a fan of cameron based upon his body of work at Richmond,Hope he has better support and has developed his talent recognition since his time with us.
For a start Corey Ellis,GHS and Anthony Miles will be on Craig account , not Clayton fault if they failed to perform .

It sounds like Kall Burns is the major guy as national recruiting manger and he's only started that rule in January progressing through from just a recruiting and football analysts in 2010 and a recruiting assistant in 2016.

A bit like Silvagni at GWS, if you have enough picks some of them are going to turn out to be good players.

But it is the wasted selections over the years that you haven't mentioned.

Lets take 2000 draft for example. We used 4 picks in the main draft (1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th rounds) plus one pre-season draft selection and 6 rookies. Just one of those players (Cross, 4th round) was any good.

2001 draft. 5 picks in the main draft (1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th) plus two rookies. Burnt all the main draft picks except our 6th round selection (Lake). Boyd as a rookie was excellent, but the other rookie not so much. 2 out of 7 picks. The picks we traded away that year were for used to bring in 3 useless players.

His strike rate while with us was actually really low. Better at Brisbane no doubt. But overall shizen with us, burnt so many first rounders over the years.

Happy to hear that he set up some good academy options for you guys. We don't hear much about those types here in Melbourne. Hope they come good for you.
Nobody, even the very best List Managers, has a great record in the Draft. 17 year olds are really difficult to assess. Do you remember Des Headland? That's who Clayton's replacement at Brisbane picked at number #1 after their spoon season. In fact, drafting at Brisbane after Clayton left was abysmal after Clayton left and it was only the recruitment of guys like Martin Pike and Mal Michael plus the father/son selection of Jonathan Brown that contributed to their premierships (Headland too, but they got rid of him pretty quickly). Even guys like Shane O'Bree, Jude Bolton, Brett Voss and Matthew Clarke were traded and went on to have better opportunities.

Again though, your assessment is glass half empty. In Clayton's 1999 Draft he recruited Bob Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Patrick Wiggins, Mitch Hahn, Lindsay Gilbee, Patrick Bowden and Ryan Hargrave = 5 of your best players of the past 20 years in one draft. He also traded Brett Montgomery, Stephen Powell, and Leon Cameron for Nathan Eagleton and 4 of the draft picks that helped select the blokes above. Depends on the year, you have to admit he had good ones and bad ones. 1999 was a thumping good one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig Cameron's got a General Manager of Football Operations running the show out of Carrara, Jon Haines, so he's out on the road and working with his own recruitment team that includes Kall Burns who has been around almost from the start. CC's got the funding and support that Clayton never had, but let's see how he executes his first Trade and Draft period after so far being given turd sandwiches in the Tom Lynch saga.

Keep in mind that the Power Rankings are an opinion-based ranking system, without taking into account AFL club finishing positions or needs – ie. not a Phantom Draft. It is purely measuring players on our opinion of their ability. Without further ado, here are our current top 35:

Keep in mind that the Power Rankings are an opinion-based ranking system, without taking into account AFL club finishing positions or needs – ie. not a Phantom Draft. It is purely measuring players on our opinion of their ability. Without further ado, here are our current top 35:
There could be as many as 10 players whose bids need to be matched in this top 40, which means that the Suns pick #41 early in the 3rd round could end up blowing out to the 4th round when you factor in all the bid matching after the 2nd round from the 4 NEAFL Academies, various father/sons and the Next Gen players. What likes like a good Draft hand for the Suns will mean nothing if all our picks outside the 1st round float out into the 40s.

Looking at the rest of the talent makes me think Freo is going to covet our late picks so they can pick up a whole pack of WA talent, like Ian Hill (cousin of Freo's Hill bros), Jarrod Cameron (brother of Charlie), Jordan Clark, Luke Foley, Sydney Stack and Damon Greaves. However, Hill and Clark are projecting late 1st early 2nd which is exactly where the Eagles picks are with our former 2nd and compo for Gaff, while Cameron is their Academy pick. Do you really think Freo will take 2 top 5 and a fifth rounder? Even with the Hogan trade, I still think Freo will want to trade their other early pick for our pick #18 which puts them ahead of the Eagles for Hill or Clark.

I also think the Suns can get Geelong to trade back, maybe even with GHS as part of the deal. Geelong have father/sons and Next Gen players to think about and some 2nd and 3rd round picks would help them because right now they don't pick until #47 after their 1st round pick #11 (which will probably be more like #60). I like Hately, Stocker and Collier-Dawkins at #11 (which will be around #14 by the time bids have been matched for Blakey, Thomas and West).

There could be as many as 10 players whose bids need to be matched in this top 40, which means that the Suns pick #41 early in the 3rd round could end up blowing out to the 4th round when you factor in all the bid matching after the 2nd round from the 4 NEAFL Academies, various father/sons and the Next Gen players. What likes like a good Draft hand for the Suns will mean nothing if all our picks outside the 1st round float out into the 40s.

Looking at the rest of the talent makes me think Freo is going to covet our late picks so they can pick up a whole pack of WA talent, like Ian Hill (cousin of Freo's Hill bros), Jarrod Cameron (brother of Charlie), Jordan Clark, Luke Foley, Sydney Stack and Damon Greaves. However, Hill and Clark are projecting late 1st early 2nd which is exactly where the Eagles picks are with our former 2nd and compo for Gaff, while Cameron is their Academy pick. Do you really think Freo will take 2 top 5 and a fifth rounder? Even with the Hogan trade, I still think Freo will want to trade their other early pick for our pick #18 which puts them ahead of the Eagles for Hill or Clark.

I also think the Suns can get Geelong to trade back, maybe even with GHS as part of the deal. Geelong have father/sons and Next Gen players to think about and some 2nd and 3rd round picks would help them because right now they don't pick until #47 after their 1st round pick #11 (which will probably be more like #60). I like Hately, Stocker and Collier-Dawkins at #11 (which will be around #14 by the time bids have been matched for Blakey, Thomas and West).
Really not sure but I presume swap pick 41 with Geelong 55 for GHS will happen if GC really want Koenan or a mature age player that still available at that pick . Basically anything after pick 55 academy players come free .

I've sort of been sitting on this for a little bit but thought I'd share anyway. I don't want to make our resident Scrimshaw-related lurker/poster upset. :/

My understanding on Scrimshaw is that GC will definitely trade him if a club is willing to pick him up. With this in mind GC won't just give him away for a bag of chips, but he's certainly gettable. Whether a club is willing to pick him up is another story, given his current salary and contract length.

Im interested in a Suns take on Scrimshaw. Whats the knock on him?

Is anyone else surprised with how many guns we have on our list??? Thorughout the year we’re constantly bashed for having the weakest list in the league however when a players name gets thrown up in a trade they are suddenly a gun, see Hall, KK, Barlow and Scrimshaw.....

Cheers, sounds like he got given his marching orders for good reason then.

Ironic that he is now at West Coast. :eek:
True .............

I have been around these parts for nearly 11 years and some of the crap i have seen is just crazy

But i always question when an account averages just 2 posts a week about the integrity of the poster specially when he has blocked his profile from seeing his older posts to see whats his form like.

Make way for...
The “Gun” :gun:

11 years lurking in the shadows swapping tazos and talking what if’s.
God damn, I’m not sure i should be impressed your on here that much or If I should be calling your caregiver...

No second account, I live in Mermaid, live near players, golf with some players and I jump on here to tell a few stories from my days outings.

All I said, was be mindful of genuine Suns supporters and don’t get arguing on here with them. You post more than any Suns member and you come across obnoxious at times. Then you proceed to try and belittle me, this is my point exactly, you don’t have the right to do so on this forum. Again, just my opinion. I won’t say another word on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back