List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does Briggs get picked up?
I see it as unlikely he receives a bid before #25 as there are too many better options for clubs. Around pick 30 seems right imo and I could see Doggies and Lions having the need but they have to take into account bids on West/MacFaydn so my options would be:
#34 Bombers
#35 Lions
#37 Tigers
#45 Doggies
#46 Saints
Just my opinion on the situation and some pick swaps could still happen but I think the Bombers pick is the earliest he could be bid on

My personal ratings for the players that the club may look at in order and taking into account the current picks the club has:
Caldwell Maybe gone
Duursma
Clark
Jones
O’Halloran
Stocker
RCD
I see higher risk with RCD and I think he could be an injury risk but it is just my personal opinion and I could be wrong but we won’t know for several years yet
Depending on how the draft goes for #25 I would look at Sturt or Taylor, I think the greater need is the midfield depth and I see these players as more risky picks and with Bonar on the list he plays that role as a medium forward and pinch hits in the midfield. Although McHenry is a talent I don’t see where he would fit in the list as a small forward with Langdon/Daniels on the list already. The other player mentioned often is Butters and I see him like Cumming as a lightweight undersized outside player that will take 2/3 years before they are ready to play senior football
It will be interesting to see where Ben King goes as he may around at the clubs picks but I don’t think the club will go near him and he could slip to the Cats or Crows if Port don’t pick him up

No issue with you not being keen on RCD but do find it odd that you suggest RCD could be an injury risk when up to this point that hasn't been a problem for him, while on the other hand you would be happy to take Caldwell who is a bloke that just can't get on the park.

Last edited:
Hawks won 3 flags in a row and they had speed in a few roles where it was needed rather than all over the ground.

Skill and decision making is more important. Especially for the players who have the ball in their hands all the time. Even more so at finals time when your opponent will make you pay for every mistake.

I think the Giants could benefit from the following. I don’t really follow the draftees so I’ll talk about roles.

1) Pure wingman. Someone with high footy IQ, who can run all day and dispose of the ball beautifully like Isaac Smith, Jared Polec.

2) Rebounding defender. High footy IQ, who can handle OK forwards without needing to be top class defensively, intercept and turn defence into attack in an instant.

3) Trainee ruck.

If a top class attacking mid like Rankine is available then you take them, but not sure there would be one at 9+.

Hawks won 3 flags in a row and they had speed in a few roles where it was needed rather than all over the ground.

Skill and decision making is more important. Especially for the players who have the ball in their hands all the time. Even more so at finals time when your opponent will make you pay for every mistake.

I think the Giants could benefit from the following. I don’t really follow the draftees so I’ll talk about roles.

1) Pure wingman. Someone with high footy IQ, who can run all day and dispose of the ball beautifully like Isaac Smith, Jared Polec.

2) Rebounding defender. High footy IQ, who can handle OK forwards without needing to be top class defensively, intercept and turn defence into attack in an instant.

3) Trainee ruck.

If a top class attacking mid like Rankine is available then you take them, but not sure there would be one at 9+.
All of those would be nice.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for us to adopt a game plan like the Hawks 3peat team though. I think it was very similar to the Eagies last year. It relies on great foot skills and decision making in posession. Essentially to avoid a contest as much as possible.

Our game plan is not to avoid the contest so much but to have it in the right place on the ground and win it.

The off season is the opportunity to train new tactics and make fundamental adjustments. I wonder the extent that game plan will become the trend. I'd be cautious about adopting it. If you do that you're always playing catch up.

The evidence of the last few years is the flag winner has the courage to make a new trend.

No issue with you not being keen on RCD but do find it odd that you suggest RCD could be an injury risk when up to this point that hasn't been a problem for him, while on the other hand you would be happy to take Caldwell who is a bloke that just can't get on the park.

Just a feeling I have as I feel he will have problems filling out his body, I will be ok if the club picks RCD but my expectations will be somewhat low as I don't think he will develop fully until year 4 or 5. 2 examples of taller mids that have taken time to develop are Blake Acres and Kyle Langford, I see it as clubs reaching for that Fyfe like player. Not saying that RCD couldn't be that type of player I just feel that he is one dimensional and IMO does not project as a threat in the forward 50

Just a feeling I have as I feel he will have problems filling out his body, I will be ok if the club picks RCD but my expectations will be somewhat low as I don't think he will develop fully until year 4 or 5. 2 examples of taller mids that have taken time to develop are Blake Acres and Kyle Langford, I see it as clubs reaching for that Fyfe like player. Not saying that RCD couldn't be that type of player I just feel that he is one dimensional and IMO does not project as a threat in the forward 50
Personally I see Rozee as being the player that plays most like a Fyfe. He has a strong athletic build, enormous leap and makes good decisions whilst still being daring himself. A good blend of strength, versatility, speed and class. I see him projecting as one of the best in this crop of draftees.

Your comment re Caldwell is very salient.

Hamstrings are actually one of the worst recurrent injuries for sports people and particularly for AFL footy players.

With the training loads required these days they are a part of the body that is under so much pressure and often when a player has a weakness there it is very hard to get right.

The people I know believe Caldwell rushed his comeback as he was panicking to get back in his draft year. If this is the case he could be fine, however the alternative is he becomes another Freeman or O’Rourke and just constantly battles.

On talent he is an absolute gun, a Luke Shuey type that would really help us to be better but just unsure about his body after a really interrupted year.

Last edited:
All of those would be nice.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for us to adopt a game plan like the Hawks 3peat team though. I think it was very similar to the Eagies last year. It relies on great foot skills and decision making in posession. Essentially to avoid a contest as much as possible.

Our game plan is not to avoid the contest so much but to have it in the right place on the ground and win it.

The off season is the opportunity to train new tactics and make fundamental adjustments. I wonder the extent that game plan will become the trend. I'd be cautious about adopting it. If you do that you're always playing catch up.

The evidence of the last few years is the flag winner has the courage to make a new trend.
Great post although I don’t really I agree.

To be clear, I am not proposing we copy the Hawks.

I am disputing that we should be overly concerned about drafting pace. We already have pace in the key roles we need it, other than perhaps a great wingman. Ie we shouldn’t get too distracted in the latest fad.

West Coast another great example that there’s plenty of ways to win a flag besides pace.

There was another thread recently about proposed game style changes for 2019 which was good.

Great post although I don’t really I agree.

To be clear, I am not proposing we copy the Hawks.

I am disputing that we should be overly concerned about drafting pace. We already have pace in the key roles we need it, other than perhaps a great wingman. Ie we shouldn’t get too distracted in the latest fad.

West Coast another great example that there’s plenty of ways to win a flag besides pace.

There was another thread recently about proposed game style changes for 2019 which was good.
Perhaps I did go off at a tangent a bit.
I think we do pretty much agree. I think the pace thing is perception rather than reality anyway.

Heater doesn't look that quick in real terms but he led us in running meters for a while. Now slowing down and running less with age. I'd say Gaff and Laird are similar. Much more effective than raw speed data would suggest.

To some extent running half backs and wingers can be compared I think. Smith to me has real legspeed, as does Whitfield and William's.

It's a lot of perception but if you look at the data Zac Langdon is surprisingly high for speed and distance, and Taranto covers a lot of of ground each game.

It's also true that the ball moves faster thriugh the air than by foot. We just aren't the running team we were. It seems to me a common evolution as young teams mature that they run the ball less often. You need it as an option and as a threat though. So I agree it isn't the sole focus and cant be.

Although we dont play posession at all costs as the primary plan, we still need to be competent at that as an option to close down games and as a tactical variation when necessary.

From a list point of view it's managed to a longer time frame than the evolution of tactics in the game. The best option for list management might be to to stay flexible as possible and keep a as wide a variety of player strengths as possible to keep your options open as the game evolves.

I think the Bulldogs are an example of what can happen if you ignore an aspect of list management. In their case their list didn't prioritise KPP or rucks, they won in 2016 with a brilliant gameplan, but lacked the flexibility to respond to rule changes and the evolution of tactics.

Last edited:
Nice write up on Briggs
A bid on Briggs — an aggressive ruck who uses his imposing frame to his advantage at stoppages then to apply pressure — could come as early as the first round of next week’s national draft. The Giants should match the bid, however a bid before their third selection (Pick 19) could make things tricky. Nothing is certain, but if the Giants picked him up, they know they’d have a beauty. “Coming into the season, I wasn’t expecting as much as I did get out of it, so I’m really happy with the way I went,” Briggs tells foxfooty.com.au. “It was probably a bit overwhelming. Being a 19-year-old, I had a bit of pressure on my shoulders, but I think I handled it pretty well and the family’s proud of me.” It’s a significant rise for Briggs, who, by his own admission, wasn’t in draft contention 12 months ago. Briggs “didn’t have the greatest year” in 2017, despite being eligible to be drafted, keen to get drafted and tied to the Giants’ academy. After coming off two knee surgeries — including a reconstruction — Briggs had a delayed pre-season and was seemingly playing catch-up all year, which contributed to a lack of confidence playing in the NEAFL. But the Giants quickly moved to assure Briggs they’d keep him in their academy as a 19-year-old for 2019. “I wasn’t expecting anyone to call me out, really but it was still upsetting. I had that in the back of my mind though that I knew it wasn’t the end,” Briggs says.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/26fb53158136f08ec284307fcb9123d7

Last edited:
http://m.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine

Draft Machine is up, now you can check out all the players and see their highlights!

Check out Jye Caldwell....what a ripping highlights package. He would be sensational for us. Sam Sturt looks a very natural footy player, good mark, very good kick, like him. Collier-Dawkins talent is off the charts, he looks the quickest tall mid and his hands are Clayton Oliver like.

I know people are tending to talk down this draft from being a superdraft but by gee, there are a heap of kids there you would be more then happy to have at your club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caldwell looks like a gem if he can stay on the park. A class above in the highlights reel. That being said not sure if i trust our medical team to keep him fit. We had a great talent with Setterfield who struggled wit injuries before and after joining the giants and has subsequently left after playing a handful of games. Would hate a repeat of that.

Slight update and sounds like we might want to move up to 7 to get Jones ahead of the crows

There has also been some talk of a possible pick swap that could see GWS move up the draft order and secure Pick 7. The Giants recently met with Tasmanian Chayce Jones, who appears all but certain to be a top-10 selection, with Adelaide another club keen on the midfielder’s services.
Elsewhere in the first round, inside midfielders Liam Stocker, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Luke Valente and Jackson Hately have been linked with GWS and Geelong.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...r/news-story/e7b0a4f7fe8af8d679cafb1517986627

Last edited:
Slight update and sounds like we might want to move up to 7 to get Jones ahead of the crows

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...r/news-story/e7b0a4f7fe8af8d679cafb1517986627

That makes sense for Western Bulldogs to make that trade if they want Bailey Smith as Smith won’t get picked by an interstate club as he has made it very clear he won’t stick around.

If Bulldogs traded 7 to us for 9 they still more then likely get their man and would clearly get an upgrade (perhaps our 19 for their 27?)

I’d say if it is we get 7 and take Jones Adelaide take either Caldwell or Clarke at 8, Dogs take Smith at 9, Port take Clarke or Hately at 10 leaving us Collier-Dawkins, Sturt, Stocker, Duursma, Butters or whomever Port don’t take out of Clarke/Hately with our 11.

We must really love Jones! I guess there is no go home factor!!

Please be a new Head of High Performance...

I can dream.

3d913465f4ac0c019f93d43999a1fd96.gif

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back