Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Part 1 (continued in Part 2 - see OP for link)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you previously criticise posters wanting Shiel and call him overrated and their 3rd best mid and your alternative is Brayshaw, please, where does Brayshaw rank at the Demons?

Yep. I think Shiel is being massively over rated. And I don't believe I criticized anyone. Please show me where I did this. And Yes, I think Angus Brayshaw is a better fit for us.

Yep. I think Shiel is being massively over rated. And I don't believe I criticized anyone. Please show me where I did this. And Yes, I think Angus Brayshaw is a better fit for us.

Not a direct quote but you said, Shiel is massively overrated, all this fawning over a teams 3rd possibly 4th best mid is crazy.

That’s a criticism of the posters that rate Shiel highly, I didn’t mean you criticised anybody personally.

I’m a big fan of Brayshaw and I would love to get him but if I have a choice I’m going Shiel by a mile. Brayshaw has shown zero over his career and has only just started to string some good games together.

Well he kind of is considering he is free a year later. I get what you're saying though. But i don't think this year is the year we should trade a top 2 pick

Nah I'm all for going after him next year as a FA. Think it's a very bad move to trade pick #1 for him. I don't think he'll walk out while he's contracted anyway.

Mentioned on AFL Tonight that Matthew Panton could be a Cat B rookie but Collingwood leading the race with interest from Carlton & STK.
194cm, 100kgs, ex-Aussie punter at USA college.

Not a direct quote but you said, Shiel is massively overrated, all this fawning over a teams 3rd possibly 4th best mid is crazy.

That’s a criticism of the posters that rate Shiel highly, I didn’t mean you criticised anybody personally.

I’m a big fan of Brayshaw and I would love to get him but if I have a choice I’m going Shiel by a mile. Brayshaw has shown zero over his career and has only just started to string some good games together.

I forget that it was 2018 where everyone is horribly offended by everyone and everything. Sorry, not sorry for my " apparent criticism ". LOL!

If they all become guns we trade them man. Strong VFL team. TDK will replace Kreuzer longterm hopefully. All good.

How will they all become guns when only 2 maybe 3 of them can play seniors at the same time? We will just end up ruining their development and they will end up disenchanted with the club because they can’t get an opportunity and look elsewhere. On top of that they will see the $$ they are missing out on because they could be a starting forward at a rival.

I would almost guarantee you that if we bring in Lukosius next year and a Harry spends another year playing VFL it won’t be us trying to trade him, it will be his manager ringing around selling his client and we will end up forced to take unders.

We just can not have this many 200cm developing forwards all trying to play the same position, especially when our need for mids is so extreme. We also have future drafts, FA options for the future if one of them falls over.

I forget that it was 2018 where everyone is horribly offended by everyone and everything. Sorry, not sorry for my " apparent criticism ". LOL!
I'm offended by your inferences.

Still don't get it. Why would we give up valuable picks this year and or next, for a player like Shiel, when he is a FREE hit next year
I am warming to the idea.
How about Shiel for a swap of our first for GWS’ first (currently pick 9)?
Instantly bolsters our midfield, support for Cripps.
Maybe a year early, but perhaps best meets our needs.

Last edited:
Our players. There's no rush just yet.
Why do people think we have no mids? Give Dow, O'Brien, Fisher etc another year. Trade in Brodie and Lloyd. Maybe gaff via fa. We will improve next year. Shiel and Kelly the next. Look at it on paper.
The only mids who were injured this week was Murphy, Kerridge and if we played him there Cuningham.
Our midfield is extremely shallow if it takes 1-2 injuries and we play Kerridge or Graham.

There is no shame being third banana to Kelly and Coniglio. Most midfielders at other clubs would be behind them too.
Shiel would be a very good get for us and given how we are going and our need for class midfielders to support Crippa I would trade for him this year even if he would ‘come for free’ next year.
What if Murphy ups and leaves?

There is no shame being third banana to Kelly and Coniglio. Most midfielders at other clubs would be behind them too.
Shiel would be a very good get for us and given how we are going and our need for class midfielders to support Crippa I would trade for him this year even if he would ‘come for free’ next year.
What if Murphy ups and leaves?
Murphy will up and leave soon to retirement .
Also for where our midfield is for every quality player that goes out Gibbs then possibly Murphy soon we need to be replacing them with 2 quality players to get ahead of the curve again .
And not end up with as you say the Kerridges and Grahams coming in .
The club has said they want players in the Shiel age bracket well lets see them .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How will they all become guns when only 2 maybe 3 of them can play seniors at the same time? We will just end up ruining their development and they will end up disenchanted with the club because they can’t get an opportunity and look elsewhere. On top of that they will see the $$ they are missing out on because they could be a starting forward at a rival.

I would almost guarantee you that if we bring in Lukosius next year and a Harry spends another year playing VFL it won’t be us trying to trade him, it will be his manager ringing around selling his client and we will end up forced to take unders.

We just can not have this many 200cm developing forwards all trying to play the same position, especially when our need for mids is so extreme. We also have future drafts, FA options for the future if one of them falls over.
McKay and Lukosius play completely different rolls so he won't be keeping him out. If McKay isn't getting a game it will be because of Casboult, TDK and possibly but less likely Kerr. All McKay has to do is play half reasonable football and he has a spot.

There is no way Brayshaw is a better fit than Shiel. Shiel is an elite runner, explosive and a better disposer than Brayshaw. Plus Brayshaw is 1 concussion Away from retirement. I respect your view but at the same time I do not agree with it.

How is Dylan Shiel a quick fix?

He would provide a lot to our midfield not just in terms of what he does on field but what he can teach the youngsters.
Exactly this. It won’t mean we will start winning games every week but it makes us more competitive and that in its self will be huge for the kids development. Trying to build confidence in a team getting smacked every week is not going to help the youngsters. Adding Shiel makes us more competitive and also is another player that can help with developing the young kids. If you think about it, it’s actually the opposite of a quick fix, it helps us in the long run.

Exactly this. It won’t mean we will start winning games every week but it makes us more competitive and that in its self will be huge for the kids development. Trying to build confidence in a team getting smacked every week is not going to help the youngsters. Adding Shiel makes us more competitive and also is another player that can help with developing the young kids. If you think about it, it’s actually the opposite of a quick fix, it helps us in the long run.

Correct. But for the right price. We'd be stupid to hand over pick #1 for him when he's a FA next year. There's been nothing to suggest he wants to walk out.

I'm happy to wait 1 more season and not spend any of our trade commodities on him then to spend one of our most valuable. We're going to struggle next year regardless of having Shiel in the team anyway.

Correct. But for the right price. We'd be stupid to hand over pick #1 for him when he's a FA next year. There's been nothing to suggest he wants to walk out.

I'm happy to wait 1 more season and not spend any of our trade commodities on him then to spend one of our most valuable. We're going to struggle next year regardless of having Shiel in the team anyway.

Shiel may want to compensate his old team instead of leaving them with nothing the next year. So he may request a trade at the end of the season. Judd wanted west coast compensated before coming home. So it may actually makes sense that Shiel would want to come home a year before his contract is up. Of course like you said, there is nothing to suggest Shiel wants to come home so everything at this stage is just speculation.

We wouldn't be stupid at all. Shiel is quality and exactly what we need.

If you're courting a player and he decides he wants to leave, you can't then simply tell him to hang around another year and we'll grab you cheaper the next.
It doesn't work like that.

Again though, Shiel may come cheaper than for his real value, as he is a FA next year and if he wants out, GWS may well accomodate.
GWS won't allow Taranto to go along with him, but maybe Setterfield and we know SOS likes Setterfield. So would something like that work for us?
i.e. Shiel & Setterfield for pick #1 (should we have it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back