Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Part 1 (continued in Part 2 - see OP for link)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF Shiel wants out this year we just through everything we have at him.Whatever pick 1,2 or 3 and if required next years first if need be.These players don’t grow on trees.

I think it’s important to remember that SOS has proven to continually think outside of the box regarding trades. Of course, would trust that he pushes Adelaide to be the ones losing out on value in order to get pick one, but that doesn’t have to be confined to what they start the week with.

i.e. if they finish with a bundle of say pick 8, 9, 13 and 19 (or whatever has been theorised previously) I can see him saying “whilst you have the means to make the points add up, pick 8/9 is not high enough for us to be comfortable. We need something in the top 5”

Adelaide go around and offer packages to GC or others in order to move up the order, eventually offering us something more like 4/5 + 13.

I’d be much more comfortable with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with Shiel is he was incapable of carrying that midfield when they were struggling. He would be their third midfielder behind Coniglio and Kelly. If we miss out on him it not a big deal. He like Gaff would only come to us for $$$ so we would be much better off overpaying Gaff and bringing in Lukosius or Walsh ect than chasing him this year and giving up a heap in terms of draft picks

Shiel wouldn’t be coming to us for $$$$, his childhood dream is to play for Carlton.

That's on the proviso that Shiel desperately wants to move this year and can't wait. Would he prefer to come to us next year without much more improvement to our list or wait 12 months and join us in a better situation? Spend 1 more in Sydney, win more games than you lose, come join us when we're ready to launch.

Everything is just hyperthericals at this stage, it’s possible the Giants might want to trade as they know their return next year will be a lot less. They are in a bit of strife salary wise with Toby Greene deferring half of his next years wage just months after signing a new deal. Cognition also a FA next year.

Maybe. Id rather look in Angus Brayshaw's direction considering he is OOC. We can offer him more than the Dee's can I reckon.

Did you previously criticise posters wanting Shiel and call him overrated and their 3rd best mid and your alternative is Brayshaw, please, where does Brayshaw rank at the Demons?

It could also go down like this.

Shiel to manager ‘I desperately want to get back to Melbourne, I’m done up here, I’d love to play for the Blues’
Manager to SOS “Dylan is desperate to get to Carlton this trade period”
SOS to manger “Thanks but we aren’t nterested in Dylan this year because we have to pay so we will wait”
Manager to Shiel “Carlton aren’t interested this year, told me, you have to wait until next year, they obviously don’t think you’re worth it. But I’ve got good offers from 4 other Vic clubs”

This, we will just get him next year talk really annoys me, if Dylan decides he wants out and GWS are willing to trade then you don’t burn your bridges by telling him/them nah we will wait until next year so we can screw you over.

It’s possible SOS might be in to another FA next year.

Dylan will honour his contract. Doesn't seem like the Gibbs type to ask to leave mid contract.

Draft Luko. Kitchen sink at Gaff and/or Shiel next year. Win.
Exactly! If you think about trades, players cost both money and picks.

Id say its approx 200k per draft point.

E.g. Pick 1 = 3500 points = $700,000.00

So when you acquire players, be that by free agency or trade, you can try to estimate what houre giving up by the amount you overpay.

What does this mean? If you are considering bringing Shiel by trade vs FA...
If you give up pick 1, its the equivalent of overpaying him by $700,000.00 (on top of his salary).
Thats how much it costs the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is going to kick it to them?

I was saying that in reference to a poster who said if we draft Lukosius then we’d have to trade McKay.

Taking 1 to the draft doesn’t mean we can’t pick up mids with our other picks, or through trading or free agency.

There’s more than 3 players on the ground.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It depends on the type of tall forward.

3 buddies? No problem. He's tall but very quick, decently agile and can provide forward pressure/tackle.

It's about forward pressure and not having too many immobile players.

2 Casboults would probably be too much, let alone 3. They're slow and have a turning circle of a truck.

Luko - apparently runs all day
Charlie - super mobile, can play like a mid
H - the question mark of the 3, but he's deceptively quick (think: Joe Daniher)
Throw in Kerr and BSOS too. And TDK. If 1-2 of them are in the side as well we will have one too many

If they all become guns we trade them man. Strong VFL team. TDK will replace Kreuzer longterm hopefully. All good.
Yeah I wasn't talking about right now to trade McKay. Just down the line 6 won't go into 3-4. Decent spot to be in. But just wonder if we could be even better off without the burden of having the #1 pick and taking Lukoscious

How is Dylan Shiel a quick fix?

He would provide a lot to our midfield not just in terms of what he does on field but what he can teach the youngsters.

Well he kind of is considering he is free a year later. I get what you're saying though. But i don't think this year is the year we should trade a top 2 pick

Throw in Kerr and BSOS too. And TDK. If 1-2 of them are in the side as well we will have one too many

They won’t all be in the side at once.

Kreuz or TDK ruck
Harry FF/relief ruck
Charlie CHF
Lukosius 3rd tall/high half forward

Kerr is a bit of a project player being a later pick and is no guarantee to stay on the list long term.

Ben hasn’t been drafted and the way it’s looking he might even end up on the rookie list.

Pretty fair to say that Casboult and Lobbe aren’t anything more than short term list prospects and will surely be gone at the end of their contracts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back