List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it for the last few years. Couldn’t be any more obvious what this list needs. Experienced premiership winners. Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis type situation. Zero faith that this list manager is competent enough to realise it though.

I get it now

Unless it is Lyon coaching and SOS doing the list management you will continue with a premeditated negativity to what we can achieve

But, as for this particular contribution, a fair number of people end of last year suggested we needed premiership/finals experience just to make the 8 this year

We must have just been lucky

If we can land

Elijah Hollands (22)
James Harmes (27)
and have 3 picks inside 35 to bring in 3 talent kids
plus a targeted DFA/Rookie or 2

then I will be very happy. It's all we need to do as I believe we have a lot of improvement in our current list.

We have a lot of people out of contract next year and will be in a great position Salary Cap wise

Last edited:

Brisbane clearly don’t have a salary cap and Collingwood culled big dollar good players to get their extras

Circa 2023, Carlton actually has a salary cap to play within so who we trading out on big dollaroos?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.
I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane have less over $700k players on their list than Carlton.
I know salaries aren't disclosed, but it would be interesting to compare which clubs 'groups of well paid' as opposed to a more even spread over the entire list.
Is it better to have say 2 or 3 on the rich list and the majority of the best say 20, earning/performing good coin to attract more solid 'B' graders?

Would be happy to try our luck with Holland's brother.

Harmes is silly and only complicates other mid selections of same ilk.

Anyone know what Young is on? Hope it isn't much as that will cost us for some time. I wonder how they couldnt see the obvious. Even during his good patch it was really clear that Young is very good at running and jumping contests, and woeful at body on body (cant hold ground) contests. Terrible with ground contests and terrible in the hustle and bustle of the square/blocking and staying on your man (physically poor). Personally I'd be looking to offload him as we have no real cover for Weitering. Durdin is a reach if we were to rely on him.

More and more you can see Weitering wants to be freed up. We just need a lockdown potatoe who is B grade and doesnt cost much. young is just a very very poor version of weitering with half the skillset. No one needs an intercept defender that then kicks sideways.

On a more positive note, like Charlie C, i think this latter part of the season shows high potential for Marchbank next year. Signs are there he could fulfil the Lever type role if he can hold up with a full pre-season. In that Brisbane game which was a tough test he showed up. You could see he lacked leg speed a bit so a full pre-season can help give him that extra 10% there in 2024. Will make a big difference for him allowing better intercepts, tackles and holding ground.

We cooled on Gresham.
He had interest in us, and a figure around 500k seemed to be the going rate.
But SOS was never going to let him leave for a band 3 compo pick and we were never going to enter into a bidding war for a player like that.

Saints and Bombers are now working together to do some very clever/edgy deals that would see the saints take Shiel and his full salary for a semi high pick, but the bombers will the pay Gresham extreme overs to ensure the saints get band 1 compo… clever… dodgy… somewhere in the middle. These are the deals the SOS and Adrian like to do.
Dodo going out in a Blaze of 'Glory' with a dodgey deal by the looks!

We got Marchbank who’s now in his prime in a premiership window.. how useful would Tuohy be at this stage? And that’s the worst trade you can come up with.

Let’s just wait a couple of years and see how the saints are going. Sos will make it 3/3 for building flag contending lists.
SOS did a lot good, but trades such as giving Tuohy away for ‘nothing’ (swap of round picks - and don’t dress it up as anything more) was a huge blunder. You don’t give premiership players away for pick swaps of such low calibre, let alone minimum return. Facts please.

Brisbane clearly don’t have a salary cap and Collingwood culled big dollar good players to get their extras

Circa 2023, Carlton actually has a salary cap to play within so who we trading out on big dollaroos?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No need to, we just need to target a few players who will be best 22.

Gunston and McKenna wouldn’t have cost much.

I doubt Hill would have cost much too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp's problem as a forward is that he wasn't holding his marks and his kicking was erratic. Neither of those is something he can't fix. Certainly, he was holding his marks better as a defender and his field kicking wasn't bad.

That said, if he goes forward, who goes back? Sam Durdin hasn't really had a chance to show his wares: the only time we really needed him, he was injured. Young has gone backwards, a long way backwards.

I wouldn't say it was time to end the Young experiment, but I would be recruiting a decent tall defender with an eye to groom him to be #2 defender in a couple of years. McGovern and Kemp, with the other 2 guys, can probably hold the fort until then.

Another idea is what to do with Dom Akeui: he played forward a couple of times late in the season. He is quite a good kick and he will take mark of the year someday. Not sure he is the answer, but he is developing.

Lemmey worries me at this point. His work as a 2nd ruck isn't bad, but he seems to lack intensity. Confidence? And one can never be sure how he will develop, so I won't be critical of him yet.
he did well last year; he can refind form. perhaps he was injured. "low grade niggle"

I watched the game live (mostly) and also have seen the replays twice.

The two things that stand out to me.

1. We ran out of legs and we're carrying way more injured players than what was ever reported. We played a team that was completely fresh on their home deck where they've not lost all year. You give us a top 4 place next year and it comes down to winning that first final.

2. I think we tried to beat them at their own game much more than what we should have. I think this is something that the coaches will learn from over the coming few months and We will grow from it

Will be genuinely interested to see the list of players who going for some sort of surgery over the next week or so. I think it'll be much longer than what we thought.

Their fifth year of finals to our first. Fine was experience also comes into play pretty significantly.
Or we were just beaten by the better team

If we can land

Elijah Hollands (22)
James Harmes (27)
and have 3 picks inside 35 to bring in 3 talent kids
plus a targeted DFA/Rookie or 2

then I will be very happy. It's all we need to do as I believe we have a lot of improvement in our current list.

We have a lot of people out of contract next year and will be in a great position Salary Cap wise

I think Stamos pointed out that we are currently +3 for list spots.

I’d expect Hollands to cost a 3rd

Harmes a 4th or two

Then to have three picks inside 35 means we would need to move on 8 players, that’s before any free agents.

Is that realistic?

I like the idea of Hollands and Harmes and an extra pick in the top 30.

Do you have any workings on how to fit this many additions or where to get the picks?

Jeka from Hawthorn as a DFA, please - KPP depth for both ends, done for bugger all outlay.
I remember seeing him playing for Box Hill against Carlton a few years back when they gave us a belting - thought Jeka looked really good. Tall, mobile, and only just turned 22yo - so potentially still has plenty of upside.

Definitely worth a look, although you've gotta wonder why they let him go. It's not like they're overly blessed with a plethora of talls on their list.

I remember seeing him playing for Box Hill against Carlton a few years back when they gave us a belting - thought Jeka looked really good. Tall, mobile, and only just turned 22yo - so potentially still has plenty of upside.

Definitely worth a look, although you've gotta wonder why they let him go. It's not like they're overly blessed with a plethora of talls on their list.

As long as it's not disciplinary stuff, I'm not too fussed. We'd be taking him purely as depth with a slim chance of everything clicking and him overtaking Marchy or Kemp.

Reckon it would be short term as well - one year deal, extend him for another if he fits in well, buy ourselves some extra development time with Lemmey and O'Keeffe, as well as the flexibility to consider drafting a suitable KPP prospect in the next couple of years. If he performs well enough to warrant 3+ years on the list he's an absolute steal, if he makes way within 1-2 years it's cost us pretty much nil.

Let others chase and overpay for Chol, Ratugolea etc. Pick up a bargain in Jeka or Khamis instead.

As long as it's not disciplinary stuff, I'm not too fussed. We'd be taking him purely as depth with a slim chance of everything clicking and him overtaking Marchy or Kemp.

Reckon it would be short term as well - one year deal, extend him for another if he fits in well, buy ourselves some extra development time with Lemmey and O'Keeffe, as well as the flexibility to consider drafting a suitable KPP prospect in the next couple of years. If he performs well enough to warrant 3+ years on the list he's an absolute steal, if he makes way within 1-2 years it's cost us pretty much nil.

Let others chase and overpay for Chol, Ratugolea etc. Pick up a bargain in Jeka or Khamis instead.
I'd probably be more inclined to take him if it's disciplinary...there's a small chance maturity kicks in and away we go.
But if it's coz he's a shitty footballer, then I'm not sure there's any coming back from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back