List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We cooled on Gresham.
He had interest in us, and a figure around 500k seemed to be the going rate.
But SOS was never going to let him leave for a band 3 compo pick and we were never going to enter into a bidding war for a player like that.

Saints and Bombers are now working together to do some very clever/edgy deals that would see the saints take Shiel and his full salary for a semi high pick, but the bombers will the pay Gresham extreme overs to ensure the saints get band 1 compo… clever… dodgy… somewhere in the middle. These are the deals the SOS and Adrian like to do.
so glad we missed getting Shiel

I'd probably be more inclined to take him if it's disciplinary...there's a small chance maturity kicks in and away we go.
But if it's coz he's a shitty footballer, then I'm not sure there's any coming back from that.

My thinking is that for a depth KPP we just want a solid C grade option who will do the job we ask without making waves. If they've got scope for improvement, that's a bonus.

There's an argument to take on a high risk, high reward recruit, but I think if we do it's better off being a small forward or mid, where we have the depth to cover gaps while we try to get them settled and on track. Lance Collard with a late pick, for example.

We've got bugger all KPP depth, so if we're gonna recruit to cover it I just want reliability.

It sounds great that growth will come from within and I’m sure lots will, but every other club has kids developing and players coming back from injury, what’s to say our players will develop better?

Brisbane added Dunkley, McKenna, Gunston and 2 first round draft picks.

Collingwood added Mckstay, Hill and Mitchell.

We don’t need to break the bank or we don’t need a star, but we need to improve our best 22. There’s plenty of low cost options to do this.
Adding Williams and E Hollands to start with imo will be a very very good start.

Of course we would love another big name to go with it, but with 2 highly skilled Irish talents, Cowan and Binns just as a start, I'm confident our best 22 will look a little different come August/September next year.

We should not be looking short term with our list management. We have most of the players already on our list. Give them some experience and finish top 4 and we potentially make the GF and have a good crack at winning.

Things I would like to see.

Hollands over time transition to midfield and allow Binns to play wing.
TDK to take #1 ruck and move Harry to second ruck or at worst JSOS.

Cowan develops nicely and gives us some run and carry from the back half.

Then like Collingwood did with Bobby Hill and Markov - Find some quick players on other teams.

GCS - Jeffrey, Farrar, Rosas style players
WCE - Jermaine Jones

I would not mind some of those players to increase our speed around the ground.

Draft - Hardman or Tholstrup

As long as it's not disciplinary stuff, I'm not too fussed. We'd be taking him purely as depth with a slim chance of everything clicking and him overtaking Marchy or Kemp.

Reckon it would be short term as well - one year deal, extend him for another if he fits in well, buy ourselves some extra development time with Lemmey and O'Keeffe, as well as the flexibility to consider drafting a suitable KPP prospect in the next couple of years. If he performs well enough to warrant 3+ years on the list he's an absolute steal, if he makes way within 1-2 years it's cost us pretty much nil.

Let others chase and overpay for Chol, Ratugolea etc. Pick up a bargain in Jeka or Khamis instead.
Khamis is the GO...

Jeka, doesn't even look up to VFL standard as a forward...

Khamis is the GO...

Jeka, doesn't even look up to VFL standard as a forward...

100%. If we’re going down that path of a third tall for depth then Khamis is a better option. He has proven a little bit at AFL level and not looked out of place. We don’t need any more projects on this list. We have Mirkov (won’t likely make it), O’Keefe (bullish on), Lemmey (bullish on) already. If as expected we lose Dow and Fish then we need ready to go replacements. Which I suppose is why the names like Harmes are being floated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Edmund has said a couple of times that we are looking at Hayden Crozier. Is this an Ed Curnow replacement? The tagger we need.

Sam Edmund has said a couple of times that we are looking at Hayden Crozier. Is this an Ed Curnow replacement? The tagger we need.

He's a medium defender. The player he most closely resembles in terms of style on our list is Nick Newmam. Definately not a mid or tagger. Could pinch hit forward maybe.

Hopefully it is more than I used to be list manager at the doggies so he is good type of thing.

Personally, I dont get it.

Noticed he has been injured a lot the last three seasons so maybe we are looking to replace Marchbank/Cunners with someone new.

He's a medium defender. The player he most closely resembles in terms of style on our list is Nick Newmam. Definately not a mid or tagger. Could pinch hit forward maybe.

Hmm, maybe I got the idea that both the former Freo guys, de Boer and Crozier was being used as taggers.

I mean, he's a seasoned player. I don't recall much about foot speed or anything. Can he lock down on small forwards?

I feel we have a heap of B and C grade players who offer a lot when we are on song, but have deficiencies that hurt us in big moments. These are the ones we need to replace over time.

I don't see Fogarty, Owies, Cuningham, Pittonet, Fisher, Young, O'Brien, Plowman, Honey as premiership players going forward, plus anybody who didn't play a senior game this season aside from Williams, Binns and O'Keeffe. I still have hope for Carroll and Dow.

Don't get me wrong, Fog, Owies and Cunners were important additions to our side and our resurgence but it was more a dynamic thing than a matchwinning thing.

This is my controversial call ... Nic Newman has had a career season, but he is over 30 and his lack of pace contrasts with the jobs he is expected to do deep in defence. He can get found out when it matters most. He will always rack up numbers, but we play 3 tall defenders and I feel we need our 3 small/medium defenders to have pace. We get killed by small forwards a lot.

We should not be looking short term with our list management. We have most of the players already on our list. Give them some experience and finish top 4 and we potentially make the GF and have a good crack at winning.

Things I would like to see.

Hollands over time transition to midfield and allow Binns to play wing.
TDK to take #1 ruck and move Harry to second ruck or at worst JSOS.

Cowan develops nicely and gives us some run and carry from the back half.

Then like Collingwood did with Bobby Hill and Markov - Find some quick players on other teams.

GCS - Jeffrey, Farrar, Rosas style players
WCE - Jermaine Jones

I would not mind some of those players to increase our speed around the ground.

Draft - Hardman or Tholstrup
Any of the bolded would do nicely, all have traits we need and still young

What are everyone’s thoughts on Lachlan Schultz. Is he a FA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back