List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Paddy Dow likely to leave what about James Harmes from Melbourne as midfield backup? Turns 28 soon, was a 2022 Premiership player and has 150 games of experience.

What are everyone’s thoughts on Lachlan Schultz. Is he a FA?
Unrestricted Free agent at the end of ‘24. So contracted. A very under rated player by many. While not pure silk, is one of those hard working modern pressure forwards who has sufficient skill to be a scoreboard threat. Very high impact.

I remain optimistic that with a good run at at, our own Corey Durdin will be similar, with perhaps a dash more class. Motlop has more potential, but on output Schultz would consistently be ahead of our current fleet in my opinion.

What would it take to pry Chris Burgess out of Gold Coast (contracted to end of next year)?

Undersized ruck/forward who is very handy around his feet and who can lead-up mark all day. Going at over 3 goals a game, absolutely wasted in the VFL.

What would it take to pry Chris Burgess out of Gold Coast (contracted to end of next year)?

Undersized ruck/forward who is very handy around his feet and who can lead-up mark all day. Going at over 3 goals a game, absolutely wasted in the VFL.

Might come down to Dimma's plans.

Chol out could mean that Burgess gets the tap on the shoulder to say "we're gonna need you in the seniors next year" and he may choose to hang around rather than play a depth role for us.

Might come down to Dimma's plans.

Chol out could mean that Burgess gets the tap on the shoulder to say "we're gonna need you in the seniors next year" and he may choose to hang around rather than play a depth role for us.
We would not be attractive to Burgess. We cannot truthfully offer him game time in the seniors.

Unless he is enjoying the Gold Coast lifestyle, he should be done at the Suns. Jed Walter is a generational talent and physically mature enough to play from day one. Ben King is a staple. Lukosius is now a forward staple. Levi has the forward/ruck spot for another season. They are stacked.

Decent lead up forward and would be solid at AFL level for a needy team. Hard to see him at either club.

Nice write up on E Hollands pre draft that might get some of you filthy animals salivating

Hmmm - looks like just what we need.

A mid size (188cm) mid/forward option (21 years old) who is good on the ground and in the air.

Adds another J Martin (who is about to turn 29) type to forward line.

Ideal FWD mix is 2 x talls, 2 x “3rd talls” 2 x smalls.

Shouldn’t cost too much given he’s been playing VFL most of last 2 years.

IIRC dominated in VFL Grand Final at the weekend.

Hard to see how we could go wrong with this move

I suspect that let him go for nothing if he wants to leave. Perfect depth option. We need another ready made KPF. It's a big gap on our list

I feel we have a heap of B and C grade players who offer a lot when we are on song, but have deficiencies that hurt us in big moments. These are the ones we need to replace over time.

I don't see Fogarty, Owies, Cuningham, Pittonet, Fisher, Young, O'Brien, Plowman, Honey as premiership players going forward, plus anybody who didn't play a senior game this season aside from Williams, Binns and O'Keeffe. I still have hope for Carroll and Dow.

Don't get me wrong, Fog, Owies and Cunners were important additions to our side and our resurgence but it was more a dynamic thing than a matchwinning thing.

This is my controversial call ... Nic Newman has had a career season, but he is over 30 and his lack of pace contrasts with the jobs he is expected to do deep in defence. He can get found out when it matters most. He will always rack up numbers, but we play 3 tall defenders and I feel we need our 3 small/medium defenders to have pace. We get killed by small forwards a lot.
So it sounds like we need 10 replacement improvements, additions to the list, to win a premiership.

With Paddy Dow likely to leave what about James Harmes from Melbourne as midfield backup? Turns 28 soon, was a 2022 Premiership player and has 150 games of experience.
Harmes is a what we already have but a small step down on Kennedy & Hewett. Would be horrendous list managment to add another slow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgess is the Nick Graham/Mick Gibbons of key forwards imo.

He's clearly an elite VFL player, but he doesn't have the physical attributes to make it at AFL level. He's a trier and will give you all he's got, but unfortunately it's not enough at the top level.

I love the guy, he's actually my wife's favourite player and has a singed jersey from him, but unfortunately he's a classic case of "too good for VFL, not good enough for AFL", which is a shame because it's such an awful place to be in.

Last edited:
So it sounds like we need 10 replacement improvements, additions to the list, to win a premiership.

Hardly.

A list is 42+ players.

A premiership team is 22 (+1).

Fogarty, Owies, Cuningham, Pittonet, Fisher, Young, O'Brien, Plowman, Honey were the players named as somewhat lacking.

Only two of them were considered Best 22 in our prelim side.

Fogarty is widely tipped to be the one replaced by Hollands if we get him (and he warrants selection). If not - that's still just a single spot in the 22 that is being fought over by Fogarty, Owies, Cuningham and Durdin.

Pittonet is divisive, I get that. Hard to tell if his form in the back end of the year was what we'll see moving forward, as he looked to be labouring a bit more than usual. Could be he was carrying something but the club elected to play him anyway if they felt TDK would benefit significantly from the support. That being said, I'd hope that Pitto is keeping a spot warm for O'Keeffe. If Hudson comes on well in the next 12 months, and TDK continues to build, we could see a situation where TDK assumes the number one ruck mantle and O'Keeffe comes in as the relief ruck - with Pitto then becoming more than handy ruck depth, or even trade bait.

I reckon the squad is already capable of pinching a flag. I think another 2-3 key components could take us from "capable" to "likely". Anything beyond that is just future-proofing and depth.

Hardly.

A list is 42+ players.

A premiership team is 22 (+1).

Fogarty, Owies, Cuningham, Pittonet, Fisher, Young, O'Brien, Plowman, Honey were the players named as somewhat lacking.

Only two of them were considered Best 22 in our prelim side.

Fogarty is widely tipped to be the one replaced by Hollands if we get him (and he warrants selection). If not - that's still just a single spot in the 22 that is being fought over by Fogarty, Owies, Cuningham and Durdin.

Pittonet is divisive, I get that. Hard to tell if his form in the back end of the year was what we'll see moving forward, as he looked to be labouring a bit more than usual. Could be he was carrying something but the club elected to play him anyway if they felt TDK would benefit significantly from the support. That being said, I'd hope that Pitto is keeping a spot warm for O'Keeffe. If Hudson comes on well in the next 12 months, and TDK continues to build, we could see a situation where TDK assumes the number one ruck mantle and O'Keeffe comes in as the relief ruck - with Pitto then becoming more than handy ruck depth.

I reckon the squad is already capable of pinching a flag. I think another 2-3 key components could take us from "capable" to "likely". Anything beyond that is just future-proofing and depth.
All lists, even premiership ones, have room for improvement. Ours is no different. I agree with you that our required improvements dont run to ten.

Key for next year is finishing top two or at least top four. We can beat anyone - just need to ensure we are not compromised by poor ladder position and injuries heading into the finals next year.

What are everyone’s thoughts on Lachlan Schultz. Is he a FA?

ben carson t GIF

Well no, because those players aren't all part of our current best 22. However, I think a few can perform a role during a long season, but not enough to win a flag. You need a solid 35 players to get through a season.

I think our current 22 needs 1 or 2 changes, injuries notwithstanding.

If Zac Bailey or the equal played for Carlton I would be fully expecting us to win the premiership next season. Obviously we don’t have that player so I imagine someone like Hollands, although a long shot of making it, would be an attractive target.
Outside of him, I struggle to see the players available who are actually going to improve us or worth chasing.
I think our improvement will come from structural/game plan adjustments

Fingers crossed Austin has been working on an Acres-type deal in the background. Last year Bedford, Bobby Hill and Gunston were all traded for 2nd-3rd round picks and Rioli was included in the Horne-Francis deal for the equivalent of a 2nd. Hopefully he has identified a similar cheap upgrade for our forward 50 (plus Hollands) and then goes to work finding the longer-term pieces in the draft.

Unrestricted Free agent at the end of ‘24. So contracted. A very under rated player by many. While not pure silk, is one of those hard working modern pressure forwards who has sufficient skill to be a scoreboard threat. Very high impact.

I remain optimistic that with a good run at at, our own Corey Durdin will be similar, with perhaps a dash more class. Motlop has more potential, but on output Schultz would consistently be ahead of our current fleet in my opinion.
What about ex- Boxhill product, Switkowski? Contracted next year, whenever I watch WC(which is not often) he looks more dangerous than Schultz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back